education as a gang researcher

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: syddanmark

education as a gang researcher

Unread post by iboy » May 5th, 2011, 1:32 pm

is there any education as a gang researcher if the answer is yes then how can you take the education ?
or is there any other educations you can take thats is related to gangs if you can say so?

( not because i wanna take just knowlegde)

PrinceTheReal
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Houston

Re: education as a gang researcher

Unread post by PrinceTheReal » October 9th, 2011, 4:47 pm

iboy wrote:is there any education as a gang researcher if the answer is yes then how can you take the education ?
or is there any other educations you can take thats is related to gangs if you can say so?

( not because i wanna take just knowlegde)
sociology im guessing....but u cant study gangs these days ..the game so watered down and realy everything is random and stupid. ain no cool Laws , rules ,regulations that would interest a listener no more...gangs are just a bunch of teens that do things that they aint ready for these days.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Unread post by MCD » October 12th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I've heard of classes like African American studies so there might be similar courses for other races like Latino or Asian. These classes would probably focus on things relevant to urban life, poverty, ethnic crime rates and likely gangs as well.

Besides that, probably the typical judicial studies like criminal justice maybe? If there are any courses focused only on gangs it would probably be a specialty class at certain colleges where that course would be relevant.

Guys you see talking about gangs like Chris Blatchford got there through journalism, personal research, and speaking with police and former/active gang members.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » November 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I took a criminal justice course at Sacramento City College in the early '90s (merely as an elective, no goals of going into law enforcement), and the professor spent about a month on La Eme and Nuestra Familia, and how they affected street gangs. Guy was pretty interesting. His brother in-law was an Aryan Brotherhood member, so that's why he'd always taken an interest in prison gangs, probably more so than other CJ professors. So, I'd have to guess it probably just depends on the class. A professor at Sac State (CSUS) named Hernandez (forget first name), is always sought out by the Sacramento Bee for academic input on gang problems, particularly Nortenos vs. Surenos. He teaches Chicano studies. So I'd imagine his Chicano studies courses get into gang history. I'd start with the professor's name, and do some googling on their name. Search their name, then "gangs", something like that. See if they've spoke or written about gangs in the past. I'd imagine any professor that has will probably discuss it in his classes, as well.