Canelo Alvarez v Austin Trout - April 20, 2013 in Texas

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Canelo Alvarez v Austin Trout - April 20, 2013 in Texas

Unread post by alexalonso » March 11th, 2013, 4:56 pm

WBC SUPER WELTERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION

CANELO ALVAREZ AND WBA SUPER WELTERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION

AUSTIN TROUT VISIT TEXAS FOR A TWO-DAY PRESS TOUR TO OFFICIALLY

ANNOUNCE THEIR WBC AND WBA SUPER WELTERWEIGHT

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP UNIFICATION ON SATURDAY, APRIL 20

AT THE ALAMODOME IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS WHICH

WILL BE TELEVISED LIVE ON SHOWTIME®

WHO: CANELO ALVAREZ, WBC Super Welterweight Champion

AUSTIN TROUT, WBA Super Welterweight World Champion

OSCAR DE LA HOYA, President of Golden Boy Promotions

JESSE JAMES LEIJA, Former Two-Time World Champion & Texas Boxing Legend

WHAT: WBC Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout will visit three Texas cities on a two-day press tour to officially announce their WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Championship Unification bout set for Saturday, April 20 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas which will be televised live on SHOWTIME.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Canelo Alvarez v Austin Trout - April 20, 2013 in Texas

Unread post by oso1 » March 12th, 2013, 8:58 pm

I'm curious, what does Jesse James Leija have to do with this fight?

I'm going to ask this question again, if Alvarez vs Trout goes the distance and even if it looks like Trout won, do you think the judges will rob him?

Reason why I ask is, Golden Boy Promotions has invested a lot of money in Saul Alvarez.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 13th, 2013, 1:25 am

oso1 wrote:I'm curious, what does Jesse James Leija have to do with this fight?

I'm going to ask this question again, if Alvarez vs Trout goes the distance and even if it looks like Trout won, do you think the judges will rob him?

Reason why I ask is, Golden Boy Promotions has invested a lot of money in Saul Alvarez.
this was a press release for a press conference they were having to promote the fight, and I think Leija is from Texas, so maybe they just invited him to help promote.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 13th, 2013, 8:47 am

If it goes the distance and looks close Alvarez gets the decision. Golden Boy cannot allow their future star to lose. All boxing analysts feel that this is a fight that will lead to the winner facing Floyd in September. Overall, everyone wants a Floyd vs. Alvarez fight, but Trout is not a pushover. Again, this reminds me of the Hopkins v. Trinidad fight. Trout is a smart slick fighter and will be trouble for Alvarez.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 13th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Even before the fight happens, I'm willing to say that if the bout goes all 12 rounds and Trout looks to be the clear winner, I think he will get robbed.

Remember what happened to Paulie Malinaggi when he fought Juan Diaz?

In order for Paulie to get a fair chance, he wanted a certain size ring, some out of town judges, and a particular ref. Golden Boy agreed to all his demands, but just before the fight, everything was changed.

He (Paulie) knew what was going to happen. He called it before the fight started.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm

With that new Showtime deal with Floyd and now Golden Boy moving over too, I don't see how Alvarez can lose this fight. Trout is going to have to knock this boy out. No way in hell Trout wins a decision now. September/October will be Alvarez vs. Mayweather. Showtime now has all of the big names from Middleweight to Lightweight to work with.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 20th, 2013, 9:23 pm

For those that didn't see the fight already, I don't want to spoil the outcome of the fight. I thought it was an entertaining fight. For those who watched the fight what did you think?

kings
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kings » April 21st, 2013, 9:28 am

Canelo had the power in this fight though I think trout came back after getting knocked down in the 7th round. I hate how after the 4 th round and 8 round the judges give the scorecard so the last round canelo already knew he won.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 22nd, 2013, 9:27 am

What I expected....a win for Alvarez. The knockdown was a surprise but so was Alvarez getting so tired in the fight. Trout didn't have enough power to really hurt Alvarez and all the show boating and decent defense by Canelo made Trout look bad. As I wrote before, there was no way that Canelo could lose this fight with that Showtime deal in place.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 22nd, 2013, 9:57 am

actually anyone can lose if yo u take the judges out of the equasion and knock your oponent out

I expected a lil more out of Canelo

once you have your oponent wobbled - when he dropped Trout in the 7th - your supposed to finish him off

he didnt do that...

i "think" he might have slowed up the pace on purpose to punish Trout a lil more for beating his older brother

kinda like when Chavez punished Macho Camacho...

When you know a fighter can hurt you

You’re supposed to take more chances … I don’t know why Canelo didn’t throw more punches

Sure the KO was impressive … but he could of done more

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 22nd, 2013, 10:08 am

* cant hurt you

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 22nd, 2013, 11:32 am

i didnt see the fight yet, but these scores look confusing:
Alvarez receiving winning scores of 115-112, 116-111 and 118-109 to beat Trout, from Las Cruces, N.M.
from ESPN:
Trout was the more active fighter, connecting on 154 of 769 punches compared to 124 of 431, but Alvarez landed 43 percent of his power punches compared to 27 percent for Trout.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 22nd, 2013, 11:55 am

They were in San Antonio....right across the border...Canelo was a HEAVY crowd favorite so every punch was glorified by the crowds noise.

Showtime just grabbed all of Golden Boy....Canelo is the new "Golden Boy" in that promotion.

Trout was hurt a few times and Canelo showed that he had the goods....not dominant, but he had the harder shots. Canelo dropped him in the 7th...clean right shot to the chin and Trout was doing the Harlem Shake....like Martinez said though, Canelo should have finished him and didn't.

Trout was a better boxer, but not by much...he kept his jab going and smothered him when he thought he was going to get hit...in some cases he showed that Canelo is young and needs more experience, but Canelo proved that he had defense and could box. He made Trout miss alot and that made Trout look bad.

I don't buy that punishment for my brother shit....he was tired in a few of those rounds...you could see it...he was showing out, but he was also getting hit and looked off with those wild rights.

Good fight for Canelo and Golden Boy...don't think he is ready for Mayweather yet, but Money has to get by the Ghost clean before that even is really discussed.

Canelo clearly won the fight...the judges cards were lopsided and off but he definitely won it.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 22nd, 2013, 2:52 pm

Coup wrote:
I don't buy that punishment for my brother shit....he was tired in a few of those rounds...you could see it...he was showing out, but he was also getting hit and looked off with those wild rights.
I don't buy it either. The first round it wasn't til the middle of the round that Alvarez finally threw a punch.The 12 th round, Alvarez just coasted while Trout was forcing the action. And there some rounds where Alvarez was making Trout miss but didn't make him pay for his mistakes. So how is this making Trout pay for his brother?

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 22nd, 2013, 3:01 pm

re-read my original post:

"i "think" he might have..."

just a theory... you vatos are running with that like if i said "thats gospel

i couldnt explain to myself as im watching the fight, why the fuck Canelo wasnt more aggresive when he knew he had more power and he knew couldnt hurt him, he should went for broke,

thats my opinion

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 22nd, 2013, 4:35 pm

You say gospel....can I get an Amen from the choir!! :mrgreen:

I get what you were saying....that revenge for my brother shit was motivation for Canelo. He won but didn't look great doing it. Trout came in and got surprised...Canelo boxed, moved well....he is not a volume puncher and did not use his jab much but when he hit him, Trout felt it. He should have KOed Trout and didn't. Most of my Mexican homies were disappointed by that too...felt he should have put a period on that shit.

Canelo may need another fight before Mayweather.....and now thinking back Money probably won't fight this dude....Canelo came in weighing 171lbs...that is too big for Money.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 23rd, 2013, 4:46 am

MARTINEZ wrote:re-read my original post:

"i "think" he might have..."

just a theory... you vatos are running with that like if i said "thats gospel
I understand, I was just explaining why it didn't add up to me, because Alvarez wasn't busy enough, he wasn't applying pressure as if he wanted to punish Trout. Just a friendly debate that's all.

Overall Alvarez did a very good job. He needs to work on his endurance, increase his punch rate, and throwing punches off his defensive moves. This was a good fight for him, i'm sure he learned a lot.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 23rd, 2013, 4:54 am

Coup wrote:You say gospel....can I get an Amen from the choir!! :mrgreen:

I get what you were saying....that revenge for my brother shit was motivation for Canelo. He won but didn't look great doing it. Trout came in and got surprised...Canelo boxed, moved well....he is not a volume puncher and did not use his jab much but when he hit him, Trout felt it. He should have KOed Trout and didn't. Most of my Mexican homies were disappointed by that too...felt he should have put a period on that shit.

Canelo may need another fight before Mayweather....
.and now thinking back Money probably won't fight this dude....Canelo came in weighing 171lbs...that is too big for Money.
Alvarez @171, that's a big weight advantage. When Floyd fights @ Jr. Middle, I think he weighs in around 152?

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 6:28 am

ok

the Reverand ~ Martinez is in the building, mothafuckas! :mrgreen:

(holy ghost shuffle entrance....... )

since we're on friendly debate

as a true boxing aficionado ~ i've always leaned way more towards effective aggression - thats just how I see things

anybody here remember ~ Meldrick Taylor vs Julio Cesar Chavez I ?

If you go strickly on the olympic or 10 must points system, Taylor was easily winning that fight cus he was punching a Lott more...

however - the more effective power shots and those that have a eye for this ~

Chavez rocked Taylor many times, punished him with sick body shots but Taylor did a great job of playing it off

like "that was nothing" -

going to the hospital right after being KO'd & pissing blood for days after the fight proved it was something

but during the fight TAylor responded by putting together barrages of quick punches everytime Chavez cracked him

so even tho Taylor was winning - on points; no denying that

but Chavez was inflictining way more damage and thats what was able to set up the KO in the 12th round

Feel me

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 23rd, 2013, 8:43 am

True, but 3-5 seconds to stop it before the bell was what got everybody pissy...Taylor was boxing the shit out of Chavez and even though Chavez was putting the hammer on him, Taylor was easily winning and you could see that.

Same could be said about De La Hoya vs. Trinadad 1. Oscar took the last 2-3 rounds off and lost because of it. He was winning on points, out boxing Trinadad, but Tito was more aggressive and you could see it. It was karma from my viewpoint since Oscar did the same to Sweet Pea when they fought.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 10:21 am

True, but 3-5 seconds to stop it before the bell was what got everybody pissy...”

Ok - but referee Richard Steel (black guy) asked Taylor at least twice if he was ok?… no response!

that’s cus he was seeing birds flying around his head

referee Richard Steel stated – correctly by the way - his job as a ref is to protect the fighters at all times,

his concern is not with the time, rounds or seconds … none of that … his only job – is to protect the fighters

And he did right… he had a fighter that was non responsive to simple questions

Same could be said about De La Hoya vs. Trinidad 1. Oscar took the last 2-3 rounds off and lost because of it. He was winning on points, out boxing Trinidad, but Tito was more aggressive and you could see it…”/

Oh… man, don’t get me started on this one

This is the where I personally lost respect for DelaHoya as fighter

You can’t be from EAST LOS and run just cus your corner told you “your winning” :x

I would have rather seen him get knocked out ...but stand his ground …

or just keep doing what he was doing for the first 8 rounds … Out punching and out boxing Trinidad!

Did you know that he lost a Lott of his hard core Mexican fan base based on that BS he pulled that day?

All the white folks still loved him – he brought the gold in the Olympics for the USA - but the hard core Chicanos/Mexicans lost respect for him over that fight

Yeah delaHoya still should have won on points… but most mexicans didn’t give a fuck, cus he ran /back peddled

Trinidad went on to become a fuck'n legend in the ring and one of my favorite fighters

easily....One of the best finsihers in the sport!

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 23rd, 2013, 10:36 am

oso1 wrote:

Canelo may need another fight before Mayweather....
.and now thinking back Money probably won't fight this dude....Canelo came in weighing 171lbs...that is too big for Money.
Alvarez @171, that's a big weight advantage. When Floyd fights @ Jr. Middle, I think he weighs in around 152?
Yeah, 171 is too much. I don't see the fight happening unless he tries and trick Canelo to drop to 147. Even then, Canelo is too big.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 23rd, 2013, 10:40 am

MARTINEZ wrote:True, but 3-5 seconds to stop it before the bell was what got everybody pissy...”

Ok - but referee Richard Steel (black guy) asked Taylor at least twice if he was ok?… no response!

that’s cus he was seeing birds flying around his head

referee Richard Steel stated – correctly by the way - his job as a ref is to protect the fighters at all times,

his concern is not with the time, rounds or seconds … none of that … his only job – is to protect the fighters

And he did right… he had a fighter that was non responsive to simple questions

Same could be said about De La Hoya vs. Trinidad 1. Oscar took the last 2-3 rounds off and lost because of it. He was winning on points, out boxing Trinidad, but Tito was more aggressive and you could see it…”/

Oh… man, don’t get me started on this one

This is the where I personally lost respect for DelaHoya as fighter

You can’t be from EAST LOS and run just cus your corner told you “your winning” :x

I would have rather seen him get knocked out ...but stand his ground …

or just keep doing what he was doing for the first 8 rounds … Out punching and out boxing Trinidad!

Did you know that he lost a Lott of his hard core Mexican fan base based on that BS he pulled that day?

All the white folks still loved him – he brought the gold in the Olympics for the USA - but the hard core Chicanos/Mexicans lost respect for him over that fight

Yeah delaHoya still should have won on points… but most mexicans didn’t give a fuck, cus he ran /back peddled

Trinidad went on to become a fuck'n legend in the ring and one of my favorite fighters

easily....One of the best finsihers in the sport!
But you know that Chavez was already a legend...Taylor was slick and by the time the last round came around, he was "boxing" on instinct. I can't knock the call by Steele (even though that mothafucka was in King's pocket) but 3-5 seconds.....Shiiiiiiitttt.

Oscar lost all Chicanos after that and I thought the Chavez fight? Alot of people said he was too busy being a pretty boy and not wanting to get bruised up...it looked like he got a few back when he beat Vargas...whooped his ass.

Tito was one of my favorites too....dude never should have fought Hopkins.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 11:15 am

yup...

it didnt sit well with many Mexicans that delaHoya beat up on "El Gran Campeon' Mexicano"

beleive it or not, despite Vargas super arrogant attitude, i liked him cus he had balls

perhaps way more balls than brains

i blame his managers...yeah, he was the youngest champion ever when he won the belt, i think from Yori Boy Campas...

but you dont throw a young champ in the ring with a legend and pound for pound Boxer for the last 10 years - Tito Trinidad

Trinidad welcome him to the Major League of Putasos in the 1st round... sent Vargas reeling across the ring

he showed heard by coming back

even dropping Trnindad in the middle rounds i think

but ultimately "the pride of Puerto Rico" had his number

Vargas was too green - imo - for Trinidad at that time... fuck his whole career up

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 11:49 am

* Vargas showed heart ^

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 23rd, 2013, 1:02 pm

I can't stand De La Hoya or Vargas. I think the only reason why Oscar agreed to fight Fernando, was because he knew he was damaged goods. Reasons why I don't like DLH, he didn't give Whitaker, Sturm, and Quartey a rematch. Watch whole vid but pay attention @ 6:00

Since it was brought up that Oscar is/was from East Los, didn't he grow up in Marianna?

Vargas was fed to Tito (cashed out) by his manager because he was a loose cannon. He was getting into trouble in the streets.

Richard steele was 100% correct for stopping the fight. Taylor did not respond in time because he was distracted by his manager Lou Duva(was Vargas manager too), who was shouting instructions at him. This was revealed in a documentary called Legendary Nights.Pay attention @ 21:15 of the video.

I personally don't have a problem with Oscar coasting the last few rounds against Trinidad. To me, he clearly won that fight.
And I can understand others who dislike him for not standing his ground and fighting more. But what about Alvarez in the in the last round against Trout?

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

good shit, Oso ^^

i'll touch on the rest of what you posted as time permits,

but i'll touch on this now "Since it was brought up that Oscar is/was from East Los, didn't he grow up in Marianna?"

yes - he grew up in MMV hood... but he never ever banged

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 23rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

Bear1

Vargas was the anti-De La Hoya....always with bitches...drunk by 10am...shit talker. He just wasn't ready for Tito and he got his ass beat...bad.

Coasting is one thing.....Oscar was damn near running from Tito at the end of their fight...should Oscar have won on points..yes, but like Martinez the aggressive fighter will usually get the edge.

I completely agree about Canelo & Trout but the odds were against Trout. He needed a knockout regardless of the scorecard. No way was he going to get a decision in SA against Canelo.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 23rd, 2013, 7:21 pm

Did Trout ever hurt Canelo, even a little bit. Did he get in any punches that caused Canelo to back peddle or retreat?

kings
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kings » April 23rd, 2013, 10:35 pm

Trout threw alot of jabs but no power punches Canelo had the power in this match and no doubt won match with trout

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » April 24th, 2013, 6:40 am

alexalonso wrote:Did Trout ever hurt Canelo, even a little bit. Did he get in any punches that caused Canelo to back peddle or retreat?
i dont recall seeing anytime where Trout hurt Canelo

he was busier, but didnt have enough steam to make Canelo stop in his tracks

again - all the more reason im suprised Canelo didnt try and make a bigger statement & end with at least a stoppage (TKO)

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 24th, 2013, 7:25 am

alexalonso wrote:
Did Trout ever hurt Canelo, even a little bit.
No.
Did he get in any punches that caused Canelo to back peddle or retreat?
There were times where Trout was walking Alvarez down, but not because he hurt him. Even the ShowTime broadcasters brought that up. My guess, Alvarez was taking a breather or he was trying to catch Trout coming in with a counter.