3 Black Youth Executed, Newark, NJ

Discuss gangs in the Northeast section of the US in the following states; Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island & Vermont.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

3 Black Youth Executed, Newark, NJ

Unread post by 'X' » August 7th, 2007, 8:07 am

School deaths add to wave of Newark slayings
3 student musicians lined up, shot dead; fourth wounded

NEWARK, N.J. - They were on the cusp of adulthood: four friends who made music together and were preparing to return to the college where their friendship had blossomed.

An apparent robbery attempt by several assailants made the four the latest victims in this city where the murder rate has risen 50 percent since 1998.

Police said three were forced to kneel against a wall and shot at close range; a fourth was wounded.

The killings bring Newark’s murder total for the year to 60, and put pressure on Mayor Cory A. Booker, who campaigned last year on a promise of reducing crime.

“He doesn’t deserve another day, another second, while our children are at stake,” Donna Jackson, president of the community-based Take Back Our Streets organization, said Monday at a news conference in front of City Hall. “Anyone who has children in the city is in panic mode. It takes something like this for people to open up their eyes and understand that not every person killed in Newark is a drug dealer.”

At a news conference, Booker said it was a time for unity and “not a time to play politics and divide our city.” Killed were Terrance Aeriel, 18, Iofemi Hightower, 20, and Dashon Harvey, 20. Aeriel’s 19-year-old sister, Natasha, was listed in fair condition at Newark’s University Hospital after being shot in the head. She was found about 30 feet from her friends, slumped near some bleachers.

Authorities were assembling details of the crime from witnesses including Natasha Aeriel, but had not made any arrests by late Monday night.

'Good kids with bright futures'
The four lived in Newark and were to attend Delaware State University this fall. None had criminal records, according to authorities, and relatives and neighbors said they were not involved in drinking, drugs or gangs.

“They were good kids,” Essex County Prosecutor Paula Dow said.

Several law enforcement groups offered a reward of more than $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those involved, Booker said.

“I’m very angry because they were good kids with bright futures,” Hightower’s mother, Shalga, said Monday. “They didn’t deserve it. My daughter was a very sweet, loving young lady who would help anybody in need.”

Hightower and the Aeriels had been friends since elementary school and played in the marching band at West Side High School. Terrance Aeriel, known as T.J., took Hightower to the school prom in 2006, chauffeured by his sister. He also worked with kids at a teen center in Newark’s Vailsburg section.

At Delaware State they met Harvey, also a musician, and struck up a friendship. When in Newark, they liked to go to the elementary school, which sits in a middle-class neighborhood less than a mile from the campus of Seton Hall University, to hang out and listen to music.

Harvey’s page on MySpace.com was filled with messages from friends on Monday. He described himself as a sometime runway model whose heroes were Superman and Dr. Martin Luther King “and last but not least, My DAD.” He planned to graduate from Delaware State in 2009 with a degree in psychology.

His peers elected him the school’s Mr. Junior, part of DSU’s homecoming court.

Killers' parents blamed
Harvey’s father, James, a former city water department employee, focused blame Monday on the parents of the assailants.

“If you raised your kids better, this would not happen,” he said.

Natasha Aeriel was a junior majoring in biology who played alto saxophone in the school’s marching band, according to university spokesman Carlos Holmes.

Terrence Aeriel was studying business management and wasn’t enrolled last spring, but had re-enrolled for the fall. He played baritone sax and attended Delaware State’s band camp last summer.

Hightower worked two jobs and enrolled at the school recently. One of her jobs was at Brighton Gardens, an assisted living center in nearby West Orange, where her mother also worked.

On the afternoon of the killings, Iofemi told her mother she planned to spend the night at Natasha Aeriel’s house near the school.

“The last time I heard her voice was Saturday night,” Hightower said between sobs. “She called me from work to let me know Natasha was going to pick her up and she was going to spend the night. She told me she loved me.”

The Aeriels’ mother, Renee Tucker, said the last time she saw them was around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, when they told her they were going around the corner to get something to eat.

“They said they were going to come right back to the house,” Tucker said.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » August 7th, 2007, 11:36 am

Newark..... Image

Blues
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Blues » August 7th, 2007, 4:50 pm

I feel for the kids........

But James needs to realize that no matter

where you live at kids can be killers.Unless he

knew for sure that they were raised w/neglect

he can't say that.It can surely be emotional problems

that lead kids to do things like this.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 7th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Damn.... RIP
So much potential lost to themselves, their families, and the world

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 8th, 2007, 7:52 pm

I hope like hell they catch the persons that did this. This is so sad.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » August 8th, 2007, 11:11 pm

this is a sad ass story, but again u never kno wat the kids were into or upto , how many times do u hear....my kid wasnt in gangs, wasnt into drinkin or drugs from the parent of the murder victim , especialy young murder victims.

its still a sad thing , r.i.p

Black Top
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Black Top » August 9th, 2007, 8:21 am

Mcminister wrote:this is a sad ass story, but again u never kno wat the kids were into or upto , how many times do u hear....my kid wasnt in gangs, wasnt into drinkin or drugs from the parent of the murder victim , especialy young murder victims.

its still a sad thing , r.i.p
same thing i said to myself. i hope they wasn't but, you don't know unless you know them personally.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » August 9th, 2007, 8:47 am

Teen arrested in N.J. schoolyard deaths
By JEFFREY GOLD, Associated Press Writer

NEWARK, N.J. - Police arrested a 15-year-old boy in the killings of three college students in a schoolyard, shootings considered jarring even in a city used to violence, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

The teen was arrested Wednesday night, and an arrest warrant was issued for 31-year-old man, Mayor Cory A. Booker said.

Four friends, ages 18 to 20, were shot while hanging out in a school yard Saturday night. Authorities have said robbery appeared to be the motive.

Three of the victims — Terrance Aeriel, 18, Dashon Harvey, 20; and Iofemi Hightower, 20 — were forced to kneel against a wall and were shot at close range. The fourth, 19-year-old Natasha Aeriel, Terrance Aeriel's sister, survived a wound to her head and is hospitalized.

Authorities were seeking a man named Jose Carranza based on fingerprint and ballistics evidence, Booker said. The teen's name was not released because of his age.

Despite being under sedation for periods, Natasha Aeriel has been providing authorities with information about the shootings, the mayor said.

The killings brought unwanted publicity to the city, which has struggled for years with violent crime. Residents and law enforcement organizations have donated $150,000 to aid the victims' families and to a reward fund.

"This is a defining moment for our city. The crime is not going to define Newark but our response to it," Booker said Thursday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

All four victims were planning to attend Delaware State University this fall. Instead, three were to be buried Saturday in separate services.

A friend of the victims, Samantha Williams, said she was overwhelmed by news of an arrest.

"I can actually stop crying, I can sleep peacefully," said Williams, 18, of Orange.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » August 9th, 2007, 5:39 pm

I just dont know what to say...even those of us who have the oppurtunity to do something with our lives gettin took out over some straight up foolishness. RIP to the three.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 9th, 2007, 5:52 pm

'X' wrote:Teen arrested in N.J. schoolyard deaths
By JEFFREY GOLD, Associated Press Writer

NEWARK, N.J. - Police arrested a 15-year-old boy in the killings of three college students in a schoolyard, shootings considered jarring even in a city used to violence, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

The teen was arrested Wednesday night, and an arrest warrant was issued for 31-year-old man, Mayor Cory A. Booker said.

Four friends, ages 18 to 20, were shot while hanging out in a school yard Saturday night. Authorities have said robbery appeared to be the motive.

Three of the victims — Terrance Aeriel, 18, Dashon Harvey, 20; and Iofemi Hightower, 20 — were forced to kneel against a wall and were shot at close range. The fourth, 19-year-old Natasha Aeriel, Terrance Aeriel's sister, survived a wound to her head and is hospitalized.

Authorities were seeking a man named Jose Carranza based on fingerprint and ballistics evidence, Booker said. The teen's name was not released because of his age.

Despite being under sedation for periods, Natasha Aeriel has been providing authorities with information about the shootings, the mayor said.

The killings brought unwanted publicity to the city, which has struggled for years with violent crime. Residents and law enforcement organizations have donated $150,000 to aid the victims' families and to a reward fund.

"This is a defining moment for our city. The crime is not going to define Newark but our response to it," Booker said Thursday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

All four victims were planning to attend Delaware State University this fall. Instead, three were to be buried Saturday in separate services.

A friend of the victims, Samantha Williams, said she was overwhelmed by news of an arrest.

"I can actually stop crying, I can sleep peacefully," said Williams, 18, of Orange.

15 yrs old!! What the hell!!

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » August 9th, 2007, 7:17 pm

you sound surprised.
alot of the murders in philly and south jersey are by the hands of people 18 and younger.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 9th, 2007, 9:25 pm

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:you sound surprised.
alot of the murders in philly and south jersey are by the hands of people 18 and younger.
Not really at the age itself. At the destruction of us as a society in general.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » August 12th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Arrest Warrant Issued for Fourth Suspect in Newark Killings
two of the victims may have been sexually assaulted before they were killed

NEWARK, N.J. —
Authorities have identified a fourth suspect in the execution-style killings of three college students in Newark last weekend, issuing an arrest warrant Saturday for 24-year-old Rodolfo Godinez.

Godinez, a Nicaraguan national who also uses the name Gomez, is considered "a principal player" in the case, Newark Police Director Garry McCarthy told The Star-Ledger of Newark.

Saturday's developments follow a shocking turn in the investigation Friday. On Friday, FOX 5 New York reported that two of the victims may have been sexually assaulted before they were killed by an illegal immigrant with a violent criminal history.

According to FOX 5 New York, a sexual attack may have occurred before Terrance Aeriel, Iofemi Hightower and Dashon Harvey were shot to death, and a fourth victim, 19-year old Natasha Aerial, was critically wounded.

The suspect in the sexual assault, Peruvian national Jose Carranza, is an illegal immigrant previously charged with raping a 5-year-old. Carranza surrendered to Newark Mayor Cory Booker on Thursday and plead not guilty to to three counts of murder and one charge each of attempted murder and robbery in Essex County Superior Court on Friday.

Carrenza, 28, said through a Spanish interpreter that he understood the charges against him.

Authorities charged a third suspect with three counts of felony murder in the killings Friday evening. The suspect was described as a 15-year-old boy by Essex County prosecutors during a late press conference. He pleaded not guilty Thursday and remains in custody, Assistant Essex County Prosecutor Thomas McTigue said Friday. Authorities are seeking to have the boy tried as an adult.

Another 15-year-old male was charged in the case Thursday.

As the investigation moved forward Saturday, family and friends of the victims gathered to bury the dead. Speaking at the funeral of one of the victims at Metropolitan Baptist Church, Newark Mayor Corey Booker pounded a podium near the coffin of Dashon Harvey, 20, and yelled "Enough is enough!"

Harvey's funeral was part of a morning of funerals on Saturday. Services were also held for Terrance Aeriel, 18, at New Hope Baptist Church. A later funeral was expected at the end of the morning Iofemi Hightower, 20, at Grace Temple Baptist Church.

At Ariel's funeral, which drew an overflow crowd, a friend remembered the ordained minister as someone who reached out to help others even as a youngster.

"As I grew up with him, he never changed," said friend Victoria Irving.

"He stayed the same. He always had God on his mind. That's what I loved about him. And he was a great help to me," Irving said.

The friends were shot during an apparent robbery attempt that authorities have called one of the most disturbing killings in Newark in recent memory.

Terrance Aeriel's sister, Natasha Aeriel, was shot in the head but survived and has helped investigators identify a suspect in the case.

The three victims were ordered to kneel in front of a wall before each was shot in the back of the head, authorities have said.

On Thursday, Booker announced the arrest of Carranza and a 15-year-old male who was not identified because of his age. Another 15-year male was arrested Friday night. The young age of the two teens, and Carranza's criminal history and immigration status, has heightened the outrage in the community.

Carranza was indicted by grand juries in New Jersey twice this year — in April on aggravated assault and weapons charges; and in July on 31 counts which included aggravated sexual assault of a child under 13 years old and endangering the welfare of a child he had a duty to supervise.

He was released on $50,000 bail on the assault case, which stemmed from a barroom fight, and $150,000 bail on the sexual assault indictment, which charged that the abuse began in 2003 when the girl was 4 years old and continued to this year.

Essex County Prosecutor Paula T. Dow would not answer questions about how Carranza was released on bail despite his illegal immigration status and charges earlier this year that he raped a 5-year-old, then threatened the child's parents.

"Our focus hasn't been his immigration status," McTigue said.

Prosecutors said they did not immediately recall if Carranza's immigration status was known when he was granted bail on the two indictments, and whether they opposed granting bail.

It is rare for illegal immigrants to be granted bail, especially when charged with serious crimes, said Alan L. Zegas, a noted New Jersey defense lawyer.

"The level of risk of flight increases exponentially when a person is not a citizen of this country and has few, if any, roots here," Zegas said.

State Superior Court Judge Michael R. Casale continued the $1 million bail and ordered that Carranza be held apart from other inmates at the Essex County Jail for his protection.

On Saturday, scores of students from Delaware State University, where Harvey and the Aeriel siblings were students, attended the funerals, as did Gov. Jon S. Corzine and Sen. Robert Menendez.

"As a human being, not just your governor, I am here with a broken heart, a sad heart, a heavy heart," Corzine said at Harvey's funeral. "These children deserved better."

Speaking at Ariel's funeral, Menendez said the tragedy "has reverberated beyond our city, beyond our state, and across the nation."

All four shooting victims were Newark residents. Hightower, who was in the process of enrolling at Delaware State for the fall semester, and the Aeriels attended West Side High School, while Harvey graduated from University High.

Authorities do not believe the four victims knew the assailants before encountering them Saturday night. Carranza and the teen are not related, Dow said, but she didn't elaborate on how they knew each other. The teen's name was not released because of his age.

Despite being under sedation for periods of time, Natasha Aeriel was able to help authorities identify the suspects, the mayor said.

Officials said fingerprints on a bottle found at the shooting scene and ballistics evidence tied Carranza to the crime. Carranza and the teen were charged with three counts of first degree murder, one count of attempted murder, and other charges.

Authorities have yet to say what kind of weapon was used in the shootings or who they believe fired the shots.

Blues
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Blues » August 12th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Didn't it was some foreign people......that makes situation

worse that they got killed by some foreigners in their own

backyard damn......... :x

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » August 12th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Its amazing how society has changed, they better things seem to get, the worse they really are. Makes you think what it will be like 10yrs from now.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » August 12th, 2007, 9:24 pm

'X' wrote:Arrest Warrant Issued for Fourth Suspect in Newark Killings

NEWARK, N.J. —
Authorities have identified a fourth suspect in the execution-style killings of three college students in Newark last weekend, issuing an arrest warrant Saturday for 24-year-old Rodolfo Godinez.

Godinez, a Nicaraguan national who also uses the name Gomez, is considered "a principal player" in the case, Newark Police Director Garry McCarthy told The Star-Ledger of Newark.

Saturday's developments follow a shocking turn in the investigation Friday. On Friday, FOX 5 New York reported that two of the victims may have been sexually assaulted before they were killed by an illegal immigrant with a violent criminal history.
Amazing. I dont think it was the girls either...

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 13th, 2007, 2:15 pm

LcBwC wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
Its amazing how society has changed, they better things seem to get, the worse they really are. Makes you think what it will be like 10yrs from now.
And you really have to wonder how much worse can it possibly get? Scary thought.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 13th, 2007, 2:21 pm

LcBwC wrote:
'X' wrote:Arrest Warrant Issued for Fourth Suspect in Newark Killings

NEWARK, N.J. —

Amazing. I dont think it was the girls either...
I dont think it was either. What happened to this person as a child to fuck him up so bad and turn him into this? Some serious abuse

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » August 13th, 2007, 4:51 pm

^^^Its no telling. Ive said it before..you never know what going thru a persons mind or the path they have been down.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » August 13th, 2007, 9:33 pm

why wud u kill someone who ain done shit to u , jst because u been thru things? since u been thru horrible things u shud understand how it feels n u shudnt make others feel that horrible feelings

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 13th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Mcminister wrote:why wud u kill someone who ain done shit to u , jst because u been thru things? since u been thru horrible things u shud understand how it feels n u shudnt make others feel that horrible feelings
real talk

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 13th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Mcminister wrote:why wud u kill someone who ain done shit to u , jst because u been thru things? since u been thru horrible things u shud understand how it feels n u shudnt make others feel that horrible feelings
Trust me, I am not making excuses for dude. But some people dont have the mental or spiritual strength to make it through that horrible shit and their minds arent right. They have no remorse or conscience. They are not capable of it.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 13th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Trust me, I am not making excuses for dude. But some people don't have the mental or spiritual strength to make it through that horrible shit and their minds arent right. They have no remorse or conscience. They are not capable of it.
Ethics and morals go beyond "feeling" right or wrong. I could walk around throwing rocks at cars and houses at night and kicking random people in the nuts running off and "feel" nothing, but I would "know" it was wrong. People need to stop using emotions or the lack of emotions as an excuse to harm other human beings. I'm not talking about the mentally disabled or anyone with serious physically detectable mental damage and abuse, but for otherwise functional abused people, they cast an even more negative light on all the other outcasts and victims of society by doing sh*t like this.

By the way, why did this even come up, did they say anything about this in the defense or was it just a guess?

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » August 14th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Thats the thing...people who have experienced extreme trauma cannot distinguish between that type or morality, right/wrong etc.

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » September 13th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Yep a tragedy indeed, but I don't remember hearing anything about this dude being mentally unstable or come from an abusive background. That is still no excuse, I blame the courts for this because he should have never been let out on bail in the first dam place, but we know that the system will never admit when they have f***d up they will always say that they were not aware of a person's status at the time a crime was committed. We all know that that is bull. Man these kids are getting younger and younger by the minute who are participating in violent crimes. I feel bad for them because of the role models that some of these youth have. I pray that God give these families the strength to carry on. Violence don't have a certain type of person that it chooses to strike, we are all at risk to become a victim of crime and violence, because that is the type of world that we live in. :cry: :( :cry: :!: :!: :!:

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » September 13th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Yep a tragedy indeed, but I don't remember hearing anything about this dude being mentally unstable or come from an abusive background. That is still no excuse, I blame the courts for this because he should have never been let out on bail in the first dam place, but we know that the system will never admit when they have f***d up they will always say that they were not aware of a person's status at the time a crime was committed. We all know that that is bull. Man these kids are getting younger and younger by the minute who are participating in violent crimes. I feel bad for them because of the role models that some of these youth have. I pray that God give these families the strength to carry on. Violence don't have a certain type of person that it chooses to strike, we are all at risk to become a victim of crime and violence, because that is the type of world that we live in. :cry: :( :cry: :!: :!: :!:

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » September 13th, 2007, 2:11 pm

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » September 13th, 2007, 2:19 pm

abc543@
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by abc543@ » February 11th, 2008, 2:08 am

DAMN THATS TOO MUCH HATE IN THIS WORLD

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » February 16th, 2008, 4:55 pm

what happend to the girl who made it to the hospital did she make it

thebasher
Middle Weight