It's like the "Wild West" in the 209

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

It's like the "Wild West" in the 209

Unread post by DreamerGirl » March 21st, 2004, 7:55 pm

The Modesto Bee......(Local) Police say gang crimes on the rise

Thursday, March 18, 2004

By Michael Cipponeri - Turlock.Ca
The influence of criminal street gangs in Turlock has waxed and waned over the years. Turlock is currently on the cusp of a rising tide of gang activity and law enforcement is preparing for the coming wave.

Gang activity carries a variety of indicators with it, allowing police to monitor gang activity by watching for specific signs, symbols and activities which indicate gang involvement.

“There are indicators out there,” said Sergeant Brett Aamodt of the Turlock Police Department, who tracks gang activity in the city. “The two most visible indicators are fights and graffiti.”

Over the last few months, officers have noted a rise in gang-related graffiti, especially the traditionally prevalent Norteno and less common Sureno. Police speculate that this indicates a growing Sureno presence in the Turlock area. Other sects which have shown some measure of activity lately include Satanically-influenced gangs.

“We have been seeing some pentagrams, 666’s and other indicators of Satanic activity,” Aamodt said.

Signs of gang activity have changed over the years. Previously, gangs showed their colors to indicate membership and ownership of a given area. Aamodt said this trend has become less visible with the latest generation of street thugs.

“Gang members have become a lot more subtle in their clothing styles. Often they will wear one item, like a red belt, that they can cover with a baggy shirt to avoid law enforcement attention but still show to other members to identify themselves,” Aamodt said.

Aamodt said the gang presence in Turlock has fluctuated over the last few years, with a spike in activity around a year and a half ago.

“We had several shootings into inhabited dwellings and saw an increase in graffiti. One of the prevalent gangs was the Barrio Westside, which also claimed Norteno,” he said.

Hispanic gangs are the most common type of gang in Turlock according to police. Asian and African -American gangs such as the Bloods and Crips have a minimal presence in Turlock. Surenos and East Bay Area gangs are the fastest growing subsets of this criminal culture in this area, though Aamodt said that Nortenos are in no danger of being overwhelmed just yet.

“Nortenos still seem to have the advantage in numbers here,” he said.

Criminal gangs can also increase neighborhood crimes as gang members often become involved in sideline crimes to support themselves, generating drug crimes, assaults, car theft and more.

To help combat the gang trend, officers are working to use new gang enhancement laws, which can increase offenders prison terms by up to ten years or longer.

“We had a recent case where a gang member was convicted of auto burglary. Because of his age and the nature of the crime, he might have only done county jail time, but with the gang enhancements he will be doing seven years of state prison time.” Aamodt said.

Parents who may be concerned about their children getting involved in a gang can monitor certain factors which often show a gang affiliation.

“If you see a sudden change in friends, or a new defiant and confrontational attitude, that can be a good indicator,” Aamodt said. “Tattoos and drastic changes in clothing color choices. You have to give some lee-way for fashion but if a kids starts wearing nothing but red hats, shirts, shoes and belts that is probably an indication that they are getting into a gang.”

Aamodt said that the current boom-bust nature of Turlock gangs will probably level off as the population stabilizes, however, he does not expect it will diminish.

“We just have a large influx of people from other areas and they are bringing the culture they were raised in with them. In some cases that includes gang ties,” he said.

onefinenorteno

Re: It's like the "Wild West" in the 209

Unread post by onefinenorteno » April 5th, 2004, 2:43 pm

I go to Turlock all the time and all i ever see is Norteno's from "High St."

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 9th, 2004, 12:04 pm

The Modesto Bee (Local).................................................

By INGA MILLER
Arrest made in fatal shooting

Last Updated: April 7, 2004, 07:10:52 AM PDT

A 16-year-old Atwater boy died after someone shot him during an argument outside a Modesto taco truck Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
Modesto Police detained a suspected gang member about 10 minutes after the 3:20 p.m. shooting. Tuesday evening, they arrested the 24-year-old man, Manuel Domingo Hernandez of Modesto, on a homicide charge, Stanislaus County sheriff's deputy Tom Letras said. Investigators were searching for three other suspects Tuesday night.

"It appears to be gang-related," sheriff's Lt. Jim Silva said of the incident.

But it was unclear, Letras said, whether the victim was a gang member.

He said the teenager, whose name was not released, was one of three males standing outside a taco truck at Crows Landing and Hatch roads Tuesday afternoon. All were wearing blue clothing, Letras said, a color associated with the Sureños gang.

They got into an argument with a man wearing red, which is associated with the Norteño gang, Letras said. The man, later identified as Hernandez, left and came back with three men, and a fistfight broke out.

"One of the guys in red pulled out a gun, firing at the victim" several times, Letras said.

By the time deputies and paramedics arrived, the four men had fled, he said.

An ambulance took the victim to Doctors Medical Center in Modesto, where he was pronounced dead.

About 3:30 p.m., police stopped a car in west Modesto and detained the driver, Hernandez. Letras said investigators have not determined whether Hernandez was the shooter.

Patricia Luna, who works at a travel agency next door to the taco truck, said she was shocked that a shooting would occur there in the middle of the day.

"At night, it is not safe, but during the day it's safe," Luna said. "It's really weird. … It's an open restaurant, so everyone can see what happens there."

Letras said it is the second gang-related incident in the area in the last month.

On March 14, a 23-year-old man was hit by a car driven by someone who sheriff's deputies believe was trying to run people over at a bus stop on Hatch near Jim Way. Carlos Espino, 23 (A Known member of the Sureños gang) is in intensive care, according to the sheriff's department.

Espino was standing near the curb on Hatch when a white, four-door Oldsmobile going east swerved toward the bus stop. Several people narrowly missed being struck by the vehicle, deputies said. Espino stepped to the curb to get a description of the Oldsmobile as it turned the corner, but didn't notice a green Honda that had been following the Oldsmobile.

The driver of the Honda swerved toward Espino and struck him from behind, reports said.

Deputies found the Honda abandoned on Jim Way. It had been reported stolen from a Modesto residence the day before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homicide Location
http://www.modbee.com/images/graphics/2 ... micide.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norteño streetgang members often identify with the symbols XIV, X4, 14, and 4-dots. Fourteen refers to the 14th letter of the alphabet "N" which stands for "Norteño" or "Nuestra Familia". The gang associates with the color red and the words Norteño, North and Northerner. Other symbols include a pointed star, symbolizing the "North Star" the "Huegla Bird", the symbol used by the United Farm Workers association-these tattoos (Star & Bird) Must be earned throu committing an assault or murder on their enemies, the Sureños.

onefinenorteno

Unread post by onefinenorteno » April 9th, 2004, 10:47 pm

Them surenos should'nt have been trying to disrespect a NORTENO in MODESTO. They started it, it's their own fault!

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 10th, 2004, 3:35 am

man, y'all are killin me with all this modesto stuff. Y'all had 5 murders in the whole city last year, and not even all of them were gang related. I'm not tryin to say that everyone in Modesto ain't shi-, but y'all are actin like it bad up there. To compare, in santa ana, which is almost twice the size, we had about 30 killings last year, and it's been real slow in santa ana lately. Use to hit close to 100 per year. Compton is about half the size of modesto, and they had 50 last year. quit acting like y'all live in a damn war zone please, out of respect for people that do. you guys are taking up a lot of space on this site talkin about modesto bein a damn killing field and it just isn't true. Y'all are somewhere between Irvine and Westminster on the danger level. And in case you're wondering, that's not too high.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 10th, 2004, 11:53 am

Statistics speak for itself Mr. Santa Ana. If Santa Ana is so bad of a town to live in; Then how come Santa Ana is twice the size of Modesto and had fewer homicides? I think your only killing yourself with all your animosity towards the "North"...............................~DreamerGirl~

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 10th, 2004, 3:16 pm

Like I said in the other post. check areaconnect.com and it will show the fbi report on medesto mureders. there were 5, not 30. Sorry, but I doubt 25 people got killed without the police knowing about it. Or do the bodies just disappear like a bad video game in modesto when people die? And I got no problem with the north. As a matter of fact, I get along with Nortenos more than surenos. I'm not mexican, so I really couldn't care less about the north south thing myself. I'm justy tired of you posting 10 times a day about a city that ain't really doin that much. You should be glad that you live somewhere that's safe and be done with it.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 10th, 2004, 9:24 pm

The F.B.I. report shows Modesto was 5th on cars stolen last year in California. Just stay in Santa Ana where you'll be safe. Or come to Modesto thinking it's a joke and well you'll see........................Those statistics are for 2002 and is (5.6 X 100,000) people. I was referring to the 2003 statistics.......................~DreamerGirl~
Last edited by DreamerGirl on April 10th, 2004, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 10th, 2004, 9:30 pm

LOL. stolen cars? whatever makes you feel better girl.

YungLoCC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by YungLoCC » April 10th, 2004, 10:11 pm

hahahaha damn forealz? only 5? i mean i aint tryin to clown or nuthin modesto my home town but all that gangbangin and shiiett dey do out der only 5 homicides? damn cuzz fucc it dats good we dunt need nomore killins in dis biotch anyways.

the BaY aLLdAy RiChMoNd CaLiFoRn-I-A

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 10th, 2004, 10:25 pm

oh, and dreamergirl, 5.6 is actually the national average. Modesto had 2.5 murders per 100,000. Santa Ana was only at 6.5, but like I said. Slow year. Used to be around 15-20 per 100,000. But it's better this way. I haven't been shot at in a while and that's a good thing. But The wild west? Modesto is not even half as bad as Santa Ana on a slow year, and even Santa Ana is no where near the worst spot in Cali. Why don't you and your modesto homies go to Compton where the murder rate is 53 per 100,000. Are you understanding the math here? Santa Ana = 2 and a half times more dangerous than modesto. Compton is 20 times more dangerous than modesto. You guys are more like the "Mild West" than the "Wild West".

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 10th, 2004, 11:39 pm

Mr. Santa Ana your still missing the point. I was talking about the statistics in the year 2003. So miss with all your math work for the year of 2002. Next time respond to my question correctly or don't comment at all.....................~DreamerGirl~

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 10th, 2004, 11:47 pm

I don't even think they released the 2003 stats yet. You show 'em to me, and then we'll talk. Until then I'll base my opinions on 2002. And what are you saying then. 2 years ago nobody was bangin in modesto? they just started in 2003? that's even worse.

pimpsmooth420
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pimpsmooth420 » April 11th, 2004, 4:36 pm

^^^^ ur a fool if u think folks was bangin in 2003 we might not have a lot of killins and murders but down here we fist fight cuz modesto small but sense folks from the bay movin down here cuz its cheap we gettin alot more people and its diff now where now folks r pullin put and blastin

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 11th, 2004, 6:33 pm

"Panik" I don't even think they released the 2003 stats yet. You show 'em to me, and then we'll talk. Until then I'll base my opinions on 2002. And what are you saying then. 2 years ago nobody was bangin in modesto? they just started in 2003? that's even worse.

I almost don't wanna reply to your stupid remark but here goes; First off go ahead and base your opinions on 2002 stats & go to Modesto thinking it's a kindergarding school and you'll see for yourself. And yes they do got the stats for 2003 because what it's like almost summer in 2004! Next people in Modesto have gangs dating back to the (late 1960's & early 70's) So miss me with your stupid remarks.......................................I think i'll take a cruz down to Santa Ana myself and see how gangs are functioning up to date.~DreamerGirl~

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 11th, 2004, 7:55 pm

well, my point is this. I'll take your word for it that 2003 had 30 muders in modesto. This is 6 times as many as the year before. Tell me hwat was so different? In 2002 you were one of the safest cities in CA, 12 months later you say it's a warzone? By the way, your city is 70% white, so how gang infested could it be? Santa Ana has had gangs ate lest dince the 50's, and there are about 300 active right now. Somewhere around 20-30,000 depending on who's telling it. And like I said before, show me where it says you even had 30 murders. Cuz I can tell you that if a city goes from 5 to 30 in one year, the whole police force and sheriffs dept would be fired, and the city council would be run out of town. That is what a 500% or 600% increase in the murder rate in one year. I think that would set a damn world record. And I wish you would take a cruz down to santa ana. You can pick any street, cuz there really is no street inb santa ana that isn't claimed territory. You don't have to just go looking for a certain park. you go to ANY park at night and see what happens. anyway, show me the proof, otherwise I'll just keep my opinions based on facts.

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 12th, 2004, 8:30 am

Modesto is more dangerous than you think. Nortenos are just waiting, theres not much surenos here. They kinda stay away coz they know they dont stand a chance. Here surenos arent down, their hiding out, they bang one minute the next they take their blue rags out of their pocket and step all over it. Its like the surenos spit on their on graphitti they dont make any sense trying to bang x3 in modesto. And they are real small in size, short and skinny.
Modesto is mostly all nortenos, not going to have much war there. And the more worser areas are in the "islands", that go under the county statistics, many murders are found there. The "islands" are found through out inside the city limits of modesto, surrounded by modesto land, but still go under the county stats.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 14th, 2004, 9:50 am

You stand incorrect rumble2005. I guess the murders in the suburb towns surrounding Modesto aren't included in the murder ratio. Modesto is Modesto and all the suburb towns are their own; Just like how Compton is in Los Angeles "It's own town" but still consider L.A.! If all the murders in the suburb towns surrounding Modesto were included in the murder statistics Modesto would be ranked way higher in worst cities to line in; In California............................~DreamerGirl~

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 14th, 2004, 10:13 am

you guys are a joke. By adding more territory, you would just add more poeple too. It still wouldn't raise your crime rate that much because the "city" with almost 200,000 people is so damn safe. LOL

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 14th, 2004, 10:18 am

It's safe to people like youeself who talk all this garbage behind your desk.........~DreamerGirl~

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 14th, 2004, 10:22 am

yep, I got a desk job. Pretty good for a felon on probation huh? But I'm still in the streets every weekend, but if it makes you feel better, think how you want, cuz even the other folks from modesto don't have your back with all of your bullshi-.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » April 14th, 2004, 11:56 am

Good for you Panik. Stay the course bro. Don't let the haters move you.

Dreamergirl, maybe instead of putting down a Man who works and educates himself you could get a job and some education. Or do you just want things free and easy while you're young and think that will last forever as you grow old? If so, then you'll see how things go as time passes you by. And education is for everyone today. This IS a new millinium we're living in now. Different times. Take the 1% solution. Make your life 1% better each week or month from now on. Peace.

YungLoCC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by YungLoCC » April 14th, 2004, 3:58 pm

ay wussup doe do all the Crips in Modesto stand a chance against the Nortenos?

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 14th, 2004, 4:15 pm

That's not even a question in Modesto. The Crip's & Norteno's are alies, But if the two were to Clash for some bizarre reason; i think the Norteno's might have the advantage but who know's for people are "Military- Minded" these day's. I highly doubt that will ever happen; A WAR between the Crips's & Norteno's...........................~DreamerGirl~

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 14th, 2004, 11:32 pm

The Modesto Bee.........(Local News; Crime) Monday, April 12 2004

Gunfire rings out in Modesto subrub town "Ceres"

Ceres police increased their foot patrols on a crowded Easter Sunday at Smyrna Park, where gunfire rang out the night before. Police said drive-by shooters did not hit anyone; but not for lack of trying. Officers said they recovered 15 shell casings from at least four weapons apparently used in the shooting about 7:30 p.m.
Several park neighbors, who declined to give their names, described the shooting incident as a burst of gunfire, followed by several cars speeding away; "It seems to be gang-related". Smyrna Park is a gang-related park being the home to the Nortenos "S.P.N." (Smyrna Park Nortenos) in Ceres. At this point it's hard to say what the motive was about? Police said they believe one car was a dark green chevrolet camaro or chrysler sebring, last seen headed south on Rose. "Sgt. Mark Neri" said four men may have been involved-three of them with shaved heads. Ceres resident Agustin Calderon said he was concerned about the shooting and wanted to bring his family to the park for Easter.

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 15th, 2004, 1:15 am

^^^yeah nortenos and crips are coo with one another as well as the bloods and most asian crips. If there was a war between the crips and nortenos. The crips would be far outnumbered, as nortenos are spread throughout many different neighborhoods accross the entire city.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 16th, 2004, 7:39 pm

The Modesto Bee..................................... City's 2003 crime spiked

By MICHAEL MELLO
BEE STAFF WRITER

Last Updated: April 15, 2004, 10:18:37 AM PDT

Statistics released this week by California Attorney General Bill Lockyer show in Modesto; aggravated assaults rose nearly 60 percent compared with 2002, and car thefts jumped nearly 40 percent. Felony theft -- $400 or more -- rose nearly 10 percent, while the number of burglaries dropped about 4 percent.

"The numbers aren't where we'd like them to be. We have some work to do," Assistant Police Chief Mike Harden said. "Modesto is not a small town any more. We have big-city crime."

But, he added: "When you compare us to like cities, our numbers almost pale in comparison." For example, he said, Stockton had twice as many forcible rapes, with 155. And San Bernardino, with 48, had almost three times Modesto's 17 homicides.

Nonetheless, Modesto's homicide rate in 2003 more than tripled from the previous year, when five were recorded.

Stockton and San Bernardino have populations near or above 200,000, similar to Modesto's 188,856, according to Census 2000.

Still, the statistics are valuable, Harden said. "It tells us we need to address the violent crime in Modesto and put the full-court press on people who wreak havoc in Modesto."

Harden cited "our gang problem, our parolee problem, our drug problem" as causes for the increased crime.

It also may be migrating to Modesto, Harden said, noting the violent crime rates in San Jose and Santa Clara were down 18 percent in each city.

"Could it be the population is leaving the Silicon Valley and coming to Modesto? Very likely," Harden said.

Robbery wave in rural areas

In areas served by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, forcible rape dropped by 30 percent, and the number of robberies increased by about 50, a 40 percent rise. In addition to the rural parts of the county, the Sheriff's Department handles policing in the cities of Hughson, Patterson, Riverbank and Waterford.

Sheriff Les Weidman said the county's rural areas saw more than 100 robberies just in the four months from May through August.

"That certainly spiked those numbers," Weidman said. In addition, around that time, a number of people left prison and returned to Stanislaus County.

These days, prisoners often teach one another how to successfully break into homes, the sheriff said. Many of them were released back to Stanislaus County last summer, Weidman said, accounting for the swell in robberies.

In September, authorities arrested a gang of 10 men and women believed to be responsible for most of those home invasions.

Many of the rapes reported in 2002 were related to prostitution, Weidman said, and a crackdown in 2003 resulted in the drop from 59 reported rapes to 41.

In a statement, Lockyer praised law enforcement in the state for the overall drop in violent crime.

"As state and local lawmakers evaluate the tough decisions necessary to balance their budgets, I strongly encourage them to preserve law enforcement funding that is critical to protecting the public safety of all Californians."

Be careful when traveling thru Modesto. Just the other day; I saw like four Norteno's i think from (V.B.G.) & three Sureno's i think from (S.P.V) Shooting at each other on the West Side. I didn't see anything in the paper so i highly doubt anyone was seriously hurt "Thank God". But yeah, if your not from Modesto be careful where you go (Like Neighborhoods & Varrio's)............................~DreamerGirl`

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 17th, 2004, 7:13 am

Be careful out there Dreamergirl

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 17th, 2004, 10:52 pm

Panik wrote:you guys are a joke. By adding more territory, you would just add more poeple too. It still wouldn't raise your crime rate that much because the "city" with almost 200,000 people is so damn safe. LOL
Cities growing add more territory its called annexation. And with the areas i was talking about the "islands" inside of modesto will be eaten by modesto in the near future. The modesto city counsel approved it last yr. It is not empty land or anything they already have homes, businesses, schools, etc. They will be added to the city of modesto over the course of five years or so. Safe, depends on who you are.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 17th, 2004, 10:57 pm

nah rumble, I understood what you were trying to say, but dreamer girl tried to use statistics and can't read right. There were 5 murders in Modesto (population about 190,000). She said that there were 8 murders in Stanislaus county and they should be counted along with the modesto murders to give the city 113 murders instead of 5. My point is that Stanislaus county has almost 500,000 people, so now instead of 5 murders for 190,000, you got 13 for 500,000. It just didn't help her point at all. She was tryin to boost the murder rate, but she doesn't know her math.

Mr.Lopez
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Mr.Lopez » April 17th, 2004, 11:34 pm

DreamerGirl your like a dam news reporter. I was their "Protecting Children" from being hit by flying bullets. Some surenos did a drive-by on some Nortenos at Smyrna Park. People were trying to keep their kids from being hit while the (Nortenos from S.P.N. defended their Park from some unknown surenos) It was crazy, they were shooting it out.

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 18th, 2004, 12:12 pm

O.G.PANCHO wrote:DreamerGirl your like a dam news reporter. I was their "Protecting Children" from being hit by flying bullets. Some surenos did a drive-by on some Nortenos at Smyrna Park. People were trying to keep their kids from being hit while the (Nortenos from S.P.N. defended their Park from some unknown surenos) It was crazy, they were shooting it out.
trying a drive by while the kids are out playing at a park sounds like the typical surenos around here. Cowards!