LA Math test

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

LA Math test

Unread post by Anesis » May 1st, 2005, 6:32 pm

Lest I sound like I negate all "racist" posts, here is an example of something that has been proven. The following math test has been passed out to students in Manitoba, Texas, Indiana, Illinois, and California. This was passed out to an elementary school in Chicago in 1994. I'm assuming that the teachers thought it was funny.

I also have some CRAZY flyers that a teacher passed out at my school. A getting-know-you "BINGO" game that luckily wasn't passed out to the students. It sounded a lot like this test - Sign here if you AREN'T an illegal. Sign here if you know your baby dadddy. Sign here if were in ESL for over three years.

Here's a version of that test:
City of Los Angeles
High School Math Proficiency Exam

Name:__________________________
Gang:__________________________

1. Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?

3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800-per-day crack habit?

4. Jarone want to cut his 1/2 pound of heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?

5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy, and $100 for a 4X4. If he has stolen 2 BMWs, 3 4X4s, how many Chevies will he have to steal to make $800?

6. Raoul is in prison for 6 years for murder. He got $10,000 for the hit. If his common law wife is spending $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out of prison and how many years will he get for killing the bitch that spent his money?

7. If the average spray can covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can a tagger spray with 3 cans of paint?

8. Hector knocked up 6 girls in his gang. There are 27 girls in the gang. What percentage of the girls in the gang has Hector knocked up?

9. Thelma can cook dinner for her 16 children for $7.50 per night. She gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325 per month rent goes up 15%, how many more children should she have to keep up with her expenses?

10. Salvador was arrested for dealing crack and his bail was set at $25,000. If he pays a bail bondsman 12% and returns to Mexico, how much money will he lose by jumping bail?
Last edited by Anesis on May 3rd, 2005, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: LA Math test

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » May 1st, 2005, 6:42 pm

ur fuckin kiddin right?

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » May 1st, 2005, 6:59 pm

I did not write this. I have a huge folder/diary of the first year of hell that I went through when I started teaching. Yes, a teacher wrote this. I do not know who wrote this. It is handwritten, but I don't think there was a huge investigation done.

This was the actual BINGO game at my school:
Name three girls at *** who are not knocked up.
Can tell me where there father is incarcerated.
Knows five people not on probation.
Is familiar with [the principal] (she was NEVER at school)
Knows how to get to work other than in the back of a pick up truck
Can say "Got Corn" in another language (you could give canned corn to get out of punishment at the school)
Knows the tune to "You Better Back that Thing Up"
Can tell me the importance of birth control other than to (???) the welfare (???)
Has a teaching degree other than alternative certification
Can recite your welfare number and phone number in less than 30 seconds
Knows how to convert pesos to dollars
Recognizes the need to be married before you have your third child
Knows the difference between the principal and substitute teacher (a kid cussed out the principals once because he thought she was just a "fat sub.")
Can say hello and good-bye in English
Knows how many sex partners they have had in the last 2 weeks.
Knows the defining characteristics of a GED
Knows how to keep the same job for longer than 2 pay periods
Knows what language is spoken in the USA
Knows a synonym for the word work
Can tell me where the nearest free clinic can be found
Knows and can spell "illegal alien"
Had a son or daughter before they had their "15" celebration.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » May 1st, 2005, 7:32 pm

thats actually pretty good.
shit, i have trouble with those questions.
i mean if you can keep kids interested, then why not?

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 1st, 2005, 7:34 pm

thats shit is mad racist..... id have to step to my kids teacher if he ever bought any homework home looking like that

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » May 1st, 2005, 7:38 pm

I don't think I have ever heard of anything like that before. The closest thing I can think of was a paper I saw that stated the new homework policy at my old high school. I think it was just a joke among the teachers. It basically said that the students had to pay 10 cents to get the required homework from their teacher and if they didn't do it they would be expelled.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » May 1st, 2005, 10:15 pm

purplecityhello wrote:thats shit is mad racist..... id have to step to my kids teacher if he ever bought any homework home looking like that

My thoughts exactly. My kid is half hispanic, if he ever brought that home, there would be a Chicago teacher with a Harley Davidson boot up his ass.

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » May 1st, 2005, 10:24 pm

AAAHHH HA HA HA!
D@mn Mick you've got me rollin over here. That is funny!

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » May 1st, 2005, 10:28 pm

lol

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » May 2nd, 2005, 1:14 am

Ive seen that online before. I thought it was someones really rascist idea of a joke.I didnt know that a teacher actually wrote that.Thats sad.It doesnt suprise me though.I'd have issues with that teacher too if they passed something out like that to my kid.Sad thing too is thats being emailed out as a fwd now as a joke.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » May 2nd, 2005, 5:18 am

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 2nd, 2005, 7:16 am

I know a teacher at that High School over on 14th and A that gets all that publicity about the students sleeping with the teachers and all that (2 times). Many of the teachers talk shit on the students, hate what they do, and have NO BUSINESS TEACHING. My man that teaches there will tell you, some teachers are just straight up foul and generally dislike their own students. Anybody who got kids should really just take some time out to peep the assignments they bring home and pay attention. There was also that incident in Brooklyn where the teacher made young Haitian children eat on the ground, demeaning them, and telling them this is what they do in their home country, that they are treated like animals.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » May 2nd, 2005, 8:09 am

purplecityhello wrote:thats shit is mad racist..... id have to step to my kids teacher if he ever bought any homework home looking like that

Your damn right it is.

Look at the names used

Raoul, Jarone, Salvador

someone has to pay for this.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » May 2nd, 2005, 10:40 am

^ are you hispanic brother?

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”