Nortenos in Southern California?

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
bayarearep
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: USA

Unread post by bayarearep » May 6th, 2007, 3:11 am

rudog ain't no norteno
i seen dude in person before
he needs to chill on that

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 6th, 2007, 2:30 pm

~J~ wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:
~J~ wrote:MMRbkaRudog> could you make a list of San Jo Varrios-Norteno-Sureno gangs active/inactive & years started? I curious about this, you being from the ES I'm sure you'd have a better heads up then me with regards to ES gangs. (One either has to have been there or get the info from the Homies as SJPD Gang Division is tight lipped about these statistics.)

I heard about Sur being in San Jo since at least 86' maybe that would be Sur Santos Pride?
fu-- SJPD gang division! Any ways the list is too much work, especially since I don't know it all & wouldn't want to put out all that info.. I think SSP was here in the 1980's, but Surenos have been here longer than that. Surenos have been here since the 1970's, with some lasting & some not lasting. VST has been here since the 1970's, & for some reason they're some of the ones who lasted. VST over here used to go by Vicky'S Town, untill some real Vicky'S Towners came up from LA to check them.
Yeah, I figure as much. it's like if you don't know... you don't really need to know basis. I can understand that. it's like you need to be careful because you never know who you're talking to. I ask myself why I even care about this stuff? well... what can I say. I guess, I'll take your info as a small sign of confidence from you. "VST over here used to go by Vicky'S Town, untill some real Vicky'S Towners came up from LA to check them." :lol: Them East LA Vicky's Town gangsters are hardcore-dedicated dudes to come up 350 miles to do that. I wondering... are you one of those Victory-Outreach people?
I don't know if VST came up from LA just to that, but I know they've went all the way to Stockton just to start a varrio. I'm not from VO, I am Catholic.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 6th, 2007, 2:31 pm

bayarearep wrote:rudog ain't no norteno
I told you what's up, but what do I need to chill out on?

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: 408

Unread post by ~J~ » May 6th, 2007, 3:53 pm

StillNoScript wrote:J, have you heard of this book?

"Cholo Style", by Reynaldo Berrios, who's the editor of a magazine called "Mi Vida Loca", kind of like Teen Angels. I'm reading it right now. From reading your posts, I can tell this book is right up your alley.

Here's the book,

Amazon.com/

Six Fo, you too. All disagreements aside. You'd probably like this book.

And here's the guy's magazine's homepage, in case you haven't seen it. He's got old school pictures from both Norte and Sur.

http://mividalocamagazine.com/_wsn/page3.html
Thanks for the heads up. right on! for the record... you're okay. on a side note: I do think you got some perspective on these topics, small disagreement aside.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » May 6th, 2007, 4:01 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:
Not to dis on you or anything but I think he means this, bayarearep quote: "brown pride?
you looked pretty white to me
but do ya thang man"

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 6th, 2007, 6:58 pm

"Cholo Style", by Reynaldo Berrios, who's the editor of a magazine called "Mi Vida Loca", kind of like Teen Angels. I'm reading it right now. From reading your posts, I can tell this book is right up your alley.

Here's the book,

Amazon.com/

And here's the guy's magazine's homepage, in case you haven't seen it. He's got old school pictures from both Norte and Sur.

Have you checked out that book? I want to check it out, & I wonder if it's kind of like the mags.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 8th, 2007, 9:09 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:

Here's the book,

Amazon.com/

Have you checked out that book? I want to check it out, & I wonder if it's kind of like the mags.
I'm reading it right now. When he sais "cholo style", he means it. He's pretty harsh on Blacks, and Mexicans who hang with Blacks, to the point where I disagree with him. He calls for Blacks to 'stop whining about slavery', which is just retarded coming from someone who isn't black. But, this book is full of old school pictures from both Northern and Southern Cali. He has a lot of interviews from people in hoods from both sides of the state, too, along with political and academic figures. I bought it at Amazon, where it sais there's only a few copies left. But it's available at other sites too. I did a google on it.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 9th, 2007, 8:49 pm

~J~ wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:
Not to dis on you or anything but I think he means this, bayarearep quote: "brown pride?
you looked pretty white to me
but do ya thang man"
That doesn't make sense, just like what he wrote earlier. What was the purpose of him saying I ain't no Norteno? He says he seen me at a bbq wearing a red hat, but I don't remember seeing him. He asked me if I was a Norteno any more, & I said I believe in brown pride now. Brown pride means you don't believe in Norte vs. Sur & 1 reason why I don't believe in that is because I'm a born-again Christian like I told you.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 9th, 2007, 8:50 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:

Here's the book,

Amazon.com/

Six Fo, you too. All disagreements aside. You'd probably like this book. So what else does he say about blacks man?

I'm reading it right now. When he sais "cholo style", he means it. He's pretty harsh on Blacks, and Mexicans who hang with Blacks, to the point where I disagree with him. He calls for Blacks to 'stop whining about slavery', which is just retarded coming from someone who isn't black. But, this book is full of old school pictures from both Northern and Southern Cali. He has a lot of interviews from people in hoods from both sides of the state, too, along with political and academic figures. I bought it at Amazon, where it sais there's only a few copies left. But it's available at other sites too. I did a google on it.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 9th, 2007, 8:53 pm

My reply didn't come out in the last post. I was going to ask what was some more of the racial things said?

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 10th, 2007, 1:41 am

MMRbkaRudog wrote:My reply didn't come out in the last post. I was going to ask what was some more of the racial things said?
He mainly calls out Latinos for acting Black. The one statement I objected to was where he tells Black people to let slavery go. That's like someone telling him to let the European colonization of America go. Just a retarded statement, if you ask me. But as far as him calling out Latinos for acting Black, although I disagree with that solution, I'm in no position to judge because I'm not Latino myself. He's from the barrio, gang banged for a long time, and some of that old barrio attitude has carried over. What trips me out is that he's a Norteno, or, he was when he banged. In a lot of interviews that he does with Nortenos in the bay, he asks them what they think of Latinos acting Black. They all mostly object. But, you look at these pictures, and the pictures all have to be at least 10 years old, if not 15 years old. I can tell. I know the style. I know Nortenos in Sacramento, known them since I was a kid. So, these interviews probably are dated, too. I'm still reading it, and almost done, but nowhere yet has he said anything about modern day Bay Area Nortenos and the hip hop style that many of them have taken up. This is a decent book, and I like the photos. But I think this dude is sort of living in the past. Nonetheless, if you like magazines like Teen Angels this book has everything you want.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 10th, 2007, 12:29 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:My reply didn't come out in the last post. I was going to ask what was some more of the racial things said?
He mainly calls out Latinos for acting Black. The one statement I objected to was where he tells Black people to let slavery go. That's like someone telling him to let the European colonization of America go. Just a retarded statement, if you ask me. But as far as him calling out Latinos for acting Black, although I disagree with that solution, I'm in no position to judge because I'm not Latino myself. He's from the barrio, gang banged for a long time, and some of that old barrio attitude has carried over. What trips me out is that he's a Norteno, or, he was when he banged. In a lot of interviews that he does with Nortenos in the bay, he asks them what they think of Latinos acting Black. They all mostly object. But, you look at these pictures, and the pictures all have to be at least 10 years old, if not 15 years old. I can tell. I know the style. I know Nortenos in Sacramento, known them since I was a kid. So, these interviews probably are dated, too. I'm still reading it, and almost done, but nowhere yet has he said anything about modern day Bay Area Nortenos and the hip hop style that many of them have taken up. This is a decent book, and I like the photos. But I think this dude is sort of living in the past. Nonetheless, if you like magazines like Teen Angels this book has everything you want.
Well if he means that blacks shouldn't be racist, because of what happens in the past then I would agree. I think some of the book might come from old MVL mags. Well it does sound like something I might possibly like, & let me know more about it when you are done please. Thanks....

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 10th, 2007, 2:26 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:Well if he means that blacks shouldn't be racist, because of what happens in the past then I would agree. I think some of the book might come from old MVL mags. Well it does sound like something I might possibly like, & let me know more about it when you are done please. Thanks....
Calling for Blacks to get over slavery was the wrong way to go about it. It would be the equivalent of someone telling a Mexican to get over European colonization in America. If anyone were to say that on a megaphone at a Cinco De Mayo event, there'd be a riot, and you know it.

I also find it interesting that he doesn't interview any modern day Nortenos, especially in his home town of San Francisco. In dated interviews, from, by judging the ensuing pictures, at least a decade ago, he askes Nortenos what they think of Latinos co-oping with Black culture. That would be a far more interesting interview now. I'd like to see the reaction by modern day Mission Nortenos if he were to ask him that.

Overall, I wonder why most of the pictures and interviews in this book are so old, when this book is a current release, and in it's preface he discussed current events.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 10th, 2007, 8:13 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:Well if he means that blacks shouldn't be racist, because of what happens in the past then I would agree. I think some of the book might come from old MVL mags. Well it does sound like something I might possibly like, & let me know more about it when you are done please. Thanks....
Calling for Blacks to get over slavery was the wrong way to go about it. It would be the equivalent of someone telling a Mexican to get over European colonization in America. If anyone were to say that on a megaphone at a Cinco De Mayo event, there'd be a riot, and you know it.

I also find it interesting that he doesn't interview any modern day Nortenos, especially in his home town of San Francisco. In dated interviews, from, by judging the ensuing pictures, at least a decade ago, he askes Nortenos what they think of Latinos co-oping with Black culture. That would be a far more interesting interview now. I'd like to see the reaction by modern day Mission Nortenos if he were to ask him that.

Overall, I wonder why most of the pictures and interviews in this book are so old, when this book is a current release, and in it's preface he discussed current events.
Like I said, they probably put things from the old mags. They don't make the mags any more, & they probably came up with the idea to write a book & put some old stuff in there.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 10th, 2007, 9:51 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote: Like I said, they probably put things from the old mags. They don't make the mags any more, & they probably came up with the idea to write a book & put some old stuff in there.
The preface is current ,and in his preface, he talks about Latinos acting Black, etc. Then, he prints interviews with Nortenos saying that they don't like Latinos acting Black, but, to my recollection, doesn't say anywhere that those are old interviews, and thus passing them off as current. That's just flat out irresponsible. But, it's his book, and he's coming from a barrio angle, so that's his thing. I just hope no Black kid from South San Fran gets a hold of this book, sees the interviews, and thinks that the Nortenos living in his back yard are cursing him behind his back. Nortenos have changed a lot in the last 15 years, and most are cool with Blacks. By this guy not giving a specific time stamp to go with his Norteno interviews, it seems to me he'd like people to think otherwise.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 11th, 2007, 12:56 am

You wanted my review, here it is. I've just read about all of it that I'm going to read. He's got some good interviews with political activist types,teachers, and government officials, like the Mayor of Watsonville, where they have interesting things to say. Most of the interviews with Nortenos are from a lifetime ago. I'm assuming the same with the Sur, if the pictures are any indication of when the interviews were conducted. (no bald heads). He writes some good fiction, and he has a few guest fiction writers, which are good too. The art, or 'arte', is the same anyone's seen before, but still good. The pictures are the best part, a nice year book style run through of the cholo life in California in the early '90s.

My fault with the book is the author's political and racial views. He does have a college education, but it's obvious that he applies a lot of his old gangster mentality toward his politics, too. That sounds nice, but leads him to say hostile things about people that he has no business saying, because he can't relate to the experiences. I'm sure he's had his run ins with racist cops, but not like Black people do, especially considering how light complected he looks in his pictures. So, IMO, he has some growing up to do in the socio-political department, considering some of his hypocritical postulating on how Blacks should deal with their problems.

I think a more accurate title of the book would be, "Cholo Style, in the old days". I understand why he's published a lot of older material, but why not clarify that most of the interviews are old? Because I seriously doubt active Nortenos in the bay area today would diss Blacks by saying they don't like it when Latinos act Black, especially considering about half of them would be dressed in hip hop attire.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 11th, 2007, 3:30 pm

StillNoScript wrote:You wanted my review, here it is. I've just read about all of it that I'm going to read. He's got some good interviews with political activist types,teachers, and government officials, like the Mayor of Watsonville, where they have interesting things to say. Most of the interviews with Nortenos are from a lifetime ago. I'm assuming the same with the Sur, if the pictures are any indication of when the interviews were conducted. (no bald heads). He writes some good fiction, and he has a few guest fiction writers, which are good too. The art, or 'arte', is the same anyone's seen before, but still good. The pictures are the best part, a nice year book style run through of the cholo life in California in the early '90s.

My fault with the book is the author's political and racial views. He does have a college education, but it's obvious that he applies a lot of his old gangster mentality toward his politics, too. That sounds nice, but leads him to say hostile things about people that he has no business saying, because he can't relate to the experiences. I'm sure he's had his run ins with racist cops, but not like Black people do, especially considering how light complected he looks in his pictures. So, IMO, he has some growing up to do in the socio-political department, considering some of his hypocritical postulating on how Blacks should deal with their problems.

I think a more accurate title of the book would be, "Cholo Style, in the old days". I understand why he's published a lot of older material, but why not clarify that most of the interviews are old? Because I seriously doubt active Nortenos in the bay area today would diss Blacks by saying they don't like it when Latinos act Black, especially considering about half of them would be dressed in hip hop attire.
I'm light skinned & have had more problems with cops then some blacks, but he still shouldn't say some of those things. There are young Nortenos that don't like how some Nortenos are acting black, but I wouldn't doubt that the interviews are old. Well thanks for your review. I was wondering if the book had a lot of recycled material, & it sounds like it does. It makes me wonder if it's even worth getting. I would like to see it tho.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 11th, 2007, 11:27 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote: It makes me wonder if it's even worth getting. I would like to see it tho.
If you like magazines like Teen Angels, it's worth it. It was only about 12 bucks at Amazon, if I remember correctly. It's a fairly large book, with a ton of pics. As far as history and politics from a proud Chicano perspective, I've seen a lot better than this guy.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » June 6th, 2007, 4:49 pm

So how old are you J? I think I've met a J from NSSJ.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 16th, 2007, 6:36 pm

I heard from some ene that: "SoCal isn't as pure as it used to be." Norte according to him, is posted up in San Luis Obispo, San Fernando Valley, Norwalk, Irvine, Inland Empire, and SE San Diego. I guess to high cost of NorCal living is also driving Nortenos to SoCal. can anyone verify any of this?

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » June 16th, 2007, 7:54 pm

~J~ wrote:I heard from some ene that: "SoCal isn't as pure as it used to be." Norte according to him, is posted up in San Luis Obispo, San Fernando Valley, Norwalk, Irvine, Inland Empire, and SE San Diego. I guess to high cost of NorCal living is also driving Nortenos to SoCal. can anyone verify any of this?
Sounds like bull. I always thought it was the other way around.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 16th, 2007, 8:14 pm

^Yeah there's a lot of Surenos in NorCal but most if them are fakes. I guess they got put on by some Real Southsiders and also because of discrimination from their americanized people. I know there's Norteno in SoCal, but actively banging I can't say. the Vato sounded like he was telling the truth, at least to an extent, but then again you never know.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » June 16th, 2007, 8:16 pm

I don't doubt that their is probably Nortenos blending in down here. But obviously not gangbanging here

dup c

Unread post by dup c » June 19th, 2007, 5:44 pm

i heard that asian boyz are helping the x4 into south

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 19th, 2007, 6:03 pm

^ How so?

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » June 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm

dup c wrote:i heard that asian boyz are helping the x4 into south
lol

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 24th, 2007, 6:14 pm

~J~ wrote:I heard from some ene that: "SoCal isn't as pure as it used to be." Norte according to him, is posted up in San Luis Obispo, San Fernando Valley, Norwalk, Irvine, Inland Empire, and SE San Diego. I guess to high cost of NorCal living is also driving Nortenos to SoCal. can anyone verify any of this?
That's all it is ~~> "HEARD" . . . nothing more.

I would probably give some ground in S.L.O. & Irvine (LOL)
but NORWALK, "not" . . . they would be massacred . . no lie!

I keep hearing about norteños down in san diego, but I been
down here for a good 8-9 years now, and I've yet to see one.

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by pistolslanga » June 24th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Lonewolf wrote:

gyeah, and the cost of norcal isnt that, most nortenos from san jose moved to oakland, vallejo, fremont, hayward, modesto, hella other places, salinas and shit too.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » June 24th, 2007, 11:43 pm

dup c wrote:i heard that asian boyz are helping the x4 into south
SOMEBODY IS TRYING SOME PROMOTIONAL WORK FOR ASIAN BOYZ , ....LOL

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 25th, 2007, 12:22 am

Lonewolf wrote:

I know, I'm only asking if anyone can verify any of it. I'd take your word of it, especially being that Norwalk lies somewhere between and outside of Compton-South Los and East Los... it would be suicide for any Nortenos to bang there... besides it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do... know what I mean. I bet you Nortenos are there where one would least expect them to be, keeping it low key/incognito. Yeah, SW San Diego is where the Ene's are posted according to him...

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 25th, 2007, 12:28 am

pistolslanga wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:

gyeah, and the cost of norcal isnt that, most nortenos from san jose moved to oakland, vallejo, fremont, hayward, modesto, hella other places, salinas and shit too.
You misunderstood me. I'm saying SoCal is also among places Nortenos are moving to because of the high cost of living. you can also add the Fresno area, Oregon and Arizona to name a few others.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » June 25th, 2007, 12:36 am

I meant to say South East San Diego.