Downie suspended for 20 games after hit

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Downie suspended for 20 games after hit

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » September 29th, 2007, 2:13 am

NHL suspends Downie for 20 games after hit

Updated Fri. Sep. 28 2007 6:48 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Philadelphia Flyers rookie and former Canadian junior team star Steve Downie has been suspended for 20 games after his hit on Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond.

The National Hockey League handed down its verdict on Friday.

McAmmond had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher after the hit during Tuesday's exhibition game.

There were no broken bones, but McAmmond suffered a concussion and it's the second time he's injured his head.

"Over the last several months, the league has met with players, coaches, general managers and owners on the subject of hits to the head,'' Colin Campbell, the NHL Executive Vice-President and Director of Hockey Operations, said in a statement.

"While all of the stakeholders in our league agree that hitting is an important part of the essence of the NHL game, all were also unanimous in the belief that where a player deliberately targets an opponent's head, the conduct should be subject to review and the possible assessment of supplemental discipline.''

The Canadian Press reports that McAmmond agrees with the NHL's tough stand.

"I feel the ruling is strong enough to prevent these things from happening in the future,'' he said. "At this point, the NHL needs to a make a statement to try to protect players, and I hope that a suspension of this length will do that successfully.''

TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie said the suspension is a step forward when it comes to dealing with unwarranted and dangerous hits in the sport. He said he has been calling for the league to get serious about head shots for the past year.

"But in my wildest dreams, I didn't expect a 20-game suspension" he told CTV Newsnet, adding he's "not saying it's not deserved."

Downie apologized for his actions on the ice, but said he was just doing his best to get a place on the team.

"I didn't mean to hurt him and I hope he's OK," he told reporters Tuesday. "My game's to hit and to finish the check. I'm just trying to earn a spot on the roster. It's part of my game and I apologize for him getting hurt.

Downie received a match penalty, meaning he was automatically suspended indefinitely pending a review.

If Downie is cut by his team, he will have to serve the suspension when he returns to the NHL.

In a phone call, Downie formally apologized to McAmmond, who first suffered a concussion last June when he was hit by Anaheim Ducks defenceman Chris Pronger in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » September 29th, 2007, 2:15 am

I know its hockey and all but damn.
Look at the muhfucca head spin, hit the side then countinue to spin to finish 360.
I play football so that shit just makes me laugh and scream "HIT STICK"

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » October 3rd, 2007, 12:41 am

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:I know its hockey and all but damn.
Look at the muhfucca head spin, hit the side then countinue to spin to finish 360.

Wassup Philly? You know most of the dudes on here ain't with' hockey. I ain't heard nobody even mention hockey since I moved to LA. I don't really like it as a sport either, but I was raised in West Philly, so just being from the City I know about the Flyers.

That hit was fucked up though. Dude left his feet and when the other dudes head spun it hit the boards. That shit was like instant Rigor Mortis set in. That was crazy.

BTW, I was home about 2 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years. Shit is fucked up ALL over the place. I walked into a shootout in a bar on CITY LINE AVENUE!!!

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » October 3rd, 2007, 1:00 am

creativemind wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:I know its hockey and all but damn.

Wassup Philly? You know most of the dudes on here ain't with' hockey. I ain't heard nobody even mention hockey since I moved to LA. I don't really like it as a sport either, but I was raised in West Philly, so just being from the City I know about the Flyers.

That hit was #%@& up though. Dude left his feet and when the other dudes head spun it hit the boards. That shit was like instant Rigor Mortis set in. That was crazy.

BTW, I was home about 2 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years. Shit is #%@& up ALL over the place. I walked into a shootout in a bar on CITY LINE AVENUE!!!
Yeah operation safe streets ain't really workin out too well.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » October 3rd, 2007, 9:47 am

Ah he knocked the ish outta dude. And they are fighting on top of dude and hes just sliding across the ice. Thats wild. I dont watch hockey but Ive never heard of any hit that bad or saw one in the next days headlines.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 am

LcBwC wrote:Ah he knocked the ish outta dude. And they are fighting on top of dude and hes just sliding across the ice. Thats wild. I dont watch hockey but Ive never heard of any hit that bad or saw one in the next days headlines.
Haha, a hit like that isn't common, but it's not unheard of either. The best hits are the clean ones. I myself am a huge hockey fan and like creative said there doesn't seem to be a hockey following at all on here. I feel bad for those in California. You have some great teams there, and some great young talent and no one really follows it there. I'm game if anyone wants to chat hockey. :)

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » October 3rd, 2007, 1:34 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:
LcBwC wrote:Ah he knocked the ish outta dude. And they are fighting on top of dude and hes just sliding across the ice. Thats wild. I dont watch hockey but Ive never heard of any hit that bad or saw one in the next days headlines.
Haha, a hit like that isn't common, but it's not unheard of either. The best hits are the clean ones. I myself am a huge hockey fan and like creative said there doesn't seem to be a hockey following at all on here. I feel bad for those in California. You have some great teams there, and some great young talent and no one really follows it there. I'm game if anyone wants to chat hockey. :)
It was a tough hit, but at least it was a check. Remember when Marty McSorley skate up behind Donald Brashear and hit him in the head with his stick. THAT was f*cked up!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h-sSoF40e30

If that shit had happened on the street he'd be looking at time for an assault charge.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » October 3rd, 2007, 3:06 pm

creativemind wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
It was a tough hit, but at least it was a check. Remember when Marty McSorley skate up behind Donald Brashear and hit him in the head with his stick. THAT was f*cked up!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h-sSoF40e30

If that shit had happened on the street he'd be looking at time for an assault charge.
He actually did face an assault charge. He was found guilty of assault with a weapon. There's black marks on hockey like there is any other sport but I don't think that should overshadow an amazingly fast, and fun sport.