Colors (1988)

Discuss TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage. Video games are also discussed in this section.
User avatar
Fatestar
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 58
Joined: September 6th, 2004, 3:08 am

Re: Colors

Unread post by Fatestar » February 22nd, 2005, 11:54 am

hell yeah, that movie was tight!

Reeky
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 61
Joined: February 5th, 2005, 3:50 pm
Location: Asbury Park, NJ

Re: Colors

Unread post by Reeky » February 22nd, 2005, 3:27 pm

thats a classic gangsta flick.

c-dub
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 53
Joined: November 3rd, 2004, 7:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by c-dub » February 25th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Shark wrote:I have the dvd.....In the scene where sean pen arrested high top you can see Broadway Gangster crip sprayed on the wall or somthing, in another scene i think by the taco shop in you can see "IVC" sprayed on the wall or garbage dumpster. Inglewood Villiage Crip.
High top was supposedly from there and that was why he was beat up in prison for being a crip. I live really close to there. That is 112 bgc hood.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by se11 » February 26th, 2005, 7:19 pm

high top was a blood.

Individual
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 760
Joined: November 26th, 2004, 9:32 am
Location: Los Angeles CA

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by Individual » February 27th, 2005, 6:23 pm

Good Movie

They filmed some of it in San Pedro

the part where they raid the house and you can see the L.A Harbor

c-dub
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 53
Joined: November 3rd, 2004, 7:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by c-dub » March 5th, 2005, 4:35 pm

high top was not a blood he was supposedly from broadway

corn
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 199
Joined: November 12th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: the dirty south!!!!

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by corn » March 5th, 2005, 6:10 pm

i thought he was a blood cause of the clothin and some people called him a blood because in the jail scene the group of bloods told him to have respect fo red and that bloods dont slang to crip members plus if he was crip why would he wear red to get beat down

PS1979
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 133
Joined: October 10th, 2004, 6:03 pm

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by PS1979 » March 5th, 2005, 6:56 pm

yeah hightop was a blood....remember the scene where hodges and pacman are busting the crips in that alley way, well when hodges busts em' he asks hightop to pull up his shirt sleeve, and hodges sees a tat on hightops arm an says "this kids a blood"....thats when all them crips say "your dead"...."canceled for christmas" etc...

User avatar
DiaBo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 888
Joined: June 25th, 2004, 11:25 am
Contact:

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by DiaBo » March 6th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Hightop got the shit wooped out of him in that scene.

Skillz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 47
Joined: March 6th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Contact:

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by Skillz » March 6th, 2005, 5:05 pm

That was a fucking sick movie, real real good. And that "Colors" by Ice-T was fucking awesome.

Skillz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 47
Joined: March 6th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Contact:

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by Skillz » March 6th, 2005, 5:06 pm

PS1979 wrote:yeah hightop was a blood....remember the scene where hodges and pacman are busting the crips in that alley way, well when hodges busts em' he asks hightop to pull up his shirt sleeve, and hodges sees a tat on hightops arm an says "this kids a blood"....thats when all them crips say "your dead"...."canceled for christmas" etc...
Ahah yeah that was funny as fuck, they was like "let's catch this slob around the corner" funny shit.

corn
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 199
Joined: November 12th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: the dirty south!!!!

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by corn » March 6th, 2005, 5:13 pm

man they should have showed the bloods and crips fighting against each other in the movie and it would have been funny if they showed that 14 or 15 year old crip beatin up high top with the rest of the group

PS1979
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 133
Joined: October 10th, 2004, 6:03 pm

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by PS1979 » March 6th, 2005, 5:28 pm

they need to make a sequel.....flip the script 2005 style.
Bring back some of the old characters, gerardo sure could use the work!

User avatar
North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 421
Joined: May 17th, 2004, 1:14 pm
Location: T.O.
Contact:

Re: Colors

Unread post by North Face » March 10th, 2005, 9:29 am

This movie explains tremendous information on how street gangs work. It also explained how this movie influences youths to become gang members.

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Colors (1988)

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 27th, 2005, 1:47 am

The 21st street gang....What gang are they really based on; And, which real life territory was the setting of their gang filmed in?

Someone told me today that the real gang is called, "FrogTown", and that is the reason they named the lead character, "Frog". (played by the late Trenidad Silva)

Is this true?

If anyone knows, let me know.

LosAngeles
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: January 19th, 2005, 11:42 pm

Re: "Colors" Question...

Unread post by LosAngeles » April 27th, 2005, 6:04 pm

i dunno wut gang they were based on but the place they fimled it was at the belmont tunnels around it is headhunters13 hood

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Re: "Colors" Question...

Unread post by se11 » April 27th, 2005, 6:09 pm

StillNoScript wrote:The 21st street gang....What gang are they really based on; And, which real life territory was the setting of their gang filmed in?

Someone told me today that the real gang is called, "FrogTown", and that is the reason they named the lead character, "Frog". (played by the late Trenidad Silva)

Is this true?

If anyone knows, let me know.
i dont think there are any mixed gangs like that in LA.

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Re: "Colors" Question...

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 29th, 2005, 3:27 pm

se11 wrote:
StillNoScript wrote:The 21st street gang....What gang are they really based on; And, which real life territory was the setting of their gang filmed in?

Someone told me today that the real gang is called, "FrogTown", and that is the reason they named the lead character, "Frog". (played by the late Trenidad Silva)

Is this true?

If anyone knows, let me know.
i dont think there are any mixed gangs like that in LA.
That gang was a mexican gang, with a couple of black members and ONE white member. True, you probably don't see that often in L.A., but it's there. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and concede that the red headed guy, who was also in , "Cant Buy Me Love", may have been hollywood effect. Even so, he didn't do a bad acting job.

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Re: "Colors" Question...

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 29th, 2005, 3:32 pm

LosAngeles wrote:i dunno wut gang they were based on but the place they fimled it was at the belmont tunnels around it is headhunters13 hood
I watched Mi Vida Loca last night, and noticed that the downtown L.A. buildings are just about at the same location in the background as they are in the 21st street setting in Colors. The surrounding hills look similar too. So I'm assuming the 21st street setting in Colors can't be far from Echo Park, either.

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 445
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Unread post by Word » May 29th, 2005, 5:11 pm

If you look closely on the police case where the Crips shot up the Bloods funeral, when the Crip car goes crashing into the gate to lead to the flip over you will see ECC 89th Street with BatMan as the writer who hit it up. Play it in slow motion.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » June 1st, 2005, 1:07 pm

actually hages(duvall) tells sean penn there a "mix gang" and they "get there ass beat constantly"

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 2nd, 2005, 8:49 pm

se11 wrote:actually hages(duvall) tells sean penn there a "mix gang" and they "get there ass beat constantly"
True. But I can also see by watching the movie that everyone in the gang is Mexican, except for the two black guys, and the red headed dude from "Can't Buy Me Love". (Forget his name)

All of the girls are Mexican. All of the men except for the above mentioned are Mexican.

They use Mexican-American slang.

So, maybe the original script has them as a multi-racial gang; But the producers somewhere along the line just went ahead and made them a typical Sureno gang, with a couple of non mexican members. This happens between the script and the screen, all the time.

Remember, before Director Dennis Hopper picked up this project, it was intended to be about Chicago gangs. Hopper decided to make it about L.A., being that the L.A. gang scene was getting out of control at that time, and becoming a big national story.

So, I'm guessing Hodges' line about them being a 'mixed gang' was something that was never changed from the original Chicago script. Just my take.

Thanks for the input, though. And, I still want to hear from people who are from that area to give some info about the production of this movie, and what they remember about it.

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 238
Joined: June 8th, 2005, 11:51 am
Location: Argenteuil, France

Unread post by Tuco » June 8th, 2005, 2:05 pm

The film got 4 technical advisors (3 cops and 1 O.G. from South L.A.) :

The cops were represented by Roy A.Nunez from LASD's Operation Safe Streets, Dennis Fanning from LAPD's 77th Street CRASH and Tony Moreno (the real Pacman) from Metro Division's Gang Strike Unit. The O.G. was T.Rodgers (check on the site his great interview with Alex Alonso).

Michael Schiffer (the screenwriter brought by Dennis Hopper to revise Richard Dilello's initial script) said in an old interview that he rolled a lot with Tony Moreno in the tough parts of the Hollenbeck Division and met a couple of mixed gangs (latinos and blacks ) in Boyle Heights. He decided to exploit that fact in the script to maintain some characters who were present in the Dilello's initial script which, in the early drafts, DID NOT depicted gang life in L.A. but drug trafficking networks in Chicago's inner cities.

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 9th, 2005, 2:38 am

Tuco wrote:The film got 4 technical advisors (3 cops and 1 O.G. from South L.A.) :

The cops were represented by Roy A.Nunez from LASD's Operation Safe Streets, Dennis Fanning from LAPD's 77th Street CRASH and Tony Moreno (the real Pacman) from Metro Division's Gang Strike Unit. The O.G. was T.Rodgers (check on the site his great interview with Alex Alonso).

Michael Schiffer (the screenwriter brought by Dennis Hopper to revise Richard Dilello's initial script) said in an old interview that he rolled a lot with Tony Moreno in the tough parts of the Hollenbeck Division and met a couple of mixed gangs (latinos and blacks ) in Boyle Heights. He decided to exploit that fact in the script to maintain some characters who were present in the Dilello's initial script which, in the early drafts, DID NOT depicted gang life in L.A. but drug trafficking networks in Chicago's inner cities.
Thanks a bunch. I knew I read somewhere the film had something to do with Chicago originally. I was even skeptical as I typed it, wondering if I'd mixed Colors up with another movie. You cleared it right up. Good info.

Are you in the industry?

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 238
Joined: June 8th, 2005, 11:51 am
Location: Argenteuil, France

Unread post by Tuco » June 9th, 2005, 7:51 am

StillNoScript wrote :

Are you in the industry ?

Tuco's answer :

No. I'm a film journalist from France.

User avatar
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 914
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 1:27 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento
Location: Alta Califas
Contact:

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 9th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Tuco wrote:No. I'm a film journalist from France.
That's close enough, for my money. Hope to hear more from you!

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 324
Joined: August 5th, 2003, 12:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Unread post by willihen » June 11th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Alittle more trivia for ya'll.

when rocket, T-Bone, and other crips are on the curb with the mural in the background, Sean Penn and Duvall ride up and talk to one of the
"Crip DeVilles."

Now that same mural, block, is in William Friedkin's
"To live in Die and L.A."when Willem Dafoe and Steve James are walking down the street in that neighborhood.

If you wanna know what neighborhood it is
"112 Broadway Gangsters."

You see "BGC" and "112 Broadway Gangsters" hit up on the wall in
"To Live and Die in LA."

User avatar
purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1851
Joined: October 7th, 2004, 10:51 am
Location: Harlem World aka Purple City
Contact:

Unread post by purplecityhello » June 11th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Word wrote:If you look closely on the police case where the Crips shot up the Bloods funeral, when the Crip car goes crashing into the gate to lead to the flip over you will see ECC 89th Street with BatMan as the writer who hit it up. Play it in slow motion.
what the fuck is wrong with all ya niggas? ya study this shit like you gonna B tested on it later. its just a movie, and the shit wasnt that hot

i guess most of ya aint from the area and have no contact with gangs at all - the shit is no game of trivial pursuit, real niggas in reall hoods die off of colors all the time --- fuck a hightop, he was a character

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 445
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Unread post by Word » June 11th, 2005, 3:04 pm

purplecityhello wrote:
Word wrote:If you look closely on the police case where the Crips shot up the Bloods funeral, when the Crip car goes crashing into the gate to lead to the flip over you will see ECC 89th Street with BatMan as the writer who hit it up. Play it in slow motion.
what the fu-- is wrong with all ya niggas? ya study this shit like you gonna B tested on it later. its just a movie, and the shit wasnt that hot
:roll: Your an idiot. I studied the movie? Just because my DVD skips doesn't nessacarily mean I "studied" it.

User avatar
purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1851
Joined: October 7th, 2004, 10:51 am
Location: Harlem World aka Purple City
Contact:

Unread post by purplecityhello » June 11th, 2005, 3:08 pm

your whole steez is cake B

"what set was cut into the back of high top's hightop when he was in the babrer sharp on 87th st" or "what was sprayed on the wall when they were speeding thru the drive by scene as they turned the corner and the garbage can flipped over?"

haha r u serious, niggas is str8 geeks homie, do sumtin with ya life - join a gang or sumtin instead of watching old movies frame by frame looks for tags

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 445
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Unread post by Word » June 11th, 2005, 3:14 pm

purplecityhello wrote:your whole steez is cake B

"what set was cut into the back of high top's hightop when he was in the babrer sharp on 87th st" or "what was sprayed on the wall when they were speeding thru the drive by scene as they turned the corner and the garbage can flipped over?"

haha r u serious, niggas is str8 geeks homie, do sumtin with ya life - join a gang or sumtin instead of watching old movies frame by frame looks for tags

LoL... Right.. Your just poppin off at the mouth with this talk. You don't know me. And this was the first time I made a comment on a gang movie.

Your really a fool. How was I watching a movie "frame by frame". The DVD skipped and I noticed there was Crip grafitti on the back. Pause it. Wasn't hard to do. Took 10 seconds of my life with the press of a button. So nice try with your lil insults. :roll: :roll:

User avatar
purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1851
Joined: October 7th, 2004, 10:51 am
Location: Harlem World aka Purple City
Contact:

Unread post by purplecityhello » June 11th, 2005, 3:18 pm

yeah yur right^^^^^^ :D everytime my dvds skip i break out the notepade and jot notes on everything i see then post it up on here too B

you mad kool son - it was only 10 seconds out your life
thanks for giving me the actual time deviance
because if i didnt have it i prolly woulda thought u was a geek ass nigga
but since you know the actual amount of time that it took out your life B i guess youre ok

Post Reply

Return to “Film, TV, Footage, Documentaries & Video Games”