Irish in the Italian mafia..

There has been an increase in gang and youth groups in many Western European cities that have seen an influx of immigrants. There is also a significant organized crime coming from Eastern Europe In this section discuss Austria [Österreich], Denmark [ Danmark], England, France [FRANSS], Finland, Germany [Deutschland], Greece [Ελληνική, Elliniki], Ireland, Italy [italiana], Netherlands [Nederland], Norway [Norge], Rossiyskaya], Scotland, Spain [España] Sweden [Sverige] and the UK including any place on the Western European continent.
Forum rules
Discuss anything about Western European street gangs and organized crime.
Anonymous20

Irish in the Italian mafia..

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 25th, 2005, 7:54 am

yeah, i just watched GOODFELLAS and both jimmy and henry (deniro and liotta) were Irish but in the italian mafia..
whats up with that? hehe.. i thought the mafia (italian-sicilian mafia) was pure sicilian?..
and why Irish especially? is it something special between italians and irish?

peace

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Irish in the Italian mafia..

Unread post by NW10 » March 25th, 2005, 8:05 am

Henry Hills mother was sicilian and his father was Irish, thats why henry could never become made man cos he wasnt completely italian. Jimmy Conway was mixed too but im not sure whether he was irish-italian too or sumthin else

they both worked with the italians so conway must have been half italian aswell but they were never made guys cos they werent 100% italian
hope this helps

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 25th, 2005, 8:59 am

ah ok.. so u cant be 100 % irish in the mafia?

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » March 25th, 2005, 9:19 am

nope. you gotta be 100% italian, so the movie implies

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 25th, 2005, 11:09 am

nah everybody isnt 100 % italian .. theres people who's just part italian whos been in the mafia... but ive never heard of someone who aint related to italy whatsoever in the mafia.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » March 25th, 2005, 11:48 am

TheWatcher wrote:nah everybody isnt 100 % italian .. theres people who's just part italian whos been in the mafia... but ive never heard of someone who aint related to italy whatsoever in the mafia.
i didnt say they had to be 100% italian. That is what the film implied

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 25th, 2005, 12:35 pm

No, to be made your father has to be Italian. The rule was officially changed because of the lack of 100% and also because Junior Gotti is not 100%.

DeaD-SouL
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DeaD-SouL » March 25th, 2005, 12:48 pm

BendyThumbs wrote:No, to be made your father has to be Italian. The rule was officially changed because of the lack of 100% and also because Junior Gotti is not 100%.
what he said..

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 25th, 2005, 1:05 pm

ah ok thank you..
what is junior gotti then? half italian - half what?

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 26th, 2005, 12:34 pm

The wife is some sort of Eastern European, and although she isn't a practicing Jew, she is on, i believe? Don't quote me on that, i am not 100% sure, but i am pretty sure.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 26th, 2005, 12:45 pm

im pretty sure most Irish in Italian families consider themselves Italian to some extent but then you have on the other hand the Irish Mafia which has gone to war with the Jewish Mafia and Italian Mafia

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » March 26th, 2005, 1:49 pm

There are no members of Irish Descent in the Mob. Before you are made, they trace your Roots all the way back to the Begining, any trace of any Irish Blood you can not be made. Its been that way for 80 Years now. There very loyal to the Roots.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 26th, 2005, 9:46 pm

You can still be made if you have Irish blood in the American mob. There are a handful of guys, your father just has to be Italian. Also Irish associates conduct business like the Italians and if good enough are pretty well deemed just as high as a made man (Burke, Boyle).

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 27th, 2005, 8:58 am

what if your mother is black and your father is sicilian?

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 27th, 2005, 10:46 am

I think you found an exception. I can not think of a current made member that has a black or latino mother. Good point, i never thought of that. But knowing the mob guys you would probably have to be white.

paulie

Unread post by paulie » March 27th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Dont believe eveything u see in the movies. Yes in new york you have to be 100 %italian. But in other places such as chicago ther are members that r irish and jewish as well. The mob now a days is not all about "wacking" out people, it is almost mainly about money.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 27th, 2005, 6:34 pm

New York is father like i said and most other areas are still 100%. Chicago has associates that are other stuff, but you still have to be Italian to be made. Same everywhere.

paulie

Unread post by paulie » March 27th, 2005, 7:02 pm

There r people rite now who were made who wernt italian. There even high ranking. Obviously u ve seen too many movies too understand or u dont really know much about the underworld

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 27th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Paule there is no one in ANY of the 26 families who has been MADE who is not Italian. There are associates, but there are NO made members. Don't go telling me i don't know anything, when you are obviously so far in left field even about your basic knowledge.

If you still don't believe me then feel free to do some research and tell me someones name who isn't. I guartnee you can't.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 27th, 2005, 8:36 pm

its tru paulie u need to be italian to be made, u can be a button man and be a jew or an irishman but to be made its italian or nuthin

MeyerLansky
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MeyerLansky » March 29th, 2005, 10:02 am

lol, Paulie, I'd like to see some names...I've studied La Cosa Nostra for a coupla years, and like BendyThumbs, I've NEVER heard about anyone in any of the families who's made, and is not Italian(have an Italian father at least)

I think you got it a little mixed up, you're probably mixing ASSOCIATES with MADE MEMBERS. Associates can be all races, but in order to be a made man, in order to get your button, you need to have at least an Italian father.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » March 29th, 2005, 10:56 am

I'm sorry to say this but I do believe that Paulie is correct. I'm not 100% certain and can't name any names but I think he may be right. The Outfit in Chicago is the only place it would be true. I'll try and find some names out. This topic has been discussed before on the RealDeal Forum of the Mafia International page. This is probably the most informative mafia discussion forum on the web. They don't put up with any BS and there are a lot of older guys on there who have been around the life and have a lot of info to share. I don't think it is very common but Chicago does do things a little differently than the East Coast. If I am able to confirm or dehy it I will pass on the info.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 29th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Chicago does have a large amount of associates that are of different races, jewish, irish and even chinese, but trust me they are not made. Chicago does however is more likely to treat them as equals (ie Lenny Patrick rose to the tops), but they are not made.

I am on the Real Deal and can tell you that you are on the right track with Chicago, but they are not made, just associates.

MeyerLansky
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MeyerLansky » March 30th, 2005, 10:30 am

What he said. People got Associates and made members mixed up.

DeaD-SouL
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DeaD-SouL » March 30th, 2005, 6:03 pm

how many times do they have to tell you... you have to be sicilian to be made

MeyerLansky
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MeyerLansky » March 31st, 2005, 4:43 am

Well, not exactly Sicilian either. (sorry for being a little picky but just to set it straight, no offence meant). John Gotti was a Neapolitian if I'm right, I think it's Italian, and not sicilian heritage, who's the main criteria.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 31st, 2005, 6:01 am

In Italy, it is Sicilian and then the other groups have their own, but in North America you can be Sicilian, Calabrian, Neapolitian - as long as you're Italian

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » March 31st, 2005, 8:05 pm

it doesnt matter where you are from in Italy, you could be from northern Italy and still be in the mafia. Only full blooded Itals can become made, but you can still be in the mafia if you are half Irish just not a made man.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » April 1st, 2005, 6:21 am

No, in Italian there families there are in areas where there is only that type of people and that is what you are made into.

And you can be "part" of the mafia, but you will never be made and therefore never have full rights (can't represent yourself at a sitdown etc.)

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » April 1st, 2005, 9:56 pm

Bendy, there are Northen Italian mafia as well. Its a well known fact that the mafia is everywhere, not just the south.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » April 1st, 2005, 11:09 pm

I know there are. I was making a point about wherever you are from there will be different kinds of Italians and that is the family you stick to in Italy. There are more Sicilian orientated families and more Calabrian...you stick with your people. As an example look up NDrangheta and you will see that there is different types of families and mafias in Italy. Canada even has a NDrangheta family.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » April 1st, 2005, 11:10 pm

isnt it calabrese not calabrian? im pretty sure not tryin to be an ass