Hezbollah: Violence mixed with social mission

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 16th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Thursday, July 13, 2006; Posted: 4:07 p.m. EDT (20:07 GMT)

(CNN) -- The group called Hezbollah is on the U.S. State Department's list of terrorist organizations, but also participates in the Lebanese government. A few facts on the organization:

Hezbollah is a Shiite militant group in Lebanon, regarded by the U.S. and Israel as a terrorist organization.

It opposes Israel and the West, and supports a fundamentalist Muslim government.

It is dedicated to eliminating Israel and has formally advocated ultimate establishment of Islamic rule in Lebanon.

It garners popular support among Lebanese by setting up schools, hospitals and other social services.

It has become a social/political movement, holding 14 seats in the 128-member Lebanese parliament, according to the parliament's Web site.

The word "hezbollah" means "party of God" in Arabic.

Sheik Hassan Nasrallah is the head of Hezbollah.

Hezbollah fighters operate with almost total autonomy in southern Lebanon, and the government has no control over their actions, according to The Associated Press. But Lebanon has long resisted international pressure to disarm the group.

Hezbollah has often launched shells and fired rockets into northern Israel and into the disputed Shebaa Farms area.

Islamic Resistance is the name of Hezbollah's military wing.

Hezbollah is known or suspected to have been involved in numerous terror attacks against the U.S., Israel or other Western targets, including the 1983 suicide truck bombings in Beirut that killed 241 U.S. Marines at the Marine barracks and 58 at the French military barracks.

The United States and Israel say that Hezbollah is given financial and political assistance, as well as weapons and training, from Iran and Syria. Syria says it supports Hezbollah, but denies supplying it with weapons.

Hezbollah was founded in 1982 in response to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon.

It absorbed most of the 1980s umbrella coalition of terrorist groups known as Islamic Jihad, according to Jane's Terrorism and Insurgency Center.

In 2004, Hezbollah exchanged prisoners with Israel in a deal that took three years to negotiate. Israel released more than 400 prisoners and returned 59 bodies of Lebanese fighters. Hezbollah released a kidnapped Israeli businessman and the bodies of three Israeli soldiers.

The 1996 suicide bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia, in which 19 are killed, was attributed to Hezbollah.

Hezbollah was blamed for the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Argentina, in which 85 were killed.

The State Department estimates Hezbollah has "several thousand supporters and a few hundred terrorist operatives."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/ ... index.html

Duece
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Duece » July 28th, 2006, 9:37 pm

The sad part is that it looks like Hezbollah is the only answer to maintianing Lebanons soveriegnity.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 29th, 2006, 1:24 am

Duece wrote:The sad part is that it looks like Hezbollah is the only answer to maintianing Lebanons soveriegnity.
How so?

Duece
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Duece » July 29th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Well, If the Lebanese army cannot control their own borders. Than who will the "normal" Lebanese people turn too. dont get me wrong, I like Isreal, Great country, but I could see how their mission to eradicate Hezbolah could actually end up backfiring on them just like our time in Iraq.
It's a scary thought, but Arabs from that part of the world are just like that, you know.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 30th, 2006, 12:57 am

Duece wrote:Well, If the Lebanese army cannot control their own borders. Than who will the "normal" Lebanese people turn too. dont get me wrong, I like Isreal, Great country, but I could see how their mission to eradicate Hezbolah could actually end up backfiring on them just like our time in Iraq.
It's a scary thought, but Arabs from that part of the world are just like that, you know.
How about the fact that the government of Lebanon is so weak Hezbollah took over and is running the show? I mean who is really in charge here? By gosh I think its the government of Iran. Forget the fact that Lebanon cannot control their own border, they cant control their own country.

bsavanh
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bsavanh » August 7th, 2006, 9:45 am

WAKE UP PEOPLE! the conflict did not start with the kidnappings but when israel continued to hold lebanese land! the conflict goes back longer than the 4 weeks the jewish controlled mass media wants the people to believe! watch the links that i've posted below and be forever awaken!

mr galloway could not have say it any more truthfully
http://www.freespeechwar.com/smf/index.php?topic=2884.0

Peace, Propaganda & The Promised Land. -- Educational Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... pr=goog-sl

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » August 7th, 2006, 11:12 am

Considering Isreal left Lebannon about six years ago I'm not too sure what the man is talking about.

bsavanh
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bsavanh » August 7th, 2006, 11:58 am

Godfather wrote:Considering Isreal left Lebannon about six years ago I'm not too sure what the man is talking about.
shebba farms? did you forget already? perhaps i've just help wakeup!
don't speak if you don't know anything! shebba farms, golan eights... on and on and on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebaa_Farms

bsavanh
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bsavanh » August 7th, 2006, 12:00 pm

israel still occupies shebba farm

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 7th, 2006, 4:14 pm

bsavanh wrote:israel still occupies shebba farm

Shebba Farms is not part of Lebanon. It is at a junction, where Israel, Syria and Lebanon meet.
Various members of the international diplomatic community have repeatedly requested that Syria and Lebanon take steps to determine the exact boundary between them in the Shebaa Farms region and elsewhere, including officially registering the demarcated border with the United Nations.
And they have not done it^.

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » August 7th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Maybe you should read your own article.

This is why Israel is on it:
Israel considers the Shebaa farms to be part of the Golan Heights [2] and extended Israeli law to the region in 1981
This is why Israel isn't alone in their beliefs:
The United Nations agreed with Israel's view that the area is not covered by United Nations UN Security Council Resolution 425, which governed the withdrawal from Lebanon, inasmuch as the Farms are not Lebanese territory, and the UN certified Israel's pullout
This is why Hazbalaah is completely crazy if that's their basis:
The United Nations stated: "On 15 May 2000, the United Nations received a map, dated 1966, from the Government of Lebanon which reflected the Government's position that these farmlands were located in Lebanon. However, the United Nations is in possession of 10 other maps issued after 1966 by various Lebanese government institutions, including the Ministry of Defense and the army, all of which place the farmlands inside the Syrian Arab Republic.
And just to ice it:
More recently, the January 20, 2005 UN Secretary-General's report on Lebanon stated rather emphatically: "The continually asserted position of the Government of Lebanon that the Blue Line is not valid in the Shab'a farms area is not compatible with Security Council resolutions. The Council has recognized the Blue Line as valid for purposes of confirming Israel’s withdrawal pursuant to resolution 425 (1978). The Government of Lebanon should heed the Council’s repeated calls for the parties to respect the Blue Line in its entirety." [14] Timur Goksel, a spokesman for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) told the BBC that: "on all maps the UN has been able to find, the farms are seen on the Syrian side [of the border]."
I don't see how Isreal hasn't moved out of Lebanon when the area isn't considered part of Lebanon in the first place.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 7th, 2006, 4:33 pm

I cant wait to see what he has to say to that ^. If anything.

bsavanh
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bsavanh » August 7th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Christina Marie wrote:I cant wait to see what he has to say to that ^. If anything.
haha! who do you think you're fooling with your pseudo research? sheebah farm, israel says is syrian land but syria says its lebanese. the lebanese also says that it is there's. who do you want to believe is up to you but either way it is occupied land right? thats what i thought... i rest my case. amateurs...go to school

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 7th, 2006, 6:32 pm

bsavanh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:I cant wait to see what he has to say to that ^. If anything.
haha! who do you think you're fooling with your pseudo research? sheebah farm, israel says is syrian land but syria says its lebanese. the lebanese also says that it is there's. who do you want to believe is up to you but either way it is occupied land right? thats what i thought... i rest my case. amateurs...go to school
Hey stupid...why dont you go back and reread the wikipedia article YOU posted the link to.

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » August 7th, 2006, 7:43 pm

bsavanh wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. You said it belongs to Lebanon and the fact that Israel occupied it was violating the fact that Israel was supposed to leave Lebanese land alone. Your own piece of research proves it wrong so I realize your post was supposed to make sense but it really really didn't.