Obama Takes 1st Step in Presidential Bid

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » January 16th, 2007, 8:30 pm

The Associated Press

By NEDRA PICKLER

January 16, 2007

Obama announced on his Web site, http://www.barackobama.com, that he was filing a presidential exploratory committee. He said he would announce more about his plans in his home state of Illinois on Feb. 10.

'I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position a year ago,' Obama said in a video posting. 'I've been struck by how hungry we all are for a different kind of politics. So I've spent some time thinking about how I could best advance the cause of change and progress that we so desperately need.'

Obama, a little more than two years into his Senate term, is the most inexperienced candidate considering a run for the Democratic nomination, but nonetheless ranks as a top contender. His appeal on the stump, his unique background, his opposition to the Iraq war and the fact that he is a fresh face set him apart in a competitive race that also is expected to include front-runner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Other Democrats who have announced a campaign or exploratory committee are 2004 vice presidential nominee John Edwards, former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd and Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich.

Obama tried to turn his biggest weakness _ his lack of experience in national politics _ into an asset.

'The decisions that have been made in Washington these past six years, and the problems that have been ignored, have put our country in a precarious place,' he said.

'America's faced big problems before,' he said. 'But today, our leaders in Washington seem incapable of working together in a practical, commonsense way. Politics has become so bitter and partisan, so gummed up by money and influence, that we can't tackle the big problems that demand solutions.'

He said Americans are struggling financially, dependence on foreign oil threatens the environment and national security and 'we're still mired in a tragic and costly war that should have never been waged.'

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/2487842 ... R0P9F5SDVK

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 5th, 2007, 1:31 pm

he'll never win, his name sounds to much like osama

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff

Unread post by Aquafresh » March 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm

king phoenix wrote:he'll never win, his name sounds to much like osama
:lol: :lol:

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » March 7th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Nobody knows who Osama Bin Ladin is. That's what Republicans get for going so long without mentioning his name, in an ill fated attempt to convince Americans that it was Saddam Hussein who attacked us.

Oh, Hussein is actually Obama's middle name. And, notice how they're already pointing that out...

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » March 8th, 2007, 10:43 am

StillNoScript wrote:
Nobody knows who Osama Bin Ladin is. That's what Republicans get for going so long without mentioning his name, in an ill fated attempt to convince Americans that it was Saddam Hussein who attacked us.

Oh, Hussein is actually Obama's middle name. And, notice how they're already pointing that out...
And isn't that sad that people are going to actually think about that before they vote? Sentenza may be able to give some insight, but I believe before WWII there were a number of people with the last name Hitler in Germany, and after the war was over they had all changed their last names. I understand the mentality but I think it's stupid to believe that people with the same or similar names will be thought of differently because of that fact alone.