ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR?

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 30th, 2005, 7:48 pm

Does being a organ donr a danger to your survival in an accident?

Does it promt hospitals and doctors to give up on you sooner?

Because of the $$$$$ offered by the rich for organs, and/or the desired experience in learning the art of organ transplant by some doctors or universities wishing to get more on-hands experience?

If you have no insurance or little medical coverage, has it ever crossed your mind that Medical Facilities would be quick to deem you a lost cause in the case of a tragic physical illness or accident?

kaotik_hcp
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kaotik_hcp » July 22nd, 2005, 11:50 pm

yes... i was an organ donor but my girlfriend told me to change that shit... she told me that the hospital let her moms boyfriend die in the bed instead of doing simple surgery, and he had insurance... just because someone in the same hospital could use some of his organs.. i said fuk that... i was in the BMV that day...

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » July 28th, 2005, 11:32 am

that's some fucked up shit. there's a lot of minorities (blacks, latinos, asians) who are in need of kidney translants due to dialysis (condition from diabetes).

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Re: ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR?

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 1:03 pm

lonewolf wrote:Does being a organ donr a danger to your survival in an accident?
No.
lonewolf wrote:Does it promt hospitals and doctors to give up on you sooner?

Absolutely not.
lonewolf wrote:Because of the $$$$$ offered by the rich for organs, and/or the desired experience in learning the art of organ transplant by some doctors or universities wishing to get more on-hands experience?
It's illegal to buy or sell organs in the United states, The few countries around the world that was/is harvesting and selling organs are catching much heat from the World Health Organization (WHO). Secondly there are not that many transplant surgery training programs in the U.S., and the surgical residents do get enough cases without being desparate and resorting to illegal practices.
lonewolf wrote:If you have no insurance or little medical coverage, has it ever crossed your mind that Medical Facilities would be quick to deem you a lost cause in the case of a tragic physical illness or accident?
Medical facilities in the US and in most first world countries try to save lives by all means necessary. U.S. Battlefield medicine will even take it a step further. FUNCTION OVER FORM Meaning that they will go to all lengths to save your life, even if they only brought back your living breathing head and torso, and left your badly damaged unsavable arms and legs back in Iraq.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 1:12 pm

kaotik_hcp wrote:yes... i was an organ donor but my girlfriend told me to change that shit......
That's too bad. You can't take with you, and you could probably save 3-4 people and give them anew lease on life. It's one of the last great gifts anyone can give before they leave this world.
kaotik_hcp wrote:she told me that the hospital let her moms boyfriend die in the bed instead of doing simple surgery,...
Well, for one. I would have to question the validity of this story. Secondly, surgery is never a simple procedure. There is always life threatening risk involved with surgery. It's never in the best interest of any credible hospital to just let someone lay there and die. It's not ethical and it's illegal. It's called mal-practice. If that were the case somebody could have sued somebody else and started to live phat.
kaotik_hcp wrote:and he had insurance......
Insurance doesn't come into to play when it comes to emergency treatment. By law the hospital must stabilize all unstable patients (insured or not) before they are transferred to another facility (such as County Hospital) or released.
kaotik_hcp wrote:just because someone in the same hospital could use some of his organs.. i said #%@& that... i was in the BMV that day...
There is a waiting list for organs. They go by the national registry list vs. somebody next to you in the hospital.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 1:24 pm

PlayaLarga wrote:that's some #%@& up shit. there's a lot of minorities (blacks, latinos, asians) who are in need of kidney translants due to dialysis (condition from diabetes).
Blacks, Latino's, and Native American's are the main groups of people in the U.S. that are genetically predispositioned for Type 2 Diabetes, especially after age 30.

If one is afflicted with diabetes, there are ways to manage the disease and live a healthy life. Due to diabetes being som prevalent and common in the black and latino communites, it's kind of taken for granted. You hear..."Oh my grandmother got sugar dibetes" but will still bring granny and box of candy or anything else she ask for.

Diabetes is nothing to play with. Diabetes will eat you from the inside out slowly and never look back. It will leave you with limbs, kidneys and you'll die blind as a bat on top of it all.

If you have diabetes:
1. Check your blood sugar as prescribed by your doctor.

2. Monitor what you eat. Check with a dietician.

3. Get an eye exam every year (too catch early eye disease/prevent blindness).

4. Get a foot exam every year (have professional remove all callesous, inspect for ulcers that may not be felt). This should prevent amputation.

5. Exercise and lose excess weight.

6. Take your medication as prescribed by your doctor.

If you don't have diabetes, but one or both parents do. You are greater risk of getting diabetes later in life. If you are big/heavy/obese, you need to lose weight and start eating a healthier diest to reduce the risk of getting Type 2 diabtes mellitus.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 1:29 pm

This link will take the myth out of What It Means To Donate An Organ.

Frequently Asked Questions About Donating Organs.
http://www.organdonor.gov/faq.html

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 28th, 2005, 2:12 pm

i heard that selling organs is illegal too, but there are ways around that. If a wealthy person needed a kidney, there are ways for that person to be moved up on the list if he didnt have a match in his family.

Perhaps money can buy his position on the list, but not the actual organ. Or perhaps the money and influence can get him quicker service. We see how money can help defendents on trial, and how money is used to assist in many endevours. I would find it naive if one didn't think that money would not have some sort of influence on the donor process some where. I am not saying that you can buy an organ, but you can use money in different ways to get that organ that you need.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 3:24 pm

alonso wrote:i heard that selling organs is illegal too, but there are ways around that. If a wealthy person needed a kidney, there are ways for that person to be moved up on the list if he didnt have a match in his family.
Perhaps money can buy his position on the list, but not the actual organ. Or perhaps the money and influence can get him quicker service.
If this does happen, I'm not sure how widespread this would be, because this would create a nationwide scandel. Somebody would be held seriously accountable. If i'm not mistaken, the donor programs are regulated by the U.S. Dept. Of Health And Human Services, which is headed by the #1 person, Secretary of Human Health Services and the #2 person, U.S. Surgeon General. Both postions appointed by the President of the United States. There would be alot to lose to get caught up in a cash for organs scandel (not saying that it has never happened). If it did/does it's most likely kept on the seeeeerious DL.

According to Organ Donor Life:
Q. Is it true that only rich people get transplants?
A. Not at all. All potential recipients are entered into a national computer data base. When a donor is identified, the donor information is entered into a computer. The computer matches donors and recipients based on medical criteria.

We see how money can help defendents on trial, and how money is used to assist in many endevours. I would find it naive if one didn't think that money would not have some sort of influence on the donor process some where. I am not saying that you can buy an organ, but you can use money in different ways to get that organ that you need.
Well, I always felt there was a fine line between attorneys and criminals. You probably need to think like a criminal to be a very good attorney. The only information that I'm aware of regarding the rich getting organs over the poor, is that the rich has the means to go abroad to a country that harvest organs for profit. This was going on in India for a few years. I believe one of those investigative shows (60 minutes, 20/20 etc.) did something on it back in the day.
Rich white Americans would go to India and pay $5,000 USD for one kidney. Using todays currency exchange $1 USD = $43.37 INR (Indian Rupee). So $5000.00 USD is worth about $216,849.99 in todays market. That is living extremey phat over there, better than prostitution, so everybody was trying to sell there organs. They did a story on a poor woman who sold her kidney to an American. Her family was hooked up after that, but the woman's overall health decline. The daily work she did to earn money she could no longer do, so when the US cash ran out she was basically disabled with no disability checks.
The organ black market became so scandelous because of rich white demand, that people were getting jacked for their kidneys left and right.

One man went to apply for a job. He was told to wait in the waiting room for his interview. He was given some refreshemnt while he waited. He woke up 2 days later in a bath tub with ice in it, an IV sticking out of his arm and a dressing on the side of his stomach. He went to a local hospital, and was told he was missing a kidney. They told him he wasn't the first one they have seem come in like that.

The Indian government finally had to come down on Organ harvesting because pooe people were literally being killed for their organs to sell to the highest bidder (usually American or Canadian). It's not illegal in India to sell your organs.

US Case around 2000:
A poor man wanted to sell one of his kidneys for $30,000 to a friend who way down on the donor list. The government said NO. It's illegal. So the man drafted up a contract to lease his kidney for X amt per month for 99 years to the same gentleman. The government once again said NO.

so if it goes on, i'm more inclined to say it's on the seeeerious down low.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 28th, 2005, 3:26 pm

alonso wrote:i heard that selling organs is illegal too, but there are ways around that. If a wealthy person needed a kidney, there are ways for that person to be moved up on the list if he didnt have a match in his family.
Perhaps money can buy his position on the list, but not the actual organ. Or perhaps the money and influence can get him quicker service.
If this does happen, I'm not sure how widespread this would be, because this would create a nationwide scandel. Somebody would be held seriously accountable. If i'm not mistaken, the donor programs are regulated by the U.S. Dept. Of Health And Human Services, which is headed by the #1 person, Secretary of Human Health Services and the #2 person, U.S. Surgeon General. Both postions appointed by the President of the United States. There would be alot to lose to get caught up in a cash for organs scandel (not saying that it has never happened). If it did/does it's most likely kept on the seeeeerious DL.

According to Organ Donor Life:
Q. Is it true that only rich people get transplants?
A. Not at all. All potential recipients are entered into a national computer data base. When a donor is identified, the donor information is entered into a computer. The computer matches donors and recipients based on medical criteria.
alonso wrote:We see how money can help defendents on trial, and how money is used to assist in many endevours. I would find it naive if one didn't think that money would not have some sort of influence on the donor process some where. I am not saying that you can buy an organ, but you can use money in different ways to get that organ that you need.
Well, I always felt there was a fine line between attorneys and criminals. You probably need to think like a criminal to be a very good attorney. The only information that I'm aware of regarding the rich getting organs over the poor, is that the rich has the means to go abroad to a country that harvest organs for profit. This was going on in India for a few years. I believe one of those investigative shows (60 minutes, 20/20 etc.) did something on it back in the day.
Rich white Americans would go to India and pay $5,000 USD for one kidney. Using todays currency exchange $1 USD = $43.37 INR (Indian Rupee). So $5000.00 USD is worth about $216,849.99 in todays market. That is living extremey phat over there, better than prostitution, so everybody was trying to sell there organs. They did a story on a poor woman who sold her kidney to an American. Her family was hooked up after that, but the woman's overall health decline. The daily work she did to earn money she could no longer do, so when the US cash ran out she was basically disabled with no disability checks.
The organ black market became so scandelous because of rich white demand, that people were getting jacked for their kidneys left and right.

One man went to apply for a job. He was told to wait in the waiting room for his interview. He was given some refreshemnt while he waited. He woke up 2 days later in a bath tub with ice in it, an IV sticking out of his arm and a dressing on the side of his stomach. He went to a local hospital, and was told he was missing a kidney. They told him he wasn't the first one they have seem come in like that.

The Indian government finally had to come down on Organ harvesting because pooe people were literally being killed for their organs to sell to the highest bidder (usually American or Canadian). It's not illegal in India to sell your organs.

US Case around 2000:
A poor man wanted to sell one of his kidneys for $30,000 to a friend who way down on the donor list. The government said NO. It's illegal. So the man drafted up a contract to lease his kidney for X amt per month for 99 years to the same gentleman. The government once again said NO.

so if it goes on, i'm more inclined to say it's on the seeeerious down low.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”