Top ten signs you're a Fundamentalist Christian

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
SWblocks-Veteran
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Houston

Unread post by SWblocks-Veteran » July 19th, 2005, 4:24 pm

lonewolf wrote:
SWblocks-Veteran wrote:Im 26 and I have been searching for the truth for a while now. Whenever I have been ready for something in my life, God has put it there for me so Im pretty sure when he wants to reveal which faith is the road to him he will set it on my doorstep. No matter what faith I do choose however I still will believe organized religion is an evil thing ans mis-used daily for the wrong means.
Just don't confuse "organized religion" with Christian fundamental teachings. 2 different things alltogether. Fundamentals of the Christian faith "are not" the 10 points that you put forward.
But the majority of Christians belong to organized religion. So of course their are Christians that those things dont apply to, but there is an overwhelming majority that they do apply to.

We have MANY Churches in Houston that seat over 10,000 ppl. The Summit/Compaq Center were the Houston rockets used to play before they moved to the Toyota Center, is currently owned by I believe Lakewood Church. That building sits anywhere from 20-30,000 if not more, and it is completely full when Sunday rolls around. And there are many more places of this magnitude in Houston and every other large city in America.....

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 19th, 2005, 8:46 pm

15k! That's pretty crazy. My assembly has about 300 and that fits me just about right.

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem

Unread post by TarHeelRED » July 20th, 2005, 11:32 pm

I just want 2 commend Kemosave and Lonewolf and anybody else who professes the truth and 4 the TRUTHFUL contributions being made 2 this website. Y'all illuminate and elucidate points and disputes 2 an immense degree. Y'all do it with precision too. It's good 2 see folk who want 2 deter other folk from ways that are defiled and squalid in the eyes of GOD and are trying 2 induce them 2 get on the ONLY RIGHTEOUS path and that's JESUS CHRIST. Remember y'all there is only 1 righteous and just TRUTH. Anything other than the truth is false, defilement, and deception. Y'all take care.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 20th, 2005, 11:38 pm

That's right TarHeelRed. Aim high and work for those goals brother. May God bless you in every way with peace and meaning.

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem

Unread post by TarHeelRED » July 20th, 2005, 11:48 pm

Thanks alot buddy!!

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 21st, 2005, 7:40 am

TarHeelRED wrote:I just want 2 commend Kemosave and Lonewolf and anybody else who professes the truth and 4 the TRUTHFUL contributions being made 2 this website. Y'all illuminate and elucidate points and disputes 2 an immense degree. Y'all do it with precision too. It's good 2 see folk who want 2 deter other folk from ways that are defiled and squalid in the eyes of GOD and are trying 2 induce them 2 get on the ONLY RIGHTEOUS path and that's JESUS CHRIST. Remember y'all there is only 1 righteous and just TRUTH. Anything other than the truth is false, defilement, and deception. Y'all take care.
This is exactly the type of thinking I have an issue with. Just pray to your god and do your thing. Go to Church on Sunday, raise your child in your faith, believe what you want. I'm not ever going to speak against what YOU do. No need to get high and mighty, telling me the way I may (I highlight MAY - you don't know that for certain) think is 'squalid and defiled'. We live in the 21st Century, lets use our logic and common sense to guide our spirituality. Narrowmindedness is the cause of many problems in the world today, to the extent that the only solution will be to kill the other man off.

SWblocks-Veteran
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SWblocks-Veteran » July 21st, 2005, 8:47 am

Cold Bear wrote:
TarHeelRED wrote:I just want 2 commend Kemosave and Lonewolf and anybody else who professes the truth and 4 the TRUTHFUL contributions being made 2 this website. Y'all illuminate and elucidate points and disputes 2 an immense degree. Y'all do it with precision too. It's good 2 see folk who want 2 deter other folk from ways that are defiled and squalid in the eyes of GOD and are trying 2 induce them 2 get on the ONLY RIGHTEOUS path and that's JESUS CHRIST. Remember y'all there is only 1 righteous and just TRUTH. Anything other than the truth is false, defilement, and deception. Y'all take care.
This is exactly the type of thinking I have an issue with. Just pray to your god and do your thing. Go to Church on Sunday, raise your child in your faith, believe what you want. I'm not ever going to speak against what YOU do. No need to get high and mighty, telling me the way I may (I highlight MAY - you don't know that for certain) think is 'squalid and defiled'. We live in the 21st Century, lets use our logic and common sense to guide our spirituality. Narrowmindedness is the cause of many problems in the world today, to the extent that the only solution will be to kill the other man off.
Could'nt have said it better. This is exactly what I was talking about and a perfect example has blessed the thread. Lonewolf u see what Im talking about. Too many Christians playing judge and jury instead of leaving that to the Almighty. Dont judge me thats God's job and whos to say any of you are living any more righteous than I am???

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » July 21st, 2005, 1:42 pm

TarHeelRED wrote: It's good 2 see folk who want 2 deter other folk from ways that are defiled and squalid in the eyes of GOD and are trying 2 induce them 2 get on the ONLY RIGHTEOUS path and that's JESUS CHRIST.
it is quite "blasphemic" to claim to know what god sees through his eyes.
Only he himself knows the truth and NO man on earth ever.
Every person who claims that he KNOWS about God is a liar.
Thats why it is called "belief" and not "knowledge".

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 21st, 2005, 9:47 pm

Computer rebooted unexpectedly. Please see post below.
Last edited by Kemosave on July 22nd, 2005, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 21st, 2005, 10:43 pm

SWblocks-Veteran wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:
Could'nt have said it better. This is exactly what I was talking about and a perfect example has blessed the thread. Lonewolf u see what Im talking about. Too many Christians playing judge and jury instead of leaving that to the Almighty. Dont judge me thats God's job and whos to say any of you are living any more righteous than I am???
but by you making this thread you are not letting people do their own thinh.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 21st, 2005, 11:54 pm

Well it certainly is not that when God Almighty reveals Himself and expresses His revelation purposefully to his crowining creation. Honestly, understanding what that revelation is certainly is what most of this is all about.

If you want to go the all roads leave to the higher power (even though the belief systems are in total disparate contradictory alignment and cannot be resolved [i.e. the position doesn't work and really is a false one]) because it "feels right" to you and your friends or go the aethist or deist route because it "feels right" even though that is what is truly blasphemous if God really has revealed himself purposefully in a scientifically, theologically, historical etc.. correct way that fits together in truth, then can you do that. I might roll myself in your way out of love but I respect your freewill to make that choice.

And Charlie Manson can choose to be Charlie too for example. One of my best friends was housed between him and the Onion Killer in Cochran. I can't tell you what he was but I can tell you what he is. He'll clue you in as to what's real. He's been saved 13 years, completely clean in everyway (including legally), beat heroin, beat the devil, finished high school, finished his A.A., moving forward to the B.A., married with children, God's soldier in a fallen world 24/7 with legitimate authority running a men's home bringing people to Christ. The Man walks paths we cannot. I've followed him deep into the night in places you and I cannot walk and live. I was saved by him. But you know more than him, myself, and every Christian scholar that ever lived don't you? But do you really? Your credentials please? Hear this from truth and love: You have been given the choice to steer your eternity in that direction if you choose. We all respect your right to make that choice whatever it is even if it is wrong.

And you certainly don't need mine or anyone else's approval to reject God's purposeful revelation if you decide you don't like it. You don't see me asking your permission to feel love, peace, joy, hope, and faith that is for sure in my life despite the manifold problems I have had to overcome and the serious tests life brings me and continues to for over four decades. Here I am still standing and with my head up :).

Now you can believe in the clam god if you like or whatever mythology or occultic deities you choose. You have the right. But you also have to live with the consequences of your choices same as me and everyone else in this world.

And bad news for some of you and good news for others: there really is objective truth. It is not popular today, however, objective truth is very real. And truth is truth regardless of how you feel about it, whether you recognize it, or understand/misunderstand it when you do recognize it, or even choose to accept it (all other things taken in consideration).

Now we all enjoy these discussions right? We like to express ourselves. And that can and I believe should be done in a good way. So love and respect to all truth seekers. Bring what you think you know. We are all in the same boat so to speak here. But you have to PROVE your assertions and your position, against real logical thought out criticism, same as me, us, and everyone else. No pass for you from me unless it is earned. Tearing down everyone else isn't proving anything. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If all you do is wolf, tear others down, and bring poo then please DO poo somewhere else. But if you THINK you have something to add to the discussion in the way of real facts and real truth then bring it. But whatever you do, please DON'T just whine that you like don't the results. Peace.

SWblocks-Veteran
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SWblocks-Veteran » July 22nd, 2005, 7:13 am

se11 wrote:
SWblocks-Veteran wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:
but by you making this thread you are not letting people do their own thinh.
Yes I am, because they have a choice whether to read it or not

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 22nd, 2005, 8:05 am

Kemosave wrote: it "feels right" to you and your friends or go the aethist or deist route because it "feels right"
I am not a athiest. I believe in God, and I think he manifests himself at all times, in all places, not simply in the Christian church, and in the Christian bible. Spirituality can't be put in a book, let's not forget. Can a child read the bible and suddenly be imparted with tremendous wisdom and moral fortitude?.... no. Only a man with experience can see something that is written in the bible as true, as it agrees with what he has found to be true in life. And am I to believe that the same God that was present at Christ's crucifixion was not present in the Middle East, when Mohammed crossed into Medina etc. etc.? Maybe God doesn't kick it amongst the desert people because they're too savage and violent....lol.
Kemosave wrote: even though that is what is truly blasphemous if God really has revealed himself purposefully in a scientifically, theologically, historical etc.. correct way that fits together in truth, then can you do that.
My feeling is that God is an immense power unfathomable, and cares not whether men deny him. The whole aspect of personifying the forces of creation, change, destruction comes from human beings' need to understand these things. It makes it easy for them to grasp by saying God 'cares about you', and is a 'jealous god', and a 'angry god'. God is a force that many can't conceive of without giving him human attributes (neither can I). But we shouldn't do that... it's a weakness.
Kemosave wrote: But you know more than him, myself, and every Christian scholar that ever lived don't you? But do you really? Your credentials please?
State yours. I'm not proselytizing to YOU, am I? Even under the guise of something like this:
Kemosave wrote: Hear this from truth and love: You have been given the choice to steer your eternity in that direction if you choose. We all respect your right to make that choice whatever it is even if it is wrong.
Kemosave wrote: You don't see me asking your permission to feel love, peace, joy, hope, and faith
I would hope not!
Kemosave wrote: Now you can believe in the clam god if you like or whatever mythology or occultic deities you choose.
Wow, the clam god huh? Yeah, I have this tree out on my block that I pray to fervently while chanting. And I also slit pigs throats as a ritual to Apollo. It's funny some people automatically ascribe these weird ideas to non-Christian thought, even if those thoughts weren't weird to begin with.
Kemosave wrote: And bad news for some of you and good news for others: there really is objective truth. It is not popular today, however, objective truth is very real.
It's called science and it's very popular these days. Just my opinion. Belief, Religion, Spirituality, all are not about objectivity, no?

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 22nd, 2005, 10:53 am

Kemo: it "feels right" to you and your friends or go the aethist or deist route because it "feels right"

Bear: I am not a athiest. I believe in God, and I think he manifests himself at all times, in all places, not simply in the Christian church, and in the Christian bible. Spirituality can't be put in a book, let's not forget. Can a child read the bible and suddenly be imparted with tremendous wisdom and moral fortitude?.... no. Only a man with experience can see something that is written in the bible as true, as it agrees with what he has found to be true in life. And am I to believe that the same God that was present at Christ's crucifixion was not present in the Middle East, when Mohammed crossed into Medina etc. etc.? Maybe God doesn't kick it amongst the desert people because they're too savage and violent....lol.

Kemo: Which god do you believe in? What are his characteristics? How do you know what they are or that your definition of god is the correct one? What is your evidence for your assertions? Bring real evidence that I can examine or simply admit that you don't have any. There are different kinds of spirtuality. The spirituality of the occult, for example, is very different than the spirituality found in a Christian assembly such as the one I attend where real born again Christian believers worship God Almighty. That is because they have different sources. It's not all one thing. That can certainly be shown biblically and otherwise. You are speaking like a pantheist. Are you a pantheist?

A child can accept Christ. God did not make it hard to become a Christian. And He did provide revelation that can be empirically examined whether or not you like that. understand that based simply on the design characteristics present in this universe, some very adept mathmaticians that I know from CalTech calculated that on that basis alone God is at least trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions more powerful and intelligent than us. This is an important point. It means the odds of him making even the slightest mistake is what mathmaticians call "statistically zero." He doesn't make mistakes even if his creation does.

And Mohammad, just like everyone else, was able to make choices. If some of those choices were actually inappropriate, and if their is strong historical evidence suggesting that, then you have to respect that. The first part of your argument is wishful thinking and misunderstanding and the last part doesn't respect man's freewill choices which God clearly allows to see who will choose him and who turn. Some of those who turned created their own religions. They are called false religious systems or false belief systems if you like because they aren't true. Most of them are easy to take apart. Peace.

Kemo: even though that is what is truly blasphemous if God really has revealed himself purposefully in a scientifically, theologically, historical etc.. correct way that fits together in truth, then can you do that. [/quote]

Bear: My feeling is that God is an immense power unfathomable, and cares not whether men deny him. The whole aspect of personifying the forces of creation, change, destruction comes from human beings' need to understand these things. It makes it easy for them to grasp by saying God 'cares about you', and is a 'jealous god', and a 'angry god'. God is a force that many can't conceive of without giving him human attributes (neither can I). But you shouldn't do that... it's a weakness.

Kemo: I already have seen the math that God is an immensely powerful and intelligent transcednet Creator; however, he certainly is fathomable. He has revealed himself in his Creation and also in His revelation. Your argument isn't true.

Kemo:But you know more than him, myself, and every Christian scholar that ever lived don't you? But do you really? Your credentials please?

Bear: State yours. I'm not proselytizing to YOU, am I? Even under the guise of something like this:

Kemo: My academic credentials are that I am almost finished with my Master of science degree with an 'A' in every class and looking to the PhD. I also have deeply studied comparative religion and everything surrounding that (and in which I am certified to talk about the subject). Additionally, I can speak on logic, organization of information, and technology because I also have an undergraduate degree there too. But much more important really is that I have lived what I have learned for a long time. There is no guise. I am giving you my opinion and engaging in the discussion from a different frame of reference than you. My frame of reference is not wishful thinking but built on facts. And you can believe whatever you want. Even if it is silly and false and you cannot properly defend it. That is your choice. I certainly am not calling you silly or false. No. But you have freewill and what you say and do has consequences. If I am not impressing you with that fact then life certainly at some point shall. And we all choose to respond here when we do. Nobody makes us.

Kemo: Hear this from truth and love: You have been given the choice to steer your eternity in that direction if you choose. We all respect your right to make that choice whatever it is even if it is wrong. You don't see me asking your permission to feel love, peace, joy, hope, and faith.

I would hope not!

Kemo: Right on and right back at you if you have those things for real in your life and they are built on fact so as to stand the test of time through any hardship.

Kemo: Now you can believe in the clam god if you like or whatever mythology or occultic deities you choose.

Bear: Wow, the clam god huh? Yeah, I have this tree out on my block that I pray to fervently while chanting. And I also slit pigs throats as a ritual to Apollo. It's funny some people automatically ascribe these weird ideas to non-Christian thought, even if those thoughts weren't weird to begin with.

Kemo: I was making a point, there is no real clam god that I am aware of. Some North American Indians teach in their pantheist lore that a clam opened his mouth and humanity walked out and set up a teepee but that clam is not described as an actual deity. Just a little humor really. We can laugh a little right? Anyway, it is not what seems weird really (although sure that can be examined), it is about the proper frame of reference.

Kemo: And bad news for some of you and good news for others: there really is objective truth. It is not popular today, however, objective truth is very real.

Bear: It's called science and it's very popular these days. Just my opinion.

Kemo: I respect that. Science can be very helpful. It certainly has helped me understand reality better. However, science is a work in progress and theories and beliefs change as what we know and can prove increases over time. The truth is where perfect knowledge and understanding connect with reality. Peace.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 22nd, 2005, 12:35 pm

I have felt religious experiences before through Christian churches, but these are buildings and institutions filled with people and symbols, and I treat it as nothing more. Why instill an unreasonable amount of power in them, when they mostly just are a forum for religious experiences? If you know what a Simulacra is, you know that these symbols are highly interchangeable when you factor out psychological attachments their viewers maintain toward them. The symbol comes to represent whatever meaning they simulate.

Take for example the cross -

"The use of the cross as a symbol was condemned by at least one church father of the 3rd century CE because of its Pagan origins. The first appearance of a cross in Christian art is on a Vatican sarcophagus from the mid-5th Century. "

The cross was finally ascribed to Christendom 5 centuries after Christ's death, and had pagan roots. Yet now it is synonymous with Christianity. how could aspects of 'the absolute truth' (Christianity) change over time, unless the absolute truth as you knew it was nothing more than an interpretation of the absolute truth?

Crosses used before Christianity:
" Scandinavia: The Tau cross symbolized the hammer of the God Thor.
Babylon: the cross with a crescent moon was the symbol of their moon deity.
Assyria: the corners of the cross represented the four directions in which the sun shines.
India: In Hinduism, the vertical shaft represents the higher, celestial states of being; the horizontal bar represents the lower, earthly states.
Egypt: The ankh cross (a Tau cross topped by an inverted tear shape) is associated with Maat, their Goddess of Truth. It also represents the sexual union of Isis and Osiris.
Europe: The use of a human effigy on a cross in the form of a scarecrow has been used from ancient times. In prehistoric times, a human would be sacrificed and hung on a cross. The sacrifice would later be chopped to pieces; his blood and pieces of flesh were widely distributed and buried to encourage the crop fertility. "

A cross can mean different things to many different people. but it seems your assumption would be that THEY all 'made the wrong choice' (like Mohammed did). And you didn't. I guess all of those other ancient religions who used the cross were ' silly and false and could not properly defend [they're religions]'.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_symb.htm

And your question: Are you a pantheist?
Well, I guess I am. I don't label myself as such but this is relatively close to the beliefs I have. I have family that is Catholic, Christian, family that is Buddhist, family that is animist, and family that is agnostic, and friends that are muslim, christian, jewish, etc. This is why I don't play favorites.

K: How do you know what they are or that your definition of god is the correct one?
CB: I don't know that. My whole argument is based off that.

K: they are called false religious systems or false belief systems if you like because they aren't true. Most of them are easy to take apart.
CB: Christianity is similarly 'easy to take apart' if you had that inclination. Sure you can stretch the contents of the bible [especially the Old Testament] as much as you want to be scientifically plausible [the most common example of stretching comes from the impossibility of the universe being created in 7 days, so then 'days' becomes a metaphor for millenia, or even just a byproduct of translation from a language where what means days can mean many different things], but that is not the point of religion in the first place. Math and facts can't inspire people the way that beliefs can. So that's what religion is for, I guess.

K: "some very adept mathmaticians that I know from CalTech calculated that on that basis alone God is at least trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions more powerful and intelligent than us"
CB: That's not at all hard to believe. But word, show me the formula for calculating God's intelligence, especially since 'his creation' or the universe is still not all known to us. Where not everybody can even agree on whether an IQ test can be absolute for humans, I'm wondering how scientific data can tell you God's IQ. Just because there are laws that govern the universe, they were not necessarily written in formula... the formulas to calculate the working of the universe (theres what 5 variables?) are mathematical interpretations of natural occurrences. The universe was not necessarily made by a intelligent creator.

K: "he certainly is fathomable. He has revealed himself in his Creation and also in His revelation. Your argument isn't true. "
CB: He as revealed himself in his Creation and in his revelation? Well that's good enough for me. lol While my argument isn't true because I have 'no facts', yours definitely IS because his 'creation' and his 'revelation' have told you so...... this sounds like language devices, similar to "Hear this from truth and love: You have been given the choice to steer your eternity in that direction if you choose. We all respect your right to make that choice whatever it is even if it is wrong." that appeals to sentimental reasoning and presents it as the real objective, cold truth. As far as the universe being "his creation", there is no proof an ACT OF WILL created the universe. There was most likely an event, but that is certainly different from an act of will, which is something, again, that we have personified in God. Making the force that created the universe more human so that we can relate to it - Anthropomorphism:

anthropomorphism (ăn'thrəpōmôr'fĭzəm) [Gr.,=having human form], in religion, conception of divinity as being in human form or having human characteristics. Anthropomorphism also applies to the ascription of human forms or characteristics to the divine spirits of things such as the winds and the rivers, events such as war and death, and abstractions such as love, beauty, strife, and hate. As used by students of religion and anthropology the term is applied to certain systems of religious belief, usually polytheistic. Although some degree of anthropomorphism is characteristic of nearly all polytheistic religions, it is perhaps most widely associated with the Homeric gods and later Greek religion. Anthropomorphic thought is said to have developed from three primary sources: animism, legend, and the need for visual presentation of the gods.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 22nd, 2005, 1:56 pm

Bear: I have felt religious experiences before through Christian churches, but these are buildings and institutions filled with people and symbols, and I treat it as nothing more. Why instill an unreasonable amount of power in them, when they mostly just are a forum for religious experiences? If you know what a Simulacra is, you know that these symbols are highly interchangeable when you factor out psychological attachments their viewers maintain toward them. The symbol comes to represent whatever meaning they simulate.

Take for example the cross -

"The use of the cross as a symbol was condemned by at least one church father of the 3rd century be because of its Pagan origins. The first appearance of a cross in Christian art is on a Vatican sarcophagus from the mid-5th Century. "

The cross was finally ascribed to Christendom 5 centuries after Christ's death, and had pagan roots. Yet now it is synonymous with Christianity. how could aspects of 'the absolute truth' (Christianity) change over time, unless the absolute truth as you knew it was nothing more than an interpretation of the absolute truth?

Crosses used before Christianity:
" Scandinavia: The Tau cross symbolized the hammer of the God Thor.
Babylon: the cross with a crescent moon was the symbol of their moon deity.
Assyria: the corners of the cross represented the four directions in which the sun shines.
India: In Hinduism, the vertical shaft represents the higher, celestial states of being; the horizontal bar represents the lower, earthly states.
Egypt: The ankh cross (a Tau cross topped by an inverted tear shape) is associated with Maat, their Goddess of Truth. It also represents the sexual union of Isis and Osiris.
Europe: The use of a human effigy on a cross in the form of a scarecrow has been used from ancient times. In prehistoric times, a human would be sacrificed and hung on a cross. The sacrifice would later be chopped to pieces; his blood and pieces of flesh were widely distributed and buried to encourage the crop fertility. "

A cross can mean different things to many different people. but it seems your assumption would be that THEY all 'made the wrong choice' (like Mohammed did). And you didn't. I guess all of those other ancient religions who used the cross were ' silly and false and could not properly defend [they're religions]'.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_symb.htm

Kemo: I don't have any symbols on me or in my spot. I'm not orthodox nor do I subscribe spiritual power to icons. If other people choose to that is their choice. I will say that what God accomplished through the cross that is what is meaningful.

Real truth is objective not subjective. The reason why is because it is built on fact. That means that no matter how it is perceived (correctly, incorrectly, partially correct, etc..) it is what it is. Think of a true fact as an object with properties. If one is truly able to discover and discern the fact's properties and conclude accurately exactly what the fact is with true understanding; then they can make an informed decision regarding it.

Not all things are true. Entire belief systems are built on provably false information. People believe all sorts of things that are in direct contradiction with empirical fact. A meteor landed in Cambodia a number of months ago. All kinds of folklore immediately arose surrounding the event among the villagers and some begin to worship the meteor as a deity. But it is not a deity. They drew a conclusion that is inaccurate. And so have many others. The wise truthseeker examines and tests everything using logic correctly to discover that which is real before exercising their faith.

Bear: And your question: Are you a pantheist? Well, I guess I am. I don't label myself as such but this is relatively close to the beliefs I have. I have family that is Catholic, Christian, family that is Buddhist, family that is animist, and family that is agnostic, and friends that are muslim, christian, jewish, etc. This is why I don't play favorites.

Kemo: Now I understand. You are a pluralist. We'll get to that in a minute

CB: Christianity is similarly 'easy to take apart' if you had that inclination. Sure you can stretch the contents of the bible [especially the Old Testament] as much as you want to be scientifically plausible [the most common example of stretching comes from the impossibility of the universe being created in 7 days, so then 'days' becomes a metaphor for millenia, or even just a byproduct of translation from a language where what means days can mean many different things], but that is not the point of religion in the first place. Math and facts can't inspire people the way that beliefs can. So that's what religion is for, I guess.

K: Hebrew scholars from Israel and around the world acknowledge that the way the word Yom is used in the context of Genesis 1 and 2 are six long periods of time. You are just not correct in your position regarding that. English uses the word to represent periods of time longer than literal 24 hour periods as well. One popular example would be the "back in the day."

K: "some very adept mathmaticians that I know from CalTech calculated that on that basis alone God is at least trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions more powerful and intelligent than us"

CB: That's not at all hard to believe. But word, show me the formula for calculating God's intelligence, especially since 'his creation' or the universe is still not all known to us. Where not everybody can even agree on whether an IQ test can be absolute for humans, I'm wondering how scientific data can tell you God's IQ. Just because there are laws that govern the universe, they were not necessarily written in formula... the formulas to calculate the working of the universe (theres what 5 variables?) are mathematical interpretations of natural occurrences

K: The formula is built around scientifically objective tested empirical observations. It is not subjective like an IQ test is. And the number of these observations are growing all the time as new discoveries occur and are tested. It would take me quite a long while to explain them all and then break down everything into the forumla. And I doubt you would understand it if I did. You have to know something about physics to properly comprehend it. And even if I just took say the 147 fine-tuned parameters necessary for life to exist anywhere in the universe you know that is going to take awhile. But at its simplest, certainly you can understand that the ability to create and design universes suggests an intelligence level and power capability far beyond anything humanity can achieve.

K: "he certainly is fathomable. He has revealed himself in his Creation and also in His revelation. Your argument isn't true. "

CB: He as revealed himself in his Creation and in his revelation? Well that's good enough for me. lol While my argument isn't true because I have 'no facts', yours definitely IS because his 'creation' and his 'revelation' have told you so...... this sounds like language devices, similar to "Hear this from truth and love: You have been given the choice to steer your eternity in that direction if you choose. We all respect your right to make that choice whatever it is even if it is wrong." that appeals to sentimental reasoning and presents it as the real objective, cold truth. As far as the universe being "his creation", there is no proof an ACT OF WILL created the universe. There was most likely an event, but that is certainly different from an act of will, which is something, again, that we have personified in God. Making the force that created the universe more human so that we can relate to it - Anthropomorphism:

K: Oh you are so wrong. Lol.. very very wrong. I can show you scientifically quoting presitigous scientists from all over the world who acknowledge exactly that an ACT OF WILL created the universe. It really doesn't matter if you understand that or choose to believe it. God has revealed himself through his creation which he brought into existence with an ACT OF WILL as you say and revelation. And it's good news not "the cold hard truth." I will be happy to explain the difference and who thinks what and go into detail sharing and explaining the evidences. I'm not making empty assertions.

Pantheism: (Gk. pan - “all” or “every,” theos - “God”) Literally, “all-God-ism.” The view that makes God identical with nature. “All is God and God is all.” The world and God are synonymous. I think thought that you are primarily a pluralist based on what you just shared about yourself.

The world is not the essence of God. The world is a physical creation of God which he interacts with. It is not an extension of him. Religious pluralism is the view that all religions, certainly all major or ethical religions, are equally valid paths to God or to ultimate reality. For the pluralist, many religious roads lead to God and salvation and nobody can know which ones are true, in fact the pluralist.

Now kick back, grab something to drink, and listen. The popular notion that all religions are true ignores three imperative considerations. In order to think through and respond to the issue of religious pluralism, one must recognize and understand each of these points.

1. While the religions of the world do share some common beliefs and especially moral values, fundamental and irreconcilable differences clearly divide them on many crucially important issues, including the nature of God, the source and focus of revelation, the human predicament, the nature of salvation, and the destiny of mankind.2 A plethora of views exists just concerning the nature of God (or ultimate reality). Some religions affirm monotheism (one God); others, polytheism (many gods); still others affirm pantheism (all is God); and some even affirm atheism (no God).3 In Judaism4 and Islam, God is personal (and singular); in Christianity God is clearly more than personal and singular (superpersonaland triune); while in strands of Hinduism and Buddhism God is less than personal and singular (apersonal and diffuse).

Some of the world's religious traditions view God as wholly transcendent (beyond the world), others as wholly immanent (within the world), and still others as both transcendent and immanent. Some religions view God as infinite in nature and nonidentifiable with the world, whereas in other religions God is finite and identified with the world. Clearly no universal agreement exists among the world's religions as to who or what God really is. As scholar Harold A. Netland states, "Careful examination of the basic tenets of the various religious traditions demonstrates that, far from teaching the same thing, the major religions have radically different perspectives on the religious ultimate."

Identifying mankind's ultimate problem (sin, ignorance, unenlightenment), the necessary human response (faith, obedience, meditation), and how that dilemma must be resolved in terms of encountering the divine (salvation, liberation, enlightenment) creates other stark contrasts between religions. Fundamental differences exist between the dominant religion of the West, Christianity, and the dominant religion of the East, Hinduism. Christianity affirms that redemption in Christ for the believer involves an eternal personal relationship with God in the afterlife. Hinduism, on the other hand, affirms a cycle of rebirths leading ultimately to the absorption of one's individual consciousness into God or ultimate reality. Those two visions of future reality are simply irreconcilable.

2. The religions of the world are so diverse in belief and in worldview orientation that they defy attempts to reduce them to a single common theme or essence. Indeed, this vast and complex array of religious perspectives makes religious reductionism a dubious venture altogether. Oxford theologian Alister E. McGrath notes, "There is a growing consensus that it is seriously misleading to regard the various religious traditions of the world as variations on a single theme."

Netland draws a similar conclusion about attempts to consolidate the religions according to a single salvific (relating to salvation) objective: "It is highly misleading to speak as if all religions share a common soteriological goal and simply differ on the means to reach it."

Attempts to reduce a variety of religions to their lowest common denominator usually succeed only in distorting the religions. Homogenizing the religions is a costly price to pay to solve the problems of religious diversity, for in the end the religions must sacrifice the very features that make them unique and appealing in the first place. Moreover, the various religions do not easily conform to any particular reductionistic category.

While some rightly identify similar ethical values as a common motif, upon closer inspection it becomes evident that even the similar moral principles are motivated by, and grounded in, fundamentally different views of the nature of reality. Religion cannot be reduced simply to ethics, for religion makes claims about the ultimate nature of reality (metaphysics), to which ethics appeal for justification. The renowned authority on world religions, Cal Berkeley professor Huston Smith, clearly rejects the notion all religions are basically the same:

For as soon as [the notion of sameness] moves beyond vague generalities––'every religion has some version of the Golden Rule'––it founders on the fact that the religions differ in what they consider essential and nonnegotiable.

The similar ethical values shared by religions such as Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism cannot be separated from the distinctive doctrines promoted by those particular religions. This distinctiveness is especially true in terms of historic Christianity; for Christianity is not primarily a system of ethics. Instead, Christian ethics flow from a redemptive relationship with God through the person of Jesus Christ. Therefore the ethical teachings of Jesus in the New Testament cannot be separated from the unique Christian doctrines that emerge directly from the great redemptive events of Jesus' life (such as the incarnation, atonement, and resurrection). In other words, the truth of Christian ethics is tied to the truth of Christian theology.

3. Formal laws of logic demonstrate the impossibility that all religious truth claims can be true at the same time and in the same way (the law of noncontradiction: A cannot equal A and non-A). For example, Jesus Christ cannot both be God incarnate (Christianity) and not be God incarnate (Judaism, Islam). Contradictory religious claims have opposite truth value, meaning that they negate or deny each other. Therefore exactly one is true and the other false. And, accordingly, Jesus Christ must either be God incarnate or not be God incarnate; no middle position is possible (the law of excluded middle: either A or non-A).

Since Jews, Christians, and Muslims all conceive the identity of Jesus of Nazareth differently, logically speaking, their conceptions simply can't all be true. While it is logically possible that all three positions are false, they definitely cannot all be true. Thus, the claims of popular religious pluralism fail to comport with the self-evident laws of thought. This fact led Christian philosopher Ronald H. Nash to conclude that "any one who would become a pluralist must first abandon the very principles of logic that make all significant thought, action, and communication possible."

Some people argue that applying logic to religion is false or misleading. They insist that ultimate truth comes only through some type of nonrational intuition. Their argument betrays them, however, because in arguing against logic they must first presuppose the laws of logic to attempt a refutation. To do so is, of course, self-contradictory. As Christian apologists Norman Geisler and Ronald Brooks point out, "Even those who claim, 'Logic does not apply to God,' use logic in that very statement."

To divorce oneself from the self-evident laws of thought when it comes to ultimate reality is to resign oneself to irrationality. Netland explains a price too great for most people to pay because it requires the "forfeiture of the possibility of meaningful affirmation or statement about anything at all––including statements about the religious ultimate. One who rejects the principle of noncontradiction is reduced to utter silence, for he or she has abandoned a necessary condition for any coherent or meaningful position whatsoever."

Some philosophers and religious scholars believe there is a way of making religious pluralism intellectually tenable. Could it be, perhaps, that the contradictions among the world's religions are only apparent rather than real? That is, maybe all the religions are experiencing the same divine reality but in different ways? After all, isn't an encounter with a mysterious and unfathomable God at the core of most religions? Surely God transcends the finite human mind.

The prominent pluralist thinker, John Hick, employs a common Eastern way of illustrating this point, called the elephant analogy. In this analogy, several blind men encounter an elephant for the first time. Each feels a different part of the animal, then attempts to determine truth about the essence of its being. One man pats a leg and sees the elephant as a "living pillar." Another man grasps the trunk and beholds a snake. The man who rubs the tusk believes the elephant to be a "sharp plough-share." Though each individual expresses one important aspect of the whole reality, none comprehends the complete entity.

According to this analogy, one may attribute the differences among the world's religions to mankind's inability to grasp the infinite reality of God. Hick applies the famous Kantian objective/subjective distinction of the world as it is (the objective noumenal world), from the world as it appears to human consciousness (the subjective phenomenal world) to the problem of religious diversity. He argues that one must distinguish between ultimate reality as it is (the divine "noumena"), from ultimate reality as experienced by finite human beings (the divine phenomena).

Hick's pluralistic theory places the ultimate divine reality beyond the particular deities of the various religions. This divine ultimate is not experienced directly, but instead is filtered through the different historical and cultural lenses of mankind. Thus people encounter the same divine reality (Mohammed, Krishna, Jesus) differently because of their differing historical, cultural, or philosophical perceptions and biases. He further explains:

These different personae are thus partly projections of the divine Reality into human consciousness, and partly projections of the human consciousness itself as it has been formed by particular historical cultures.

For Hick, each religion is valid because each faith provides a genuine (though obviously limited) encounter with ultimate reality. The world's religions represent "different 'faces' or 'masks' or personae of God, the Ultimate Reality."18 And, since Hick thinks that religion is ultimately about existential transformation (ethics) and not about specific doctrinal beliefs, then all religious paths are acceptable because all the major religions are capable of transforming a person from being "self-centered" to being "divine-centered." Hick views religious pluralism as a much more attractive hypothesis than either total "skepticism" of religion on one hand or traditional religious "dogmatism" on the other.

In response to Hick's philosophical pluralism, while his pluralistic vision appeals to many for both its apparent tolerance and its attempted unification of religion, it is nevertheless fraught with serious problems. An examination of Hick's views should begin with careful scrutiny of the elephant analogy.

In thinking about the elephant analogy, no one questions the reality of biases and limited knowledge on the part of mankind when encountering God, but these concessions do nothing to shore up this analogy's central weaknesses as it relates to pluralism. The elephant analogy seems to imply a radical skepticism concerning one's knowledge of God; namely, that no one, or in this case no religion, can really know God satisfactorily. But if God is by-and-large unknowable, then how is one able to know that God is unknowable? In fact, for that matter, would one even know that God exists? How does Hick know so much about the inner workings of the incomprehensible ultimate reality? Especially since this ultimate reality—in Hick's view—does not reveal itself in nature nor in propositions.

Ironically, while the elephant analogy attempts to validate the truth of all religions, it really succeeds in showing that all religions fail to adequately reveal God. So rather than affirming religious truth, the analogy demonstrates that all religions, at least in large measure, are false or misleading. The religions may indeed provide some core ethical values, but as was noted previously, these similar moral values are motivated by, and grounded in, essentially different views of the nature of reality. In religion, ethics cannot be divorced from metaphysical truth claims. What is good must be understood in light of what is real and true. Actions do not exist in a vacuum apart from truth.

The analogy is especially flawed, however, when viewed from the standpoint of historic orthodox Christianity. According to Christianity, God has personally entered the world of time and space in the historical person of Jesus Christ (John 1:1, 14, 18). This same Jesus makes exclusive claims to divine authority and possesses the prerogatives of deity which are incompatible with the homogenizing and accommodating views of religious pluralists (e.g., John 8:58, 10:30).

To accommodate pluralism's unknowable God, Christianity would be forced to give up all of its distinctive doctrines, including the Incarnation, the Trinity, and the Atonement. As Oxford theologian Alister E. McGrath noted, "The identity of Christianity is inextricably linked with the uniqueness of Christ, which is in turn grounded in the Resurrection and Incarnation."23 If the analogy were to reflect historic Christianity, one would find the elephant healing the men's blindness and personally introducing himself. For the Christian claim is that God is personally, intimately, uniquely, and decisively disclosed in the Jesus Christ.

For the elephant analogy to work and for religious pluralism to be true, the claims of historic Christianity must be false. For according to Jesus' words in the New Testament, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). "If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well" (John 14:7). Again, central to the message of historic Christianity is the astounding claim that God came to Earth in the flesh and has been personally known among men.

The Apostle Paul's words directly summarize this central Christian truth: "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form" (Col. 2:9). Moreover, a fair reading of the New Testament reveals that faith in Jesus Christ is considered the unique and only way of encountering God. "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6). The apostle Peter declared concerning Jesus, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Hick's reasons for embracing religious pluralism over historic, orthodox Christianity (the faith of his youth) is found in his rejection of the Bible as a propositional revelation from God and in his conviction that the Christian doctrine of the Incarnation is both unhistorical and logically incoherent.24 He argues vociferously that the Incarnation is a myth. Hick also views historic Christianity's position of religious exclusivism as intellectually narrow and morally unacceptable. But Hick's bold rejection of the truth-claims of historic Christianity creates a logical problem for his broad pluralistic claim.

Christian philosopher C. Stephen Evans points out that "it is an essential part of Christian faith that Jesus is God in a unique and exclusive way. It follows from this that all religions cannot be equally true. If all religions are equally true, then Christianity is false, and therefore not all religions are true."26 In the end, the correct position must be one of these two: (1) Christianity and all other exclusive religions are wrong, and the rest of the religions, which are inclusive, are right; or (2) all religions are metaphysically wrong. In other words, what pluralism succeeds in doing is redefining religion along the line of ethical transformation and simply dismissing any concrete truth claims that might end up creating contradictions among the religions. In a very real sense a pluralist cannot take the truth claims of any religion seriously.

While some individuals believe that the exclusive claims of Christianity are provincial and arrogant, in reality their own pluralistic claims are dismissive of virtually all of a religions' distinctive features. Further, their view provides something other than a neutral or objective analysis of religion. For the idea of an unknowable ultimate reality is closely connected to an Eastern monistic understanding of the divine. Such proponents appear to be taking the greatly presumptuous position that they, unlike the religions of the world, really know the elephant.

Mythical Truth or Historical Truth
Pluralist thinkers such as Joseph Campbell have argued that all religions can be simultaneously true because all religions merely make mythical and/or poetical claims, not historical, factual truth-claims. This assertion of course means that the religions of the world are metaphorically true but literally false.

However, again, this view flies in the face of historic orthodox Christianity. Whether one is inclined to accept them or not, the truth-claims of Christianity are historical and factual in nature. Jesus of Nazareth was born under the reign of Roman emperor, Caesar Augustus, and He suffered and died at the hands of an equally real Roman governor, Pontius Pilate. The historic Christian faith consistently resists and defies all attempts to homogenize and mythologize its central truth-claims. The apostles saw Jesus' resurrection from the dead and reported it as an historical-factual event.

The apostle Peter proclaimed: "We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty" (2 Pet. 1:16). According to the laws of logic and the historical veracity of Scripture, pluralism, no matter how popular, cannot be true.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 22nd, 2005, 3:10 pm

I'm with Hicks on this one. If God is indeed 'trillions and trillions and trillions times more intelligent than humans', then of course no individual can know God completely. Humans are inherently flawed, so how can they conceive perfection? It's impossible. The elephant is merely an aid to grasp the fact that those experiencing a phenomena can feel immensely different things, and yet what they are feeling is still, undoubtedly 'an elephant'. The commonality we experience, the elephant, is that we are all born, and we all die. We are not sure why we exist, but we know there is much we will never understand before our deaths. These are all conditions that breed insecurity, and demand intellectual pacification. That's what religion provides.

You had a ready-made response to the notions of pluralism and pantheism, which you sprung on me, but those are still not exact fits to my beliefs. I believe in God. But I don't believe he is involved in all of man's workings and concerns. I believe that man's dependence on God is similar to his dependence on Fate, Luck, Circumstance, Time, Perseverance, all aspects of survival and life. His belief and love for God is not reciprocated by a benevolent being, and neither does his existence really depend on God. If our lives and works really depended on God, atheists would not exist, would not create, would not be valuable members of society. As far as 'the big bang' or whatever they call it these days being an act of will, I am not convinced. Plenty of scientists fall back on religion when they hit a wall. Plenty of scientists are God-fearing men. Plenty of scientists can see a bridge between science and religion. So, some of them are convinced the universe was created by an act of will. This does not sway me one way or the other.

You incorrectly assume, because I stated earlier that my beliefs are basically, and I really mean basically, congruous with Pantheism, that i seek to simplify religions and look for a reductionist solution. In fact it is the appreciation of the uniqueness and incongruity of the world's religions that leads me to view various belief systems as pieces of the puzzle. The Big picture, which I don't claim to be able to see, but I know it's there. Religions are not variations on a common theme. that would mean that each piece is actually the same piece but in different shape, which is clearly missing the point of the argument. So no that's not consistent with what I think. Also, you assume that I believe God is immanent, which is not the case either. I believe that God is both transcendent and immanent. Meaning that he is primarily unreachable and yet evident in all things. I also don't view all religions as 'equal paths to God'. Rather they are almost like similar psychoses or byproducts of 'the human predicament'.

Not saying that there is not an Ultimate Reality or a Higher Power, just that religion just as often springs from the psychological needs of the individual as much as it does from real experience and existence of a higher force. How many times have I heard stories of people finding God at rock-bottom? How many individuals experiencing hard times become the strongest believers? How many seek and find God in their darkest hour? There is a God, somewhere, transcendent, but meanwhile everybody tries their hardest to get in his good graces, developing practices, rituals. Christianity itself is a synthesis of many different pagan rituals. One being saturnalia - the precedent to christmas. The cross of course, that was not present at the outset of Christianity, is a pagan symbol that is eventually adopted. Krsna and Krst as it was once spelled (I think it is a possibility that the names Krsna (Krishna) and Krst (Christ) are etymologically connected) are very similar figurs, and Hinduism is a much older religions. Could the christ figure not have been influenced by Krishna??

Yes, some religions are more VALID than others. But I agree with Hicks in his analysis of Christianity as 'unhistorical and logically incoherent' as well as Christianity's position of religious exclusivism 'intellectually narrow and morally unacceptable'. Basically I'm for all the good shit and against being exclusive and illogical about your faith. I think that Christianity teaches great lessons but it is detrimental to read its contents literally and inflexibly.

At the same time, the whole point about yom being so versatile as a word just seems too convenient. Will future versions of the bible replace seven days with seven millenia? it would be very interesting if they did. Basically, then religion evolves with our understanding of science, and then by definition its tenets cannot be absolute.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 22nd, 2005, 5:46 pm

B: I'm with Hicks on this one. If God is indeed 'trillions and trillions and trillions times more intelligent than humans', then of course no individual can know God completely.

K: You don't have to know him completely to know him materially in the manner he wishes you to know him. Think about the logic of your position. Nobody can know anybody in any way because they cannot completely know them? That is simply incorrect.

B: Humans are inherently flawed, so how can they conceive perfection? It's impossible.

K: You can understand the concept. It is not necessary to conceive perfection to know God. And it is not necessary for a child to fully understand their mother to have a relationship with her.

B: The elephant is merely an aid to grasp the fact that those experiencing a phenomena can feel immensely different things, and yet what they are feeling is still, undoubtedly 'an elephant'. The commonality we experience, the elephant, is that we are all born, and we all die. We are not sure why we exist, but we know there is much we will never understand before our deaths. These are all conditions that breed insecurity, and demand intellectual pacification. That's what religion provides.

K: Those very conditions are intended to provide the impetus for you to seek God. God wants you to care enough to seek him. He is not a vending machine. I don't doubt "religion" provides what you are suggesting; however, a real relationship with the Almighty provides quite a bit beyond that.

B: You had a ready-made response to the notions of pluralism and pantheism, which you sprung on me.

K: That I shared with you a very legitimate position and I'm wondering if you even really read it and understood it as your response was way too fast, in my opinion, for a serious consideration. Perhaps you didn't think you needed to as you don't hold that view? Ok then.

B: ...but those are still not exact fits to my beliefs. I believe in God. But I don't believe he is involved in all of man's workings and concerns. I believe that man's dependence on God is similar to his dependence on Fate, Luck, Circumstance, Time, Perseverance, all aspects of survival and life. His belief and love for God is not reciprocated by a benevolent being, and neither does his existence really depend on God.

K: Humanity is far more than a mere science experiment. God is involved with man. Man is his crowning creation and anyone that has truly been endowed by God's spirit (i.e. born again) will pass any lie detector test you can offer that God is certainly involved with them personally. God's creation is a self-revelation of labor and sacrifice. Creation always incurs a cost. Creation invests the creator's life in the thing created.

Every aspect from the formation of planets, galaxies, and stars to the relationship between the mass energy and space energy densities and even the laws of physics themselves must have been carefully fine-tuned from the creation event in order to make life possible for this brief moment in cosmic history on our tiny blue dot called Earth.

The more astronomers learn about the universe, the more evidence they find that the conditions necessary for life are far more numerous and far more narrow than anyone imagined. Far from being a common mediocre rocky planet, Earth seems exceptional in every way.

So what are we to make of all the observations that our entire universe appears to have been meticulously designed for humans? Well when the math is done (regarding probability), the fingerprints of intentionality and purpose are unmistakable.

Physicist Paul Davies, the professor of natural philosophy in the Australian Centre for Astrobiology at Macquarie University, has moved from promoting atheism saying "The laws of physics seem themselves to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design." He further testifies "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all... it seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature's numbers to make the universe. The impression of design is overwhelming."

And astronomer Dr. George Greenstein, professor of astronomy at Amherst College, in his book the symbiotic universe expressed these thoughts "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency -- or rather, Agency -- must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?"

And then there are the words of Dr. Arno Penzias the 1978 Nobel Price winner in physics for the discovery of background cosmic radiation, retired vice president and chief scientist at Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovations, "Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing... one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life... and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan."

Finally as Dr. Stephen Hawking, Lucasian professor at Cambridge University, concedes "It would be very difficult to explain why the universe should have begun in just this way except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us."

The entity that brought the universe into existence must be a master of all Space, Time, Matter, and Energy. This entity must be powerful enough to create space time dimensions at will and to exquisitely fine tune an untold number of cosmic characteristics. More than 200 have been uncovered so far. The probability of all these known parameters randomly coming together would be one chance in 10 to the 215th power. A probability so incredibly tiny; that statistically speaking it's impossible. And this probability is becoming even more remote with every new scientific discovery.

Such a high degree of design demonstrates this entity must be a personal being with an amazing creativity, wisdom, power, care, and love to a degree far beyond human capabilities. He has fine tuned the Milky Way galaxy, the solar system, and planet Earth so that spiritual light could be fused with physical light in this one place for one brief on our time line.

More than an accident and more than a random sequence of events, you and I are passengers on a controlled and purposeful explosion for very specific reasons. Abandonment is not one of them. So what is your reason for believing that God had made no provision to have a relationship with his creation when the evidence clearly shows that he is extremely (stress extremely) intelligent, powerful, careful, and caring? I wish to qualify it.

B: If our lives and works really depended on God, atheists would not exist, would not create, would not be valuable members of society. As far as 'the big bang' or whatever they call it these days being an act of will, I am not convinced. Plenty of scientists fall back on religion when they hit a wall. Plenty of scientists are God-fearing men. Plenty of scientists can see a bridge between science and religion. So, some of them are convinced the universe was created by an act of will. This does not sway me one way or the other.

K: Everyone has freewill. Choosing to perform some "good works" in between the not so good ones while purposefully choosing to disbelieve God's existence is no contradiction. That is merely the exercise of one's freewill in an inappropriate direction. And frame of reference is important here in defining what is valuable. Those same scientists purposefully suppress science when it doesn't conform to their beliefs and teach their shaky theories of hopelessness to children. Then they attempt to wash their actions by performing some "good works." And plenty of good scientists go where the evidence leads them and when that evidence leads them to God then they follow it. They aren't as seared in conscience as the other type. And I think going where the evidence leads when it leads to a transcendent Creator's will can and will sway many in the right way.

B: You incorrectly assume, because I stated earlier that my beliefs are basically, and I really mean basically, congruous with Pantheism, that i seek to simplify religions and look for a reductionist solution. In fact it is the appreciation of the uniqueness and incongruity of the world's religions that leads me to view various belief systems as pieces of the puzzle.

K: Well it is a process of discovery. I am not you. I have to keep reading what you post and asking you to clarify your views best I can to get a handle on it. And that is happening, slowly but surely. I see now that you do not identify as a pluralist. Here is an interesting link that explains what pluralism is for those who don't know [img]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_pluralism[/img]. Honestly, it is good that you recognize that all belief systems cannot be reconciled. It is sad to watch the measures that some people take in their attempt to do this. They eventually corrupt the true theology of disparate belief systems.

B: The Big picture, which I don't claim to be able to see, but I know it's there. Religions are not variations on a common theme. that would mean that each piece is actually the same piece but in different shape, which is clearly missing the point of the argument. So no that's not consistent with what I think. Also, you assume that I believe God is immanent, which is not the case either. I believe that God is both transcendent and immanent. Meaning that he is primarily unreachable and yet evident in all things. I also don't view all religions as 'equal paths to God'. Rather they are almost like similar psychoses or byproducts of 'the human predicament'.

K: Do you mean that you believe since God created things you can see his fingerprint on his creation or do you mean that he actually inhabits things? Is the last part of this philosophy of that you hold an elaboration on the fingerprint concept that Deists hold too regarding the psyche of humanity? Define it and bring evidence. People's daydreams don't move me. I want to see your EVIDENCE that SUPPORTS what you believe. :). Define your beliefs and bring evidence for examination.

B: Not saying that there is not an Ultimate Reality or a Higher Power, just that religion just as often springs from the psychological needs of the individual as much as it does from real experience and existence of a higher force.

K: God certainly exists and he is very purposefuly and carefully involved with humanity. The desire for God is a part of us. It is part of our spiritual blueprint which the Almighty endowed us with.

B: How many times have I heard stories of people finding God at rock-bottom? How many individuals experiencing hard times become the strongest believers? How many seek and find God in their darkest hour? There is a God, somewhere, transcendent, but meanwhile everybody tries their hardest to get in his good graces, developing practices, rituals.

K: The stories I could tell you. And yes conscience is also part of our blueprint; however, some actually sin against their own conscience so much they become spiritually dead. They don't even have a conscience anymore.

B: Christianity itself is a synthesis of many different pagan rituals. One being saturnalia - the precedent to christmas. The cross of course, that was not present at the outset of Christianity, is a pagan symbol that is eventually adopted. Krsna and Krst as it was once spelled (I think it is a possibility that the names Krsna (Krishna) and Krst (Christ) are etymologically connected) are very similar figurs, and Hinduism is a much older religions. Could the christ figure not have been influenced by Krishna??

K: You have drawn a very false conclusion about Christianity. I'm sure it is not the only one. The practice of counteracting ancient heathen thought and influence by changing the nature of pagan rituals in heathen culture in which ancient Christians lived is not what defines Christianity.

We will deal with that separately shortly. The Church sought to give Christians an alternative, spiritually edifying holiday and proclaim the supremacy of the gospel over pagan superstition. Also there is the concept of the genetic fallacy. This is committed when an idea, person, practice, or institution is evaluated solely in terms of its origin, without giving appropriate consideration to how it has changed or evolved in contemporary practice. For example, one would be foolish to reject the scientific discipline of astronomy because its origins were connected to the ancient occult practice of astrology. Why? Because the practice of astronomy has changed significantly over time? Or since Adolf Hitler brushed his teeth, should one knock one's teeth out to avoid any association with an evil person and his practices? I think not. Practices that were once associated with pagan superstition (such as carving pumpkins and bobbing for apples) in antiquity are purely benign for the vast majority of Americans today. What about the historical origins of Christmas as a substitute for a pagan festival? I can only say good for the early Christians who had the wisdom to flee from Mithras and direct their zeal to the celebration of Christ's birth. Who associates Christmas today with Mithras? Does anyone call the day Mithrasmas? Not at all. Seriously, Christians celebrate the birth of Christ.

Of course Hindiusm is a much older religion than Christianity or Judiasm. But it's not older than the knowledge of God as as revealed in the Bible. I know all about the argument you are making. I've had that discussion many times and will go through it again for you if you want to. The answer is no he was not. That is very clear. Honestly, that deserves it's own thread though in the Religion section.

B: Yes, some religions are more VALID than others. But I agree with Hicks in his analysis of Christianity as 'unhistorical and logically incoherent' as well as Christianity's position of religious exclusivism 'intellectually narrow and morally unacceptable'. Basically I'm for all the good shit and against being exclusive and illogical about your faith. I think that Christianity teaches great lessons but it is detrimental to read its contents literally and inflexibly.

K: Well sounds like you have your mind made up. Let me know when you are open to real evidence and I will gladly share it with you. Hicks is wrong. Christianity is historically accurate, logically coherent, and morally acceptable. It is not, however, compromising with false religious systems which is really the basis, the logic if you will, for his statement. Revisit my posts on what a fact is. By definition a fact is exclusively what it is. Pretending, wishing, calling it something else, making false assertions regarding it, developing your own religion of “good shit” to get around the fact: none of this gets you where you need to go.

B: At the same time, the whole point about yom being so versatile as a word just seems too convenient. Will future versions of the bible replace seven days with seven millenia? it would be very interesting if they did. Basically, then religion evolves with our understanding of science, and then by definition its tenets cannot be absolute.

K: It is convenient. That was nice of God to tell Moses to write down the facts regarding the universe long before anyone else even had a clue. No need to change it. Just educate people what the word yom means in that context in Hebrew. The translators and scholars of the era certainly knew that it meant epochs and not literal 24 hour days. And know you are mistaken here. Perfect knowledge and understanding is reflected in perfect science which confirms perfect theology. That doesn’t exist right now but we constantly get closer to it except for the occasional serious sidetrack (like general evolutionary theory for example) that takes a few centuries to disprove.

You still are not bringing any empirical evidence FOR your position. You can start by bringing evidence to support your position that God is not involved with humanity. I would really like to see that. Peace.

ratt
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ratt » July 25th, 2005, 9:43 am

never mind

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 25th, 2005, 9:53 am

ratt wrote:never mind
LMAO, I second you on it :D
kIMO does have a way of going into a long a*s book reading.

ratt
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ratt » July 26th, 2005, 2:46 pm

took the words right outta my mouth