Be careful what you do on myspace and other sites

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

MiChuhSuh

Be careful what you do on myspace and other sites

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 21st, 2007, 12:16 am

I was just thinking about a few years back - there's lots of people I didn't really keep up with, so I started thinking I should hit some of them up and see how they're doing.

Well one of my old homies seemed like he disappeared, so I ask around and sure enough he's locked up again - and now he's an adult so they're not gonna mess just gonna around with him again.

I'm not gonna get specific but basically... he did! On top of catching him, they have all this extra stuff to put on his record of "affiliation" and "mindset" because of all this ridiculously stupid stuff he put on myspace. I mean incredibly specific and self-incriminating stuff. I remember a few years back he said something about a guy "posing" as a police officer hitting him up on myspace warning him beforehand to delete his account because he said otherwise he would have to "use that information against him." And he was just laughing about it, saying he's a fake cop or just a weirdo. Think about that - even a cop was warning him about his "publicity!" I don't to get specific, but the stuff he had on there was enough to fill a good file on him without ever interrogating or searching him.

This doesn't just go for bangers though, even some companies now search myspace, facebook, and google your name and email to check you out before they hire you. I heard about UCLA graduates not getting jobs because the company/firm/trust they applied to saw them acting drunk and stupid on their personal pages. Is it wrong? Sure. But it is what it is - be careful what you do online, the sh*t just might mess you up "offline."

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: F*CK MYSPACE (and other sites)

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » August 21st, 2007, 10:15 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:I was just thinking about a few years back - there's lots of people I didn't really keep up with, so I started thinking I should hit some of them up and see how they're doing.

Well one of my old homies seemed like he disappeared, so I ask around and sure enough he's locked up again - and now he's an adult so they're not gonna mess just gonna around with him again.

I'm not gonna get specific but basically... he did! On top of catching him, they have all this extra stuff to put on his record of "affiliation" and "mindset" because of all this ridiculously stupid stuff he put on myspace. I mean incredibly specific and self-incriminating stuff. I remember a few years back he said something about a guy "posing" as a police officer hitting him up on myspace warning him beforehand to delete his account because he said otherwise he would have to "use that information against him." And he was just laughing about it, saying he's a fake cop or just a weirdo. Think about that - even a cop was warning him about his "publicity!" I don't to get specific, but the stuff he had on there was enough to fill a good file on him without ever interrogating or searching him.

This doesn't just go for bangers though, even some companies now search myspace, facebook, and google your name and email to check you out before they hire you. I heard about UCLA graduates not getting jobs because the company/firm/trust they applied to saw them acting drunk and stupid on their personal pages. Is it wrong? Sure. But it is what it is - be careful what you do online, the sh*t just might mess you up "offline."
This has less to do with myspace and facebook and the sort and more to do with stupid people trying to show the world how stupid they can be and take pictures while doing it. It's the internet, it's 2007. If you're putting incriminating pictures of yourself online, expect EVERYONE to see them.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » August 21st, 2007, 12:17 pm

Truest thing ever spoken. How dumb can one be. Myspace/facebook/etc arent there to tell your life history and life movements. Real dudes/street smart dudes UNDERSTAND.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 21st, 2007, 1:23 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:This has less to do with myspace and facebook and the sort and more to do with stupid people trying to show the world how stupid they can be and take pictures while doing it. It's the internet, it's 2007. If you're putting incriminating pictures of yourself online, expect EVERYONE to see them.
Exactly! (the title was just an attention grabber)

Dreadlocks

Unread post by Dreadlocks » September 24th, 2007, 12:27 am

i agree nigga fuck myspace and fuck anybody who down w/ it...

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » September 24th, 2007, 4:51 am

In London we have a word for doing this kind of foolishness - called Baiting - that by posting up personal and potentially incriminating information to an internet site in the public domain is 'baiting yourself up'. The word can be used in many ways, most often on roads as reference to having a loose mouth. Thats Bait.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » September 24th, 2007, 9:22 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:This has less to do with myspace and facebook and the sort and more to do with stupid people trying to show the world how stupid they can be and take pictures while doing it. It's the internet, it's 2007. If you're putting incriminating pictures of yourself online, expect EVERYONE to see them.
Exactly! (the title was just an attention grabber)
Yeah I understand, it's just when I read it I can hear some whiny kid complaining that "myspace got me arrested" when it's usually the dumb activities of said kid that got him arrested, not some webpage.

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff

Unread post by Aquafresh » September 26th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Dreadlocks wrote:i agree nigga fu-- myspace and fu-- anybody who down w/ it...
:lol: You sound familiar :? You wouldn't happen to be smokin' a blunt right now, would you :?: :!: :lol:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » September 27th, 2007, 6:42 pm

talkin crap on the net can and will bite you in the ass...

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » September 29th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Aquafresh wrote:
Dreadlocks wrote:i agree nigga fu-- myspace and fu-- anybody who down w/ it...
:lol: You sound familiar :? You wouldn't happen to be smokin' a blunt right now, would you :?: :!: :lol:
back in blakk

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”