THE TONGS

Discuss Afghanistan [Afġānistān, افغانستان], Bahrain, Brunei, Cambodia, China [中华/中華, Zhonghua], East Timor, Indonesia, Iran [Irān, جمهوری اسلامی ایران], Iraq [al-‘Irāq, العراق], Israel [מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל, Yisrā'el], Japan [日本国], Jordan [Al-Mamlaka al-Urduniyya al-Hashemiyya], Korea [한국, Hanguk], Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nippon, Oman, Pakistan [Pākistān, اسلامی جمہوریۂ پاکستان], Palestine [As-Sulṭa Al-Filasṭīniyya,السلطة الوطنية الفلسطينية], Philipines [Pilipinas, pɪlɪˈpinɐs], Qatar, Saudi Arabia [as-Su‘ūdīyah, as-Su‘ūdīyah], Singapore [Singapura, 新加坡共和国], Syria, Taiwan, Thailand [Thai, ราชอาณาจักรไทย], United Arab Emirates [دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة], Vietnam [Việt Nam].and Yemen.
makedonija77
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

THE TONGS

Unread post by makedonija77 » April 29th, 2005, 9:03 pm

Discuss THE TONGS here.

wwzuidsv

Unread post by wwzuidsv » July 23rd, 2005, 9:09 am

tongs?

skrapersouth4life

Unread post by skrapersouth4life » August 4th, 2005, 11:11 am

There are a lot fo tongs around here in the United States. Such as Ping on, Hop Sing and many others. Wah Ching used to also be a tong but now evolved into a street gang. Tongs were really back then associations that protected the Chinese people, but now is a criminal orgination, most of them. I am not saying all.

skrapersouth4life

Tongs

Unread post by skrapersouth4life » August 7th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Ghost Shadows New York Gang
Flying Dragons New York Gang
Big Circle Boys International
14K International, even some in California.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » August 8th, 2005, 8:26 am

14K are Triad and operate in London also

kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Tongs

Unread post by kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe » August 8th, 2005, 1:29 pm

skrapersouth4life wrote:Ghost Shadows New York Gang
Flying Dragons New York Gang
Big Circle Boys International
14K International, even some in California.
I know this guy who's bro's godfather is the leader of the BCB.

GWUN TWO
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GWUN TWO » August 10th, 2005, 10:07 pm

skrapersouth4life wrote:There are a lot fo tongs around here in the United States. Such as Ping on, Hop Sing and many others. Wah Ching used to also be a tong but now evolved into a street gang. Tongs were really back then associations that protected the Chinese people, but now is a criminal orgination, most of them. I am not saying all.
I thought Wah Ching started out as a street gang in the SF area during the 80's, but later turned more organized after getting connections from some tongs in China?

dblockin

Unread post by dblockin » August 12th, 2005, 4:21 pm

what's the difference between the triads and the tongs?

kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe » August 12th, 2005, 7:59 pm

dblockin wrote:what's the difference between the triads and the tongs?
Triads are bigger, more powerfull, more major and more organized.

Tongs are smaller but also organized but not that major, and also i haven't seen too much main events of organized crime like the triads, the tongs aren't that much into the big deals and shit, less trouble and less on the news but still do alot of shit.

Lets say some example facts that include the tongs and triads but are not real, example:

Lets say the triads have a 100,000 people at one period but the tongs have like 10,000 people during that same period.

Lets say the traids are in a 100 countries and the tongs are in 50 countries.

Lets say the traids have 10 organized shootings in one day in the world and the tongs have 1 organized shooting in one day in the world.

kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe » August 12th, 2005, 8:00 pm

But they are both from china.

kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe » August 12th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Those are some examples of how it can be, but are not real facts, so don't get angry.

dblockin

Unread post by dblockin » August 16th, 2005, 9:51 am

:D not at all thanks for clearing that out

Jakk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jakk » September 29th, 2005, 5:16 pm

skrapersouth4life wrote:There are a lot fo tongs around here in the United States. Such as Ping on, Hop Sing and many others. Wah Ching used to also be a tong but now evolved into a street gang. Tongs were really back then associations that protected the Chinese people, but now is a criminal orgination, most of them. I am not saying all.
these groups are all Traid cells of The 14K Triads, Sun Yee On and the Wo Sing Wo triads

wasiu0607

Unread post by wasiu0607 » November 27th, 2005, 7:40 pm

so tongs n triads r mostly chinese huh

peace2dastreets
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by peace2dastreets » November 30th, 2005, 10:47 pm

Tongs and Triads are very different in their roots and history and everything. Tongs are mostly village associations that were loosely built up on old notions of 'jianghu' from in China. Jianghu is like the 'underworld' connections kind of... hard to explain. But anyways, Tongs are mostly a uniquely 'overseas' chinese phenomenon. I don't think there's such things as 'tongs' in China.

Triads on the other hand were originally political organizations that were there to overthrow the 'non-chinese' rulers of China. If u dunno what i mean, the last family of emperors of chinese weren't ethncially 'Han' Chinese. They were Manchu. This fact, combined by the fact that white people were ruining the country with guns and opium, made many, especially the Shaolin monks, to despise the manchu. In fact, the 'true triads' such as the Wo Sing Wo or the Sun Yee On, can allegedly trace their lineage of leaders back to the original 7 monks who started the first Triad when their shaolin monastery was burnt down by the Manchu army. So the Triads were actually originally there to protect chinese people and there to fight opium. Now they're just the opposite.

And to people out there, don't underestimate the triads. They are everywhere, u just don't know it. I recently did a university paper on them and its absolutely incredible what i've learnt about them. The money they make, and the kind of business they run... Amazing... Not saying its good, but just saying its awe-inspiring.

btw, i don't think Wah Ching or Ghost shadows or any of those are Tongs. They were just the gang enforcers for the actual tongs. I think i read a bit about their history, especially of Wah Ching, in the book Chinese Playground (i highly recommend this book btw). As for Big Circle Boys. Wah CHing goes all the way back to the late 60's early 70's btw if i'm not wrong. Placing them as starting up in the 80 is prolly too late a date.

And one more thing. The Triads and Tongs and all this stuff is like China itself. China is such a huge country with so much going on inside it, its impossible to define it or to try to steryotype it. For example, if i were to say Chinese people do something a certain way, there's prolly a couple hundred million people doing that thing a different way. So there's not really any point in trying to define the Triad or their activities and especially not their structure. There's no such thing as a triad 'cell'... There can be affiliations but to go to say that a North American street gang reports to some triad headquarters in China is far from realistic. Nowadays, the first loyalty is to money and nothing else. U can be in a triad at war with another triad but u get together with a couple boyz form the other triad and do business... Thats how it is. Righteousness is dead.

Hope this explains a bit. SOrry if i gave u a headache

blah
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by blah » December 9th, 2005, 8:42 pm

you mind posting that article

vincedaman

Unread post by vincedaman » December 23rd, 2005, 1:27 am

man i still dont know what tong means and im a chinese.
Well all i can say is that most of the triad organization is focused in the GuangZhou provicne and in Taiwan.

anders1888
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by anders1888 » January 6th, 2006, 10:25 am

THE TONGS ARE ALSO A VERY FAMOUS GLASGOW GANG - THAT USE RAZORS AS THERE WEAPON OF CHOICE

THERE IS A MOVIE CALLED SMALL FACES ABOUT THEM

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 6th, 2006, 12:33 pm

vincedaman wrote:man i still dont know what tong means and im a chinese.
Well all i can say is that most of the triad organization is focused in the GuangZhou provicne and in Taiwan.

Here it is:
The first American-based "Tong" - the literal translation means "meeting hall," is an extension of the merchant associations that were first organized in 1847 in San Francisco as a means of preserving cultural identity and providing a social outlet.

http://www.search-international.com/Wha ... ngangs.htm

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 27th, 2006, 9:39 pm

hows it going folks.

i just happened to be browsing the web and came across this website and decided to jump in. I am from san francisco, and also a gung fu sifu. my own sifu and sigung and dai sigung were all members of the hop sing tong going back to the early 1920's.

my sifu was also an original member of the wah ching as well.

just keeping it short because this is my first time, and don't know if people are still posting here......willl check in later.

hsc

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 28th, 2006, 1:10 am

hopsingconnected wrote:hows it going folks.

i just happened to be browsing the web and came across this website and decided to jump in. I am from san francisco, and also a gung fu sifu. my own sifu and sigung and dai sigung were all members of the hop sing tong going back to the early 1920's.

just keeping it short because this is my first time, and don't know if people are still posting here......willl check in later.

hsc
Fascinating. Let's see what you know. Start with something simple. Name the oldest street in Chinatown, San Francisco and tell me why it is named that.

:)

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 28th, 2006, 2:10 am

hopsingconnected wrote:hows it going folks.

hsc
aye is this your group?

http://www.hungsing.com/america.htm

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 28th, 2006, 7:08 pm

yes that is my sifu

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 28th, 2006, 7:10 pm

so old shattered hand does that answer it for you?

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 29th, 2006, 7:10 pm

hopsingconnected wrote:so old shattered hand does that answer it for you?
I was checking your knowledge of San Francisco Chinese historical culture friend, not your gang affiliation. I've been on the oldest street in Chinatown and was told by a resident who lived there how it got its name. Peace.

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 29th, 2006, 7:54 pm

if you are talking about brennam place i don't know much about the history or backgrounds on streets and such but i do have knowledge of real deal tongs.

the proof is on my sifu's website and the common knowlede of who my branch is heavily connected to.

but since the subject was tongs and wah ching i jumped in on the conversation since my sifu is both.

no problems, just communication.

peace

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 29th, 2006, 9:00 pm

To me a real sifu/master/whatever would not train dangerous criminals

That was the mistake the last Shaolin monks made, while escaping one of the emperors they unwittingly started the Triads, I'm sure most of you who know Asian crime heard of them, heck they were in Grand Theft Auto III LOL

I guess there are different ideas of fighting philosophy but in Korea, many masters would kick out anyone who would use it for personal gain. Which is why almost all Korean martial arts died and most TaeKwonDo teachers are crap because most got kicked out halfway through training, thus the weakening of what was known as TaeKyon and HwaRangDo into "sports" rather than "arts"

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 31st, 2006, 2:26 pm

in american Chinese communities tongs were a part of chinese culture. real hard core fighters joined the tong. the tongs needed gung fu masters to teach them gung fu.

gung fu is not about morals, its about survival.

i would rather learn gung fu from a triad or tong member because at least i know i would be learning how to truly use what works.

peace

hopsingconnected

Unread post by hopsingconnected » March 31st, 2006, 2:30 pm

what do you mean unwittingly started the triads?

In the Hung Mun or Heaven and Earth Society the main founder was Cai DeZhong, also known as the Green Grass Monk. He and the other four escaped and met first at Wu Loong River then the Red Flower Pavillion where they agreed to begin the Hung Mun or as some may call the Fut Ga Hung Mun.

The founder of Fut San Hung SIng Choy Lee Fut is Jeong Yim who was a student of Cai DeZhong who used the name Green Grass Monk.

Jinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky » June 5th, 2006, 7:09 pm

anders1888 wrote:THE TONGS ARE ALSO A VERY FAMOUS GLASGOW GANG - THAT USE RAZORS AS THERE WEAPON OF CHOICE

THERE IS A MOVIE CALLED SMALL FACES ABOUT THEM
There name in the movie was Garraside Tongs

In real life there called Real Calton Tongs they are from Calton in the east end of Glasgow

I'm from there

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 5th, 2006, 9:24 pm

hopsingconnected wrote:gung fu is not about morals, its about survival.
sigh.....

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 6th, 2006, 9:06 pm

hopsingconnected wrote:in american Chinese communities tongs were a part of chinese culture. real hard core fighters joined the tong. the tongs needed gung fu masters to teach them gung fu.

gung fu is not about morals, its about survival.

i would rather learn gung fu from a triad or tong member because at least i know i would be learning how to truly use what works.

peace
"Martial artists are people who train themselves to endure. Those who can't stand an empty stomach and use the techniques they've devoted long years to for theft are no martial artists!"
- Jiraiya-sama