Filipinos allying with Mexicans

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Filipinos allying with Mexicans

Unread post by wizdom » February 20th, 2005, 7:58 pm

i heard Filipinos were allying with Mexicans in LA. and they have a set called Santanas or something. i also heard there are Filipinos joining black crip gangs in Long Beach

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Filipinos allying with Mexicans

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 20th, 2005, 9:50 pm

wizdom wrote:i heard Filipinos were allying with Mexicans in LA. and they have a set called Santanas or something. i also heard there are Filipinos joining black crip gangs in Long Beach
This is old news bro. Temple St Threce up in Los Angeles was started up by a Pinoy but is largely a hispanic/latino gang in Los although they do have sets that are largely Pinoy outside of los angeles.

Satanas has a lot of latino/hispanic members but that don't mean EVERY asian/Pinoy is linked up on the streets in Califas. That will never happen in the pinta.

In Long Beach, some Pinoys join up with the Asian Crip Sets and you have on a very rare occasion, join up with the Longeros. There are many that I know from Longeros who are half Filipino but they don't really count.

Most of the Crip gang sets get along with the Asian sets but that don't mean theyre clicked up.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 21st, 2005, 11:06 am

oh, im not really from cali. i been up there. im not even Filipino, but i was in LBC and my girl kousins who klaim crip, say that some Filipino niggas getting down with some black crip gangs. so do alot of Filipinos ally with the mexicans? and are they big up there. cause Filipinos is big in Jersey City, NJ and some Filipinos bang Outlaw Loco Bloods in Chi-town.

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 21st, 2005, 1:02 pm

wizdom wrote:oh, im not really from cali. i been up there. im not even Filipino, but i was in LBC and my girl kousins who klaim crip, say that some Filipino niggas getting down with some black crip gangs. so do alot of Filipinos ally with the mexicans? and are they big up there. cause Filipinos is big in Jersey City, NJ and some Filipinos bang Outlaw Loco Bloods in Chi-town.
yeah in the LBC some blacks and asians are beefing because some of the asian sets are claiming new colors like blood (red rag of course) and the grey rag which don't settle right with the black crip sets.

but pinoys and mexicans in the lbc hooking up won't happen. too many pinoys are getting mistaken for being cambodian or bein from trg/abz sets. and also, pinoy sets in LBC are fading away. gangs like westside islanders aren't as active anymore.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » February 22nd, 2005, 1:18 pm

Grey is a Crip color to certain sets.

Military Mind
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Military Mind » February 22nd, 2005, 2:23 pm

WHAT I KNOW IS THAT THEIR IS A FIGHT BEWTEEN A MEXICAN AND A FILIPINO BOXERS. THE ONLY THING I KNOW IS THAT ITLL GET PRETTY UGLY IF MORALES LOSES AGAINTS MANNY PAC@%#*

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » February 22nd, 2005, 2:31 pm

In LA it is not uncommon for Filipinos and Mexicans to be from the same set or to kick it with each other, a lot of them grew up in the same areas especially in the rampart, echo park, and silverlake areas. Plus a lot of Filipinos have a significant amount of Spanish blood in them and the language is a bit similar to Spanish, so there is somewhat of a cultural link between Filipinos and Mexicans.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » February 22nd, 2005, 3:13 pm

Spanish ain't Mexican

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 22nd, 2005, 4:55 pm

Silencioso wrote:Spanish ain't Mexican
But some Mexicans have Spanish blood and speak Spanish. We along witht the Filipinos have a lot of Spanish Colonial History beyond our colors of skin homie.

and that Manny v. Morales fight - i Seen that poster up in Los about "mexico v. phillippines" war with a pair of pinoys v. a pair of mexicans.

you know when and where this fight is set homie>

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 22nd, 2005, 5:22 pm

yea Filipinos do have spanish blood, in them cause some of them ni99as B lookin spanish and one time i heard em talkin and i could of swore it was spanish.

And Westside Islanders in LBC was a Filipino gang? and Filipinos and Crips dont B getting along. i dunno i heard different but im not from there. and i aint never been there.

my homeboy from NY is Filipino he's mad thoro. and i live in Chicago now and the Blood gang here is Outlaw Loco Bloods and its mostly Cambodians, viets and shit, some black ni99as in the set tho too.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 22nd, 2005, 6:53 pm

PlayaLarga wrote:
But some Mexicans have Spanish blood and speak Spanish. We along witht the Filipinos have a lot of Spanish Colonial History beyond our colors of skin homie.

and that Manny v. Morales fight - i Seen that poster up in Los about "mexico v. phillippines" war with a pair of pinoys v. a pair of mexicans.

I beleive it will be in Vegas (?) but i could be wrong - March 19th.

The Pinoys from Zamboanga speak spanish, so do many from Manila/Luzon. A lot of those Pinoys that have a Navy background, work the U.S. Customs at the border. They're cool people - as we call each other "mandilones" lol.

The Old School Pinoys in "LOS" rode togheter with the Chicanos and spoke fluent spanish. I have a story about the pachuco dress style having been heavely influenced by the Pinoys in the 40's.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 22nd, 2005, 7:39 pm

The Old School Pinoys in "LOS" rode togheter with the Chicanos and spoke fluent spanish. I have a story about the pachuco dress style having been heavely influenced by the Pinoys in the 40's.

Tell the story nigga, i wanna hear.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 22nd, 2005, 7:42 pm

Gotta type it all up foolio, it will take me some time, but i'll get it in here, just hang tight.

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » February 23rd, 2005, 7:40 am

lonewolf wrote:
PlayaLarga wrote:

I beleive it will be in Vegas (?) but i could be wrong - March 19th.

The Pinoys from Zamboanga speak spanish, so do many from Manila/Luzon. A lot of those Pinoys that have a Navy background, work the U.S. Customs at the border. They're cool people - as we call each other "mandilones" lol.

*Who influenced the Pinoys?

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 23rd, 2005, 9:20 am

wizdom wrote:yea Filipinos do have spanish blood, in them cause some of them ni99as B lookin spanish and one time i heard em talkin and i could of swore it was spanish.

And Westside Islanders in LBC was a Filipino gang? and Filipinos and Crips dont B getting along. i dunno i heard different but im not from there. and i aint never been there.

my homeboy from NY is Filipino he's mad thoro. and i live in Chicago now and the Blood gang here is Outlaw Loco Bloods and its mostly Cambodians, viets and shit, some black ni99as in the set tho too.
a little history on westside islanders:

they started off as a guamanian lowrider crew in the 70's in long beach. it wasn't until the mid to late 80's where pinoys from stephen's middle school in westside long beach started getting in. this is where the original turf wars started between longeros and the islanders.

by the 1990s and after that, the majority of the gang started to be filipino and they began letting in other races like african americans (INDO, CHAKA, SHADOW, DEMON), whites (GHOST, CASPER), samoans (Boxer, HMS click) and even latinos (MUGSY, RAIDER, SNIPER, ETC) with clikas such as the "criminals" or CMS which branched off from long beach to cerritos, la palma, norwalk.

islanders did claim crip for a while as i recall it with some members of the 33rd st because of some of the Blacks started claiming it like INDO.. however, things started getting complicated during the mid 1990s when some of the members wanted to claim SUR.

------

thanks for the info on the fight though lonewolf - but i was actually asking about another boxing matchup that's supposed to be in los angeles between a pair of pinoys and a pair of mexicans. just seen a poster of it somewhere in the los.

and i'd also like to hear the history of pinoys and pachuco's!
Last edited by PlayaLarga on February 23rd, 2005, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 23rd, 2005, 9:26 am

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 23rd, 2005, 9:31 am

so the Westside Islanders dont exist no more?

project blowed
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by project blowed » February 23rd, 2005, 10:09 am

wizdom wrote:so the Westside Islanders dont exist no more?
They got some pee-wee's around the westside still trying to recruit and trying to put in work but they are not as active as they were hardcore during the 90's and earlier 2000's. they aren't as deep and high-profile nowadays.

the older vet's that i come in contact with have familia and/or have two strikes under their belts.

Trey
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trey » February 23rd, 2005, 3:48 pm

playalarga do you know the history of TRG and ABZ... i hear so many different stories

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 23rd, 2005, 8:09 pm

I'm working on the story, i ain't forgotten.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 23rd, 2005, 8:31 pm

Lol, yea ni99a, i wanna hear the story. but damn i didn't know filipinos was that big on the west. ni99as tell me they bang with ese's. in the east, no offense all the filipino ni99as i know is sum bitches. i know some thoro ones. my lil ni99a from NY who was down with a Blood set was mad thoro. and sum ni99as in the BX. Jersey City has filipino gangs. but most of em just aint banging or pretenders. But i heard they be bangin hard in the west. i went there i saw i few of em roll in pacKs But i aint realli see nothing. any nigga can roll in pacKs and B Bi-tches

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » February 24th, 2005, 8:51 am

Yo i sont know about no mexicans allying with filipinos but the fight is going to be ill. Mexicans are looking for a win in the Morales and Pacyow boxing fight. All i know is that latins aint goin for no mexican.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 24th, 2005, 9:48 am

when's the fight gon be? is it gonna be on PPV?

FUSNOWMAN
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by FUSNOWMAN » February 24th, 2005, 10:29 am

Since i dont have access to VIP section yet...

How deep were the filipinos gangs back than. From what i'm reading here in street gang...filipino gangs seem to be fading away.

can anyone name some notorious filipino gangs?

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 24th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Trey wrote:playalarga do you know the history of TRG and ABZ... i hear so many different stories
being born and raised in lb myself, i heard conflicting stories from even some members of TRG so i don't want to spit out some arguably false information. but what i will tell you right now is basically the foundation of how it started but not exactly, who started it and where.

TRG started in LB as a response to getting bullied by mainly hispanic/latinos gangs like eastside longeros and barrio pobre.

during the late 70's and early 80's, the u.s. granted passage to about half a million hmongs, vietnamese, and cambodian immigrants from war-entrenched cambodia, loas, and vietnam.

most of them at the time, came to the port of long beach and los angeles and settled around these areas. they recieved a lot of help in the form of federal aids and grants to get established.

the areas were they settled, especially around south/downtown long beach (eastside) were predominantly black and hispanic at the time where such and such street gangs were already in place.

as you might already expect, the first generation and young vietnamese, hmong, khmer youth weren't accepted (not all of them) with open arms by established sets such as the Eastside Longeros or the Barrio Pobre. They were picked on, bullied, while going to school, whatever.

So in response, Khmer, Hmong gang sets such as TRG, EFCC started to emerge.

i have had a close friend from TRG who used to tell me stories on how he thought at times, the life in cambodia was almost the same as living in the eastside of long beach, fearing for his life everyday - getting shot at by longeros day in and day out.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 24th, 2005, 6:59 pm

No, most definitely not. But the same Conquistadores that pillaged and raped "full-blooded" Mexicans also took their same ways to the Phillippines, to do the same thing until Magellan got beheaded.

A lot of the Tagalog language has influences of Spanish words. A chicano homie of mine said it was easy for a pinoy to learn and speak spanish, but it was difficult for him to learn Tagalog. I agree, because there isn't much of a written book or rule to Tagalog, like there is for Spanish.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 24th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Yea, my cousin who's half filipino, he spoke tagalog fluently and he worked in a restaurant where they hired mexicans, i would work there sometimes and within like 3 or 4 months he was sorda understanding them. like i wouldn't say he was fluent in spanish, but he was say like a lot of different sentences. i saw him 4 months ago, and he talkin to them like he was spanish. LOL, its funny kause my kousin failed Spanish in HS, but only took him like 3 months to learn alot of phrases and now he's fluent.

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » February 24th, 2005, 9:41 pm

FUSNOWMAN wrote:Since i dont have access to VIP section yet...

How deep were the filipinos gangs back than. From what i'm reading here in street gang...filipino gangs seem to be fading away.

can anyone name some notorious filipino gangs?
Satanas (Los Anegeles, Cerritos)
Sarzana (Cerritos)
Scout Royal BrotherHood (Carson)
Vigilantes (Bay Area)
Real Pinoy Brotherhood (Bay Area, Carson)
Westside Islanders (Long Beach, Cerritos, Norwalk, Artesia)
Stateside Islanders (San Diego)
Bahala Na Gang (Torrance, San Diego, Los Angeles)
Pinoy Real (Atwater)
Local Boys (LBC)
----------
These are the gangs who Ive come to experience based on some incidences and run-ins and some homies that I've met along the way that are largely Pinoy sets and these are what I considered the most "hardcore" or should i say active- during my years in middle school and high school.

there might be some o.g. pinoys on this board who can shed some more light on this since gangs like BNG, STS have a real deep history.

-----

in terms of fading away i dont know since i've been out of my old neighborhood in long beach (although i visit familia there every other week for short stays) and currently stay here in the LOS because of work.

someone else who has a bigger picture on pinoy gangs around ca might be able to chime in

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 28th, 2005, 4:36 pm

The 3 oldest Filipino gangs in Califas that i know of, were STS Satanas & TST Temple STreet in the West Side of L.A. these two were always joined up with the Chicanos since the late 1920's.
Satanas became more predominatly Filipino by the 70's, while Temple Street became more Chicano, still both have a deep history of being mix Filipino/Chicano gangs.
The 3rd one was the TABOOS up in Northern California in the Bay Area, not much is known about them, they disappeared early on, don't really know how that came about - maybe because of the larger migration of Chinese to the Bay Area and The Bracero program of the 40's which brought in over 4 million Mexican migrant farm workers, most of them into Northern and Central California.

In San Diego, the Filipinos continued to come in full-force even to this day, and several communities were predominantly Filipino, such as Varrio Del Sol all the way up into the 50's, but even here in Del Sol, both ethnic groups walked side-by-side.

I posted the story of "THE ZOOT SUIT ORIGIN" in the topic of "A HISTORY OF CHICANO GANGS" - Hispanic forum for East L.A.

In that story there is a Filipino tie-in with the zoot-suit style of the Pachucos that goes back to the mid-to-late 1920's.

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » March 1st, 2005, 1:58 pm

lonewolf wrote:The Pinoys from Zamboanga speak spanish, so do many from Manila/Luzon. A lot of those Pinoys that have a Navy background, work the U.S. Customs at the border. They're cool people - as we call each other "mandilones" lol.

so where's the story homie?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » March 1st, 2005, 2:09 pm

THE ZOOT SUIT ORIGIN ~ By Lonewolf

There can be no certainty about when, where, or who originated the zoot-suit.

The zoot-suit “tuxedo” never has been attributed to any single group or ethnicity.

Historically, “everybody got their own claim to it”.

The Filipinos in the west coast had what was termed by some as the Hawaiian look – a radical style with a “long” coat, pancake hats (recognizable by their flattened tops), and thick-soled shoes.

The Blacks of Harlem had the “killer-diller-coat”, which was a “drape” shaped coat with padded shoulders, and a one tone color scheme.

Even the Italians had their own version, a bit more in line with the Italian Mobster suit of the 20’s, but with bufont (elvis) type hairstyle and “trench” coats.

The word ZOOT comes from a Jazz term used when referring to something extravagant, something with flash, and that is exactly what the zoot-suit developed into by the 30’s, “cool & smooth”, yet definitely projecting a flashy appearance.

By 1943, the year of the infamous zoot-suit riots, it had become the uniform of a whole generation of youth through out America.
It distinguished itself as a form of youthful attire that was tied in with rebelliousness.
The zoot-suit began to be sung about, swung about, and memorialized on stage & screen, becoming immortalized in time.

Undoubtedly, the zoot-suit had its birth as “fashion”, but where did it originate in its infancy is the subject of many discussions on the topic.

There is several commonly referred to stories that speak on the origin of the zoot-suit.
One taken from the New York Times front-page article written during the zoot-suit riots of 1943, makes the claim that a certain Clyde Duncan, a black bus worker from Gainesville had purchased the first tailor-made zoot-suit after having seen and been inspired by Rhett Butler in the movie “Gone With The Wind”.

Another story originates the zoot-suit in Britain after the First World War when people elated that the Great War and “rationing” was over, indulged themselves with outlandish styles of fashion. From the export of British fashion through out the farthest reaches of the British Empire, the style is said to have reached Hong Kong and then onto Manila, right at the time when Filipinos were migrating in large numbers to Hawaii and California. The Filipinos brought with them the style and after intermingling with the Mexican Gangsters and partaking with them, the zoot-suit style in Los Angeles took a path of which now is the look with which we are now most familiar with.

Yet another story, and one that is taken to be “the real”, argues that the zoot-suit grew out from the Swing-Jazz culture. In particular from places such as “Harlem’s Night-Life” purporting to the exhibitionist style of the on-stage band performers of the times and their extravagant costumes.

Another story that scholars have given credibility to, is of the Pachuco zoot-suit originating from the military uniforms of the ZOUAVES (French Foreign Legion), ex-soldiers who remained in Northern Mexico after their abandonment by Napoleon, who chose to remain in Mexico instead of returning to France. Later, many of them also migrated north to the borderlands amongst the waves of others. These ZOUAVES had a very distinctive baggy colorful uniform, and the Legionnaires had a legendary reputation of being tough daredevil warriors. The wandering bands of performing Gypsies whom also displayed an extreme baggy and colorful art of dressing, along with adorning their bodies with tattoos and earrings, were copied and later became the trademarks of the Pachuco style of extreme colorful bagginess in their attire, with accessorized adornments, incorporated along with the reputation for toughness.

Many historians point out to the unique and autonomous culture that Mexican-Americans created for themselves, which allowed them to survive and resist racial oppression as the context in which the “glamorous” zoot-suit was born. The assertion is made that the Pachucos laid claim to their own bodies through the clothes they chose, and altered them to fit their attitude. The hairstyles, the dances, the stroll, and the language, they devised for themselves, and in doing such, they were displaying and asserting their right to control public spaces usually dominated by whites.

The Mexican poet Octavio Paz, wrote a book “The Labyrinth of Solitude” in which he sheds light on the Pachuco style and establishes a framework under which the Zoot-Suit can be understood within the context of the “pachuquismo” attitude in the borderlands.
From the changes in labour and social order that the waves of immigrants encountered when coming in contact with the ambivalent experience between two cultures, the birth of a unique style of attire was born, much in-line with “pachuquismo” identity.

It is at the borderland town of El Paso (aka: El Chuco), where the theory of the origin and spread of the zoot-suit lies in. And it is through the “El Paso-Los Angeles trail”, - the path that goes hand in hand with the migration and dispersal of this culture along the major Mexican cities of the Southwestern United States (referred amongst Chicanos as AZTLAN), - where the zoot-suit culture gained popular National recognition.

It is at this conjuncture that the Pachuco Zoot-Suiters interactions and relationships with other ethnic groups is crucial, for it was in an era when American Swing-Jazz music, and motorcars were at the center of a subculture of wild living, an era in which breaking the rules of social etiquette was hip, an era full of “isms”, from feminism to gangsterism.
This was the era when Prohibition (18th Amendment) escalated smuggling, and gangs grew in numbers and became more organized – thus the subculture grew right-along-side prohibition.
Drugs at this time, mainly marijuana, heroin, and cocaine, came into wide use, and Stylin’ became the child of liberalism in a society in which everyone wished for an outlet from the mediocrity of their limited world surrounding them.
When Prohibition ended, the subculture of jazz, drugs & stylin’ did not go away, and neither did the gangsters.

It was during this era that the Pachucos in the urban areas from El Paso to Los Angeles became known for their style of dress, idioms of speech, and their counterculture activities. The Pachuco phenomenon passed beyond the “fashion fad”, for it produced a cultural entity of nonconformity symbolism, displayed as “in-your-face” ethnic pride rebellion.
Pachucos walked around making political statements through fashion and speech.
They developed a unique language called Calo, a unique argot that employed words and phrases absorbed from the language of the Gypsies, creatively applied to Spanish terminology, and imaginatively adapted transformed English loan words.
They also developed a mannerism in which hand and face gestures combined with body movements in a display of “cool communication”.
They transformed a “relaxed night-out tuxedo” into a “flamboyant outfit” tailor-made from fine-cloth materials.

The outfit (tacuche) included
Baggy trousers (tramos) held high on the waist and cuffed snugly at the ankles, supported by either suspenders or a thin belt around a set of 3 or 5 waits ear loops.
A sport coat (carlango) that fitted wide at the shoulders and hung down to the thighs.
Shoes (calcos) pointed at the toes, with metal tips and heels & two-toned color black with a white middle.
A long decorative gold watch chain displayed conspicuously from the trouser belt ear loops drooping down below the knees then back up to the trouser pocket.
A fedora type feathered hat (tando), with long groomed slicked back hair with ducktails and kept down with pomade.
A silky dark or bright colored shirt (lisa) complimented by a short but wide tie.

When Pachucos borrowed from white or black forms, be they clothing or music, they virtually always altered them to suit their cultural taste – a practice that continues to this present day with the Chicanos.
Every time something was borrowed from a style of others, the Pachucos quickly deformed and altered it, and they did so in an exaggerated or mocking way.

Although the zoot-suit was worn by young people of various ethnic groups, it was only after the Pachucos stylized and accessorized it with everything from attitude and body movement to lingo – taking it from a “fashion-fad night-out tuxedo” to the baggy flamboyant outfit – that became the beacon of youthful rebelliousness.

The Mexican poet Octavio Paz called the zoot-suit, “a symbol of love and joy – of horror and loathing, an embodiment of liberty, disorder, and the forbidden”.

In the 1940’s, the “Negro Quarterly” and “Crisis”, both part of the independent press of America, wrote editorials in which they pointed to the zoot-suit being the “product” of a particular social context. They emphasized the importance of Mexican-American youths in the emergence of the zoot-suit style, in whose tentative ways, they tried to relate their appearance on the “streets” to the concept of “pachuquismo” – this encompassed a social-cultural-fabric that arrived from Mexico in the waves of immigrants urban America.

It is important to distinguish between the xoot-suit culture of African & Mexican-Americans, while both are expressions of countercultures and reflect alienation of young men in America; they remain different in their appropriations of history and of “their own versions”.

The depression brought on widespread unemployment and poverty, causing many young people to feel like “dead ends”. This phenomenon of the dead ends was taken to the stage and screen where it proved an enormously popular image in which many identified with. By the 1940’s American fashion was still gangster oriented, and the gangs gravitated largely around minority ethnic groups.

The zoot-suit reigned with Mexican-American gangs, but in many cities, especially those on the jazz scene, many others also wore the zoot-suits. Los Angeles went on to become a mecca for jazz artist, and Blacks, Mexicans, and Filipinos thrilled to the jazz culture, although the Pachucos also had a separate taste in music as well, this being el Mambo, la Rumba, el Danzon, Guaracha and los Botecitos. Music and dance style facets were continuously in flux, and projected varying degrees of influence from Latin to Black on the Pachuco zoot-suiters.

While Pachuco zoot-suit”ism” spread across the Southwestern U.S. it also spread south into Mexico, and to other unexpected areas such as urban areas of the Midwest.
The culture surely gained “International” recognition through its propagation in “Mexican Cinema” after famous comedians and actors in the caliber of “Tin Tan and Resortes” from El Paso/Juarez & Mexico/Tepito’s Barrio Bravo respectably, unabashedly took on and propagated the Pachuco style to the world.

As some dissertations on similar topics allude, pachuquismo, jazz musicians, ethnic migrations, and the zoot-suit riots are some of the factors catalyzing the spread of the zoot-suit as a dress style.

THESE FACTORS HELP EXPLAIN NOT ONLY THE SPREAD OF THE STYLE, BUT ALSO ITS ORIGINS IN DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS AND REGIONS.

ajay049
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ajay049 » March 1st, 2005, 4:54 pm

Hey folks. I'm with NF (XIV) up in Frisco where shit pops off 24-7. I moved to the east bay since and I see Mexicans hookin up with Pinoys all across the SF Bay. My dad is Filipino and my mom is Mexican....we call ourselves MexiPinos. This ethnic blend is very common and large up in Nor-Cal due to the social ties and settlement history that goes back to Cesar Chavez and the Filipino La Union. Yet I only see the ties with the 1st & 2nd generation Filipino-Americans and the Mexican Americans. Those who came from the Philippens don't network as much with the Mexicans, as well as the Mexicans from Mexico not networking with Filipinos. Set wise...Nortenos have an easy alliance with most "old-school Pinoy gangs".

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”