ISLANDERS in the NFL

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4166
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

ISLANDERS in the NFL

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 17th, 2005, 11:04 am

Pacific Islanders are growing in numbers in the NFL and are covering more and more positions.

They come from American Samoa High School & Hawaii, but you also got the Tongans, Fijians, Guamanians & the "illegal Samoans."

Will they be eventually taking over the sport from Blacks?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » October 17th, 2005, 11:26 am

i dont know why people are blowing up islanders playing in the sport. the NFL has always had a really mixed racial background, and almost every team has its diversity. today especially, you can find any race playing any position. and because of this diversity the "best" race of players in the sport won't ever be determined. so i dont know what you mean by "taking it over from blacks".

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4166
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 17th, 2005, 5:10 pm

Well don't take it the wrong way, but you must agree that the NFL is for all intents and purpose "dominated" by Blacks - with Whites coming in second and everyone else a "distant" third.
I see this having a lot to to with "phisical" attributes of which others have a lack of. But now I see this Bad Boys from The Islands coming in strong and that is why I asked the question.

As usual, words come out wrong when I post and I should of used more prudence. But you all are Big Boys and I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from without taking offense at my lack of penmanship.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 76
Joined: February 2nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

Unread post by Red Kelly » October 18th, 2005, 6:20 am

The Rock hosted a special on ESPN about this and I also read an article online. The article quoted an estimate that a Samoan player is 40 times more likely to reach the NFL than a player of another race. I don't know what statistical formula they use to come up with this. Samoans probably won't take over but they do have physical traits, toughness, and determination that definitely help them excel at certain positions.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2079
Joined: March 18th, 2004, 12:22 pm
What city do you live in now?: New York City
Location: L.A. to Brooklyn, NY

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 18th, 2005, 7:41 am

Who was the first Islander in the NFL?

Was it Seau, or was he just the first star player?

As far as Islanders in the sport, I feel maybe they'll come to a more equal level in the game as others, but I don't see American Football being predominantly Pacific Islander. Certain positions (especially the line and also line-backers) seem to draw Pacific Islanders, but as far as seeing a Samoan quarterback or tailback, I can't imagine that.

Black Top
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 123
Joined: May 24th, 2005, 8:28 am
Location: VA/28 South

Unread post by Black Top » October 18th, 2005, 12:11 pm

Anything is possible but, I doubt that. Can't lie though, them big muthafuckas.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » October 18th, 2005, 12:30 pm

lonewolf wrote:Well don't take it the wrong way, but you must agree that the NFL is for all intents and purpose "dominated" by Blacks - with Whites coming in second and everyone else a "distant" third.
I see this having a lot to to with "phisical" attributes of which others have a lack of. But now I see this Bad Boys from The Islands coming in strong and that is why I asked the question.

As usual, words come out wrong when I post and I should of used more prudence. But you all are Big Boys and I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from without taking offense at my lack of penmanship.
the NFL is mostly black, true. i get what your saying, and i didn't exactly mean about you. im talking about everyone saying "samoans going to own the NFL" ect. but none of the samoans except junior saeu, and kevin mawae, and troy palamaolu really stick out as great players. i havent seen one that can compete like peyton manning, terrel owens, moss, carson palmer, ect yet. im sure there will be some in the future, but to say they will dominate is far out to me. the number will probably increase, but they wont go all out and take over.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 76
Joined: February 2nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

Unread post by Red Kelly » October 18th, 2005, 7:35 pm

The first islander was a guy named Al Lolotai who played for the Redskins in 1945. I don't know any info about his career but he was mentioned in the article.

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4166
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 18th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Red Kelly wrote:The Rock hosted a special on ESPN about this and I also read an article online. The article quoted an estimate that a Samoan player is 40 times more likely to reach the NFL than a player of another race. I don't know what statistical formula they use to come up with this. Samoans probably won't take over but they do have physical traits, toughness, and determination that definitely help them excel at certain positions.
I think the math goes something like this v v v v

For each 8,000 Islanders in the U.S. "1" makes it to the pro's.

Considering that there is only about 200,000 Islanders in the U.S.
then that is a "BIG" percentage in compare to other "ethnic groups."

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4166
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 18th, 2005, 9:19 pm

Cold Bear wrote:...but as far as seeing a Samoan quarterback or tailback, I can't imagine that.
The RAIDERS already have a QB (a backup, but QB nevertheless).

bayarearep
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 596
Joined: March 5th, 2004, 2:00 am
Country: Afghanistan
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: USA
Location: Ca
Contact:

Unread post by bayarearep » October 18th, 2005, 10:09 pm

and as far as tailbacks
man i when i was in high school
the best running games in the program, were always tongan and samoan dominated schools
rip Tony Talua he was a hard running back and got killed his senior year

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2079
Joined: March 18th, 2004, 12:22 pm
What city do you live in now?: New York City
Location: L.A. to Brooklyn, NY

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 19th, 2005, 7:06 am

lonewolf wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:...but as far as seeing a Samoan quarterback or tailback, I can't imagine that.
The RAIDERS already have a QB (a backup, but QB nevertheless).
That's a trip. I'll look into that one. It's funny the stereotype of the QB position is definitely white. Obviously there's Vick and McNabb. But also with the Cornerback, Wide Receiver and also running back positions, those are stereotypically Black.

It's not that I don't see those positions being taken by Islanders in the future, it's just that those position have been pioneered for so long by other ethnic groups, that I can't see the WHOLE field being Islander. [it would be kinda crazy to see that though]

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2079
Joined: March 18th, 2004, 12:22 pm
What city do you live in now?: New York City
Location: L.A. to Brooklyn, NY

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 19th, 2005, 7:08 am

bayarearep wrote:and as far as tailbacks
man i when i was in high school
the best running games in the program, were always tongan and samoan dominated schools
You know what you're right, LB Poly is a good example of that.

User avatar
$outh$ide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 194
Joined: July 27th, 2004, 12:25 am
Location: Sydney,Aus

Unread post by $outh$ide » October 27th, 2005, 10:02 pm

wot is chris Fuamatu Ma'Afla

bayarearep
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 596
Joined: March 5th, 2004, 2:00 am
Country: Afghanistan
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: USA
Location: Ca
Contact:

Unread post by bayarearep » October 27th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Cold Bear wrote:
bayarearep wrote:and as far as tailbacks
man i when i was in high school
the best running games in the program, were always tongan and samoan dominated schools
You know what you're right, LB Poly is a good example of that.
word
rip cuzz to Tony Talua a real Samoan Rip Rider
he woulda tore shit up in college

Post Reply

Return to “All Sports Talk”