Wasting Your Time In High School?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Wasting Your Time In High School?

Unread post by Common Sense » June 1st, 2005, 8:01 am

Hundreds and hundreds of kids attend high school and don't go to class or try to achieve passing scores. Some even feel, "Why are we learning history"? "they ain't gonna ask me no history questions on no job."

High School is a stepping stone to bigger and better goals. High School is where you learn the basics of general knowledge. Of course you boss may not ask you a question about history, but let's the conversation turns to a historical point of view, those with better general knowledge will continue to engage, while the one with limited knowledge, will have to sit and be quiet. My point being is: The more engaging you are (good general knowledge base), the more opportunities you can make for yourself. The more appealing and well read you will come across to other people, the easier it is to set your self up for better opportunities.

High School is a serious stepping stone that should not be taken for granted. The choices you make during this period could change the rest of your life.

Important Facts To Get Out Of High School:

1. Social Skills- Learn how to interact with people. This is crucial. The sky is the limits when you can effectivey communicate and get along with others.

2. Pass all of your classes with a grade of 'C' or better. Make sure you take transferable classes if you plan to move on to Trade School, College, or University.

3. Get a tutor if you need help. Part of life and being an adult, is knowing when to consult other people for help. The bottom line is getting the job done.

3. Engage in sports, clubs, or music. These extracurricular courses aid with being well rounded.

4. Have fun while you are learning. These are important years you cannot get back. When you look back at high school, you want to have fond memories to reflect.

5. Graduate from High School. It's not that difficult if you put in a little effort.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » June 1st, 2005, 8:07 am

well said

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » June 1st, 2005, 8:23 am

I used to think high school was a waste and i screwed over my first couple of years of high school but then I woke up and got serious. it took me a while, had to go to adult school, summer school, get help from tutors and go back to continuation school but it was all worth it when I finally finished.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 1st, 2005, 8:37 am

I regret dropping out of High school all those girls in one place to choose from had to wait for college to be around an environment with all that potential again.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » June 1st, 2005, 8:45 am

i dont regret dropping out

making money since 16, school is for some but others just CANT mantain though it --- i say just do what you FEEL

Bo$$
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Bo$$ » June 1st, 2005, 9:26 am

I dropped out when i was 14, and i do regret it, but at the same time i dont. Its strange, but i had so many good memories after i dropped out school that it just doesnt bother me any more.

fuck it im drunk so i wont post any more worthless BS. peace.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 1st, 2005, 10:53 am

purplecityhello wrote:i dont regret dropping out
making money since 16, school is for some but others just CANT mantain though it --- i say just do what you FEEL
You're right. School is for some and not for others. It appears that you were able to take the entrepreneur route. This is a different type of discipline. Most people don't have what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur. It is one of the hardest jobs on the market.

Good luck in your endeavors Purplecity.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 1st, 2005, 10:54 am

Bo$$ wrote:I dropped out when i was 14, and i do regret it, but at the same time i dont.
Get your GED (if you have not done so already) and move on. It's never to late to improve your life situation.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » June 1st, 2005, 11:25 am

RuthlessBone wrote:I used to think high school was a waste and i screwed over my first couple of years of high school but then I woke up and got serious. it took me a while, had to go to adult school, summer school, get help from tutors and go back to continuation school but it was all worth it when I finally finished.

...and now, the next thing i might do.....college..

is high school a waste of time without going to college after?..seems like it sometimes..

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 1st, 2005, 11:31 am

RuthlessBone wrote:is high school a waste of time without going to college after?..seems like it sometimes..
Yea I know, but it isn't. It's those basic skills and discipline you need for the work force as well. Basic skills such as showing up for work everyday and on time. School teaches you that you need to get up out of bed and be somewhere at a certain time, even if you don't feel like it. Be responsible for assignmments. People that don't learn these basic skills have a hard time holding down a job, so they become higher risk for criminal elements.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 1st, 2005, 2:33 pm

You also have to realize that your mind is something that no one can take away from you. It is power. The more you know, the more likely you are to have more control over your own life instead of feeling like a helpless victim of destiny.
Other reasons:
You will be less likely to be cheated.
You will be more likely to keep yourself safe.
You will be more likely to succeed in the business world.
You will be more likely to escape poverty with the more education that you have.

You don't have to change who you are or how you speak. You ADD to what you already know.

Don't drop out because you don't like a teacher. That's like dropping out a poker game because you have one bad hand.

If you have personal issues, talk to a counselor or teacher you trust, because there might be alternative programs for you to get a diploma.

And girls, keep in mind that if you want to have an equal pay scale as a man, you generally have to have two degrees higher in order to make the same amount of money.

There is a reason that most cultures did not allow certain types of people to be educated - because with education comes power and they wanted to control who was in power.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » June 2nd, 2005, 7:21 am

I FUCCED UP 3 YEARS STRAIGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL BUT I WENT OT NITE SCHOOL SUMMERS SCHOOL AND AFTER SCHOOL AND GOT MY DIPLOMA NOM IM WORKIN ON 2 DEGREES MANAGMENT AND MARKETING MAJOR.3X

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 7th, 2005, 9:01 am

BG MLOCO - thats why you are going to be fulfilled and a success - 'cause you got up after self appointed Fu-up and did what you needed to do - you used your freedom to choose to take responsibility for your life. Big respect. Message is - it ain't that we fall over thats the problem, its whether or not we get up afterwards.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 7th, 2005, 9:06 am

And CS, you are ALWAYS on the right thread man, you are tireless! One thing though, are you real or are you a virtual phenomena only, I mean are you made of flesh or are you hiding between the atoms, an internet spirit, the conscience of the forums, ready to be heard by all if they have ears to listen! Seriously though, nice work, keep it going. I think hell, he never slips! Still got one foot in old days probs myself, but CS seems to be infecting me more n more. Help!

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 7th, 2005, 9:15 am

Im lucky. I was in trouble all the time as a kid stealing everything you can think of and gettin high all the time. Fighting with kids from other estates (projects) the school i was at was very patient with me even though i was a lil shit, but when i started dishin out violence to the teachers i got kicked out, i was 15. After that my mom met my stepdad who helped me get on track, i got back into a school and kept my head down and got my GCSE qualifications. Im now at university (Ok i admit its the sixth worst university in England, or 94th best depending on which way you look at it) but im here and if i can get a good degree it aint gonna matter what university i went to.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » June 8th, 2005, 6:05 am

HELL YEAH I NEED THIS BOOK SMART AND STRRET SMART NIGGA IS VERY DANGEROUS.3X

DiaBo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DiaBo » June 8th, 2005, 8:18 am

Homies help me out im thinking of dropping out of high school at the age of 16 because school is boring as fuck but i know it's suppose to be fun and all can ya'll help me out.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 8th, 2005, 8:50 am

I dropped out at 14 in it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Just stay in school and try fuck as many 16 year old bitches as possible. Oh you and might also try and get an education.

DiaBo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DiaBo » June 8th, 2005, 8:54 am

I keep that in mind.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 8th, 2005, 9:26 am

DiaBo wrote:Homies help me out im thinking of dropping out of high school at the age of 16 because school is boring as fu-- but i know it's suppose to be fun and all can ya'll help me out.
Where does it say that school is supposed to be fun?
It isn't. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. I never thought math was fun. I hated Chemistry. English was extremely boring at times. There might be times when you do something cool, but on the whole, education can be boring and painful.

I know it's tough, but you have to think about the future. It can be very easy to think about what you can be doing NOW instead of waking up early to go to school only to have a teacher hassle you about dress codes. Think about goals that you want for self and work towards them. Plan for future. One of my students wants to play basketball for Notre Dame and one of his simple reminders is a Fighting Irish notebook.

If you don't have goals, you have nothing to wrok for. If you are going to school for someone else, that might be not be enough of a reason to stay in school. Not onnly should you shoose long term goals (graduate high school, buy a house one day), but you also need to have short term goals that are a little more easily obtainable achieved.

I got kicked out of college and had to work retail during the X-mas season rush one year. That was enough of an incentive for me to realize that I did NOT want to work a minimun wage job for the rest of my life. My goal - to get a decent paying job that provided benefits. I wanted a family at one point in my life, and I realized that I would want health/life insurance for my children.

Do you have any teachers that you like? I'd suggest if you have a teacher (past or present) that you think is cool, hang out in his/her room before or after school. You can either study, talk, or just relax in the teacher's room. An indicator of success in school are relationships - relationships with positive role models who are there for you. Even if you have people who support you at home, it doesn't hurt to have relationships with teachers at school as well.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 8th, 2005, 10:20 am

DiaBo wrote:Homies help me out im thinking of dropping out of high school at the age of 16 because school is boring as fu-- but i know it's suppose to be fun and all can ya'll help me out.
What is your initial problem with school?

Are you failing classes?

Are you going to class?

What do you plan to do if you drop out?

If you can be more specific, then I can be more specific.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 8th, 2005, 10:22 am

Dr. Gonzo wrote: Just stay in school and try fu-- as many 16 year old women as possible. Oh you and might also try and get an education.
Gettin' a hot piece of a** is easy, trying to get some credentials for yourself is another story. We must always prioritize what's really important.

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » June 8th, 2005, 3:26 pm

Many of the younger cats I know drop out of high school and just buy their accredited diploma for like 400 or sumthin. They know they aint gonna learn in school - so they just take the test which they have all the asnwer to and bam they gots a high school diploma.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 8th, 2005, 6:31 pm

True, but you still need to prove your credentials by knowing how to read, write, and comprehend.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 8th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote: Just stay in school and try fu-- as many 16 year old women as possible. Oh you and might also try and get an education.
Gettin' a hot piece of a** is easy, trying to get some credentials for yourself is another story. We must always prioritize what's really important.
Getting laid and getting education are equally important. Pussy is the ultimate motivational factor. I don't see a problem with him using pussy as motivation for him to get up every morning and get his ass too school.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 8th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:Getting laid and getting education are equally important. Pussy is the ultimate motivational factor. I don't see a problem with him using pussy as motivation for him to get up every morning and get his ass too school.
You can always get laid. When gettin' laid becomes the primary reason for everything, especially important things, then you become a prime candidate to be manipulated by the P. Don't ever underestimate the power of the P. It's one of the most powerful drugs in the world. Fools have died over it, killed for it, and are doing long stretches because of it.

You learn this with time and experience.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 8th, 2005, 8:15 pm

I know all about being blinded by the beaver but this kid wants to drop out and around 1000 vaginas in one place should be the one of the reasons he should not drop out.

skitz

Unread post by skitz » June 9th, 2005, 4:58 am

fuck school nigga hustla!

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 9th, 2005, 10:18 am

skitz wrote:fu-- school nigga hustla!
Yea that's smart. That game has come and gone many times over. Always looking to recruit a new fool. Good luck out there, it ain't easy.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » June 9th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:I know all about being blinded by the beaver but this kid wants to drop out and around 1000 vaginas in one place should be the one of the reasons he should not drop out.
:lol:

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » June 10th, 2005, 12:42 am

School aint no waste of a time, its the matter of finding out who u want to be and getting the knowledge u need to know. If you wanna be a thug, they pretty much hussle, kill other people or end u in prison or even be dead. You be the judge when it comes to ethics to finding out who you really are. I suggest finding the right path to being a successful with out having a criminal intelligent mind.

SeriaKilla
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SeriaKilla » June 13th, 2005, 6:06 am

Think about it, school can take up very few years of your life and may lead to a much better future. Any decent job usually requires at least an HS diploma, and the longer you stay in school, it seems the higher your pay bracket is.

If you're bored, just remember it will be over soon. If you don't feel like you're being mentally challenged, look into harder courses, or fast track.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”