Lads (Australian graffiti gangs)

Discuss Africa and the Down under region with its Pacific Islander influence.
Crymz

Lads (Australian graffiti gangs)

Unread post by Crymz » April 23rd, 2008, 12:01 am

Here in Australia, we got our own version of what the British know as a ''chav''...

We simply call them ''Lads''... Lads are heavily involved in Australia's graffiti movement, yet are also well reknown throughout the Aussie hip-hop culture and rave scene.

The "Lad" is a subculture which is somewhat notorious in a way that is best described as intimidating.. yet very annoying, obnoxious and immature to some.. But some Lads and their crews, let alone their affiliations to Australia's youth gang notoriety can definately be just as hazardous as what they seem and act.

Though no where near as powerful or potentially dangerous as the more business structured, gangster-filled underworld of Sydney or Melbourne - Lads can still somewhat hold their own in terms of being a "crew" or "street gang".
Besides their first three main focusses within the Lad subculture (Graffiti, hip-hop and rave parties), Lads are the type to be involved in drugs, assaults, robbery, break and enter, theft, affray, extortion and other petty crimes.

Lads have a certain dress-code which is certainly identifiable to the naked eye...
The typical Lad would dress like this:

- Nike TN running shoes
- Running shorts (usually Canterbury or Nike)
- Baggy collared T-shirt with horizontal stripes (usually Nautica or Polo)
- Old white hat worn on a slightly lifted angle so their fringe sticks out (usually Nautica or Nike)

Personally I hate Lads and I think they are annoying little junkies who think they are top shit..
But I do respect in a way that they are staying true to their own culture and not copying other gang's credibilities.. ie. Islanders trying to be Bloods and Crips..

If anyone has any stories or info on Lads.. post here...

-1-

Innercity5062

Unread post by Innercity5062 » May 19th, 2008, 12:03 am

I aint from sydney so i dont know much about them but there Hip Hop is a joke I dont think that the eshays are doing any thing real any more there just graffiti artists that some times do criminal stuff besides Graff.

Innercity5062

Unread post by Innercity5062 » May 19th, 2008, 12:04 am

Also check out the Australian Graffiti Thread i put up in the Graffiti part of the Forum. You can post Lad Graff there

mattymm
What city do you live in now?: liverpool

Re: Lads (Australian graffiti gangs)

Unread post by mattymm » September 18th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Lads (Australian graffiti gangs)lol WTF

how can u call lads a gang lol u dont see on the news u neva hear bou lads lol there just misunderstood I have a couple of lad friends there are not all like that!

hendric22
If in the United States: New Mexico
What city do you live in now?: perth

Unread post by hendric22 » January 21st, 2011, 2:20 am

im in the lads dont diss us we r top shit we fuk up the other street gangs

hendric22
If in the United States: New Mexico
What city do you live in now?: perth

Unread post by hendric22 » January 21st, 2011, 2:22 am

lads australia rule :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: thats rite u other small time graffiti gangs we r comin 4 u

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » January 23rd, 2011, 2:35 pm

id love to see how aussie lads compare to uk chavs....i cant imagine aus being as grimey as britain gets in certain places.....

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Sydney

Unread post by OziHomie » December 13th, 2017, 6:00 am

ha i was a lad and prolly still am .. i still wear my nikes shorts and polos but im nearly 50 now so ive diminshed my ladness but its still quite prominant and i can outfoul anyone if i want to but again with age one learns to chilly chill a bit and i have.. but in my days nothing was off limits ... the shit we did would now be considered terrorism ...

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Sydney

Unread post by OziHomie » December 13th, 2017, 6:02 am

cliffard wrote:id love to see how aussie lads compare to uk chavs....i cant imagine aus being as grimey as britain gets in certain places.....
prolly not but some would definately fit in with chavs..