Dallas School Bans White Kids From Having 'Thug Day'

Discuss gangs in the The South in the following states; Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C. & West Virgina
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Dallas School Bans White Kids From Having 'Thug Day'

Unread post by 'X' » November 2nd, 2005, 11:19 am

White kids can't dress as 'thugs' anymore...
James Ragland:
Banning 'thugs' is only the start

So, "The Bubble" has burst.

Students and faculty members at Highland Park High School agreed yesterday that Thug Day, a three-year-old tradition of senior class members dressing like hoodlums, would never happen again.

Thank goodness.

The pronouncement came after the NAACP and others complained that the tradition not only crossed the lines of good taste, but also was racially and culturally insensitive.

If a Highland Park student wears an Afro wig or fake gold teeth again :shock: , he or she will be forced to change or go home.

"It's just common sense," said Helen Williams, director of communications for the school district. "The bottom line is, if it creates a disruption in the learning environment, we fix it."

Student Council president Sarah Johnson, a senior, said the student body welcomes the opportunity to correct the mistake. Thug Day was not a school-sanctioned theme day for homecoming week. It emerged as a senior prank three years ago.

Sadly, it didn't die instantly.

It had to be choked to death.

"The misconception is that we were intentionally being offensive," Sarah said. "We weren't :shock: . And that is something that we have learned. This is no longer something that can be taken lightly again – as a tradition."

I think we all should accept that apology and move on – but not before we address some deeper, underlying issues.

First of all, I'm not gravely offended that a few privileged kids at a predominantly white school thought it would be amusing to wear gold chains and dress like rappers or "gangstas" for a day.

I am rather disturbed.

And I want to point fingers, the first of which may surprise you. It is directed at the chief architects of the hip-hop culture these kids were mocking – mainly young black entertainers.

You see, hip-hop has come to define what "black" means to privileged white kids who live in affluent and homogenous bubbles such as Highland Park. Turn on BET or MTV late at night, or many hours of the day, and you'll find ample evidence of the distorted and too often degrading images being projected.

So it is no stretch for me to believe that the white kids who dressed as gang members and rap stars for Thug Day didn't really believe that their antics were racially insensitive. They see black youngsters celebrating that lifestyle every day – on TV if not in the streets of urban America.

Truth be told, many white kids these days are dressing like that anyway. They aren't wearing Afro wigs perhaps, but they are buying rap records and wearing baggy jeans to the hilt. The hip-hop culture, grounded in black culture, has gone worldwide.

It's no longer just a "black thang."

What's more offensive to me is that some of these privileged white kids associate being a "thug" with being black or Hispanic.

For that, parents must accept some responsibility. As I read accounts of the white students who went to school this month dressed as maids and yard workers on Fiesta Day or gang members on Thug Day (which officially was Western Day), some obvious questions came to mind: Where were their parents? Did they think this was funny, cool or appropriate?

Were they even clued in to what was going on?

And finally, Highland Park school officials must accept some blame for allowing this unofficial tradition to carry on for three years. They turned a blind eye for far too long.

The practice of mocking black culture in Highland Park actually goes back longer than Thug Day, as my stepdaughter, who graduated from the school district in 1996, can attest. One year, before playing a predominantly black football team, some kids pulled some similar racist pranks at a pep rally. She complained about it, and we now see how much good that did.

Highland Park High has 1,976 students, and 1,865 of them are white. The school has only six black students and 65 Hispanics, 32 Asians and eight American Indians.

Which gives the white students little opportunity to appreciate people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds. That's why it concerns me that the Highland Park school district only has a handful of minorities in its nearly 400-strong teaching ranks.

Ms. Williams couldn't give me an updated number, but the last official count submitted to the Texas Education Agency in 2003-04 put the number at five. Not one was black.

So it's no surprise that Sarah, the student body president, has had only one minority teacher in four years – her Hispanic government teacher.

Maybe that explains why Sarah, when asked whether she got dressed up as a "thug," politely declined to comment.

"Let's just say that won't happen again," she said.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 2nd, 2005, 11:53 am

I can't believe it went on for three years.

20_loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 20_loc » November 2nd, 2005, 12:19 pm

They think its funny and if its a almost all white school it will go on forever.

ChrisF202
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ChrisF202 » November 2nd, 2005, 12:59 pm

Good; this is one step to reduce the level of crime and to try and teach these people that acting like criminals is wrong

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » November 2nd, 2005, 1:00 pm

We should have Honkie Day.:idea:

20_loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 20_loc » November 2nd, 2005, 1:03 pm

:lol: :lol: Good idea i'll go get some little ass pants and some old navy shirts and listen to Linkin park. :lol: :lol:

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 2nd, 2005, 1:06 pm

20_loc wrote: :lol: :lol: Good idea i'll go get some little ass pants and some old navy shirts and listen to Linkin park. :lol: :lol:
Hey..I like Linkin Park!:) Some little ass pants! Now thats funny though...

20_loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 20_loc » November 2nd, 2005, 2:18 pm

Alright I listen to some Green Day.

blazeking
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by blazeking » November 2nd, 2005, 2:40 pm

Me, I have an ager problem so it DEFINITELY wouldn't have taken me three years to say sumthin about that. If it was in any other school were the is almost an equal amount of races in the school it wouldn't have been any "Thug Day" because it might turn out to be "Mass homicide because these people are so dam ignorant day". People need to think about the consequenses of their acions before they decide to do sum dumb s**t like that again. You feel me?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 2nd, 2005, 2:54 pm

blazeking wrote:Me, I have an ager problem so it DEFINITELY wouldn't have taken me three years to say sumthin about that. If it was in any other school were the is almost an equal amount of races in the school it wouldn't have been any "Thug Day" because it might turn out to be "Mass homicide because these people are so dam ignorant day". People need to think about the consequenses of their acions before they decide to do sum dumb s**t like that again. You feel me?
I feel you. I would have been saying something about my damn self!

mission
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Dallas School Bans White Kids From Having 'Thug Day'

Unread post by mission » November 2nd, 2005, 6:13 pm

X wrote:White kids can't dress as 'thugs' anymore...
James Ragland:

Students and faculty members at Highland Park High School agreed yesterday that Thug Day, a three-year-old tradition of senior class members dressing like hoodlums, would never happen again.

Thank goodness.

The pronouncement came after the NAACP and others complained that the tradition not only crossed the lines of good taste, but also was racially and culturally insensitive.

If a Highland Park student wears an Afro wig or fake gold teeth again :shock: , he or she will be forced to change or go home.

"It's just common sense," said Helen Williams, director of communications for the school district. "The bottom line is, if it creates a disruption in the learning environment, we fix it."

Student Council president Sarah Johnson, a senior, said the student body welcomes the opportunity to correct the mistake. Thug Day was not a school-sanctioned theme day for homecoming week. It emerged as a senior prank three years ago.

"The misconception is that we were intentionally being offensive," Sarah said. "We weren't :shock: . And that is something that we have learned. This is no longer something that can be taken lightly again – as a tradition."

I think we all should accept that apology and move on – but not before we address some deeper, underlying issues.

First of all, I'm not gravely offended that a few privileged kids at a predominantly white school thought it would be amusing to wear gold chains and dress like rappers or "gangstas" for a day.

I am rather disturbed.

And I want to point fingers, the first of which may surprise you. It is directed at the chief architects of the hip-hop culture these kids were mocking – mainly young black entertainers.

You see, hip-hop has come to define what "black" means to privileged white kids who live in affluent and homogenous bubbles such as Highland Park. Turn on BET or MTV late at night, or many hours of the day, and you'll find ample evidence of the distorted and too often degrading images being projected.

So it is no stretch for me to believe that the white kids who dressed as gang members and rap stars for Thug Day didn't really believe that their antics were racially insensitive. They see black youngsters celebrating that lifestyle every day – on TV if not in the streets of urban America.

Truth be told, many white kids these days are dressing like that anyway. They aren't wearing Afro wigs perhaps, but they are buying rap records and wearing baggy jeans to the hilt. The hip-hop culture, grounded in black culture, has gone worldwide.

What's more offensive to me is that some of these privileged white kids associate being a "thug" with being black or Hispanic.

For that, parents must accept some responsibility. As I read accounts of the white students who went to school this month dressed as maids and yard workers on Fiesta Day or gang members on Thug Day (which officially was Western Day), some obvious questions came to mind: Where were their parents? Did they think this was funny, cool or appropriate?

And finally, Highland Park school officials must accept some blame for allowing this unofficial tradition to carry on for three years. They turned a blind eye for far too long.

The practice of mocking black culture in Highland Park actually goes back longer than Thug Day, as my stepdaughter, who graduated from the school district in 1996, can attest. One year, before playing a predominantly black football team, some kids pulled some similar racist pranks at a pep rally. She complained about it, and we now see how much good that did.

Highland Park High has 1,976 students, and 1,865 of them are white. The school has only six black students and 65 Hispanics, 32 Asians and eight American Indians.

Which gives the white students little opportunity to appreciate people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds. That's why it concerns me that the Highland Park school district only has a handful of minorities in its nearly 400-strong teaching ranks.

Ms. Williams couldn't give me an updated number, but the last official count submitted to the Texas Education Agency in 2003-04 put the number at five. Not one was black.

So it's no surprise that Sarah, the student body president, has had only one minority teacher in four years – her Hispanic government teacher.

Maybe that explains why Sarah, when asked whether she got dressed up as a "thug," politely declined to comment.

Highland Park is it's own city within Dallas. They have thier own Police,Jail,City Councel,etc.. It is home to Millionaires, Huge Mansions ,etc... That's why the article says "Thier Bubble has Burst", For the kids that live there, they are surrounded by wealth,There is no need for them to go outside of Highland Park/University Park, so they Know nothing else. If your in town, just don't have your car break down in Highland Park & be anything but white, because you WILL get BUMRUSHED by 5.0 LOL

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » November 2nd, 2005, 6:40 pm

20_loc wrote:Alright I listen to some Green Day.
Oh cool, I didnt know you were white

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 4th, 2005, 8:26 am

20_loc wrote: :lol: :lol: Good idea i'll go get some little ass pants and some old navy shirts and listen to Linkin park. :lol: :lol:
Except they did that thing with Jay-Z now maybe they are MTV "thugs" too... LOL

20_loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 20_loc » November 4th, 2005, 11:00 am

:lol: :lol:

Dunn
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Dunn » November 4th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:We should have Honkie Day.:idea:
Dog what day isn't honkey day?

Crash
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Crash » November 4th, 2005, 8:57 pm

Gangs aint nothin to take lightly.If they actually became real thugs they'd learn that shit aint cool or fun either.I bet they also think that bloods and crips is just a fashion trend too.

blazeking
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by blazeking » November 5th, 2005, 11:00 am

I kno the shyt ain't a fashion trend firsthand. I started bangin at 10 and i'm 20 now. Some people can just be so f***ing stupid.

NewMission
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NewMission » July 11th, 2008, 10:56 am

mission wrote:
X wrote:White kids can't dress as 'thugs' anymore...
James Ragland:

Thank goodness.

I am rather disturbed.

Highland Park is it's own city within Dallas. They have thier own Police,Jail,City Councel,etc.. It is home to Millionaires, Huge Mansions ,etc... That's why the article says "Thier Bubble has Burst", For the kids that live there, they are surrounded by wealth,There is no need for them to go outside of Highland Park/University Park, so they Know nothing else. If your in town, just don't have your car break down in Highland Park & be anything but white, because you WILL get BUMRUSHED by 5.0 LOL

I'm Half White, and the car incident didn't happen to me personally.

NewMission
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re:

Unread post by NewMission » July 11th, 2008, 10:58 am

A Ghost wrote:
20_loc wrote:Alright I listen to some Green Day.
Oh cool, I didnt know you were white

My bad, I thought this was aimed at me.

thebasher
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: los angeles

Unread post by thebasher » October 12th, 2008, 9:52 pm

stupd