Do the Right Thing (1989) directed by Spike Lee

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Do the Right Thing (1989) directed by Spike Lee

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » June 18th, 2005, 5:21 pm

movie bout racial tensions in a new york neighborhood

did anybody see it?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » June 21st, 2005, 8:59 am

i seen parts of it. i dont understand it though. those kids kept going into that guys store starting shit and in the end spike lee sides against the people that called him their brother. i am confused about it.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 21st, 2005, 4:25 pm

My mother took me out of school to go see it when it was first released.

I don't remember much about the movie itself, but I remember my impressions about it.

At first, I was excited because I wasn't in school, but I remember feeling sick to my stomach after watching it.

I've been meaning to netflix it so I can get a more accurate impression of the movie.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » June 21st, 2005, 4:30 pm

One of the best movies spike lee made aside from Jungle Fever and Mo Better Blues and of course MALCOM X

ya need to buy it word up, ya must be white. this movie is a staple in the black community

SiNN702
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SiNN702 » June 21st, 2005, 4:39 pm

^^Agreed shit was tight.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » June 21st, 2005, 7:39 pm

i only seen the last like hour of it or so. but i didnt get the point of it? all i seen was the kids with the radio keep coming in to the guys store blasting the radio and disrespecting the guys property. then in the end they got into a fight he called them n***ers, and i think one of the black guys got shot. then there was a riot and the store burnt down.

what was the point of that movie?

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 28th, 2005, 5:18 am

purplecityhello wrote: ya must be white. this movie is a staple in the black community
I got this film, we need more films like this, putting out the right message. In England where i was born is predominantly white but everyday more and more people arrive there from Africa and face racist violence and hate. I now live in a black community and could not face being made the focus of racial hate like that which is focused on African immigrants in north-eastern England.

'Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love.' MLKJ