Kirby Puckett Dies at 45

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Anonymous20

Kirby Puckett Dies at 45

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 7th, 2006, 1:22 am

Monday, March 6, 2006
For 11 innings, Puckett's greatness took center stage
By Tim Kurkjian
ESPN The Magazine

To appreciate the greatness of Kirby Puckett's 12-year career, all you had to see was 11 innings.

They came in Game 6 of the 1991 World Series, perhaps the greatest World Series ever played. The Twins were behind in the series, 3-2, when Puckett almost single-handedly beat the Braves with one of the best one-game performances in postseason history. He hit the game-winning home run that sent the Twins to a 4-3 victory -- it was his fourth hit and third RBI -- and he made a fabulous leaping catch against the center-field fence in the third inning.

"This isn't the first time he's had that kind of game," Twins manager Tom Kelly said after the game.

He had many games like it, but very few players have ever had a game like that in the World Series or the postseason, especially in an elimination game. It was right there with the best of Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, George Brett, Roberto Clemente, Brooks Robinson, Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson. It was the kind of unforgettable performance that elevates a player to legendary status. Puckett's career numbers were Hall of Fame material, but Game 6 of the '91 World Series went a long way to getting him to Cooperstown on the first ballot in 2001.

And the best part is, Puckett basically predicted it.

"I went to the clubhouse and I gathered [everyone] up. I said, 'Everybody together, we're going to have a short meeting,'" Puckett said, retelling the story years later. "Everybody comes in and I said, 'Guys, I just have one announcement to make: You guys should jump on my back tonight. I'm going to carry us.'"

And then he did.

"We were in a bad way; we needed someone to step forward in a major way," said Twins teammate Gene Larkin. "He told us to jump on his back. Not many guys can talk the talk and walk the walk, but Kirby always could. After he spoke to us, we just knew that Kirby was going to do something special. We've seen him do that many times. That time it was on the biggest stage."

Kirby Puckett
Kirby Puckett backed up his words before Game 6 and carried the Twins closer to the World Series title in 1991.
Teammate Kent Hrbek said: "Great catch, great home run, great player. I know if there were a line of players standing on a block and I had the first pick, I would pick Kirby Puckett. But I don't remember him for that game, I remember him for playing hard every night."

In the first inning of Game 6, Puckett tripled home a run and then scored. In the third inning, with one out and a runner at first, Atlanta's Ron Gant hit a fly ball to deep left-center field.

"I thought it was gone," Puckett said. But Puckett, who was 5-foot-8, scaled the Plexiglas fence in left-center and caught it -- making one of the greatest catches in World Series history.

"If he hadn't made that catch," Larkin said, "we might have lost the World Series in six games."

Puckett hit a sacrifice fly in the fifth to give the Twins a 3-2 lead, but the Braves tied it, setting up the dramatic 11th inning. The Braves brought in left-hander Charlie Leibrandt, a starting pitcher, to work in relief. Puckett hit a 2-1, hanging changeup over the wall in left-center to end the game.

As he rounded the bases, pumping his fist and screaming at the top of his lungs, the Metrodome was indescribably loud. The fans chanted "Kirby, Kirby." He was mobbed at home plate.

"It was so loud in the Metrodome, it was like a plane taking off on the runway," Larkin said.

The Twins won Game 7, 1-0, in 10 innings behind a masterful performance by Jack Morris.

"After Game 6, Jack said something like, 'Now it's my turn to do my job; Kirby did his job,'" Larkin said.

It was one of the greatest Game 7s ever played, but it only happened because of what Puckett did in Game 6. It will forever be known simply as the Puckett Game, and no further explanation is needed. It was the night that a team's best player, and team leader, played his best, and his best was as great as the World Series has ever seen.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » March 7th, 2006, 1:23 am

I didnt know that Kirby gained so much weight. When he was in his prime at 5'8" he weight 225, but he looked about 300 in a clip I saw on ESPN.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » March 7th, 2006, 2:07 am

A sad sad day for baseball, and sports fans in general. Regardless of what he did outside of baseball and after he retired, he was a great sportsmen and a terrific ball player. I'm glad I had the pleasure of watching Kirby play live. He'll truely be missed.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » March 7th, 2006, 12:41 pm

me personally being a diehard twinkies fan it hit the organization big time..rip the big homey kirby

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » March 7th, 2006, 12:43 pm

[quote="alonso"]I didnt know that Kirby gained so much weight. When he was in his prime at 5'8" he weight 225, but he looked about 300 in a clip I saw on ESPN.[/quote]

after kirby got glocoma & lost his family he retired & pretty much gave up on his health & life

2 tall

Unread post by 2 tall » March 13th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Much love n respect to the family n friends of Kirby Pucket.

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » March 14th, 2006, 7:04 pm

i'll only have one thought of KIRBY "THe MAn who mashed up cars with his BAT"

2 tall

Unread post by 2 tall » March 14th, 2006, 8:38 pm

North Face wrote:i'll only have one thought of KIRBY "THe MAn who mashed up cars with his BAT"
Are you talking about his anger problem?Never knew he had one.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 15th, 2006, 4:28 am

Qdawg wrote:
alonso wrote:I didnt know that Kirby gained so much weight. When he was in his prime at 5'8" he weight 225, but he looked about 300 in a clip I saw on ESPN.
after kirby got glocoma & lost his family he retired & pretty much gave up on his health & life
how did he loose his family?

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » March 15th, 2006, 1:19 pm

[quote="alonso"][quote="Qdawg"][quote="alonso"]I didnt know that Kirby gained so much weight. When he was in his prime at 5'8" he weight 225, but he looked about 300 in a clip I saw on ESPN.[/quote]

after kirby got glocoma & lost his family he retired & pretty much gave up on his health & life[/quote]

how did he loose his family?[/quote]

another female said that they had a affair & his wife & kids left him

2 tall

Unread post by 2 tall » March 21st, 2006, 11:02 am

I have seen an artical relating to this matter.But I don't belive everything I read.I don't know enough to post here,So all I can say now is,May kirby R.I.P....