The Cannabis Debate

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

The Cannabis Debate

Unread post by Noog » April 23rd, 2004, 8:49 am

Here's a new thread - Cannabis - love it or loath it - legal or illegal - safe or dangerous - medicinal or useless - causes mental illness or mental benefits. You know the score, but I want to hear more....

Help me to break this one down

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: The Cannabis Debate

Unread post by wcrockets » April 23rd, 2004, 9:11 am

Nobody I hang with uses it. I don't know any real tough guys that use it except in the old days some heads up steroid eating mofos. And they didn't use it everyday. In my opinion, it robs people of their energy/drive and mental focus while giving them false senses that it's not.

Most of the people that talk about all their accomplishments and how smoking weed everyday has helped them in so many ways are under the influence.. lol. I've heard them out but then talked to other family members and well what do you know I'm getting the opposite story. How so and so missed this opportunity, didn't grow beyond a certain point, missed out things because they were so busy chasing the weed, etc.. etc..

Maybe there are a few exceptions out there but as a rule the weed wizard who spends his time and energies obtaining and puffing is not getting farther in life or reaching their potential faster even though the drug somehow makes them think that they are in my experience.

I messed with it in high school and it was fun for a couple years but a big waste of time and I had to move on. Haven't touched it since and haven't missed it. That's my experience. Peace.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » April 23rd, 2004, 11:16 am

man just legalize it. not that i think the hard-headed us government ever will, but im talkin about up here, legaliiize it. weed is smoken just like cigs up here, aint nothing big about it and it doesn't retard anybody or fuck your brain, unless again you abuse of it but i guess thats with everything in life. so im saying legalize it, but even if they dont, i aint scared. where im at most cops dont really give a shit if you pass in front of them smellin the greenery a lot. plus, its better than getting drunk with no hangovers for those that get high for partis n shit. most people i know havent ever had problems with smoking weed at school and are now most in college still smokin from time to time. hahaha also, the weed up here is real good quality (ex: the local variety won the cannibus cup in 2000; Quebec Gold http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1886.html ) so i really dont see why they should still be arresting people for that shit over here from time to time just to show the law still exists. if you think its coz of weed people become dumb, id rather think its coz they dont really give a f about education in the first place. this isnt about whos bad n this n that n who uses weed either. on the whole, weed can be real useful, wether medicinal or just relaxing or any other type of shit fitting your needs.

Loyalheart
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Loyalheart » April 23rd, 2004, 11:36 am

myself i can't be bothered with the stuff, alot of my friends smoke and just wanna stay in and get stoned, not my idea of a fun night.Here in the uk it's been put down to a class c drug(same catergory as steroids,and tamazepam).also if they finally legalized it over here it would be good,better to walk into a pub full of stoners,than full of steamers looking to glass you.But as far as legalizen it in the us,you've no chance your gov to bloody full of it.

NO SURRENDER

ElGuero
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ElGuero » May 4th, 2004, 11:33 pm

I'm for legalizing it for medical purposes.......and I'm all for hemp textiles and paper......

As a recreational drug.....its a personal choice....but in places where drugs are legal, or semilegal at least, the usage goes down because the thrill is no longer there......

I think supporting responsible drug use is a lot more realistic than preaching the "evils" of drugs.....the same with sex, safe sex programs work a lot better than abstinence programs!

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 5th, 2004, 2:50 am

Lordy Lordy! Well, whay can I say...Personally I love to blaze herbs, indeedy! I've blazed since I was a kid and I'll blaze more yet. I enjoy. I have always had a job, always paid my bills, always taken my responsibilities, had time to fight as a kid, fell good now...

HaycH
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HaycH » May 5th, 2004, 4:54 am

Ah this topic! To much to write
All i can say is its not for everybody
Everyone reacts differently to chemicals so if you had a bad exp stop writing pages and pages of it and telling everyone how bad it is.

Most people can handle it, it has little side effects compared to some legal medicines that are way dangerous. Ovbiously things such as ciggies are way more dangerous yet its seen to be normal cause its legal. Most people see weed as Heroin because of the media. All they show on tv is these fucked up commericals how guys kill each other because of weed. Why not meth, H, crack commercials? Thing is if weed was legal everyone would just grow and the government cant make any money of it.

I had a link that showed the most accurate research on cannabis. Reading those stupid assed sites that tells you myth stories isnt going to make you smart.

Please lets keep this thread 100% free of ignorant people that dont know jack from adam. You can be successful and still smoke daily, as i know tons of people. At the end of the day it all comes down to who you are.
Its all about moderation!!

The media and government has has everyones mind re-programmed these days. It is legal and in Amsterdam(sp) and we dont see the whole place sitting at home smoking all day do we? As some of you picture everyone that smokes the chronic.

I rather smoke the chronic then be put on prozaz any day!! That shit has to be taken off tge market.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 5th, 2004, 9:47 am

That is correct.

Cannabis has been demonised over the last century and still gets all the negative propaganda that governments can throw at it.

I am not deluded. I appreciate that there is a subset of people who unravel if they are exposed to cannabis. Its like those particular peeps have a switch which is ready to be switched and cannabis acts as the trigger. My own view is that those folks have a predisposal to mental illness, that they have a latent illness which cannabis triggers and makes manifest. I appreciate that there is a phenomenon of 'cannabis psychosis' - when a person smokes and leaves planet man, like a heavy trip or psychiatric illness. Simply put, people who are vulnerable to mental illness should not smoke cannabis, simple as.

Talking about my kind however and all those folks around the world who enjoy the weed, I hold that the herb is a blessing in my life. I work hard (community activist), make my paper, pay my way, save for a rainy day, blah blah and for me...when I get home after a hard days work I make a brew (a cup of tea - how very British of me) and roll a spliff. I watch the news, take a shower and cook a meal. Now thats delinquent eh?

My view is that a grown up person can smoke and have a very successful life. Since being a kid, I wanted to smoke so I decided that to do so I would take up all of my responsibilities first, tick off my 'to do ' boxes for the day and when all was done - yeah blood, thats the time. And thank the creator for it - a balm - a sweet meditation and a blessing. Peace.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 5th, 2004, 9:47 am

That is correct.

Cannabis has been demonised over the last century and still gets all the negative propaganda that governments can throw at it.

I am not deluded. I appreciate that there is a subset of people who unravel if they are exposed to cannabis. Its like those particular peeps have a switch which is ready to be switched and cannabis acts as the trigger. My own view is that those folks have a predisposal to mental illness, that they have a latent illness which cannabis triggers and makes manifest. I appreciate that there is a phenomenon of 'cannabis psychosis' - when a person smokes and leaves planet man, like a heavy trip or psychiatric illness. Simply put, people who are vulnerable to mental illness should not smoke cannabis, simple as.

Talking about my kind however and all those folks around the world who enjoy the weed, I hold that the herb is a blessing in my life. I work hard (community activist), make my paper, pay my way, save for a rainy day, blah blah and for me...when I get home after a hard days work I make a brew (a cup of tea - how very British of me) and roll a spliff. I watch the news, take a shower and cook a meal. Now thats delinquent eh?

My view is that a grown up person can smoke and have a very successful life. Since being a kid, I wanted to smoke so I decided that to do so I would take up all of my responsibilities first, tick off my 'to do ' boxes for the day and when all was done - yeah blood, thats the time. And thank the creator for it - a balm - a sweet meditation and a blessing. Peace.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 5th, 2004, 9:49 am

That is correct.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 5th, 2004, 9:55 am

DAMN! Must be too stoned, sent my posting three times by mistake!

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 14th, 2004, 4:08 am

Curious.....aint anybody interested in debating the herb? Why is that? Maybe the issue has been resolved in the hearts and minds of the youth who use this site! Well, you in front of me then peeps!

Cummon folks, lets have a debate....I am interested in hearing every arguement, from the aparent dumb to the sulime.... Are you concerned about having this debate? Is it contraversial?

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » May 14th, 2004, 8:46 am

Not at all. I just don't waste my time talking about something that just wastes my time.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 14th, 2004, 8:55 am

Ha Ha - cute reply blad! Fair enough Mr Rockets, you clearly feel the debate is a waste of time, that ganja is a waste of time - well in my view, thats a very valid view too! But, that doesn't mean that others dont have intelligent, insightful, helpful thoughts to share - aint nothing like education, exposition, exploration man. I think that openess and debate are better than sticking yer head in the sand tho. Mr Rockets, your thread is always thoughtful. I see that you havn't got no time for this debate, but maybe others do. We gotta remember that the herb is a ubiquitous comodity in out inner citites and to this day has a following, whether the state or evolved individuals (like Mr Rockets) like it or not.

By the way, I'd catogarise Mr Rockets last thread as on the dumb side, a bit like the 'just say no' nonsense of the eighties! No discussion means ongoing ignorance.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » May 21st, 2004, 11:46 am

Never assume. I was simply making my position clear. By all means go ahead with your discussion.. Peace.

HaycH
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HaycH » May 21st, 2004, 7:33 pm

Nevamind

MOMO

Unread post by MOMO » May 22nd, 2004, 12:32 pm

No one has ever died from using marijuana.

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 22nd, 2004, 12:40 pm

I bet your wrong about that. Im sure somebody in the world has overdosed or wutever and died from it. But im sure as hell positive people have died because other people using weed.

MOMO

Unread post by MOMO » May 22nd, 2004, 12:47 pm

SouLja4LyFe wrote:I bet your wrong about that. Im sure somebody in the world has overdosed or wutever and died from it. But im sure as hell positive people have died because other people using weed.
Overdose?, wouldn't you have to smoke like....8 joints back to back to overdose, you can't die from smoking just one.

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 22nd, 2004, 12:59 pm

ya ud probably have to smoke alot in a short time but u kno, just about everything u can think of, somebody has done at least once lol. Thats wut I always think about suff.

Plus in the topic of if sumone cud die from smokin it, theres always that possibility that u have sum type of problem with ur heart or lungs or wutever and the drug cant be proccessed thru your body rite and u die. Theres a ton of reasons. But Im not positive if someone has ever died from weed or not, But probably in my opinion.

HaycH
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HaycH » May 22nd, 2004, 9:35 pm

You cant overdose on it. Some british fool died not long ago and they blamed it on the chronic cause he used to smoke like 8 joints a day or something. Lol 8 joints will not kill you , you gota smoke like a pound in a day to overdose and that cannot be done.

I dont even get why people debate about this. Hey rockets lets debate about prozac or xanax hey they are legal but they do you good:) take no offence. Those 2 drugs are far worse then mariwana.

MOMO

Unread post by MOMO » May 22nd, 2004, 11:27 pm

Plus, it's not addictive, i got a dub sittin in my closet, and i'm not rushin to smoke it, i'm not fienin' for it, i probaly won't even smoke it until monday.

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 23rd, 2004, 7:13 am

I thnk its a lil bit addictive cuz like im on probation and i wanna sum bud so bad lol. But I aint bout to get locked up again, it aint that much of a addictive feeling. But I do think its addictive a lil if u smoked alot before.

MOMO

Unread post by MOMO » May 27th, 2004, 12:10 pm

Something i found
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No one has ever died of a marijuana overdose
This is true. It was put in to see if you are paying attention. Animal tests have revealed that extremely high doses of cannabinoids are needed to have lethal effect. This has led scientists to conclude that the ratio of the amount of cannabinoids necessary to get a person intoxicated (i.e., stoned) relative to the amount necessary to kill them is 1 to 40,000. In other words, to overdose, you would have to consume 40,000 times as much marijuana as you needed to get stoned. In contrast, the ratio for alcohol varies between 1 to 4 and 1 to 10. It is easy to see how upwards of 5000 people die from alcohol overdoses every year and no one EVER dies of marijuana overdoses.

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 27th, 2004, 1:24 pm

thanks for posting that, its very interesting. I guess I was wrong, which is good lol.

C_Ridah253
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by C_Ridah253 » June 21st, 2004, 10:56 am

I REALLLY DONT THINK U CAN OVER DOSE ON BUD. BUT AS FAR AS ADDICTIVE..IM USUALLY ALWAYS FIENDIN FOR BUD. I DONT SMOKE JUST TO GET HIGH. I SMOKE A LOT OF BUD NON STOP
WAY MORE THAN 8 JOINTS....IVE SMOKED BUD ALMOST ALL DAY LONG. WHEN I SMOKE I SMOKE TO GET F_CCED UP TO THE FULLEST.

GUNJA SMOKIN
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GUNJA SMOKIN » July 19th, 2004, 1:48 pm

4 sho

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 24th, 2004, 5:40 pm

MOMO wrote:No one has ever died from using marijuana.
Not so sure about that:

Marijuana can decrease communicative, body motion, depth perception, and a sense of timing, which is all hazardous when you operate a car or other heavy machinery. Hopefully habitual pot smokers know and when not to drive (like alcohol).

Schizophrenics may tend to have worse symptoms when they smoke pot, which could land a trip back to the hospital on a 72 hour hold.

All drugs not matter what....even over the counter have some form of side effects. It all depends on your body and how it's affected.

attila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: amsterdam

Unread post by attila » July 30th, 2004, 6:03 am

I'm from the Netherlands.
Here the government divides drugs into two segments: softdrugs( weed, hashjis and mushrooms) and harddrugs (everything else).
While harddrugs are forbidden, softdrugs are legal here to a certain extence. As a custumer you can buy up to 5 gram of weed or hasj at a time in a so called coffeeshop. A coffeeshop-owner can keep a couple of ounces in his shop as stack.

The governments idea behind this system is that weed is less harmfull and addictive then harddrugs. They also think that without the coffeshops, people will go back to the street- and housedealers where the changes of being offered harddrugs besides weed are much bigger.

As a result of this system, weed has become socially accepted and is as comman as a beer now, especially for the younger generations.
Holland has 15 million people and ten years ago researchers found that around 800.000 of them smoked weed on a regular basis, a lot of people tought it was even up to a million.
But now it's 2004 and holland has to answer to the European Union, especially about our drugpolicy. So now new studies suddenly found that there are 500.000 regular weedsmokers and compared to the other European countries we now walk in pass and it's like our system works.

Although i think any government should controle the drug use of it's people, the way Holland does it isn't right at all.

I'm 32 years old and live in the centre of a small city of 90.000 inhabitants and we've got 17 coffeeshops in about 400 square meter.
We smoke every day because it's addictive, we've grown it, soled it and so i know a lot of shopowners and have good insight in the way things go.

Besides weed being addictive, it's harmfull and can indeed kill you. Not in the sense of an overdose but in the sense of lung, throat and hart disseases.
First of all with weed you smoke the whole bud of a plant just for the THC in it. There's an awfull lot of tar and stuff in it so in the long run that's gonna be fatal.
Second, and this is the most stupid thing of the system, While it's legal to buy, and sell it in the coffeeshop, you can't grow it!
It's illegal to grow weed.
But it's legal to sell it and buy it.
This creates a the same dangerous situation as we have with the harddrugs. Nowbody knows where the stuff comes from and wurse, nowbody knows the quality.
95% of the weed you buy in our shops comes from criminal organisations. They grow on a big scale in farms and because there is no inspection or something, they use a lot of prohabited pesticites to prevent plaques.
Coffeeshopowners sell it without caring about their product's being poisoned.
That's why i used to grow it myself.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » August 6th, 2004, 7:29 am

Interesting post from Holland.

However, I went on a visit to Amsterdam this spring, just to chill.....and I made a few visits to a number of coffee shops which only sold 'high grade' weed. where they knew their producers and knew all about each growing process. All the weeds sold were organic (bio), and mostly sativa, rather than indica varietires. Their hash was similarly good quality, hand rubbed between fair maidens thighs... well, not quite, but all good. So, my point is, though there are loads of commercial coffee shops sellin' techno weed pumped full of dodgy growth agents, they were always labelled as 'hydro', so any fool could make a choice as to smoke an organic weed or techno weed.

The other bits tho' are right - weeds full of tar and simple as that, keep smokin' and we risk lung cancer, heart disease 'n all the rest o dem diseases which will kill us like any cigarette! And yes, its addictive too.

I recently had a month off the weed. My experience was that I wanted to cut right down, cos I could just blaze too much 'n only ended up with sore eyes! SO I gave it the full 28 days to clear my system. I had one day of insomnia, one day of lost appetite. Then I ate like two gorillas 'n slept for England. I had a week of lucid dreams and my head felt a clear as a new pin. On havin a burn at the end of the month, I laughed like a hyena for hours and had a fantastic night! right now, I'm having small portions occasionally and it suits me fine! Peace

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 4th, 2005, 1:59 pm

Maybe Attila is from Goeningen!!
European Hash Tourism is so silly.Every doper should step aside and see if consuming cannabis is correct.I have not met a spliffer I can guarantee that he is normal.The hole legalize it circuss only affected the now and then drinkers to throw same frases.
Legalize for MEDICAL PURPOSE imediately.

I read about the Heroin problem in Amsterdam (germ.journal Stern)when I was small.Even before(Die?) Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo ,and I am Happy that the Netherlands walked that way now.
Engaging in Legalize it is also o.k. for me ,but expecting into the whole wide world without adressing it ,is not accurate.Better would be writing letters(e-mails)at anyone deciding those purposes.
In fact Hash did cost only 15 Reichsmark/Kg in 1920 ,but the all the sudden it was banned very quick as oil spread out of USA and the law from their ,too.
I remember that Maryhuana(oil,paper,cloth) was banned there in Texas before oil rose up.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 4th, 2005, 3:00 pm

To me, mariguana is a part of American culture nowadays and it should be decriminalized, way too many people still paying a price for simple possession.

Mariguana has become the tool of law-enforcement for selective oppression and abusing people’s rights.

It justifies the drug war in the wrong arena, and it escalates the costs involved in fighting such a war by prosecuting and jailing the wrong citizens/people.

The cultivated perception that smokers are the undesirables and deviants of society is what allows the judiciary and penal system to violate the 4th amendment, which prohibits searches without a warrant, by allowing police to stop a person or vehicle on a pretense & then search it on the slightest suspicion – sort of like an exemption to the Bill of Rights.

And those more likely to be victims are Black, Hispanics, Rastafarians, Dreadheads and the like.

The continual criminalization of mariguana serves to protect certain groups, among them is law enforcement and their jobs, imagine the money saved if it was decriminalized. You would still have a drug war but not the easy escape-goat war on mariguana which is what a huge part of law enforcement time and money is spent on.

If it was legalized, I’m pretty sure that it would cut into some of those powerful pharmaceutical companies, because as a medicinal drug for treating a wide range of ills suffered by addicted-on-pills America, it would surely cut deep into their profits.

Same for all those research labs working with government grants to fill you up with all those downsides to mariguana.

Where is the American concept of the right to pursue happiness? LOL

You cannot blame all smokers (65 million) for the faults to society of a few dope heads.

You can legalize it, yet still make laws governing its use for the workplace, driving, underage, and in public, just like you do with alcohol and tobacco, yet continue to focus on the real threat of drugs.

Plenty of people can use it to naturally relieve the stress of the rat race, plenty of people can use it to relieve their medical problems, and plenty of people can laugh their behinds off while watching a movie if they chose to, where is the evil in that?

If someone messes up their life because of mariguana, I would have a real hard time believing that alone was the cause for their downfall, nothing is that simple in life.

Legalizing it would make people responsible for their use in itself; otherwise they would be accountable under the law to the fullest extent for their misuse of the “natural herb”.

THAT'S MY OPINION, WHAT'S YOURS?