Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Manny "Pacman" Pacquio

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Manny "Pacman" Pacquio

Unread post by Coup » February 20th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Looks like they are going to do it.

Got Mayweather by unanimous decision.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Money vs. Pacman

Unread post by oso1 » February 20th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Coup wrote:Looks like they are going to do it.

Got Mayweather by unanimous decision.

Aww Coup, you beat me to it!

It’s on! Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight finally set
By George WillisFebruary 20, 2015 |
It’s on! Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight finally set

George Willis
What All-Star Game taught us about future of the NBA
Jersey boy Kyrie Irving could make Sunday his Garden party
The ultimate tease: Examining LeBron James' NY fawning
NBA legend Tiny Archibald gives kids secret to hoops success
How Phil Jackson's first miscue has spiraled out of control
Finally!
After years of stalled negotiations, Floyd Mayweather has agreed to fight Manny Pacquiao on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
“I promised the fans we would get this done and we did,” Mayweather said on Friday. “We will make history on May 2. Don’t miss it.”
Mayweather’s announcement ended weeks of negotiations and speculation on whether the fight between the unbeaten Mayweather and the eight-division champion Pacquiao would even take place. They first tried to meet in 2010, but talks broke down over drug testing procedures. Since then, every attempt to get the two in the ring had been stalled for various reasons.
But discussions became real after Pacquiao defeated Long Island longshot Chris Algieri last November in Macau, then publicly challenged Mayweather afterward.
“I am very happy that Floyd Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years,” Pacquiao said. “They have waited long enough and they deserve it.”
Negotiations were complicated by the fact Mayweather has an exclusive contract with Showtime, while HBO has rights to Pacquiao. The networks reached a compromise to the point of holding a joint conference call late Friday.
“Everyone involved, including Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao knows this fight simply had to happen,” Showtime general manager Stephen Espinoza said. “All of us are thrilled to be able to deliver this event to boxing fans around the world.”
Ken Hershman of HBO said: “Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather have been the two most prominent fighters in the sport of boxing for the past decade and fight fans around the world have been clamoring for them to face each other. Now on May 2 in what everyone believes will be the biggest boxing event of all time, fight fans have been granted their wish. May 2 will be a signature moment for the sport of boxing and HBO Sports is thrilled to be a part of this spectacular event.”
Rumors were rampant in recent days that both fighters had signed the contract and all parties were waiting for Mayweather to confirm the agreement and announce the fight. At this point, the fans can’t be blamed for being a bit turned off by the whole thing. With speculation the PPV price could be as much as $100 and tickets to the actual fight starting at four figures, the average fight fan could be priced out of the market. At this juncture, most of the promotion likely will take place on social media, with Mayweather said to be involved with a new app that will be featured in some form or fashion.
A lot is being taken for granted when it comes to Mayweather-Pacquiao. It’s assumed it will be the richest fight in boxing history. It’s assumed it will be competitive and be worth paying $100 for the pay-per-view, though Espinoza said the PPV price “has not yet been decided.” It’s assumed it will go global and take boxing into the mainstream. But so far, it has only exposed what hurts the sport: egos, greed, and endless haggling.
“What this shows is that everybody was truly motivated and cooperated in making concessions,” Hershman said. “That’s the sign of a fair deal. Everyone compromised at the right time. That’s a credit to Floyd and Manny that they pushed their respective teams and networks to get this done.”

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Money vs. Pacman

Unread post by Quepolo3 » February 21st, 2015, 3:44 pm

Mayweather- Unanimous Decision

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Manny "Pacman" Pacquio

Unread post by alexalonso » March 2nd, 2015, 12:39 am

It does not seem as exciting as it was a few years ago. But since they have not knocked out anyone in several years, I predict a KO. I think Floyd KOd Victor Ortiz last and Manny its been a few years, but there will be some fireworks.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 3rd, 2015, 3:54 pm

I don't think this fight lives up to the hype. Manny's best chances to hurt Floyd is going to take place between the 1st and 5th round of their fight. After that, I think Floyd finds his range and is able to gauge Manny's speed and will slowly but surely break Manny down and win via unanimous decision. I'll even be bold enough to say that Roach stops the fight.

In order for Manny to win, in my opinion, he has to take the fight to Floyd. In this video you'll see that after Mosley is dropped, he starts to move to his left (counter clockwise) to avoid Manny's left hand. Manny is so anxious to land that left hand that he overextends. You can see a lot of times that his rear foot is completely off the floor, and that's when Mayweather with a longer reach and speed can counter him.

I'll add more with comparisons to Juan Manuel Marquez soon.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 3rd, 2015, 4:00 pm

@Oso1- Your analysis is better than Larry Merchants'. I think you're absolutely right, and I think that Floyd's ability to counter punch and make adjustments will be the difference.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 3rd, 2015, 4:13 pm

I don't see Manny winning this unless he gets a lucky shot on Floyd....even then Floyd has been hit and can take a punch. Floyd is going to embarrass Manny...no other way of looking at it right now.

Here is the thing though....With all of the money being made on this fight....how can they make a rematch make sense? After this, there is nobody for Floyd to fight...nobody that he would want to fight. His deal with Showtime is up in September so who will be the last big payday?? Floyd by unanimous decision....

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 3rd, 2015, 9:56 pm

I want to correct myself, Mosley moves to his left in a clockwise direction. @0:20 you'll notice that Pac is reaching with his rear hand and causing him to be off balance. Look at his left foot, it's off the ground.

@0:25 of the video, you'll see JMM step back and then step to his left causing Pac to reach with his rear hand. Marquez takes advantage and fires off a 3 punch combination.

@1:11 slo mo, you'll see JMM pulling straight back (like Mosley) getting caught. Pac is fast when moving forward. After the 3rd knock down JMM starts to move back then clockwise but still not able to avoid Pac's punches. He stays too close trying to keep himself in punching rage to counter. @2:47 JMM spins out to his left keeping pac in front of him then fires off another combo. @3:17 here comes Pac in a straight line, and JMM moves back then steps to his left again making pac turn to reset. @4:24 pac moves forward and JMM steps out to his left then throws his right hand. The remaining part of the video you get the idea. JMM move to his left while throwing punches.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 5th, 2015, 1:33 am

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/ ... -partners/

Freddie Roach: Haymon is Blocking Manny’s Sparring Partners
by Robert Littal | Posted on Wednesday, March 4th, 2015

This is more funny than anything else.

Roach seems a little annoyed in this quote via Boxing Scene.

“I’m hiring sparring partners, Al Haymon’s people calls them up and offers more money for them not to come. [But] I’m not worried about those guys,” said Roach to ABS-CBN News. “We got four really good sparring partners for Manny for this fight, Mayweather look-alikes.

“We started our game plan five years ago but we changed it a little bit. Definitely there will be some adjustments. I’m confident that we’ll win the fight and this will be the biggest fight night of all our lives. The guy is undefeated, he’s a very good boxer and he’s the most talented fighter we’ll ever face. He’s tricky also… he’s intelligent as a fighter. I believe we need to fight the perfect fight.”

Curious what this masterplan will be.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 5th, 2015, 10:12 am

He is going after Mayweather Sr. in interviews as well. Comparing him to Roger saying that he has more respect and admiration for Roger than Sr. He thinks Sr. has no real game planning or ability to adjust. Roach is playing the game since it seems that Manny and Floyd have shown a good respect for each other.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm

floyd looks much bigger
Attachments
010_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg
010_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg (284.8 KiB) Viewed 7264 times
011_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg
011_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg (285.97 KiB) Viewed 7264 times
016_Manny_Pacquiao_and_Floyd_Mayweather-op.jpg
016_Manny_Pacquiao_and_Floyd_Mayweather-op.jpg (393.42 KiB) Viewed 7264 times
017_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg
017_Floyd_Mayweather_and_Manny_Pacquiao-op.jpg (348.87 KiB) Viewed 7264 times
018_Group_Shot-op.jpg
018_Group_Shot-op.jpg (306.79 KiB) Viewed 7264 times

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 14th, 2015, 7:38 pm

I see that Leonard Ellerbe is back with the money team. I hear that Raphael Garcia (cutman) will be back in Mayweather's corner too.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 15th, 2015, 2:13 pm

oso1 wrote:I see that Leonard Ellerbe is back with the money team. I hear that Raphael Garcia (cutman) will be back in Mayweather's corner too.
I didnt know Ellerbe even left. what happened ?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 15th, 2015, 10:17 pm

@1 wrote:
oso1 wrote:I see that Leonard Ellerbe is back with the money team. I hear that Raphael Garcia (cutman) will be back in Mayweather's corner too.
I didnt know Ellerbe even left. what happened ?
From what I remember, without Floyd's permission, Ellerbe put both of Mayweather's titles(147 & 154) on the line when he fought Maidana.

Also, Ellerbe failed to get all of Floyds family members (some of his children) seated in one location to view his fight against Maidana.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 15th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Any wild predictions?

Pacquiao was robbed in his first fight against Timothy Bradley.

De La Hoya was robbed when he fought Trinidad.

In my opinion, Marquez was robbed when he fought Pacquiao 3.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 15th, 2015, 11:50 pm

cant bet againt Floyd, sure he'll find a way to out point Manny

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 16th, 2015, 9:15 am

At best I can see a draw...at best. Mayweather is always too prepared to lose to Pacquio. It could be a long night for Pacman.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 21st, 2015, 6:52 pm

http://www.viroole.com/freddie-roach-sa ... ayweather/

Freddie Roach Says Pacquiao is a better boxer than Mayweather Viroole Staff 1 Day Ago

Widely popular American boxing trainer Freddie Roach said his favorite ward Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacman Pacquiao is a better boxer than undefeated American boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Roach said Mayweather might be undefeated but he lacked the proper skills in professional boxing unlike Pacquiao. The Hall-of-Fame trainer said Mayweather do not have a formal trainer to teach him how to box properly since his father and uncle are both fighting on the boxing ring while growing up.

roach

“He grew up in the ring. He grew up with his uncle (Roger Mayweather) and his dad fighting, but he just became a fighter
naturally,” said Roach. “He is self-made. But the thing is, he’s never really had anyone teach him how to really box.

He said in his training camp with Pacquiao he is teaching him how to avoid traps that Mayweather might use in their bout. Roach is very confident that Pacquiao will beat Mayweather on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas since he is a better boxer than the American.

He said Mayweather’s skills have been affected by age and Pacquiao will take full advantage of it in their scheduled bout. Boxing fans and experts are all clamoring for a Pacquiao-Mayweather bout since the two are considered as two of the best boxers in the world today.

In the world of professional boxing Pacquiao is known for his speed and power and Mayweather for his head and shoulder defense.

WOW! Freddie must be on something if truly believes what he said.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 22nd, 2015, 5:36 am

Roach is Crazy as hell!!

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Unread post by bumperjack » March 22nd, 2015, 7:24 am

Roach has been a great trainer.But his opinion is far from the truth "Pacman" has a "chance" just like all the others did that were not "victorious" I truly believe also maybe "Pac man" is his better or Best opponent yet...

I believe Money Mayweather is the more skilled boxer of the too.Roger Mayweather was a good featherweight fighter.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 26th, 2015, 9:58 am

Just read that Money and Pacman will hit over $100mil for this fight....not sure how this will turn out, but I taking bets that if nobody is embarrassed there will be a rematch in September. I'm calling that shit now 8)

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » March 26th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Coup... your taking all bets... but you got Money Mayweather... and I personally don't see Pacman being victourious... so good luck getting any takers on Pacman.

It will be money's better opponent as they have been a fight in the making for sum time that went south years back.

Pacman has been defeated in the past Money Mayweather has not...

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 6th, 2015, 4:05 am

Floyd Mayweather now has strength and conditioning coach, Alex Ariza in his camp. As you can see in the video, Ariza has added swimming to Floyds training regimen.

In all the videos that I'VE SEEN Floyd training, this is the first time that Floyd has hit the the heavy bag and the guy (nate?) with the body protector with power and speed. The guy who wears the body protector said in an old interview, that Floyd hit him so hard that he pissed blood the next day. Mayweathers arms look pretty big too.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 6th, 2015, 4:28 am

Quepolo3 wrote:@Oso1- Your analysis is better than Larry Merchants'.
Thank you, but it's just my opinion. He (Pac) is so gifted with speed, power, and reflexes that he can get away with those error's. I also want to add that who Pac is matched up against has made a big difference too. Catchweight, suspension, coming of a loss and in Brandon Rios's case, moving up a weight class to fight Manny that he has never fought at before.
Not that it really mattered, Rios is not that good of a fighter to beat Pacquiao, but the weight increase did make pac look good. Roach knows what he's doing, and that's to have an advantage over his opponent.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » April 6th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Oso1... good commentary... :lol: :lol: I agree with your point of view.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 9th, 2015, 9:25 am

oso1 wrote:
Quepolo3 wrote:@Oso1- Your analysis is better than Larry Merchants'.
Thank you, but it's just my opinion. He (Pac) is so gifted with speed, power, and reflexes that he can get away with those error's. I also want to add that who Pac is matched up against has made a big difference too. Catchweight, suspension, coming of a loss and in Brandon Rios's case, moving up a weight class to fight Manny that he has never fought at before.
Not that it really mattered, Rios is not that good of a fighter to beat Pacquiao, but the weight increase did make pac look good. Roach knows what he's doing, and that's to have an advantage over his opponent.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 9th, 2015, 5:25 pm

LOL @ the video!

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » April 10th, 2015, 3:25 pm

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 16th, 2015, 2:47 pm

its going to be a draw so they can make the money again. thats clever Hulk Hogan.

I dont see anyone being able to KO the other in this fight. Pacman will be trying to hit, but will be missing and landing. Floyd will land some while boxing, and I see a real boring match. will they stand in the center of the ring and slug it out? Floyd is definitely not going to do that.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » April 16th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Judah and people around Floyd's camp say he is definitely hitting with more power. I agree, it will have moments of excitement and end with a decision for Floyd, but I stand by a rematch in September if nobody is dominated. Floyd is a much better boxer and Pacquio is a harder puncher. Floyd's skill should let him cruise to a decision.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » April 19th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Today someone made a video with the same views that I, and many other's have on Manny Pacquiao. In the video Nazeem Richardson, Mosley's coach, is claiming that he gave the blue print on how to beat Pacquiao. I call BS on that! Juan Manuel Marquez was the first to expose Pacquiao's flaw's.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 20th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Presser

Subject: 147-Pound Weight Class Takes Center Stage Again For FloydMayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Super Fight

147-POUND WEIGHT CLASS TAKES CENTER STAGE AGAIN ON SATURDAY, MAY 2 AT THE MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA

Floyd Mayweather & Manny Pacquiao Square Off In Another Classic Showdown

In The Welterweight Division

LAS VEGAS (April 20, 2015) -- It has often been said that “as the heavyweight division goes, so goes boxing,” but that has not always been the case and, in fact, might not even be valid when viewed from a comprehensive perspective dating back to the late 19th century. In Boxing, German author Bertram Job’s epic, 420-page coffee-table dissertation on all aspects of the sweet science, he writes that, “Elegance is the trademark of the slim and nimble stars in the under 147-pound weight class that has attracted insiders and admirers of beauty like no other.”

And so it is with what will be another benchmark entry in the rich history of the division when, on May 2 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, live on pay-per-view, welterweight champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs) takes on fellow titlist Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) in a long-anticipated unification showdown that will be the richest prizefight in the sport’s history, and which has drawn comparisons to some of the premier matchups in a weight class imprinted with that elegant trademark to which Job referred.

Although Pacquiao, the only fighter ever to win world championships in eight weight classes, and Mayweather, who has reigned in five weight classes, have not campaigned solely or even mostly as welterweights, it is hardly a surprise that the most important intersection of their remarkable careers comes in the same division for which so many of boxing’s greatest legends are primarily known.

The “gold standard” to which all welterweights aspire remains the late, great Sugar Ray Robinson. Born Walker Smith Jr., the skinny kid who had never fought in a sanctioned bout at any level was a tag-along with coach George Gainford to an amateur tournament in Kingston, N.Y. Asked if he had a flyweight he wished to enter, Gainford was about to say no when Smith tugged on his sleeve and said, “I’ll fight.” As it turned out, Gainford had an AAU card – you needed one to be certified as a non-professional – in the name of Ray Robinson, one of his boxers who had given up the sport. Smith/Robinson won a four-round decision, and, although no one knew it then, thus was a legend born.

Robinson was 85-0 as an amateur before turning pro at 19 in 1940. By 1951, he was 128-1-2 with 84 knockout victories. Although he is also remembered for winning the middleweight title five times, Robinson never lost as a welterweight, winning so often and so emphatically that the legendary trainer, Eddie Futch, was moved to observe that, “He had everything. Boxing skills, punching power, a great chin, mental strength. There was nothing he couldn’t do.”

Robinson also had an outsized ego, which perhaps is a necessary component to any great fighter’s mental makeup. Even a trace of doubt in one’s own ability is not conducive to success in the ring. Once, when asked about his “golf game,” Muhammad Ali, who didn’t play golf, responded, “I’m the best, greatest of ’em all. I just haven’t played yet.”

Mayweather certainly brings that aura of invincibility to his work, and maybe not just because he has yet to lose as a professional. In 2013, he said, “Of course I feel unbeatable. I’m the best. I’m not going into any fight figuring that I’m beatable. I want to make a legacy for myself as the greatest fighter who ever entered the ring.”

Pacquiao, while perhaps not as verbose, is no less secure in his own belief system. It is those heaping measures of talent and swagger that make Mayweather vs. Pacquiao a must-see event. Which of these outstanding fighters can make the other bend to his will? Who will have his name written in larger print in the big book of welterweights?

The International Boxing Hall of Fame has inducted 23 fighters who were, at one time or another, welterweight champions. In addition to Robinson, those whose plaques grace the hallowed hall include Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Julio Cesar Chavez, Pernell Whitaker, Carmen Basilio, Henry Armstrong, Emile Griffith, Pipino Cuevas, Jose Napoles, Curtis Cokes, Barney Ross, Kid Gavilan, Wilfred Benitez, Luis Rodriguez, Mickey Walker, Fritzie Zivic, Jack Britton, Jackie Fields, Ted “Kid” Lewis and “Mysterious” Billy Smith. Mayweather and Pacquiao are of course assured of joining their ranks as soon as they become eligible to go onto the ballot.

The lead-up to Mayweather vs. Pacquiao has generated no shortage of comparisons to past welterweight clashes that are notable for the classic nature of those bouts, the widespread public interest attendant to them, or both.

Is Mayweather vs. Pacquiao more likely to be a repeat of, say, Leonard-Duran I, which Duran won on a rousing unanimous decision on June 25, 1980, in Montreal? The epic Leonard-Hearns I, on Sept. 16, 1981, which saw Leonard, trailing on the scorecards, rally for a dramatic, 14th-round TKO at Caesars Palace? Trinidad’s controversial majority decision over De La Hoya in their Sept. 18, 1999, unification showdown at the Mandalay Bay? Or will it make its own mark in such a distinctive way that no comparisons can or should be drawn?

When it comes to unforgettable welterweight bouts, by now it should be obvious that anything and everything is possible. Mayweather and Pacquiao will make history, and add to it, by attempting to bend destiny each to their own purpose.

# # #

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is a 12-round welterweight world championship unification bout promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank Inc., and is sponsored by Tecate. The pay-per-view telecast will be co-produced and co-distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View® and SHOWTIME PPV® beginning at 9 p.m. ET/ 6 p.m. PT.

For more information visit http://www.mayweatherpromotions.com, http://www.toprank.com, http://www.SHO.com/Sports, http://www.hbo.com/boxing and http://www.mgmgrand.com and follow on Twitter at @floydmayweather, @MannyPacquiao @mayweatherpromo, @TRBoxing, @SHOSports, @HBOboxing and @Swanson_Comm, and become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FloydMayweather, http://www.facebook.com/TopRankMannyPacquiao http://www.facebook.com/MayweatherPromotions, http://www.facebook.com/TRBoxing, http://www.facebook.com/SHOsports and http://www.facebook.com/HBOBoxing.