Riverside: Violence follows troubling trend

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
stamps
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Riverside: Violence follows troubling trend

Unread post by stamps » August 20th, 2005, 9:31 am

Violence follows troubling trend

RIVERSIDE: This summer has been a season of racially motivated gang attacks on its Eastside.

12:35 AM PDT on Saturday, August 20, 2005

By SARAH BURGE / The Press-Enterprise

Two weeks have passed since the last shooting on Riverside's Eastside, and a neighborhood crackdown may have brought the latest streak of violence under control, police said.

But that's little comfort to the friends and family of Edward Nwajagu, the Nigerian man shot two Saturdays ago at an Eastside gas station. Nwajagu is in Riverside Community Hospital on life support with a bullet lodged in his brain.

Nwajagu, 44, was one of four people shot Aug. 6, prompting police to launch a gang-suppression effort -- or as Chief Russ Leach said, "put the hammer down" -- on the Eastside.

But the spike in racially motivated gang violence had been a problem for weeks. At least eight people had been shot in the neighborhood since the beginning of June.

At a recent Eastside community meeting, residents said the violence had become so indiscriminate that their children were afraid to walk on certain streets. An 11-year-old girl was shot Aug. 3 when a gunfight broke out in front of her house. Some of the shootings have happened in or near parks. Others have occurred in the middle of the afternoon.

Sgt. Frank Assumma, with the Riverside Police Department Gang Unit, said two men have been arrested in connection with the recent shootings -- one during the past two weeks.

On Aug. 9, police arrested a 27-year-old man they allege drove the truck from which the shots were fired at Nwajagu.

But Assumma said the gang members investigators believe did the shootings are in custody on other charges.

When the neighborhood sees a spike in gang violence, Assumma said, "usually it can be attributed to a very small group of people."

Mary Figueroa, an Eastside native and Riverside Community College trustee, said residents still report hearing shots every night. Maybe it's nothing, Figueroa said. Or maybe it's gang members who just haven't hit anyone.

Eastside resident Lillian Harper said she still doesn't let her 15-year-old grandson walk alone. The flurry of shootings in the Rubidoux area worries her, too.

"There's really no difference," she said. "A lot of it is just because of the color of your skin. It's hate crimes."

As for the increased enforcement, Harper said, "They can pluck out some of the bad eggs. But if you don't change minds and hearts, none of this is going to go away."

Okey Okonkwo, the friend Nwajagu had come to Riverside to visit, said he knew there was gang violence, but he never thought his friends could be at risk.

"I drive that way all the time," Okonkwo said. "It was terrifying."

Nwajagu had been in Los Angeles for a conference on helping young people back in Nigeria. He immigrated to the United States in the early '80s and settled in Oklahoma. He has a new wife in Nigeria whom he met on a trip back to his native country and an 18-year-old son from a previous marriage.

Okonkwo said he is flabbergasted by the sequence of events that put his friend in the path of that bullet.

"All they did is make a wrong turn to a gas station," Okonkwo said. "These guys came from a totally different world." When they heard the shots, he said, rather than take cover, Nwajagu stuck his head out the door.

"He didn't know what it was.

"I spoke to him the previous night," Okonkwo said. "Now he's laying in the hospital almost dead."

yo foo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by yo foo » August 20th, 2005, 10:03 am

Is it safe in Riverside around the University?

stamps
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stamps » August 20th, 2005, 10:06 am

That's where all the shootings are happening..all around University,,between the 91 and Iowa,,,Spruce and Woodbine,,,about 2 square miles

yo foo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by yo foo » August 20th, 2005, 10:50 am

stamps wrote:That's where all the shootings are happening..all around University,,between the 91 and Iowa,,,Spruce and Woodbine,,,about 2 square miles
So ur tellin me that they built UCR in the middle of the hood?

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » August 20th, 2005, 3:55 pm

Just like in San Bernardino valley college is right in the super ghetto ass Verdugo Flats nieghborhood.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 20th, 2005, 6:29 pm

badasshairday wrote:
stamps wrote:That's where all the shootings are happening..all around University,,between the 91 and Iowa,,,Spruce and Woodbine,,,about 2 square miles
I don't know about that, but if you are concerned about actually going to UCR, I have been there and if you just stay in the "college" places, and don't go to small side streets and neighborhoods, it's a nice place. But anywhere in the world has its ghettos, just stay away from small streets and hoods.

I went to an area right across and down the street from USC, and it had some gangs, but I couldn't recognize them or their grafitti other than the fact that they rivaled with Rollin' 30's, and that most gangs there were hispanic. I was with my friends who were dressed all fancy and stuff since we were there for a USC ceremony (their sister is becoming a pharmacist) and I was like "crap we're gonna get jumped," and we DID get a few looks, but we just kept it moving and no one bothered us. They probably new we were here for USC and just ignored us.

stamps
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stamps » August 20th, 2005, 8:17 pm

badasshairday wrote:
I would say if you go to University and Ottawa Ave.,,it's happening about 1/2 mile in every direction around that area.

pinky
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by pinky » August 23rd, 2005, 11:39 pm

yeah the homie stay in that area its around a KFC but its seems coo but wheneva im over there its driving in or out because where he lives its one way out and one way in most of yall know what im talking about. but yeah its funny because the homie is black but i guess they dont give him anu problems i guess but sometimes i can feel the tention around the area.

anonymousman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by anonymousman » August 24th, 2005, 9:52 pm

badasshairday wrote:Is it safe in Riverside around the University?
i'm sure its pretty safe if you dont bang and you dont look like no thug.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » August 24th, 2005, 11:07 pm

anonymousman wrote:
not if you blac the mexicans shot at inosent blac people.

anonymousman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by anonymousman » August 25th, 2005, 5:03 pm

tysuave wrote:
anonymousman wrote:
no they dont, quit hating, you know theres been a bunch of innocent mexicans that got killed by blacks too. You're just fkn racist, thats all.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » August 25th, 2005, 9:58 pm

anonymousman wrote:
tysuave wrote:
anonymousman wrote:
no they dont, quit hating, you know theres been a bunch of innocent mexicans that got killed by blacks too. You're just fkn racist, thats all.
how you gone tell me whats going on in my hood im from the hood thats in to it with the ese's all you have to do is read the press enterprize and see how manny inosent blac people thats been shoot are killed the last person who just got shoot was from out of town so stay out of grown folks bussness punk!