Homies figures, LA Public High School Teacher Says:

There has been an increase in gang and youth groups in many Western European cities that have seen an influx of immigrants. There is also a significant organized crime coming from Eastern Europe In this section discuss Austria [Österreich], Denmark [ Danmark], England, France [FRANSS], Finland, Germany [Deutschland], Greece [Ελληνική, Elliniki], Ireland, Italy [italiana], Netherlands [Nederland], Norway [Norge], Rossiyskaya], Scotland, Spain [España] Sweden [Sverige] and the UK including any place on the Western European continent.
Forum rules
Discuss anything about Western European street gangs and organized crime.
ms. soles

Homies figures, LA Public High School Teacher Says:

Unread post by ms. soles » August 28th, 2004, 1:10 am

I have been interested in Homies since a first discovered them about a year ago. I have also been a frequent browser of streetgangs.com.
My first impression of the Homies is that they are what they were created
to be: art.

If Homies and gang representation overlap perhaps it is because where there are high poverty rates, there are gangs. If the
homies were created out of representation of actual people who perhaps live/lived in poverty stricken areas, then it would make sense that the physical presentation styles, i.e. clothing, could be similar to that of people in gangs. If your friend on your block has clothing you like, even though he is in a gang and you aren't, you just might want to look like him, regardless of gangs. In addition, if a terrorist is assumed to wear a certain type of clothing, just because you wear the same clothing doesn't mean you are a terrorist. Maybe that clothing is a part of your religion, your community, your culture.

Anyway, are gangs bad? Are terrorists bad? What are their motives? Can gangs and terrorists even be compared anyway?

I am not here to preach that gangs are bad. Stereotypes are bad. Racism is bad. Hate is bad.

FILA
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Los Angeles Public High School Teacher Says:

Unread post by FILA » March 15th, 2005, 7:28 pm

To polietly resopond to your post, homies are just an extremely intelligent marketing decision made by a corprate company in order to increase profit margins. The company did not need to drive round the hoods and take pictures of what people were dressin in to create these characters. All they had to do was turn on the tv and find out what MTV was tellin the kids to emulate at that time.....thats why there sold in 50 cent machines in grocery stores in the suberbs. And to your hate/rascism is bad message yes your right but as a teacher you should see more than anyone else the intolerance/ignorance shown by the students in school which is the problem that leads to rascism/hate (I.E. rascism/hate is only a symptom). Gangs have always been around and will continue to be around for positive and negative results, terrorists cant even be compared due to the fact that terrorists fight for a reason and gangs fight for survival. So to answer your retorical question no gangs and terrorists are not the same at all.

snowy

Unread post by snowy » March 16th, 2005, 10:35 am

First of all homies was created by a single artist based on real people from his town, second both gangs and terrorists wear clothing that represents them, aka flamed out or marchin all in black to show their solidarity, finally fighting for a cause can be the same as fighting for survival, in many cases throughout the world you either put up or shut up and if you shut up your gonna get the shaft.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 16th, 2005, 12:22 pm

well I think the point is that gangs tend to fight other gangs for the most part. Terrorists tend to target innocent people because they don't have the abitlilty to fight a country head on. Completely different. It would be like if I had beef with your hood, and I purposely tried to avoid you and your homies. But I went to your little brothers or sisters, or sons and daughters school and blew up their school bus with them in it. Or maybe firebombed your grandmas house, or put a bomb in the ice cream truck to get your kids. that type of shit isn't tolerated by your average gangster.