Why Would A Free Man With Two Strikes............?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Why Would A Free Man With Two Strikes............?

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 11:00 am

Keep tripin' in the streets. What I mean by that is, doing dirt, robbin' fools, owning a gun, beatin' down his girl, and etc.

So when knucklehead get's hauled in for something stupid as stealing a 99 cent slice of pizza, and now is looking at life in prison. Whose fault is that?

Yea it's harsh and jacked up, but one would think homie would be walking on egg shells, trying not to go back to the pen.

Please enlighten me.
Last edited by Common Sense on January 26th, 2005, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TmaaN

Re: Why Would A Free Man With Two Strikes............?

Unread post by TmaaN » January 26th, 2005, 1:14 pm

10% of folk in the United States believe that Elvis is still alive.....therefore based on this statistic one may conclude that there is some of us who demonstrate lack in abilities related to logic and clear forethought.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 2:39 pm

TmaaN wrote:one may conclude that there is some of us who demonstrate lack in abilities related to logic and clear forethought.
LOL....basically stooopid.

Reminds me of a story:

I was in a liquor store. I ran into a guy I knew years ago that did time. So as we both leave the store and walk down the street, trying to catch up, homie cracks open his colt 45 and get's to sippin' while we're strolling down main street America in broad daylight.

So I had to ask him. Aren't you on parole?
He say's oh yea..but it's aight.
I said..if you get rolled up on right now with this open container, you know you going over a 89 cent can of malt liquer.

Two weeks later, that fool was back in The County waiting to catch a chain.
All I could do was shake my head and laugh.

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 26th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Yeah.....basically.....LOL

hkswb357
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by hkswb357 » January 27th, 2005, 12:45 pm

I was doing some research on the 3 strikes law in California awhile back for my Criminal Justice class. It is crazy what some of the people have gotten their 3rd strike on.

The problem is that, you can only get the first 2 strikes for violent/serious felonies. But the catch is that the 3rd strike can be ANY felony...even non-violent felonies.

There was this hispanic guy that had 2 strikes and he went into some guy's garage and stole a spare tire, tools, some gas and a lawnmower. And because all of these amounted to over $300 which I think is the limit from a misdemeanor to a felony, he got sent to prison for life. That is just messed up.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 27th, 2005, 12:50 pm

That is messed up. I remember this Black guy at a mall in LA County didn't get out of the way fast enough as a security guard bumped into him. He was like "watch where you're going yo" like a lot of people would do nothing serious. But the security guard comes back hunting after the call and gets in his face outside of the mall actually and the guy gives him a little push back to get some room and that was it. The other security guards took him down. Down for number three.

hkswb357
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by hkswb357 » January 27th, 2005, 12:53 pm

^^^That's what I'm saying. A lot of the times, the 3rd strike that is given out is a bunch of BS. And they really should change that part of the system. It just isn't right for someone to go to prison, possibly for the rest of their lives...because they stole some things or they got into a fight with someone.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 27th, 2005, 1:30 pm

Ok I see there is a special regulation,but I remember my carrer going down, with bad driving.
Although I know all the rules,sometimes shit happened.I had to drive all day long.And I got practice ,knew the streets and so on.But I had also a higher risk.And I got tickets on and on.
There were some light crashes.Nothing serious.I had one crash,I wouldn`t have been guilty for if it had happened 1(one)month later,because of a new law. (germany forbid mobilphones+driving/except headset.)

But then I thought about the law in Cali,and I knew that it comes close to be the most stupid law in mankind.
That is ridiculous .Why aren`t you raging?

That is a proof ,that you US/Cali people aren`t nearly as smart,as you would like to be.
Simply Stupid!!!

P.S.:Isn`t somebody competent about that issue,and is forming actions to change thatß

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 27th, 2005, 2:27 pm

hkswb357 wrote:It just isn't right for someone to go to prison, possibly for the rest of their lives...because they stole some things or they got into a fight with someone.
No it isn't right. That's too much tax payer's money. I was reading yesterday that Cali is not convicting nearly as many 3rd strikers because it's costing the State too much money.

I also feel that the violator needs to take some responsibility for his/her actions. People with two strikes know what time it is. If they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar..then shame on them.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 27th, 2005, 2:47 pm

What tax payers money?:
For ex:I got offered an used mobilephone today.what if it was stolen?Come on!Name it!
Rid.....

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 27th, 2005, 4:22 pm

“Messed up” how?! I will tell you what’s messed up…the fact that you have fools walking free, who have demonstrated not once, but twice, that they are no longer fit to operate in society! That’s messed up!

Fools without restraint, absolutely no regard for the well being of another human being! Just doing life is hard enough as it is, yet we tolerate those who continue to show contempt for those who just want to maintain.

Think on this: You know you got two strikes, yet you boldly commit another crime?

LoL… Yall sound like those ‘tree hugging liberal Lesbians’!

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » January 27th, 2005, 4:30 pm

and i have to laugh at you, cause its your billions of tax money that gets wasted on that shit. Not mine.
You could save half the amount of money if youd offer poor people better options in life.
You sound like a red faced mendacious republican, thats ignoring reality.
But about some few people you are right, they will never be fit to operate in society, but thats a very small minority of mentally ill people.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 27th, 2005, 4:51 pm

Sentenza wrote:and i have to laugh at you, cause its your billions of tax money that gets wasted on that shit. Not mine.
I think some of that money should go into a mandatory 1 year intensive pre-release program from prison. This program would be aimed at getting the inmates really ready for society again. Psychotherapy for past issues, skills training, interpersonal skills training, hygiene care, and medication management for those with health problems. I think they would have a lesser chance of getting re-roped back into the system. If the inmate cannot pass this program they are to remain in prison until they do so.

hkswb357
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by hkswb357 » January 27th, 2005, 5:34 pm

TmaaN wrote:“Messed up” how?! I will tell you what’s messed up…the fact that you have fools walking free, who have demonstrated not once, but twice, that they are no longer fit to operate in society! That’s messed up!

Fools without restraint, absolutely no regard for the well being of another human being! Just doing life is hard enough as it is, yet we tolerate those who continue to show contempt for those who just want to maintain.

Think on this: You know you got two strikes, yet you boldly commit another crime?

LoL… Yall sound like those ‘tree hugging liberal Lesbians’!
Not everyone who has two strikes is "unfit" to operate in society. If a guy murdered someone, and got out of prison and murdered someone again then that is one thing, and he should stay in prison. But if a guy has two strikes...even with something as serious as assault, and then he gets caught stealing a lawnmower and tools. You think it is right that he goes to prison for the rest of his life?

Do you really think a guy who has assaulted two people and then stolen some tools really deserves to be in prison for life? Maybe we should focus on getting those guys some help, that would be a lot cheaper than keeping them in prison anyways.

hkswb357
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by hkswb357 » January 27th, 2005, 5:40 pm

TmaaN wrote:Think on this: You know you got two strikes, yet you boldly commit another crime?
And that's another thing. Not everyone who has two strikes "boldly" commits another crime. Like someone said earlier about that black guy, who had two strikes on his record and he was walking in the mall and the security guy bumped into him. The black guy told him to watch out and later on the security guard gets in his face and the black guy pushes him to get him out of his face and the security guards bring him down and he gets arrested for assault. Well what about that? He sure as hell did not boldly commit another crime. In fact, he almost got lured into that crime, in a way.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 27th, 2005, 5:57 pm

hkswb357 wrote: and the black guy pushes him
And that's where the black guy screwed up. He was in the clear up til then. The black dude didn't understand the philosophy of "Choosing one's battle's." That was a fight he should have not fought, at least in that manner. His situation is very sad, and I wouldn't wish that scenario on any parolee, but at the end of the day. He was in direct violation.
hkswb357 wrote:Well what about that? He sure as hell did not boldly commit another crime. In fact, he almost got lured into that crime, in a way.
The Court see's it this way:
If the black dude had an issue with mall security, he should have reported the incident to their supervisor or filed a complaint with the mall like normal citizen. He is a patron. The mall is not trying to lose business. The Court saw it has he hadn't learned his lesson's about living in society, therefore taking him out once again.

It's an unfortunate situation, but the black dude was wrong and careless, because he was on parole (which meant any trouble no matter how minor, your butt is gone) and made a poor choice which he paid for with his liberty.

Personally: the security guard wasn't worth the fight.

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 27th, 2005, 9:29 pm

Ignoring reality? No…the clowns who wake up in the morning with no reasonable objective but to lollygag through life are ignoring reality! You want my reality? Respect authority…that’s my reality! Show disdain for authority and you will reap the consequences.

But what is the answer? There is no answer when you jettison morals and values. We all on a freakin fruitloop trail chasing a quick “buck”, totally consumed with self; this narcissistic mind-set tosses us into a sea of destruction. And we have the nerve to complain…

Man phuleeeez……………..This country has shredded the ‘dominate Male figure’ that’s responsible for the leadership, provision, and love of his family to the point of no return… rectify that institution, then the country will be in a solid position to put right the ills that causes dialog such as this.

But it will never happen…………..

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 28th, 2005, 9:24 am

Let us see some of your actors
Not many of them,have all chances left!
For sure they go to a clinic because of pills and alcohol.?But what if the real reason gets public.
Does police get them while they exit?
And what if you forget to pay in a store or at a gasstaition?

UHlala!
No way ,not with me!

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 28th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Somebody please get this Cat Mraka outta here......this guy is beyond help in a major way.................

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 28th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Sentenza wrote:and i have to laugh at you, cause its your billions of tax money that gets wasted on that shit. Not mine.
You could save half the amount of money if youd offer poor people better options in life.
You sound like a red faced mendacious republican, thats ignoring reality.
But about some few people you are right, they will never be fit to operate in society, but thats a very small minority of mentally ill people.
So you vote them to a High Rank position,were he/she cannot harm no one.
That law is a fascist one,Arnold will come.Know what?It fits you.
Unbeleavable:Go for asyl.
http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalac ... =470.topic

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 28th, 2005, 4:37 pm

Mraka wrote:Ok I see there is a special regulation,but I remember my carrer going down, with bad driving.
Although I know all the rules,sometimes shit happened.I had to drive all day long.And I got practice ,knew the streets and so on.But I had also a higher risk.And I got tickets on and on.
There were some light crashes.Nothing serious.I had one crash,I wouldn`t have been guilty for if it had happened 1(one)month later,because of a new law. (germany forbid mobilphones+driving/except headset.)

But then I thought about the law in Cali,and I knew that it comes close to be the most stupid law in mankind.
That is ridiculous .Why aren`t you raging?

That is a proof ,that you US/Cali people aren`t nearly as smart,as you would like to be.
Simply Stupid!!!

P.S.:Isn`t somebody competent about that issue,and is forming actions to change thatß
Easy there cowboy. Settle down. We are trying. Voter support is in the favor of amending the law but how to amend it keeps dividing people. Here was the latest attempt which narrowly missed passing.

http://www.voterguide.ss.ca.gov/proposi ... uments.htm
http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ ... 9804c.html

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » January 31st, 2005, 6:13 am

Why hvae the countries with the Death sentence still the highest murder rates....Why have countries with the hardest laws the highest crime rates?
its all the same question....
I think part of the reason, that there is almost NO criminal who is planning on getting caught for what he does, thats why people still do crazy stuff after they have 2 strikes.
Cause they think theyll get away with what they do.
You dont rob a bank when youre sure that the money will be confiscated and youll get 25 years for it....

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 31st, 2005, 10:13 am

u mine yu don`dt?
is that affackt?

(jokin)

jbrazy5150
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jbrazy5150 » March 22nd, 2005, 5:54 am

Lets look at it like this. Anytime you get a felony and pen time its not going to be a short stint up state. I mean what is a short stint anyways. Any time in the pen is too long, but id you have commited to prior felonies chances are you have seen a large amount of time and lost a large amount of your life in the system. ADAPTING TO YOUR ENVIROMENT. Some of thee guys just adapt to prison and find it hard to live any other way. Then when you get out it is right back to were all this sh*t went down in the first place. If your surrounded by negativity then chances are you wont be able to produce something positive. Unless thay return to a clean and positive enviroment then nobody should expect anything to change. How many people with 2 strikes against them can get a decent enough job too make it in this world. Our society and government has made it merely impossible for someone who goes through prison to come out and be 100% rehabilitated when there is no rehabilitation continuing outside of those walls. There is just alot stacked up against these people. I am not defending any one person's behavior here just giving a different point of view to considered. Something to think about.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 22nd, 2005, 9:41 am

^^^ Good points. What do you think a first or second striker could do to help themselves stay out of the system, because the next time is the last time.

I feel state shold put inmates in a rehab program for one year prior to their release. Give the some job skills and social rehab, before letting them out. Letting a person out of prison with no rehab and only $200.00 is asking for a repeat offender.

jbrazy5150
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jbrazy5150 » March 22nd, 2005, 3:28 pm

I agree totally. They have halfway houses they sometimes send them to after release were they might have to do smoe time before they are released and homeward bound. I agree that some type of programs need to be made that will established an oppurtunity for ex cons to get better education and job skills, rather then throwing them into job placement for jobs that we cant get any one else in society to do. I mean when you release a group of prisoners and put all of them in the same job placement and their making just enough to live day to day they will sit together and mastermind an illegal way to make that extra money. When you are at your lowest point you return what you know best that will be a quick fix to your problems wether it be drugs, saleing or abusing, alcahol, theft so on and so forth. We have to make oppurtunities for these because they cannot go out and get them due to our present society as a whole.

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » March 23rd, 2005, 10:48 am

Common Sense wrote:Keep tripin' in the streets. What I mean by that is, doing dirt, robbin' fools, owning a gun, beatin' down his girl, and etc.

So when knucklehead get's hauled in for something stupid as stealing a 99 cent slice of pizza, and now is looking at life in prison. Whose fault is that?

Yea it's harsh and jacked up, but one would think homie would be walking on egg shells, trying not to go back to the pen.

Please enlighten me.
1. second strikers are usually habitual criminals with more than "three strikes" per se in terms of dirt under their criminal history such as having 15 or more arrests under their belt. telling a second striker of this stature to quit crime is like telling a smoker to quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey. know how hard that is?

2. second strikers also consist of habitual drug offenders. we all know what drugs can do to one's system and how addicting it may be and know what a clucker or crackhead would do to support his or her habits.

3. most second strikers didn't or don't know that a third strike can also be a misdemeanor since the PROSECUTOR has discretion to file it as a FELONY, making it a third strike.

remember the individual who also given a life sentence for stealing vhs stapes at a video rental store? he didn't know

what about the guy who stole candy at a liquor store? he didn't know that it such a crime can be prosecuted as a felony under the three strikes law.

if such a law is going to be changed it should be narrowed for the most serious of offenders.

three strikes, the way it is now, is like a broad fish net, catching a huge chunk of the criminal population, who for the most part are financially strapped minorities.

the law doesn't seem to be doing its job in keeping the more serious offenders such as child molestors, rapists, killers in jail.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 30th, 2005, 10:24 am

Why would a free man with two strikes be walking down the street around the corner from the police station smoking bud and with drugs in his pocket?

Happened to a fool I know in Texas. Wants to know why everything always happens to him...LOL.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » April 11th, 2005, 10:25 pm

Assault, Firearms Charges Filed Against Alleged Pasadena Gunman.

April 8, 2005

PASADENA – Felony charges were filed today against an alleged gunman who opened fire in Pasadena Tuesday night, the District Attorney’s office announced.

Angel Martinez, 23 (dob 11-21-1981), of Altadena, is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Department D, Pasadena Superior Court. He was booked early Wednesday morning by Pasadena police and has remained in custody since that time.

Martinez, whose street moniker “Stomper” was listed in the complaint (GA 061073), was charged with two counts of assault with a firearm, one count of shooting at an occupied vehicle, one count of possession of a firearm by a felon with one prior conviction, one count of a convicted person having a concealed firearm in a vehicle, one count of carrying a loaded firearm with a prior conviction, and one count of possession of ammunition.

The complaint alleged that the crimes were “for the benefit of, at the direction of, and in association with a criminal street gang…” It also alleged the defendant personally used a handgun to commit the assaults. It also alleged a prior conviction of making a criminal threat (GA 046623) in 2001.

Deputy District Attorney Kathleen Gentry, who filed the case, recommended bail of $450,000. A trial prosecutor has not yet been assigned.

Gentry said she declined to file charges against three other people who were arrested following the shooting near Madison Avenue and Buckeye Street in Pasadena about 9 a.m. on Tuesday. She said the evidence was insufficient to show their involvement.

Martinez allegedly got out of his car and fired shots at an unmarked police car that had been tailing him. Authorities said police began following the car because of erratic driving and the speed of the vehicle. They said police returned fire. No one was hit by either Martinez or police.

The defendant, who fled on foot, was arrested after a search of the neighborhood.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 11th, 2007, 10:38 am

Gang Member Faces Life Sentence for Heist Described In Memoir
Tuesday , September 11, 2007

MURRIETA, Calif.

A former gang member faces life in prison after being convicted in a jewelry heist that resembled robberies he described in a memoir about gang life.

Jurors on Monday found Colton Simpson, 41, guilty of robbery, burglary and grand theft for his roll in the March 17, 2003, heist at a department store jewelry counter in Temecula, about 60 miles north of San Diego.

Superior Court Judge F. Paul Dickerson III had permitted Simpson's memoir, "Inside the Crips: Life Inside L.A.'s Most Notorious Gang," to be presented as evidence during the trial, over defense objections.

Simpson faces life in prison under the state's three strikes law because he has previous felony convictions.

Prosecutors said a visit Simpson made to the jewelry counter two days before the robbery was similar to scenes he detailed in the 2005 book, in which he said he started robbing jewelry stores when he turned 14.

"I love doing jewelry licks," Simpson wrote. "It gets so I go in alone, ask to see a Rolex, grab two, dash out the store, turn them around, and have eight thousand dollars stuffed in my pocket."

The judge barred prosecutors from presenting passages from the book relating to Simpson's gang activity, but defense attorney Richard Briones-Colman said even the book's title could have prejudiced them against his client.

"It was obviously damaging that the book came in," said Briones-Colman.

Simpson was accused of being the mastermind and getaway car driver in the heist that netted a single diamond earring. Two unidentified men, who have not been prosecuted, allegedly entered the store and took the earring.

Prosecutor Charles Lockwood declined to comment on the verdict because Simpson has not been sentenced.

Simpson's sentencing was set for Sept. 28.

CS Commentary:
He's done. What a fool.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 13th, 2007, 7:12 pm

Because they dont know any other way. They are probably/likely institutionalized. I have so many old homies that have gotten out of prison and basically do anything and everything to get themselves back in because they dont know how to be out here in the streets. Also...getting a life after prison is a joke. You always have that over your head. Not saying that its impossible to make it but it takes work and dedication and many ex-cons just give up. Its easier inside.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 14th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Christina Marie wrote:Also...getting a life after prison is a joke. You always have that over your head. Not saying that its impossible to make it but it takes work and dedication and many ex-cons just give up. Its easier inside.
Interesting point.