Being in a gang?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Being in a gang?

Unread post by kenni » January 15th, 2005, 11:40 am

What's the main reason why someone joins a gang?

43RDPLACE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Location: East of Central, North of Vernon, West of Hooper, and South of 41st

Re: Being in a gang?

Unread post by 43RDPLACE » January 15th, 2005, 12:30 pm

To Jacc marks like you

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » January 15th, 2005, 12:35 pm

I'm guessing trying to be protected from being taken by everyone, and wanting to be part of something. Basically...if you're from anything except the projects, or a low class area financially speaking, then you shouldn't be in a gang.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » January 15th, 2005, 3:54 pm

My cousin is in a gang and I've asked him the same question myself. he told me that the reason he's in the gang is because that way of life is all he ever knew, even from a young age. His dad was in a gang, on drugs and in prison and so was his mom. thats all he ever really saw growing up and as he says, he doesnt really know any other way except that. so for him, he just followed what his parents did.

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » January 15th, 2005, 7:00 pm

advocate wrote:My cousin is in a gang and I've asked him the same question myself. he told me that the reason he's in the gang is because that way of life is all he ever knew, even from a young age. His dad was in a gang, on drugs and in prison and so was his mom. thats all he ever really saw growing up and as he says, he doesnt really know any other way except that. so for him, he just followed what his parents did.

That's real interesting. Does he feel like he HAS to follow in their example? Like there is no way out? To admit it the way he did, is a very intelligent thing to do, and I'm curious if the reason he's following his parents example is because he dosn't see how he can't.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » January 15th, 2005, 9:33 pm

I dont think he felt he had to follow their ways or that there was no way out; he has just been used to this way of living all his life. he saw it for the first half of his life and now he's been living it out the past 11 years or so. since he was always around it, it influenced him in that way.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 16th, 2005, 8:39 am

cannot afford a guitar for 20 bucks

(my thought on those I could `ve been friend with)

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kenni » January 16th, 2005, 10:10 am

43RDPLACE wrote:To Jacc marks like you

hmm??

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » January 17th, 2005, 11:40 am

kenni wrote:What's the main reason why someone joins a gang?

Feelin hopeless and heart broken, Betrayed by family and nowhere else to turn but your so called gangs buddies.

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kenni » January 17th, 2005, 12:15 pm

North Face wrote:
kenni wrote:What's the main reason why someone joins a gang?

Feelin hopeless and heart broken, Betrayed by family and nowhere else to turn but your so called gangs buddies.

:/.. ahh, allright.. sounds rough.. :/

S.R.E.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by S.R.E. » January 19th, 2005, 9:00 am

There is not one real reason, but a list of different ones that invite people into being in a gang. One, it could feel like a sense of belonging to a group or a family structure a person may be lacking from somewhere else. Second, It could be a person environment, as stated, a person could have grown up around that lifestyle and naturally becomes a part of it. Third, A person could just join for the feeling of protection. It is more reasons, but these are some of the main ones that come to mind.

Boricua

Unread post by Boricua » March 29th, 2005, 9:47 pm

Those were the male role models I had growing up, and they kept me from getting beaten up by other gangs. My dad was in prison for activity in a Puerto Rican independence organization, YES there are political prisoners in America! So between jail time, he was in hiding, which left my mom to raise me and my sister. The Latin Kings in the barrio looked up to my dad, so they took me under their care since I as long as I can remember. It was all about the cause for me, I wanted revenge for what my dad went through and I wanted to continue the struggle for a free Puerto Rico. At the same time it helped pay the bills, take care of my mom and sister.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”