What did Jeremiah Wright Say?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

What did Jeremiah Wright Say?

Unread post by alexalonso » March 26th, 2008, 7:58 pm

The media has been ridiculing Jeremiah Wright for saying racist and anti-American comments, but I havnet had a chance to listen to any. Can someone write what it was he said that got people hopping mad.?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » March 26th, 2008, 9:35 pm

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost." -Pastor Wright

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme." -Pastor Wright

now let me see if I can dig up a vid.

I guess those are the things FOX is bitching about and saying is racist.

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » March 26th, 2008, 10:08 pm

He didnt say anything racist he spoke on the government and the institutionalized ways the United States has. He spoke up for Blacks and Women.

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: What did Jeremiah Wright Say?

Unread post by clipse » March 27th, 2008, 11:53 am

alexalonso wrote:The media has been ridiculing Jeremiah Wright for saying racist and anti-American comments, but I havnet had a chance to listen to any. Can someone write what it was he said that got people hopping mad.?

What got the white people 'hopping mad'? The truth, as usual.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 27th, 2008, 1:34 pm

He used what was supposed to be a pastor's pulpit as a political bully pulpit is what I heard. Instead of messages about how to live life in a manner pleasing to Creator God via the revelation of Jesus Christ, he chose to deliver false political messages accusing the country of just about everything under the sun and then damn it to hell using God as the authority for that. Obviously this makes for press that sells but it completely misses the mark for a Christian minister committed to bringing Jesus and his message to the masses. At the least, he's as guilty as Moses striking the rock out of anger because of the rebellion he saw in God's people.. at worst he's usurped the pulpit and turned it into a bully pulpit to spread his own personal brand of hate attracting like minded people to him. Jesus has nothing to do with any of that and imo he'll have to answer to Jesus for what he did if he don't repent from it.

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » March 27th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Old Shatterhand wrote:he chose to deliver false political messages accusing the country of just about everything under the sun

Can you breakdown with facts on these "false political messages" he preached about and the behavior shown toward Black people that many can identify with that he preached about?

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 2nd, 2008, 5:28 pm

Sure. There are many of them and they are freely available via the internet. Honestly an entire book could be written simply correcting his false assertions.

Here's one at random:

"Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run. No black man will ever be considered for president, no matter how hard you run, Jesse Jackson, and no black woman can ever be considered for anything outside what she can give with her body." -2006

^This is a false political message. There is an ever increasing number of 'black people' (a classification) these days that have the opportunity to run for public office across the board including being considered for President. If I'm not mistaken (and I am not), the Democratic nominee for President this year (one of the good Revs parishioners) is permitted to identify as black (e.g. African American rather than bi-racial)* via his Kenyan father and also exactly what he has done. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=17958438

So can the good rev be correct when the Democratic nominee for the Office of the President of the United States will be a self-declared African American black man this year?

Let's look at another example:

Not only was Colin Powell, the 65th United States Secretary of State (e.g. 4th in line of succession and order of precedence for the office of President by the way). Colin Powell's experience in military matters made him a very popular figure with both American political parties. Many Democrats admired his moderate stance on military matters, while many Republicans saw him as a great asset associated with the successes of past Republican administrations. Powell eventually declared himself a Republican, and began to campaign for Republican candidates. He was touted as a possible opponent of Bill Clinton in the 1996 U.S. Presidential Election. Powell declined.. meaning he could have accepted and been a serious candidate. I think there was a point at which Ms Rice could have made a run as well.

As for all black women (the rev's word choice was all inclusive meaning all in his estimation) having to use their bodies to ever be considered for anything desirable is ridiculous. I've worked for a black woman before as my manager and she wasn't using her body to get or keep her job I assure you. She was a good manager and there are a great number of black women that work meaningful positions of practically every level of responsibility including the highest levels of business and government today.

The times they are a changing and the good rev made his inaccurate statement in the midst of them. So not only does he have a really big mouth but he states inaccurate assertions.

*I won't argue endlessly about the relevancy of the U.S. census defining a black as a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa including people who indicate their race as "Black, African Am., or Negro," or who provide written entries such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian and why mixed race individuals may identify themselves as black if they want to. The fact they were once forced to under the one drop rule is imo another discussion.
clipse wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:he chose to deliver false political messages accusing the country of just about everything under the sun
Can you breakdown with facts on these "false political messages" he preached about and the behavior shown toward Black people that many can identify with that he preached about?

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » May 12th, 2008, 2:30 am

Old Shatterhand wrote:He used what was supposed to be a pastor's pulpit as a political bully pulpit is what I heard. Instead of messages about how to live life in a manner pleasing to Creator God via the revelation of Jesus Christ, he chose to deliver false political messages accusing the country of just about everything under the sun and then damn it to hell using God as the authority for that. Obviously this makes for press that sells but it completely misses the mark for a Christian minister committed to bringing Jesus and his message to the masses. At the least, he's as guilty as Moses striking the rock out of anger because of the rebellion he saw in God's people.. at worst he's usurped the pulpit and turned it into a bully pulpit to spread his own personal brand of hate attracting like minded people to him. Jesus has nothing to do with any of that and imo he'll have to answer to Jesus for what he did if he don't repent from it.
nothing was false about the man's message. The problem was the message in itself. The pulpit is not a stage for a personal political agenda.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 23rd, 2008, 1:10 am

Although I rarely do, I am going to have to agree with Al Sharpton on Rev Wright based on the interview with Greta from FOX News.