Oz

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

OZ on Showtime

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 21st, 2004, 8:36 pm

I would watch OZ show sometimes, but it would bore me times than not and maybe that's why I don't see it aired anymore. Did it get cancelled?

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: OZ on Showtime

Unread post by wcrockets » January 22nd, 2004, 9:14 am

Yes. Their homepage at http://www.hbo.com/oz/ says "Gone but not forgotten."

style
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by style » January 22nd, 2004, 5:39 pm

I don't think it got cancelled. Instead I think they decided to stop doing the show. It was one of the more successful HBO series' up until the end.

Sheeklouchdblock
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Sheeklouchdblock » January 24th, 2004, 2:05 pm

alonso wrote:I would watch OZ show sometimes, but it would bore me times than not and maybe that's why I don't see it aired anymore. Did it get cancelled?

Its on Showtime now ??? I thought it was only HBO, Unless Alonzo made typo..........

style
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by style » January 26th, 2004, 12:54 am

yeah i think its a mistake, cuz the creators ended the show. HBO would have never given it up.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 27th, 2004, 8:58 pm

It's still on on Fridays at 7 to 9 pm than also at 10 pm to 12pm.

Speaking of that show what are your favorite quotes and characters. My favorite quote is:

"Guys like Keller are hunters. They kill for sport."

My favorite character would have to be Adibissi, Keller, and Hoyt.

Sheeklouchdblock
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Sheeklouchdblock » January 27th, 2004, 9:52 pm

My Fav Characters is :Adebisi and O'rielly.....

guerrillablackhawk
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by guerrillablackhawk » August 12th, 2004, 4:04 pm

Sheeklouchdblock wrote:My Fav Characters is :Adebisi and O'rielly.....
OZ good low budget HBO idea got good rating for the price cost to complete the job.

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kenni » January 13th, 2005, 11:59 am

i only watched 6 and 7 season, they're the best.

murphee

Unread post by murphee » January 13th, 2005, 5:04 pm

i got into watching OZ a couple months back. my favourite is Ryan O' Reilly. i think that its a bit too graphic for me sometimes, me being a girl n all maybe im not up to that stuff sometimes! dont get me wrong though i think its a great show, helps keep me outta trouble cos i aint NEVER getting locked up after watching that show!!

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kenni » January 14th, 2005, 1:21 am

yea, ryan's cool.. he's my fav aswell..

Red Rum56
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Red Rum56 » January 30th, 2005, 12:35 am

First two seasons where the best because they where the most realistic. My fav characters where Ryan O'Reily and Vernon 'Vern' Schillinger.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » February 21st, 2005, 11:15 am

I just rewatched season 4 and i love the show. they should have never killed off Abedisi though!

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 4th, 2005, 10:33 am

word OZ repped on the low for alotta people, it showed prison on a more candid scale, any of ya see the episode with Supreme Allah http://www.angelfire.com/ny/oz4life/allah.html 5 percenters on HBO, whats next?

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Oz

Unread post by none for you » January 22nd, 2006, 10:34 pm

I wanna know what other's think of this show.. I got completely sucked in, renting entire seasons at a time. I've been having a great time watching it.
I thought by watching it I might be able to understand what it is my friend goes through being in the lockup.
for the most part it seems pretty believable, but some stuff is ridiculous, like inmates screening mail, and some of the visiting room ethics, but I'm wondering, how true to form it actually is.

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tuco » January 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Great show, no doubt about it. Tom Fontana (the creator and writer) did a wonderful job. Oz is the greatest character-driven-action-drama ever screened on TV. It's deep and clever ; Usually, nobody uses those words when it comes to TV (Thank you HBO for delivering such great shows).

But the thing that must strucked me with Oz is that NOBODY could do such a thing in cinema. It's too intense, too violent, and I may add too bright, for the big screen.

The cast is also great and it features some of the most finest performances ever recorded on celluloid (with mentions to Tomas Milian, Adewale Abagjale, JK Simmons, Lee Tergsen, Mark Margolis, Eamonn Walker, Terry Kinney, Ernie Hudson, Harold Perrinneau, Dean Winters, Robert Clohessy, Luis Guzman, Gano Grills and Treach). My only regret is that Edward Bunker and Danny Trejo never got involved in the show.

To me, Oz is the best show ever created alongside Michael Mann's Crime Story, David Simon's The Wire, Matt Groening's The Simpsons and David Milch's Deadwood.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » January 26th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Tuco wrote:Great show, no doubt about it. Tom Fontana (the creator and writer) did a wonderful job. Oz is the greatest character-driven-action-drama ever screened on TV. It's deep and clever ; Usually, nobody uses those words when it comes to TV (Thank you HBO for delivering such great shows).

But the thing that must strucked me with Oz is that NOBODY could do such a thing in cinema. It's too intense, too violent, and I may add too bright, for the big screen.

The cast is also great and it features some of the most finest performances ever recorded on celluloid (with mentions to Tomas Milian, Adewale Abagjale, JK Simmons, Lee Tergsen, Mark Margolis, Eamonn Walker, Terry Kinney, Ernie Hudson, Harold Perrinneau, Dean Winters, Robert Clohessy, Luis Guzman, Gano Grills and Treach). My only regret is that Edward Bunker and Danny Trejo never got involved in the show.

To me, Oz is the best show ever created alongside Michael Mann's Crime Story, David Simon's The Wire, Matt Groening's The Simpsons and David Milch's Deadwood.

I have loved every minute and character of Oz.... someone said seasons 6 and 7.. woohoo! because i Am only up to half way through season 5... yes from beginning to end....

as for deadwood, never could get into it, which is very strange, because I LOVE westerns././/

I have to believe Oz hits pretty close to the truth.

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tuco » January 27th, 2006, 4:57 am

Série-Club, the french cable channel which broadcasted Oz, made an interesting documentary about Oz and his depiction of life in prison. They interviewed a former bank robber, freshly released from jail, and Véronique Vasseur, a jail doctor, who wrote an impressive book about his experiences called "Medecin Chef à la Prison de la Santé" (Doctor in Charge of the Santé Penitentiary). The bank robber was also in the "La Santé" Penitentiary, which is the roughest prison in the country. Both of them said that show is pretty close to reality. Some stuff was made up, of course, for drama purposes. I don't know about the situation in USA's Jails, but, for instance, in France, no inmates can read the letters coming in or out of the pen ; the hacks would do it. But Véronique Vasseur said that she went through a lot of similar situations that happened to Lauren Velèz's character (Doctor Nathan). For example, one dangerous inmate fell in love with her and did everything, including trying to ruin her life on the outside by his connections, to make his husband disappear. What said the bank robber was pretty outstanding. he declared that even though some stuff was made up, the characters were very real. He knew in La Santé a lot of guys whom their profiles match perfectly with the ones of Adebisi, Kareem Saïd, Schillinger, O'Reilly, Beecher, Antonio Nappa and Alvarez.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » January 28th, 2006, 12:04 am

thanks... I can totally see that.
Tuco wrote:Série-Club, the french cable channel which broadcasted Oz, made an interesting documentary about Oz and his depiction of life in prison. They interviewed a former bank robber, freshly released from jail, and Véronique Vasseur, a jail doctor, who wrote an impressive book about his experiences called "Medecin Chef à la Prison de la Santé" (Doctor in Charge of the Santé Penitentiary). The bank robber was also in the "La Santé" Penitentiary, which is the roughest prison in the country. Both of them said that show is pretty close to reality. Some stuff was made up, of course, for drama purposes. I don't know about the situation in USA's Jails, but, for instance, in France, no inmates can read the letters coming in or out of the pen ; the hacks would do it. But Véronique Vasseur said that she went through a lot of similar situations that happened to Lauren Velèz's character (Doctor Nathan). For example, one dangerous inmate fell in love with her and did everything, including trying to ruin her life on the outside by his connections, to make his husband disappear. What said the bank robber was pretty outstanding. he declared that even though some stuff was made up, the characters were very real. He knew in La Santé a lot of guys whom their profiles match perfectly with the ones of Adebisi, Kareem Saïd, Schillinger, O'Reilly, Beecher, Antonio Nappa and Alvarez.

fantomseed23

Unread post by fantomseed23 » April 27th, 2006, 8:36 pm

out of the 1st season the funniest part was when that guy in the glasses ( forgot his name) beats up the leader of the aryan brotherhood and then takes a shite over the guys face LOL

Dregsta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Dregsta » June 15th, 2006, 10:33 pm

its a ok show but i CANT STAND THE INTRODUCTION THEME!I mean it sounds like fucking festival music.

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » June 27th, 2006, 4:51 am

^^lol yeah its funny