Non white people using the word nigga...is that acceptable ?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Michelle

Non white people using the word nigga...is that acceptable ?

Unread post by Michelle » September 4th, 2003, 1:06 pm

People who are not black and not white....Asians, Latinos, greeks, hispanic, e.t.c Is this deemed as more acceptable? sayings such as ''what up my nigga''

An example is for years African American have been reclaiming the word "nigga", using it with such nonchalant frequency that many believe the word has been stripped of its potential for cruelty. Now, other groups are following suit, most notably Asian Americans.

Is this more acceptable ?
Last edited by Michelle on April 24th, 2005, 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Snowman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

It's just as unnaceptable for hispanics.

Unread post by Snowman » September 8th, 2003, 9:40 am

In every Cypress Hill tune the word is used atleast once. Big Pun, Fat Joe and the Terror Squad use the word all the time, and so do most chicano rappers.

Why is it that hispanics can use it?

Espacially Mr. Lil 1 or B-Real or Fat Joe who all have really light skin and are probably atleast half anglo.

even Jennifer Lopez who is only half puerto rican used it once.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: Non white people using the word nigga...is that acceptab

Unread post by bgcasper » September 8th, 2003, 10:39 am

in the city of compton when a chicano use the word niggaz its an insult or they are calling someone they thigh with who is black and the nigga might reply and say sup beaner ... the latinos in compton are mexicans they are not niggaz and they don't wanna be niggaz they just brown and proud to be what they are and they call each other esse or vato or homes but never iv heard them calling each others niggaz not in compton or watts... when they say nigaz is when they talk about other people who are black

MIDTOWN SB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Mars

Unread post by MIDTOWN SB » September 8th, 2003, 11:31 am

mexicans and black in the like the Mid City/Korea Town/West Adams area is coo with the blacks and shit, specially around like la high, they be sayin nigga all the time and nobody really trip, they be sayin it to each otha and to the blacks. Sometimes the asians say it but nobody really trip on it around. Hispanics and Blacks around here really aint beefin nothin major or nothing.

The last I check there were about 5 murders between 18th and BPS/R20s and the Mid City Stoners and the R. 20s have been beefin since about 1994. The Mexicans and Blacks in too many neighborhoods are at it.

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » November 16th, 2003, 3:13 pm

i never heard any one say what up my nigger, but i have heard what up my nigga. no matter how you put it it should not be used by any one non-black. the word was meant to put us down, make us seem less than human. but know that we've turned it into a form of greeting everybody wants to use it. when i see someone that's not black use this term i get angry. because you never know how they really feel, and what they really mean while using the word. how do i know that your not trying to call me out my name. if the history behind the word wasn't so violent, bloody, and hateful, i wouldn't mind non-blacks using it but for now how about a "what's up", instead.

E`S`T
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by E`S`T » November 16th, 2003, 5:46 pm

In the Harbor Area, I know for a fact that MOST ese gang members do not use the word "nigga". Casper is right in saying that most Mexican gangsters use the term "nigger" in refering to black gangs that they don't get along with. On the flip side I have heard black gangs(ecc 190) who are hella racist..use the term wetbacks, or beaners...to describe Mexicans...But in my opinion I think only blacks should use that word and everybody else stick with saying, homie, dog, loke, etc..but like I said, that's just my opinion..

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » November 17th, 2003, 7:57 am

in my opinion the word should only be used by blacks. that's just my opinion and i do back it up with very good reasons. everyone is intitled to their own opinion and that's what makes the world so great, i like to hears others views and love to debate. so thanks for giving me your feedback.

Michelle

Re: Nonwhite people using the word nigga..is that acceptable

Unread post by Michelle » December 13th, 2003, 3:26 pm

Sorry people, I should have typed ''nigga'' not ''nigger''. I spelt the word incorrectly. And I've studied about this I should have known better...

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » December 13th, 2003, 10:20 pm

I don't use controversial race based words with people when talking with them. I never have and my life is better for that choice. I treat people with respect. As a result of respecting people, instead of trying to show how "bad I am" or whatever testosterone fantasy people practice, I've had very few fights none of which have been started by me. I consider myself blessed because that those very few fights have ended without permanent damage to the aggressor or myself. I am lucky. I am lucky because I can not defend against a firearm or group of aggressors yet somehow I have lived into my forties by following the rules and showing respect and love to God's creation. Now that I am getting older I feel it is even more important. Peace.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » December 13th, 2003, 10:57 pm

""the latinos in compton are mexicans they are not niggaz and they don't wanna be niggaz they just brown and proud to be what they are and they call each other esse or vato or homes""

the same goes in my varrio casper. but you know that saying "different strokes for different folks". i know some people will throw it off on living in or close to a black hood as for why they use that term. but to me thats just a cop out or clean up, my hood, ARTESIA, damm near neighbors to compton and my homies dont be running around talking like that....

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » December 16th, 2003, 8:10 am

OH, I UNDERSTAND.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » December 23rd, 2003, 9:18 am

The word nigga has been reclaimed from the hate of the opressors of history. But does that make it positive if used by a black, white or asian person. In my opinion - NO. Move on peeps, move on. There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere.....

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » December 25th, 2003, 4:49 pm

I'M FEELIN WHAT U SAYIN.

Ykz_hapa_girl

Unread post by Ykz_hapa_girl » January 11th, 2004, 10:32 pm

I think that it's alright to say 'nigga', no matter who you are, as long as you aren't offending anyone by doing so (you don't need to be black to be offended by the word nigga...). Plus, techically, the word 'nigger' refers anyone belonging to a dark skinned race, so you could say that it was ok if an islander or mexican used the word nigga. Personally, I do belong to a dark-skinned race, but do not use the word nigga because plenty of people here would take offense.

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » January 26th, 2004, 1:01 pm

but who's to say when your out of line.

STREETGANG111
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by STREETGANG111 » February 16th, 2004, 9:14 am

`
Last edited by STREETGANG111 on March 22nd, 2004, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluecollar
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bluecollar » February 16th, 2004, 1:35 pm

The "n-word" should not be used in context when speaking . . . it should stay in the history books. From what I have learned in my history courses, the "n-word" has a special place in history where it should of stayed . . . Now we have people using the word frequently and it is causing a lot of problems. For example, I am a non-black person who listens to rap quite often because I like the beats and the rhythm but not necessarily the lyrics. I constantly want to say the "N-word" because it is part of the lyrics in the songs and also its use has proliferated in my generation especially. For example, a lot of comedy acts with Chris Tucker and Chappelle involve the use of the word "Nigga."

In this essence, the word should be accepted into common speech if it continues to be used on a frequent basis. Although it is cliche that blacks should be the only one allowed to use it, that "simple" segregation of only allowing blacks to use it is not uniting us at all but instead keeps us apart from racial interaction. For example, three years ago I worked with about thirteen other black males at a summer camp for kids between 7-12 years old. Due to our friendly relationship and our similar tastes in music, style, and forms of communication . . . I began to merge with them in terms of how they acted and how they behaved, especially in group situations. Although I never explicitly said the "N-word", I did communicate to them in a more open tongue that normally wouldn't be appropriate to our society.

Generally, I believe that our society also has a problem with minorities getting out of hand just because in history they had been subjugated. For example, Black Entertainment Television is very biased in its audience . . . no, don't think I don't watch it, I do . . . but just the name itself causes a lot of unnecessarily caution from people who are white, etc . . . People ask "why is it called "BLACK" entertainment television"? Why don't we just have a "Latino entertainment television" or maybe an "Asian Entertainment Television" or how about a "White entertainment television."

As you see, the complexity of this issue is way beyond the scope of a simple yes or no answer. Hopefully, as our society continues to develop socially, economically, and viably . . . we can continue to expand our horizons and thus close limiting engagements between our cultures.
Last edited by bluecollar on March 8th, 2004, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » February 26th, 2004, 12:52 pm

J-Lo said niggas in one of her videos. anybody remember that?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » February 26th, 2004, 9:23 pm

No man, I'm white and I would definitely not call any black guy 'nigga' and that's simply out of respect.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » March 11th, 2004, 12:17 pm

STREETGANG111 wrote:No it's not acceptable for non-BLACKS to be calling us niggas. It's not acceptable for BLACK people, to be calling each other nigga.
^^^^^Truth^^^

Why is it that Blacks are the only race that have turned a word, a derogatory word like that around and use it now as a word of endearment???? From kids, to parents to grandparents, I think most Blacks used the word until they notice other races using it and thought it was ok (until they got their a$$es beat).

No other race does this Hispanics don't call each other Beaners, Wetbacs, Spics, Jews - Kikes, Filipinos - Flips, Whites - Crackers, Peckerwoords- some do.

(No disrespect intended, proving a point).

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 11th, 2004, 12:29 pm

actually, when I used to kick it with asians, I ad a couple homies from WC who did call each other nip. Viets too used to call each other gook, I even had a couple homies that were gooky and lil gooky. And filipinos do call each other flips.

Pasa
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Pasa » March 11th, 2004, 12:30 pm

ONLY BLACKS SHOULD USE THIS WORD. HOWEVER WE TWIST OR ABUSE IT IS OUR BUSINESS. THERES NOTHIN ELSE TO REALLY SAY ABOUT THAT. OTHER RACES SHOULD STICC TO THE SCRIPT. I GET SICK OF PEOPLE FROM OTHER RACES WHO WANNA BE BLACK OR ACT BLACK AND TRY TO TURN IT INTO SOME UNIVERSAL TERM LIKE ITS ALL GOOD. I RESPECT PEOPLE WHO ARE TRUE TO THEIR ROOTS WITHOUT BEIN PREJUDICE TO MINE. I WOULD LOVE TO KICC IT with A CHOLO WHO BARELY KNOW ENGLISH THAN A "BLEXICAN" OR A "WIGGER" OR A "BLASIAN" WHO TRYIN TO COPY MY MANNERISMS...

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » March 11th, 2004, 12:36 pm

Panik wrote:actually, when I used to kick it with asians, I ad a couple homies from WC who did call each other nip. Viets too used to call each other gook, I even had a couple homies that were gooky and lil gooky. And filipinos do call each other flips.
Good......have you called them those names before???? You see the subject of this topic. If it is acceptable for them to use it, then why can't you?? And if you called them those names (homies or not) what would have happened to you?? You are white correct??

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 11th, 2004, 12:44 pm

If I ever were to call anyone out their name, it's cuz I'm trytin to start somethin, and yeah, they would probably not be cool with it, except for when dude's name is gooky, you can't get around that one. You're missing my point. I agree that nobody that isn't black should be callin nobody nigga. But you said taht other races that weren't black don't call themselves by racially disrespectful names and I was just letting you know that this is not the case.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 11th, 2004, 3:31 pm

I don't call anyone by racial epitaphs and would look down on someone if they did that to me.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » March 11th, 2004, 5:13 pm

Panik wrote: You're missing my point. I agree that nobody that isn't black should be callin nobody nigga. But you said taht other races that weren't black don't call themselves by racially disrespectful names and I was just letting you know that this is not the case.
No....I see where you going. What I am saying is that Blacks should NOT use the word period!! Generations of Black folks use the word. Has you grandmother or mother ever called you or your friends "lil crackers"? I am not clownin homie, but your response speaks on street culture or youth culture of other ethnicities/races. What I am talking about is DAILY Black culture!! Ask your Asian homies if their mom or fathers call them flips or gooks, then you see what I mean.

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » April 19th, 2004, 11:38 am

if you white it ain't right!

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by sexy365 » April 21st, 2004, 1:03 pm

WHATEVA YA SAY

bluecollar
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bluecollar » April 21st, 2004, 8:49 pm

Pasa wrote:ONLY BLACKS SHOULD USE THIS WORD. HOWEVER WE TWIST OR ABUSE IT IS OUR BUSINESS. THERES NOTHIN ELSE TO REALLY SAY ABOUT THAT. OTHER RACES SHOULD STICC TO THE SCRIPT. I GET SICK OF PEOPLE FROM OTHER RACES WHO WANNA BE BLACK OR ACT BLACK AND TRY TO TURN IT INTO SOME UNIVERSAL TERM LIKE ITS ALL GOOD. I RESPECT PEOPLE WHO ARE TRUE TO THEIR ROOTS WITHOUT BEIN PREJUDICE TO MINE. I WOULD LOVE TO KICC IT with A CHOLO WHO BARELY KNOW ENGLISH THAN A "BLEXICAN" OR A "WIGGER" OR A "BLASIAN" WHO TRYIN TO COPY MY MANNERISMS...
ummm . . . yeah . . . how am I supposed to sing rap songs when like 90% of them involve the N-word? Its nice to invoke favoritism on races right? WRONG

Basically, if I am listening to a rap song and I hear the "n-word" and I'm singing along (like most people do), I'm going to say it whether blacks like it or not. You would make a great dictator Pasa!

"OTHER RACES SHOULD STICC TO THE SCRIPT"

Did blacks "STICC" to the "script" in slavery??? Hmm I don't think so. Good thing the abolitionists in the North (19th century) and political circumstances didn't "STICC" to the "Script" otherwise I do believe slavery would still be in effect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to mention, BET (Black Entertainment Television) should change its name. Although I am a full supporter of racial equality, I don't believe BLACK Entertainment Television helps persuade those to support racial equality especially since the name segregates itself from all other races.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reference to my analogies, there are only analogies and not beliefs. No harm was intended in anything written above. Just supporting logical reasoning with examples from history and common sense.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » April 22nd, 2004, 10:16 am

^^An observation.......
bluecollar wrote: ummm . . . yeah . . . how am I supposed to sing rap songs when like 90% of them involve the N-word? Its nice to invoke favoritism on races right? WRONG

Basically, if I am listening to a rap song and I hear the "n-word" and I'm singing along (like most people do), I'm going to say it whether blacks like it or not. You would make a great dictator Pasa!.
^Understandable....hard to argue this point. The rappers themselves should be checked on that.......But there is respect and understanding your surroundings (you may get hurt saying that around the wrong Black people)...Also, if someone of a white, Hispanic or Asian ethnicity made a song with internal racial epithets, would it be acceptable for Blacks or others to use them (i.e. Cracker, Honkey, Wetbac, Beaner, Flip, Gook, Chink, I could go on, but you get the picture).??
bluecollar wrote:"OTHER RACES SHOULD STICC TO THE SCRIPT"

Did blacks "STICC" to the "script" in slavery??? Hmm I don't think so. Good thing the abolitionists in the North (19th century) and political circumstances didn't "STICC" to the "Script" otherwise I do believe slavery would still be in effect.
^^And what script was slavery BYTCH!?!!! Are you with the klan??!!......Just Fing with you. I do not see how you can bring the analogy of slavery into a discussion on "Non-white people using the word N....is that acceptable".
bluecollar wrote:Not to mention, BET (Black Entertainment Television) should change its name. Although I am a full supporter of racial equality, I don't believe BLACK Entertainment Television helps persuade those to support racial equality especially since the name segregates itself from all other races...
^^^OK.........Lets also get RID of Telemundo, KMEX, and all the other racially segregated television networks.
bluecollar wrote:In reference to my analogies, there are only analogies and not beliefs. No harm was intended in anything written above. Just supporting logical reasoning with examples from history and common sense.
^^No harm taken my brother.

Michelle

Unread post by Michelle » May 1st, 2004, 1:07 pm

bluecollar wrote: Not to mention, BET (Black Entertainment Television) should change its name. Although I am a full supporter of racial equality, I don't believe BLACK Entertainment Television helps persuade those to support racial equality especially since the name segregates itself from all other races.

Well, I think...at least this channel gives black people the chance to represent themselves fairly, whereas many other channels don't do that.....maybe all the fuss is about puting ''black'' in the title....but there are asian, hispanic channels about also....