how many african americans practice AFRICAN RELIGIONS ?

Religion is probably the biggest divider in world history, but for those that believe in God it is central to our existence. Share your views.
FAVELA9
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: san diego

how many african americans practice AFRICAN RELIGIONS ?

Unread post by FAVELA9 » February 19th, 2011, 11:53 am

?

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: how many african americans practice AFRICAN RELIGIONS ?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 12th, 2011, 1:28 pm

None! What are the African religions? That aspect of our native country has been removed from our people back during slavery and its gone.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key

Unread post by ViciousRidah » March 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm

It depends, on what you would call African religions there are many off shots of religions in the African American community especially among the pro black militants. Some practice what they perceive to be African religions but really most do not know what they are doing since they were not fully immersed or taught the indigenous religious African practices and traditions.

Religions like Santeria,Candomble and Obeah have made there way to America amongst the Afro-Latinos and Afro -Caribs, they have spread to some urban communities in very menial and small amounts,but they are there.

There is also Louisiana voodoo ,which would make it an offshoot of an African religion.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » March 14th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:None! What are the African religions? That aspect of our native country has been removed from our people back during slavery and its gone.
I'm not an expert on these religious matters, but I know there's many traditional religions still alive in many places in Africa. Of course the Christianity is the biggest religion along with the Islam, but there's still people who practise the old beliefs. And many times the Christianity/Islam in mixed with the old African beliefs.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » March 14th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:None! What are the African religions? That aspect of our native country has been removed from our people back during slavery and its gone.
I'm not an expert on these religious matters, but I know there's many traditional religions still alive in many places in Africa. Of course the Christianity is the biggest religion along with the Islam, but there's still people who practise the old beliefs. And many times the Christianity/Islam in mixed with the old African beliefs.

FAVELA9
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: san diego

Unread post by FAVELA9 » March 16th, 2011, 12:13 pm

so the afro latinos practice the old culture more than an african american would.

Scooby318
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Kentucky
What city do you live in now?: Shreveport

Unread post by Scooby318 » March 16th, 2011, 4:51 pm

I wanna say very few.

Since so many come to the States either practicing Christianity or Islam.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ViciousRidah » March 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm

What you have too understand is that they are new religious followings amongst African Americans that attempt to revive the old African traditions like the Kemetics and Moors ,but since they no too little about authentic African tradition the end by products of these religions end up being far fetched.

5% Percenter Nation and Zulu would probably even see themselves as African religions ,but they are really clueless when it comes to it.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 17th, 2011, 5:09 pm

ViciousRidah wrote:What you have too understand is that they are new religious followings amongst African Americans that attempt to revive the old African traditions like the Kemetics and Moors ,but since they no too little about authentic African tradition the end by products of these religions end up being far fetched.

5% Percenter Nation and Zulu would probably even see themselves as African religions ,but they are really clueless when it comes to it.
@ViciousRidah- See you have dropped some knowledge, because I have never heard of Kemetics. Now I've heard of the Moors, but not really familiar with them in relation to religion. What about the black Isrealites? I remember those brothers standing in front of Leimert Park giving sermons. Is that considered traditional Judaism or is that based on some African form of Judaism?

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ViciousRidah » March 17th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:
@ViciousRidah- See you have dropped some knowledge, because I have never heard of Kemetics. Now I've heard of the Moors, but not really familiar with them in relation to religion. What about the black Isrealites? I remember those brothers standing in front of Leimert Park giving sermons. Is that considered traditional Judaism or is that based on some African form of Judaism?
Quepolo LOL, I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea .The Kemetics in my eyes are another confused group of pro blacks who are conceiving many of its far fetched ideologies out of thin air . Many of them are former members of 5% nation, another group who have just broken down teachings off another misguided group the Nation of Islam(NOI).

The black Hebrew Israelites,LMAO yes I've seen their sermons but their really all comedy to me, no it is not considered traditional Judaism in no way. The whole tidbit with them is that they don't consider contemporary Jews the authentic Jews,yet they also talk about going to Israel and preaching in the so called ''Holy Land''.I think they also were stamped by some synagogue I don't know ,smh, but their full of it.The thing about the Black Hebrew Israealites is that they don't consider themselves African or from the Motherland, they actually scrutinize the ties to Africa.Ask them which ethnic groups today are the 12 lost tribes of Israel. :lol:

The Moors is something I don't deal with either they like to say they were already here in America,and go off the teachings of Noble Drew Ali, its all confusion we don't need in the hood.

But they are real solid pro black organizations out there who involve themselves in spirituality side of Africaness,it shouldn't be hard to find them were your at or where you from, I mean local made stuff at least some of em.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 19th, 2011, 10:14 am

@ ViciousRidah- Appreciate that insight bruh. I always felt that way about the Black Hebrew Isrealites, just on their presentation alone. However I could never really get an idea on how they came up with thier ideology.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 17th, 2011, 1:20 pm

most blacks believe in Baptist or Methodist because of their southern roots. The AME church is big in the black community, African Methodist Episcopal, but you have to pay money to be a member.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » May 17th, 2011, 4:22 pm

alexalonso wrote:most blacks believe in Baptist or Methodist because of their southern roots. The AME church is big in the black community, African Methodist Episcopal, but you have to pay money to be a member.
You also see alot of C.O.G.I.C.- Church of God in Christ. West Angeles, Potters House, and the Late Bishop Patterson's church in Memphis, I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure that this particular denomination identifies primarily with African Americans. I'm not saying that other races aren't welcome, but you see this particular denomination mostly in black communities.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 18th, 2011, 12:04 pm

ViciousRidah wrote:What you have too understand is that they are new religious followings amongst African Americans that attempt to revive the old African traditions like the Kemetics and Moors ,but since they no too little about authentic African tradition the end by products of these religions end up being far fetched.

I became cool with a Black author who espouses Kemetic beliefs a couple weeks ago. He got in a huge argument with some Southern Black Christian type on a bus ride down to VA. Through discourse it was revealed that the Christian brother was pretty similar to a lot of southern Black Christians in being EXTREMELY close-minded and condescending but also having a persecution complex when confronted with those of another faith. Kemetic brother basically just recognizes that the Jesus story has been told many many times, the one which he 'believes' if only for political reasons to identify with a religion that Blacks / Africans practiced (supposedly) pre-slavery, is the one of Horus. My Latin homeboy is moderating and repeatedly saying "Yall are basically saying the SAME THING" but the Christian dude didn't want to hear it b/c of the initial flippancy of the Kemetic dude, proud of not 'praying to the White man's god'. Hey I can dig it. I don't understand why more Blacks don't stop eating up whatever their preacher's tell them and question Christianity. I think Christianity is great and has deep roots in American Black history so it's not that it's 'the white man's religion' per se I just don't see the problem with exploring Islam, or any of the other alternative religions, be it Baha'i or whatever else.

Zulu Nation espouses beliefs but it's not a religion necessarily. I have interacted with plenty Zulus. It's an organization more than anything and people find in it what they're looking for. It played it's function on reducing gang violence on the streets of New York at one point. Far as Five Percenters I get hit up by them all the time around my way cause I used to wear a pin that looked like their Universal Flag. You can find a lot of Latinos and Asians joining and while it's Black dominated I wouldn't say they would call it an African religion

Then you got Botanicas that are Latin owned and dominated but sell elekes which are undoubtedly African. In puerto rico I bought a picture for a friend that was revealed later to be Mama Wata. If you want to google that that's a diety that goes way back to Africa but is accepted by Caribbean Latinos.

Black Israelites are buffoons and basically all they do is 'cut ass' clown whoever comes into their cipher. It's all mental tricks or shouting down and strength in numbers and the appearance of being an authority by quoting the bible. Their 12 tribes of Israel is pretty laughable

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ViciousRidah » May 19th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Cold Bear wrote:
I became cool with a Black author who espouses Kemetic beliefs a couple weeks ago. He got in a huge argument with some Southern Black Christian type on a bus ride down to VA. Through discourse it was revealed that the Christian brother was pretty similar to a lot of southern Black Christians in being EXTREMELY close-minded and condescending but also having a persecution complex when confronted with those of another faith. Kemetic brother basically just recognizes that the Jesus story has been told many many times, the one which he 'believes' if only for political reasons to identify with a religion that Blacks / Africans practiced (supposedly) pre-slavery, is the one of Horus. My Latin homeboy is moderating and repeatedly saying "Yall are basically saying the SAME THING" but the Christian dude didn't want to hear it b/c of the initial flippancy of the Kemetic dude, proud of not 'praying to the White man's god'. Hey I can dig it. I don't understand why more Blacks don't stop eating up whatever their preacher's tell them and question Christianity. I think Christianity is great and has deep roots in American Black history so it's not that it's 'the white man's religion' per se

I am far from being a christian,I have long ago strayed away from Christianity and put down the faith, but this is due to MY OWN RESEARCH, in fact Kemetic teachings have actually ignited my faiths even further at the time because I felt most Kemetics hate Christ as an attempt to spite this white man's Christianity.

I did not renounce Christianity due to Kemetics, moors, or 5% ,Not for any new jack black militant group for that matter,I just don't feel Kemetics explain why Christianity and Islam have their flaws and are a farce in my eyes.

Also I never was a Christian to take everything with sincerity, the thing is people use religion as a social tool and just get caught in the wave of the religious teachings and religious concepts without fully grasping the ideas.I was never an okey doke Christian follower there were many teachings that I collided and had problems with.

The thing is the Kemetics don't have a full understanding of the Egyptian religion.
Cold Bear wrote:
I just don't see the problem with exploring Islam, or any of the other alternative religions, be it Baha'i or whatever else.
Kemetics shun Islam, I really don't see it much different from Christianity, despite its strict religious practices, but the fact is many stories in Islam is based on Christianity ,so to me its really some what of distortion of Christianity and something broken off from that religion.

I also don't see a problem with following after other religions like Baha'i either, but Kemetics believe you should not follow after non-African religions.
Cold Bear wrote: Zulu Nation espouses beliefs but it's not a religion necessarily. I have interacted with plenty Zulus. It's an organization more than anything and people find in it what they're looking for. It played it's function on reducing gang violence on the streets of New York at one point.
Yea I understand Zulu reducing gang violence, but just because it has a positive impact initially doesn't mean its good, for example Rastafaris have initially started off good in the garrisons of Jamaica, but there have been numerous amount of rastas involved fol in crime. Of coursemost of them(Rastas) aren't criminals but they have polarized a stereotype.

Rastafaris also have caused a riff between Ethiopian Tewahedo adherents ,when Rastas could of just got the real Tewehedo faith straight from the horses mouth.And really bridge the gap between Africans in the diaspora and on the continent.

Cold Bear wrote: Far as Five Percenters I get hit up by them all the time around my way cause I used to wear a pin that looked like their Universal Flag. You can find a lot of Latinos and Asians joining and while it's Black dominated I wouldn't say they would call it an African religion
Right its not an African religion at all ,but its definitely afro centric since they believe the black man is GOD.

But 5% are a religion that is bitten of the Nation of Islam which is viewed as a cheap imitation of Sunni Islam .

Cold Bear wrote: Then you got Botanicas that are Latin owned and dominated but sell elekes which are undoubtedly African. In puerto rico I bought a picture for a friend that was revealed later to be Mama Wata. If you want to google that that's a diety that goes way back to Africa but is accepted by Caribbean Latinos.
Oh alright sounds cool.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 28th, 2011, 12:07 am

the overwhelming majority of Black Americans in the US are Baptists Christians

warhawk90028

Unread post by warhawk90028 » January 7th, 2014, 9:05 pm

I am Kemetic. And i have been since 1989 ( at 16). Studying our

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 12th, 2014, 1:35 am

most African religions have an element of paganism that goes against many of the values of christianity, islam, and judaism.

Return to “Religious Thought”