Croatia vows anti-mafia measures after editor slain

In this section discuss Albania [Shqipërisë], Bulgaria [България], Croatia, Macedonia [Македонија, Makedonija] and Russia [Федерация, Rossiyskaya] including any other place on the Eastern European continent.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » October 24th, 2008, 3:52 pm

ZAGREB, Oct 24 (Reuters) Prime Minister Ivo Sanader announced emergency measures today to fight organised crime in Croatia after violence escalated to the point of threatening Zagreb's bid for European Union membership.

A car bomb killed Ivo Pukanic, editor of Nacional weekly, and his marketing chief in Zagreb yesterday in the latest of a series of incidents that have hit the capital this year.

''There is no need to declare a state of emergency, but we will introduce extraordinary mobilisation measures. We shall deal thoroughly with organised crime, mafia or terrorism.

Croatia will be a safe country,'' Sanader told reporters after a meeting of the National Security Council.

He said the measures would include wider police authority, faster trials for organised crime, DNA databases of convicted criminals and the right to confiscate illegally obtained property. He did not specify what wider policy authority meant.

The European Parliament's rapporteur for Croatia, Hannes Swoboda, said the rise in crime was a problem for the Balkan country which hopes to conclude EU accession talks next year and join the bloc in 2011.

''This is the most serious obstacle in Croatia's (EU) accession talks since they started,'' Swoboda told local news portal javno.hr.

''I think the government's negligence towards organised crime and corruption has to stop ... and ... Sanader must personally take measures against organised crime.'' The media freedoms monitor for the 56-nation Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe condemned what he called a ''wave of terror against media that are striving to accomplish the indispensable job in exposing wrongdoing'' in Croatia.

''This shows once again that journalism is still a very dangerous profession in some parts of the OSCE region,'' Miklos Haraszti said in a statement. ''The government has to stop violence against journalists to protect democracy.'' Sanader fired the interior and justice ministers earlier this month, when he announced a set of tough 'anti-mafia' laws.

The sackings were prompted by a string of unresolved public beatings and the murder of a prominent lawyer's daughter, who was shot twice in the head in the stairway of the building where she lived, not far from the Zagreb police headquarters.

This year, a well-known crime reporter was beaten up on the street, a member of the Zagreb city administration was attacked with baseball bats and the chief executive of a big construction firm was assaulted with iron bars in September.

http://www.deepikaglobal.com/ENG4_sub.a ... code=27877

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Croatia vows anti-mafia measures after editor slain

Unread post by TeeKay » October 24th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Which Mafia?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » October 25th, 2008, 12:20 am

TeeKay wrote:Which Mafia?
Croatian mobsters I assume.

united
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by united » October 25th, 2008, 9:05 pm

And they wanted to host the Euro

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » October 26th, 2008, 6:55 pm

thewestside wrote:
They're the reason why my best friend's father can't open up a resturaunt in Zagreb.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 26th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Typical mobsters in the ex-Yugoslav nations:

Josip Antić Zefo, Hrvoje Petrač and Vinko Žuljević Klica

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 26th, 2008, 6:58 pm

razbojnik wrote:
thewestside wrote:
They're the reason why my best friend's father can't open up a resturaunt in Zagreb.
Btw the guy's sister lives with her husband in Makarska, Croatia.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 26th, 2008, 7:02 pm

razbojnik wrote:Btw the guy's sister lives with her husband in Makarska, Croatia.
1. Please enable the edit button.
2. The guy's sister and her husband are rich and own several boutiques and stores there(the reason they're able to open up a resturaunt in the first place is because of their connections), my best friend goes there every summer, his parents just came back a couple days ago with 3 huge bags of the best mandarin oranges I've ever eaten in my life, and on top of that I think Mr. Tony Soprano just bought an indoor farming place last summer.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » October 27th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Lol, is he sitting on that guys lap?

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 27th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Azure9920 wrote:Lol, is he sitting on that guys lap?
So? Oh yeah that's considered 'gay' in North America.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » October 27th, 2008, 12:31 pm

razbojnik wrote:
Azure9920 wrote:Lol, is he sitting on that guys lap?
So? Oh yeah that's considered 'gay' in North America.
He's a "Mobster" we're supposed to "fear", and he sits on other mens laps.

I guess Lil Wayne still might be a G, even though he kisses boys too.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 27th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Azure9920 wrote:He's a "Mobster" we're supposed to "fear", and he sits on other mens laps.

Lil Wayne isn't a G, kids from the ghetto have no inner toughness, they're built up and brainwashed from birth. They don't have toughness in their blood. We do, that's why their trying to inflict any way on our culture to soften our people up, because we're just too damn tough, I know you lol'd right now, but how does it feel to be in an enviroment where every week you have to break up a fight because it's in the people's blood to be like this??? You wouldn't be laughing then.

So what? Really? It's just a cultural difference. Sometimes *jokingly* my friends kiss eachother on the cheek or the head or something and even for us that's considered gay if you do it with a perpouse and all the time, that doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing damage in any way.

He's a mobster you don't fear atm because he's sitting on another guy's lap. Have you ever met the guy? He's the type of guy that could have you killed if he wanted.

I look over my shoulder all the time when I go out, to be honest. A car passes by, I look at it several times before it does, looking over my right shoulder, getting ready to jump to the side if it tries to run me over before it gets close, if it gets too close I'll jump on it and try to make it somehow crash by punching into the windshield and grabbing the friggin steering wheel. Ok I know I'm not in an action movie, but you have to understand something --- in a moment of extreme anger, fear or knowledge your in a life threatening situation, a fatass like me who can't run at a speed of 20 km an hour I sprinted at 90 km an hour when that dog chased us.............................

So overall, these Croatian mobsters are = to the Italians or Russians, in some fields more, in some fields less.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » October 27th, 2008, 1:08 pm

razbojnik wrote:
Azure9920 wrote:He's a "Mobster" we're supposed to "fear", and he sits on other mens laps.

Lil Wayne isn't a G, kids from the ghetto have no inner toughness, they're built up and brainwashed from birth. They don't have toughness in their blood. We do, that's why their trying to inflict any way on our culture to soften our people up, because we're just too damn tough, I know you lol'd right now, but how does it feel to be in an enviroment where every week you have to break up a fight because it's in the people's blood to be like this??? You wouldn't be laughing then.
I'll sum that up really quickly; you don't know what you're talking about.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » October 27th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Azure9920 wrote:I'll sum that up really quickly; you don't know what you're talking about.
I do.