CNN covers Prison Riot: White vs Latino

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
ajay049
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

CNN covers Prison Riot: White vs Latino

Unread post by ajay049 » August 9th, 2005, 7:18 am

The largest Prison riot in 23years popped off in San Quentin between the Peckerwoods and NF. Over 100 inmates involved.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/09/san.qu ... cnn_latest

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Another news article on the riot at SQ

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 11th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Dozens hurt in Calif. Hispanic-white prison riot

Hundreds of inmates battled at San Quentin State Prison on Monday, leaving 39 injured in the latest eruption of violence between white and Hispanic inmates.Some inmates used locks or other heavy objects in socks or caps as weapons in the fight, which prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon said appeared to start when Hispanic prisoners attacked whites at breakfast time.Guards used pepper spray to end the 10-minute fight. Three of the injured inmates had to be taken to outside hospitals but Todd Slosek, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said none of the injuries were life-threatening."At about 8:40 this morning we had approximately 400 inmates participating in a riot," Crittendon said. "Thirty-nine of them we have been able to identify as needing medical treatment."The riot occurred in a section of the prison housing about 900 inmates who have been under lockdown since Aug. 1 because of earlier fighting between whites and Hispanics, Slosek said."They were preparing to start moving the inmates over for breakfast," Crittendon said. "We had them segregated. The Latino inmates were going to exit and go to breakfast. During that movement, the initial reports indicate that the Latinos began to attack white inmates."A lockdown means San Quentin temporarily barred inmates in that section of the prison from recreation in the large yard where inmates can play everything from tennis to baseball. They still have opportunities to interact such as when they are coming and going during meal times.Prisoners throughout California often self-segregate along racial lines, sometimes into violent gangs made up of blacks, Hispanic, whites or other groups.San Quentin was established in 1852 and is California's oldest prison. It has nearly 6,000 prisoners, including inmates condemned to die such as wife-killer Scott Peterson and notorious mass murderers.

Link to Article: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...anquentin_dc_1

Christina Marie

Radio broadcast transcripts of SQ riot

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 11th, 2005, 8:09 pm

Posted: August 8, 2005 at 12:57 p.m. Updated: August 8, 2005 at 2:51 p.m. SAN QUENTIN STATE PRISON (KRON) -- Several inmates were injured in a riot that broke out between some 70 inmates at San Quentin State Prison Monday morning.
The rioting began after breakfast, when the inmates were being returned to their cells.
It took roughly 50 officers armed with batons and pepper spray to restrain the crowd. There have been no reports of injuries incurred by batons, but pepper spray was discharged.
Prison officers have restrained hundreds of inmates using plastic twist cuffs.
Three inmates were seriously injured and taken to outside hospitals for treatment and several others were treated for injuries at the prison.

At this time, exact numbers of injuries are not known, but acting public information officer Eric Messick says there are "quite a few injuries." He also said the severity of injuries is unknown but there was one reported head injury.

Some weapons were found in the area where the riots happened. Five inmate-manufactured weapons have been recovered, which include a flashing weapon, a stabbing instrument and three bludgeoning weapons. There is evidence that the weapons were used in the riot.
The prison has been on lockdown since August 1, following other violent incidents between inmates.

Reports are that the incidents have been racially motivated and prison officials say there is a history of fighting between Hispanic and white inmates at San Quentin.

An investigation is under way at this time that should indicate "who the aggressor was, if it was a coordinated event . . . or if it was a domino effect," Messick said.

The last riot of this nature occurred in 2000, Messick said. Messick said the racially motivated fighting has been going on for a while, which is what prompted last week's lockdown. Two separate incidents took place where a white inmate was attacked by a group of Hispanic inmates and another incident took place where a Hispanic inmate was battered by a group of white inmates. Messick said a fourth incident was thwarted by prison staff and "today we weren't as lucky."
"An investigation will be conducted to identify the combatants," which could lead to their removal from the prison, Messick said. About 1,700 to 1,800 inmates live in the area where the riot took place. The crimes the inmates have committed range from probation violation to murder.

Major Inmate Riot Erupts At San Quentin FoxReno.com, NV - 1 hour ago SAN QUENTIN -- Already under a lock down, a major riot erupted between two ethnic groups Monday morning at San Quentin State Prison, causing several injuries ...

Riot Breaks Out at San Quentin Prison KRON 4, CA - 1 hour ago SAN QUENTIN STATE PRISON (KRON) -- Several inmates were injured in a riot that broke out between more than 100 inmates at San Quentin State Prison Monday ..
Riot breaks out at San Quentin KESQ, CA - 2 hours ago SAN QUENTIN, Calif. A riot broke out this morning at San Quentin State Prison. At least 100 inmates were involved. Radio station ...
Riot At San Quentin Leaves Prisoners Injured CBS 5, CA - 3 hours ago

(Bay City News) A major riot between two ethnic groups at San Quentin prison caused several injuries and left a couple hundred inmates restrained with twist ..
Several Injured In San Quentin Prison Riot NBC 11.com, CA - 35 minutes ago A major riot between two ethnic groups at San Quentin State Prison caused several injuries and left a couple hundred inmates restrained with twist cuffs Monday ...

Riot Breaks Out At San Quentin KCRA-TV, CA - 52 minutes ago SAN QUENTIN, Calif. -- A major riot between two ethnic groups at San Quentin State Prison caused several injuries and left several ...
Riot at San Quentin Results in Injuries, Weapons Found KXTV, CA - 1 hour ago SAN QUENTIN, CA (AP) -- A riot broke out this morning at San Quentin State Prison. At least 100 inmates were involved. Radio station ...
Major Inmate Riot Erupts At San Quentin KTVU.com, CA - 1 hour ago SAN QUENTIN -- Already under a lock down, a major riot erupted between two ethnic groups Monday morning at San Quentin State Prison, causing several injuries ...

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 12th, 2005, 12:57 pm

so was it hundreds of inmates or only 70? Im confused.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 12th, 2005, 2:44 pm

There are so many different accounts of the damn thing I can't get a fix on it either. About the closest I have come to any facts is that 8 inmates started the whole mess, 4 on 4 and it escalated to a fairly good size situation.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » August 18th, 2005, 4:00 pm

DOES SOMEONE KNOW "MATTER OF FACTLY"

IF THIS WAS WHITE PRIDERS VS SURENOS 13

OR WHITE PRIDERS VS. NORTENOS 14 ??

SPEAK UP IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE REAL DEAL IS....

ORALE.
MARTINEZ

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » August 18th, 2005, 4:12 pm

It went down all over Quentin that week, but for the most part it was Woods vs. Norte's. Northerners had the #'s on them on that yard, but the injuries were equal as the article said.

MARTINEZ.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ. » August 21st, 2005, 9:54 pm

ORALE GTS,

GRACIAS... I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WERE THAT MANY NORTENOS IN SAN QUINTEN...THOSE ARE SOME BIG NUMBERS.
WAS IT NORTE 14 vs. AB's, NAZI LOWRIDERS, Or all PECKERWOODS in general ?

DO YOU KNOW IF THEY KEEP THE SURENOS & NORTENOS ON DIFFERENT YARDAS IN S.Q. ?

I HAVE A HOMEBOY IN SAN QUINTENS DEATH ROW: EAST YARD #19

PAYASO ~ E.S VARRIO "THE LOTT 'SUR 13" Los CHICOS clica
in for 3 MURDERS ON RIVAL Gang members in EAST LOS

ORALE.
MARTINEZ

DOOBIE'S BACK
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by DOOBIE'S BACK » August 22nd, 2005, 7:22 pm

WHATS CRACKING LOCOS. IM BACK TEMPORARILY. MY CARNAL LIVES IN FRESNO AND HE SAID THAT THIS PEDO JUMPED OFF BECAUSE SOME WHITE BOY HAD A SURENO PLACASO ON HIM. THE NORTENOS FELT DISRESPECTED AND TRIED TO RAT PACK HIS ASS. LIKE ALOT OF THESE ARTICLES SAID, NORTENOS HAD NUMBERS BUT THEM WHITE BOYS FOUGHT BACK HARD. CRAZY SHIT. ALRATO.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 22nd, 2005, 8:43 pm

so it was nortenos vs whites and southsiders and blacks stayed out? Or was it southsiders and nortenos together vs the whites?

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » August 23rd, 2005, 9:50 am

Invincible wrote:so it was nortenos vs whites and southsiders and blacks stayed out? Or was it southsiders and nortenos together vs the whites?
If you have to ask you shouldn't know.

ajay049
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ajay049 » August 23rd, 2005, 4:51 pm

GTS wrote:
Invincible wrote:so it was nortenos vs whites and southsiders and blacks stayed out? Or was it southsiders and nortenos together vs the whites?
If you have to ask you shouldn't know.
For real aye.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 23rd, 2005, 5:38 pm

well Im confused cause in that conversation by correctional officers some of them said the southsiders were fighting whites (in the jails). Plus if nortes just attacked whites southsiders would have backed whites up.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » August 23rd, 2005, 8:43 pm

Invincible, It was the Peckerwoods Vs Notre 14, 'Doobies Back' says it started because a white boy had a Sur Tatt, which is not uncommon in LA as whiteboys from the barrio normally join Sur gangs. Im just speculating but if this is true and there were no other Surenos around he would roll with the woods, a group of Nortes jump him so his brothers back him up and it turns into an all in riot.

Again this is just a theory based on what I have read and is not factual, Im not sure why I needed to explain this but Invincible doesnt get what has been written.

DC

holyshit
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by holyshit » August 23rd, 2005, 10:14 pm

what is norte 14? just one norte gang? cause thats not too impressive than at all. As for no southsiders being there that has to be a lie, theyre everywhere.

ROOJOJR
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ROOJOJR » September 6th, 2005, 2:14 am

DC is mostly right. Just 2 wood cars fighting n structure over a southsider tac. Small shit unless it hits the street. Most north cal and central valley jails are starting to stress, especialy the ink tanks and gang mods. As far as Sur being everywhere get real they are nothing north of jose in any jail or level2 pen. Even in lame reception where the cops are scared because of the numbers there aint any 13s, nothing but half ass busters, half ass whites and half ass blacks looking to make game on the fish. I read so much crap lies and BS on here that it makes me think most of you are kids net bangin , cops fishin or college kids writing some kind of thesis on something they dont understand, Still there are a couple dudes here that know what time it is and I give them some respect no matter who they represent.

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » September 7th, 2005, 9:32 am

ROOJOJR:

Where u from?

ROOJOJR
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ROOJOJR » September 8th, 2005, 10:39 pm

The car I ride with is Santa Rosa.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » September 10th, 2005, 2:44 am

what gang r u in?

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » November 1st, 2005, 4:07 pm

the surenos/nortenos pod/modules are nothing compared to the crip/blacks module....the crip module is consided as "the hole" the department is always having trouble with them, its a living nightmare.....the bloods seldom trouble in their modules, the surenos are like the teachers pet....no disrespect/not saying that the surx3 like the co's or anything....but they are always consided peaceful within the raza by the co's.

thers a clip in jay z's 99 problems music video...where a guy is walkin through the pod/level and gettin ranks from other members of the gang.....can someone tell me is that in the new york doc or LA doc....it doesnt look like the nydoc.

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » November 1st, 2005, 4:46 pm

....southside watts? u from pj watts or nutthood?

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » November 1st, 2005, 4:59 pm

nutthood near 116....wat hood u 4rm?

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » November 1st, 2005, 5:02 pm

baby loc, u blac or Mexican?

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » November 1st, 2005, 5:30 pm

im black as can get homeboy.....so u 4rm the grapes?

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » November 1st, 2005, 7:07 pm

yea
the surenos/nortenos pod/modules are nothing compared to the crip/blacks module....the crip module is consided as "the hole" the department is always having trouble with them, its a living nightmare.....the bloods seldom trouble in their modules, the surenos are like the teachers pet....no disrespect/not saying that the surx3 like the co's or anything....but they are always consided peaceful within the raza by the co's.
sounds like u speaking on the county jail not prison....

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » November 1st, 2005, 7:23 pm

ye basically......i m tlkin about the la county modules within the overall doc...u gt any info leftcoast...??? coz i wnt info

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » November 1st, 2005, 7:26 pm

why u want info so bad? u plan on goin there? :?

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » November 1st, 2005, 7:26 pm

u from nutthood right? u want info... ax yo big homies.... :x

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » November 1st, 2005, 7:51 pm

im gonna say this once leftcoast...i dnt come on here 2 bang or boast...i come on here 2 look up info....1) i aint no gangsta/banger n 2) i aint no chicken shit....ive spoken 2 so many bangers about tatts...they all say the same thing...on here u can get rare info on that...

but u from baby locs up in grape st...so how comes u cnt answer my questions instead of debating....thats y its a forum...if i said i was going county i would post up sayin TD GOES TO LA COUNTY...lol

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”