What Do You Know About The Swastika?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

What Do You Know About The Swastika?

Unread post by Common Sense » January 24th, 2005, 9:39 am

What Do You Think/Know About The Swastika?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Re: What Do You Know About The Swastika?

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 24th, 2005, 9:49 am

It has roots in India and East Asia. It is used in its original, opposite orientation in Buddhism as a symbol for the cycle of life. Originally the swastika had very positive connotations.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 24th, 2005, 9:55 am

I believe the Hindu's and other religon's used the symbol as well. I'm not sure how many religons in total. I don't think many people realize that this is a symbol of peace.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 24th, 2005, 9:57 am

Provided origin :Area codes all over Asia:for a clan ,a tribe etc. on a stone put in field.
Nazi Hitler made up a race named Aryan (like in Rocky) and created a flag.
All BS,or Guano historically
all the way to the stones that are around ,f.ex. Afghanistan ,China,
and the Indian and Banghladeshi traditionally symbolic on special events:
Bangladeshi women puts a handfull(or even counted Nr.) of rice on a painted plate/shield in a Swastika formation.
Else symbol definition is " SUN-SIGNE "

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 24th, 2005, 11:07 am

It's a shame that this symbol of peace and good luck that has been around for over 3000 years, was hijacked by the Third Reich. The symbol is now most known for the Nazi Party.

I think after Hitler fell, the world should have rightfully replaced the honor of this religous symbol. I didn't learn of it's past until after i became an adult. For years I thought Adolf Hitler invented this sign.

Ignorance is bliss.

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » January 24th, 2005, 12:19 pm

I think the Nazis also turned it around...

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 24th, 2005, 12:29 pm

thrak wrote:I think the Nazis also turned it around...

That's right thrak. They did reverse it. I think it was meant to be the opposite of the original meaning. What's the opposite of peace? WAR.

FLUID
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by FLUID » January 24th, 2005, 1:59 pm

The MLDz use the swastika as one of their main symbols also. They tag that shit up everywhere like they Nazis or somethin. But I think they tag it backwards and got their own meaning behind it.
Last edited by FLUID on January 25th, 2005, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOONEY TOON
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by LOONEY TOON » January 24th, 2005, 10:18 pm

I have no clue. I will have to read more as this post topic grows.

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » January 25th, 2005, 12:35 pm

IN JAPAN THEY HAVE THAT SYMBOL WRITTEN EVERYWHERE ON THEIR SHRINES.

IT MEANS GOOD LUCK!

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » January 25th, 2005, 1:13 pm

FLUID wrote:The MLDz use the swastika as one of their main symbols also. They tag that shit up everywhere like they Nazis or somethin. But I think they tag it backwards and got their own meaning behind it.

Yeah because the guy who founded the Maniac LAtin Disciples was named Hitler,but they are not racist in the sense of white surpremacy or anti-semitic..

perfecto31
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by perfecto31 » January 25th, 2005, 11:12 pm

Cold Bear wrote:It has roots in India and East Asia. It is used in its original, opposite orientation in Buddhism as a symbol for the cycle of life. Originally the swastika had very positive connotations.

correct

hkswb357
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by hkswb357 » January 26th, 2005, 8:46 am

Also, it is not uncommon to see the swastika symbol tattooed on Southeast Asian gangs.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 11:23 am

The History of The Swastika

From Jennifer Rosenberg,

The swastika is an extremely powerful symbol. Though the Nazis used it to murder millions of people, for centuries it had positive meanings. What is the history of the swastika? Does it now represent good or evil?

The Oldest Known Symbol

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During the following thousand years, the image of the swastika was used by many cultures around the world, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well known, if not commonly used, symbol but was called by many different names:

China - wan
England - fylfot
Germany - Hakenkreuz
Greece - tetraskelion and gammadion
India - swastika

Though it is not known for exactly how long, Native Americans also have long used the symbol of the swastika.

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.

A Change in Meaning

In the 1800s, countries around Germany were growing much larger, forming empires; yet Germany was not a unified country until 1871. To counter the feeling of vulnerability and the stigma of youth, German nationalists in the mid-nineteenth century began to use the swastika, because it had ancient Aryan/Indian origins, to represent a long Germanic/Aryan history.

By the end of the nineteenth century, the swastika could be found on nationalist German volkisch periodicals and was the official emblem of the German Gymnasts' League.

In the beginning of the twentieth century, the swastika was a common symbol of German nationalism and could be found in a multitude of places such as the emblem for the Wandervogel, a German youth movement; on Joerg Lanz von Liebenfels' antisemitic periodical Ostara; on various Freikorps units; and as an emblem of the Thule Society.

Hitler and the Nazis

In 1920, Adolf Hitler decided that the Nazi Party needed its own insignia and flag. For Hitler, the new flag had to be "a symbol of our own struggle" as well as "highly effective as a poster." (Mein Kampf, pg. 495)

On August 7, 1920, at the Salzburg Congress, this flag became the official emblem of the Nazi Party.

In Mein Kampf, Hitler described the Nazis' new flag: "In red we see the social idea of the movement, in white the nationalistic idea, in the swastika the mission of the struggle for the victory of the Aryan man, and, by the same token, the victory of the idea of creative work, which as such always has been and always will be anti-Semitic." (pg. 496-497)

Because of the Nazis' flag, the swastika soon became a symbol of hate, antisemitism, violence, death, and murder.

What Does the Swastika Mean Now?

There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

These conflicting meanings are causing problems in today's society. For Buddhists and Hindus, the swastika is a very religious symbol that is commonly used. Chirag Badlani shares a story about one time when he went to make some photocopies of some Hindu Gods for his temple. While standing in line to pay for the photocopies, some people behind him in line noticed that one of the pictures had a swastika. They called him a Nazi.

Unfortunately, the Nazis were so effective at their use of the swastika emblem, that many do not even know any other meaning for the swastika. Can there be two completely opposite meanings for one symbol?

In ancient times, the direction of the swastika was interchangeable as can be seen on an ancient Chinese silk drawing.

Some cultures in the past had differentiated between the clockwise swastika and the counter-clockwise sauvastika. In these cultures the swastika symbolized health and life while the sauvastika took on a mystical meaning of bad-luck or misfortune.

But since the Nazis use of the swastika, some people are trying to differentiate the two meanings of the swastika by varying its direction - trying to make the clockwise, Nazi version of the swastika mean hate and death while the counter-clockwise version would hold the ancient meaning of the symbol, life and good-luck.

LOONEY TOON
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by LOONEY TOON » January 26th, 2005, 1:00 pm

thanks for the info COMMON

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 1:43 pm

LOONEY TOON wrote:thanks for the info COMMON

No Problem. That's what life is all about, learning new information.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » February 8th, 2005, 1:46 pm

North Face wrote:IN JAPAN THEY HAVE THAT SYMBOL WRITTEN EVERYWHERE ON THEIR SHRINES.

IT MEANS GOOD LUCK!

At Holloween this year all the Jewish groups in my area were freaking out because stores were selling Japanese halloween candy that had a picture little kitty with a swastika on it's shirt.

Personally I didn't see the need for outrage....

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » February 8th, 2005, 2:00 pm

I would,`cause no seller will tell you the truth.Of course some wise would know about Japaneese meaning of and stuff ,but it is real and we got to deal.

AMAR420
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AMAR420 » March 21st, 2005, 7:40 pm

its the real aryan sun wheel of India

and has nothin to do with kelts or germanics or swedes

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » October 27th, 2005, 10:48 am

This symbol was also found in parts of ancient Egypt.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » October 28th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Nice one Common Sense, before reading your post, I knew only that the original swastika was a posituve symbol of life used by many cultures/religeons and the the Nazis peverted it by turning it round and corrupted its meaning. Never thought Id learn so much on a forum man, good stuff.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”