Texas Gangs (Prevention)

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Texas Gangs (Prevention)

Unread post by Common Sense » August 22nd, 2006, 11:24 pm

Texas has the most active execution schedule in the United States. This state is puttin' in massive work relentlessly and non stop. Two to four condemed inmates are put down every month without fail.

Why would anyone be trippin' over set's and turf living in Texas? At least in California you would live for an average of 20 years. Texas you may live for about 9-10 years if your lucky.

Texas gang members......don't think for one minute it won't happen to you, because it will. Don't catch a murder case in Texas, b/c if you do, you arse is theirs.

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff

Unread post by Aquafresh » August 23rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

Co-sign :wink:

If you a SMART street cat, then this exact circumstance is a love/hate relationship.

You'll love it, 'cause it'll keep you on your toes, you'll evaluate a "situation" several times BEFORE you "act" upon it, & it makes you STUDY the LAW 8)

You'll hate it, 'cause if you get caught, that's yo' ass :lol:

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 23rd, 2006, 3:27 pm

I was reading this guy's (Kenneth Foster) case history and appeals from friends and relatives trying to save his life. It looks like Texas is going to execute him just for being there. This young man could die just because he was hanging out with some idiots.

From his web page:
On August 15, 1996, Kenneth was arrested with three others for an alleged participation in a robbery/slaying of a young man. On May 5, 1997, Kenneth was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to die by lethal injection. EVIDENCE SHOWS that Kenneth's guilt mainly came down to just being at the scene of the crime, for he was not the shooter. The actual shooter plead a case of self-defense.
http://www.ccadp.org/kennethfoster.htm

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 9:20 am

Texas is knocking on this man's front door. If he doesn't get a miracle, his life is over tonight. They don't say what gang he's from except that he's from Smith county, and he's from a violent gang. Maybe there not trying to give the gang publicity or they label every black and hispanic males as gang members.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 9:21 am

His name is Justin Fuller.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Re: Texas Gangs (Prevention)

Unread post by Sentenza » August 24th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Common Sense wrote:Texas has the most active execution schedule in the United States. This state is puttin' in massive work relentlessly and non stop. Two to four condemed inmates are put down every month without fail.

Why would anyone be trippin' over set's and turf living in Texas? At least in California you would live for an average of 20 years. Texas you may live for about 9-10 years if your lucky.

Texas gang members......don't think for one minute it won't happen to you, because it will. Don't catch a murder case in Texas, b/c if you do, you arse is theirs.
But, did the death sentence reduce crime rate in Texas? I highly doubt it. They are following a superstition by believing in that.
But, to not go off topic, joining a gang is something like a death sentence aswell.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 2:54 pm

I don't know if the death penalty reduced crime or not, but when I visited Texas for about three months, I was amazed how well run the Texas was in comparison to other states. It seemed like a very good place to live, and you got value for your money.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » August 24th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Common Sense wrote:I don't know if the death penalty reduced crime or not, but when I visited Texas for about three months, I was amazed how well run the Texas was in comparison to other states. It seemed like a very good place to live, and you got value for your money.
Well i have been around Houston once, but i dont have too much comparison.
Anyways, didnt want to get off topic, but this issue can get me heated.
But to get the connection back to topic. That high execution rate didnt prevent bloods and crips from migrating to Texas. Or people setting up shop in the name of them.
I think prevention calls for many more actions apart from the death penalty.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Sentenza wrote:I think prevention calls for many more actions apart from the death penalty.
Agreed.
Texas has basically set up execution every week in the month of August, all alledged gang members. One guys is getting put to death tonight, and another man (alledged gang member from Galveston), is being killed on the Aug 31. His accomplice was killed 2 weeks ago. It's erie how young these guys are. Texas is already filling up their September slots.

There needs to be major preventative work in Texas.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » August 24th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Sentenza wrote:I think prevention calls for many more actions apart from the death penalty.
Agreed.
Texas has basically set up execution every week in the month of August, all alledged gang members. One guys is getting put to death tonight, and another man (alledged gang member from Galveston), is being killed on the Aug 31. His accomplice was killed 2 weeks ago. It's erie how young these guys are. Texas is already filling up their September slots.

There needs to be major preventative work in Texas.
Ill open a thread about the death penalty in the "Get Political" section.
I know its a controversial issue, but i challenge you. :lol: :wink:

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Common Sense wrote:His name is Justin Fuller.
He didn't make it. Black man 28 years young....Gone in 8 minutes. There is no documentation publicly about his alledge gang affiliation, it's probably bogus, and used to add to the hype.

What a terrible thing.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » August 24th, 2006, 7:27 pm

And the same people that are always there protesting executions were there again tonight, I'm sure. All two of them. The only time people ever get excited about the death penalty is when the media gets involved.

I took a tour of the death chamber that he died in. Creepy stuff.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 24th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Anesis: Are you a school teacher? If so, what grade level.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » August 26th, 2006, 8:57 am

Common Sense wrote:Anesis: Are you a school teacher? If so, what grade level.
I teach 9th/12th grade English at an alternative campus, but most of my students are 16 years or older. Many are drop-outs coming back to school, single parents, students with criminal histories, or just have failed in the traditional school setting. Most people think that this is a "bad" school, but it isn't. I think of it as a school for people who want to correct their mistakes. I find that most of the people at my school are more mature and focused than students in a traditional high school.

We only have 142 students in the entire school, and class sizes are small. My largest class is 16 students and my smallest is 8 students. They have to interview to be there and we get to choose who comes and who doesn't. We also interview their parents, if around. If a student isn't working out, we will send him/her back to their home campus. We only have 13 teachers - we don't have the time to deal with discipline. 1st offense, you get sent home. 2nd offense, you get sent back to their home campus.

We keep small class sizes and focus on building relationships with the students. If we are talking about prevention, this is really the way to go.

The way I see it, I can't help anyone who isn't ready to get help. But this school is there for those who are ready to change their lives.

I am SO proud of my school, my students, and everything that is happening there. I know it sounds really cheesy and trite, but it's the truth. I think that if ALL schools were like this, small class sizes and teachers who really cared, then there would far less problems in and out of school.

SWblocks-Veteran
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Houston

Unread post by SWblocks-Veteran » August 26th, 2006, 3:36 pm

depends on what type of kill it is, I got plenty homeboys who caught murder rpas and none of them got anything close to a punishment that bad...actually two of them were sentenced when I was about 15 and one got out when I was 21 and the other one got out about a year ago

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Anesis wrote:I am SO proud of my school, my students, and everything that is happening there. I know it sounds really cheesy and trite, but it's the truth. I think that if ALL schools were like this, small class sizes and teachers who really cared, then there would far less problems in and out of school.
Texas has a really good reputation for it's educational programs. Maybe California can adopt the same or similar programs. Right now, the Los Angeles Mayor is trying to take over Los Angeles Unified School District. He's getting lot's of opposition for it. I guess he feels he can do a better job than the school board.

Are you students especially the one's with criminal histories or gang members, aware of Texas execution rate compared with the rest of the U.S.?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 12:29 pm

SWblocks-Veteran wrote:depends on what type of kill it is, I got plenty homeboys who caught murder rpas and none of them got anything close to a punishment that bad...actually two of them were sentenced when I was about 15 and one got out when I was 21 and the other one got out about a year ago
To get the death penalty, a prisnoner must fall under a certain guidelines. Here are Texas guidlines:

Texas procedure (in generally).

In Texas, the district courts have original jurisdiction for all criminal felony cases. If an individual is convicted of a capital felony, he or she may be subject to punishment by death, if the State sought such punishment.

A capital felony is one in which an individual "intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual," under special circumstances.

In particular, the:
murder of a public safety officer, firefighter, or correctional employee;
murder during the commission of specified felonies (kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated rape, arson);
murder for remuneration; multiple murders;
murder during prison escape; murder of a correctional officer;
murder by a state prison inmate who is serving a life sentence for any of five offenses;
murder of an individual under six years of age.

In Texas, a person must be of at least 17 years of age at the time of the crime to have the death penalty imposed upon him or her.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » August 28th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Common Sense wrote: Texas has a really good reputation for it's educational programs. Maybe California can adopt the same or similar programs. Right now, the Los Angeles Mayor is trying to take over Los Angeles Unified School District. He's getting lot's of opposition for it. I guess he feels he can do a better job than the school board.

Are you students especially the one's with criminal histories or gang members, aware of Texas execution rate compared with the rest of the U.S.?
I wouldn't say that Texas has the best educational programs, but I think it's better than what I have seen in CA. Most people think that because they graduated from high school or college that they are experts on curriculum and how people learn. I think that in most schools, there are huge cover ups happening. Most schools aren't about education - they are about money. Texas is no exception. It's just that we have had to deal with No Child Left Behind longer than the rest of the country.

I have talked with students a little bit about death row, because I went to college in Huntsville, TX, where they execute all of the prisoners. I also have a book that I bring to school that lists the death row inmates since the reinstatement in 1976 all the way up to Gary Graham, the Black Panther who was convicted for murdering a police office. We talk about the level of education that most of the convicts have, and then we also talk about the ethnicity of the convicts. I usually don't even to bring up the race card. I do, however, have to point out to them the highest grade level completed. We also talk about there were only two women executed from 1976 up until 2000 (I think that's the date).

Most of them are already painfully aware of the race situation. But, most of them view the world as predestined place, one in which they havbe no control over the outcomes.

"Que sera, sera", right? I try to show them how they do have control in thei lives, and even if they have little control in certain situations, they can still change the outcome with their actions (or inactions).

We have about twenty minutes of the day set aside to talk about issues like this, but before we can actually start having real conversations, I have to build trust with the students first.

It takes time, but I have the best job in the whole world. I just feel so fortunate to have found my calling this early.

That's why I come here - so I at least know what they are talking about. Today, I was able to compare the bards of Anglo-Saxon times to the rappers of today. My students kept thinking that because the bards spouted "poetry" that they were weak.

Sorry. I tend to wander, especially when talking about my job.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Anesis wrote:Most people think that because they graduated from high school or college that they are experts on curriculum and how people learn .
Agreed. People do learn differently. The same goes for me.
Anesis wrote:I think that in most schools, there are huge cover ups happening. Most schools aren't about education - they are about money. Texas is no exception. It's just that we have had to deal with No Child Left Behind longer than the rest of the country.
School districts are a business. They do have to make a profit????? I guess. Well at least private schools. I've worked for a private school in administration and I couldn't believe the greed. It was all about getting paid at the expense of the poor students.

Anesis wrote:We talk about the level of education that most of the convicts have, and then we also talk about the ethnicity of the convicts. I usually don't even to bring up the race card.
I heard that the State of Texas set it's bed count construction on death row, based on the number of individuals with a 3rd grade or below education level. I'm not sure how the state would get or have this information, but that's what I heard recently.

Anesis wrote:Most of them are already painfully aware of the race situation. But, most of them view the world as predestined place, one in which they havbe no control over the outcomes.
Looking at whoose on the row right now, there seems to be a mixed ethnic group of individuals, even though the last two people killed were black.
Anesis wrote:"Que sera, sera", right? I try to show them how they do have control in thei lives, and even if they have little control in certain situations, they can still change the outcome with their actions (or inactions).
That's good.
Anesis wrote:We have about twenty minutes of the day set aside to talk about issues like this, but before we can actually start having real conversations, I have to build trust with the students first.
It's probably more individual time than some of them get at home.
Anesis wrote:It takes time, but I have the best job in the whole world. I just feel so fortunate to have found my calling this early.
Teaching is the best job and one of the most important jobs in the world. I only wish that instructers were really paid their worth.
Anesis wrote:That's why I come here - so I at least know what they are talking about .
This is a very good site to learn. i've learned alot hanging around here, maybe that's why I'm still here.
Anesis wrote:Sorry. I tend to wander, especially when talking about my job.
that's okay.....wonder at will

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » August 29th, 2006, 5:26 pm

Common Sense wrote: School districts are a business. They do have to make a profit????? I guess. Well at least private schools. I've worked for a private school in administration and I couldn't believe the greed. It was all about getting paid at the expense of the poor students.
The school district gets money for the kids in school, which is why many districts refuse to kick a student out of school. I got BIT on the neck by a high school student and my district refused to even press charges against him. A warm desk means money, even if that warm desk is a class disruption or a threat to the learning environment.

They get money for the number of kdis that pass the minimun standards test. They get money for all the poor kids. They get money for new teachers they hire. The list goes on and on.
Looking at whoose on the row right now, there seems to be a mixed ethnic group of individuals, even though the last two people killed were black.
That's good. Are you looking at list of people on death row or the people that have been executed. I wonder if there is a discrepancy between the two lists.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 29th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Anesis wrote:Are you looking at list of people on death row or the people that have been executed. I wonder if there is a discrepancy between the two lists.
The inmate (white male) scheduled for tomorrow August 30, 2006, was granted a stay of execution. I don't know the details behind it. The three blacks and i latino wasn't so lucky.

I have a weird feeling these inmates below are going to be executed.

sept 12 black male
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... tchett.jpg

sep 25 hispanic male
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... t/sosa.jpg

oct 19 white male

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... hnsonm.jpg

nov 1 black male
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... cksndo.jpg

nov 8 black male
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... hannon.jpg

Stat's like this would be a real gang deterrant for me if I lived in Texas, especially if I was forced to watch one. Maybe that's what they should start doing, make some of these salvagable offender watch an execution. It sounds terrible, but it may have an impact. Anything and everything should be used to save our young people.

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » November 3rd, 2006, 11:20 am

Texas does have a high execution rate but that don't deter folks from being in gangs. Texas school district are not all that good. Here in Dallas the district is dealing with a lot of corruption and scandle, teachers, principals and other staff members using school money for personal use. We have teachers that don't care one way or the other if you pass or fail just as long as they get their check on the 15th of each month.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » November 6th, 2006, 10:11 am

Common Sense wrote:oct 19 white male[/b]
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/ ... hnsonm.jpg
This guy lost it and committed suicide. Maybe it's better to go by your own hand, than letting the State choose your death day??????

At least there is no circus side show?