Who started shorts with the knee high socks?

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
PS1979
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Who started?

Unread post by PS1979 » March 8th, 2005, 9:17 pm

"your all wrong, the mexicans who chose to wear thier socks like that are imitating yodelers from the alps and holland"

LMAO that shit made me chuckle.
...but yeah cholos wearing tacky colored red and green soccer socks with cut off khakis?!?!ha that shit would be funny, but i've never seen cholos rockin nothing less than straight white colored knee high tube socks with their shorts.

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » March 8th, 2005, 11:08 pm

I notice that ballers wear tube socks too. You got guys in the NBA like Bobby Jackson, Nick Van Exel, and Glenn Robinson who rock tube socks. I've also notice a lot of street ballers wear tube socks and srunch them down a little.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » March 8th, 2005, 11:50 pm

ball players like the socks cause they keep their legs warm,
there has got to be some sort of reasoning behind dudes taking that up as a style,

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » March 9th, 2005, 8:22 am

jboogie wrote:I notice that ballers wear tube socks too. You got guys in the NBA like Bobby Jackson, Nick Van Exel, and Glenn Robinson who rock tube socks. I've also notice a lot of street ballers wear tube socks and srunch them down a little.
*Man, just go check out those old documentaries that ESPN2 and that Classic Sports Channel play, as well as old movies from the 70's, and t.v. shows like the "White Shadow," and you'll see brother b-ballers, from back east, midwest, and on the west coast, sporting tube socks that go up to the knee.

Hell, those who are old enough, just think back and remember life from back in the day!

Unlimited
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Unlimited » March 9th, 2005, 8:25 am

WhiteBoy wrote:ball players like the socks cause they keep their legs warm,
there has got to be some sort of reasoning behind dudes taking that up as a style,
I ball and wear high to keep my legs warm, so when I go out with my homies at night I put them on for the same reason if I am wearing cut-offs of course.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » March 9th, 2005, 10:09 am

see dawg that makes sense, but like the whole style thing doesn't appeal to me, nor does wearing colored or striped socks, nothing but plain white hanes with the grey toes,
i use to wear long socks for soccer, but you wear them in that sport to keep your shin gaurds from flopping all over the place AND it helps to determine whos feet are whos in a close scirmish when your head is down following the ball,

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » March 9th, 2005, 4:40 pm

Panik wrote:you're only mad because it's true and it hurts. Like I said, anyone that wants to try can pull my card, but a fact can't be disputed homie. You won't find one little south sider in OC that can prove me wrong, and anyone in Theo Lacy in 2002 would know it. And any of them in the Main, the Farm, or Lacy can verify my status the last time in 2004. I didn;t have the keys, but everyone knew about me because that kind of thing spreads quick. Hell, I can even send you a copy of my jail paperwork from classification. Brown hair, green eyes, race: Black. Had to classify me as a black inmate so that I went to the right cells on the way to court and shi-. suck ass, and quit tryin to earn striped net bangin on a whiteboy with more heart than you got.
You were classified as "Black" because you wanted some "Black Love" with your cellie. Thats cool and all but you dont need to brag about it on the net "homie". I can respect white dudes who bang in black hoods becaus they grew up there but your some lame white boy from santa ana. Where are you from again? "Family Gangsta". What the hell is that???LOL Give me a break you little hoe and go violate your "probation" so you can show you black cellie some "love" again HAAAAAAAAAAA

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 9th, 2005, 4:52 pm

sounds like you got some homosexual tendencies. I know a lot of eses are like that, but keep it at home, no place for that here. "gibby" even the name has some wishy washiness to it. A little light in the stacy's? And I'm not braggin, just stating a fact. And it wouldn't even be an issue except your manhood seems to be in question and you keep bringing it up. Like I said, you can play little kid games and call names, or you can prove that I'm full of shi-. Or, you can suck it up (no pun intended) be a man, and stop yappin. You sound like you got put on ES torrance. shake it off.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 9th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Panik wrote:looks just as gay today as it did in the 80's. I think it was done by the esses because they are technically soccer socks, and who in cali plays soccer? anyone? Just the mexicans, and border brothers for the most part. I think they just started the trend with the cholos.
I found this post to bit a bit ignorant, but let me say that those high sock with the colored stripes near the kneee were in fashion all across America during the 1970s and early 1980s. I was watching Rocky 2 last night and Sly Stallone was wearing those old school sock in the scene where he was in the boxing gym training to fight Apollo Creed.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Re: Who started shorts with the knee high socks?

Unread post by Lonewolf » March 9th, 2005, 6:32 pm

I can't say when it was started but it was definitely already in place as far back as the early 70's, I wore them even before 1973 the year of my initiation, and those all-star converse tennie shoes you talk about nowadays, we wore them way back then too, we called them memin-penguins (i have a picture from 1968 in which i'm already stylin with 'em), the small slit on the sides of the long shorts was also already in use, with a long key chain as well.
We even had those hammer-typed overalls cut off to make shorts out of them.

Never was the style developed because of soccer, don't know where people heard that from, but its just plain pendejadas.
Most of the time that we wore the long shorts was during the hot weather months to get some air for our huevos to breathe and cool off, lol.
As to the long socks, simon there is some thruth as to the macho in us not wishing to show any part of the leg - leg showing is for the females in our book.

Definitely no tank tops or close fitting shorts like Blacks wore them, and no basketball shorts either - no dis' meant - to each his own.

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » March 9th, 2005, 11:49 pm

lonewolf wrote:
Definitely no tank tops or close fitting shorts like Blacks wore them, and no basketball shorts either - no dis' meant - to each his own.
Nah, I remember vatos wearing tank tops all during the 70's, with the stretch belts, and sometimes with 501's.

Everybody: the striped tube socks were popular back in the day so some Gz did wear those.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 10th, 2005, 9:04 am

striped tube socks, yeah everyone wore them. I'm talkin the plain ass white soccer socks. Y'all just playin dumb. MOST cholos I see wear soccer socks, plain white. They are not regular tube socks. Tube socks dont go up quite as high, and they have a tendency to slide down. Soccer socks are a little longer with a lot more elastic. Y'all are frontin.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 10th, 2005, 9:16 am

i just wanted to add my 2 cents and say ANY GROWN MAN ROCKING KNEE HIGH SOCKS WITH SHORTS IN 2005 NEEDS TO BE.....

hugged, because im sure he gets no shorties haha

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 10th, 2005, 9:19 am

purplecityhello wrote:i just wanted to add my 2 cents and say ANY GROWN MAN ROCKING KNEE HIGH SOCKS WITH SHORTS IN 2005 NEEDS TO BE.....

hugged, because im sure he gets no shorties haha
you ain't lying. any socks that even reach your calf shouldn't even be made in mens sizes.

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » March 10th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Panik wrote:sounds like you got some homosexual tendencies. I know a lot of eses are like that, but keep it at home, no place for that here. "gibby" even the name has some wishy washiness to it. A little light in the stacy's? And I'm not braggin, just stating a fact. And it wouldn't even be an issue except your manhood seems to be in question and you keep bringing it up. Like I said, you can play little kid games and call names, or you can prove that I'm full of shi-. Or, you can suck it up (no pun intended) be a man, and stop yappin. You sound like you got put on ES torrance. shake it off.
Damn you get on here talking about you were specially bunked with blacks in the county and your a white boy WTF??????????? You a white boy but you had to PC up with blacks for protection??? Talk about homosexuality. You must have been that white boy who made that oreo cookie sandiwch thing happen during your vacation. Your a damn weirdo living out your bet rap video fantazsy life. A whitboy pc'ing up with the blacks in the county. Thats a new one. What shade of kool-aid lipstick were you wearing sugar HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA You must have "PANIKED" the first time they got you . Your new name on her is PC. Wear it with pride slim shady

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » March 10th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Panik wrote:you're only mad because it's true and it hurts. Like I said, anyone that wants to try can pull my card, but a fact can't be disputed homie. You won't find one little south sider in OC that can prove me wrong, and anyone in Theo Lacy in 2002 would know it. And any of them in the Main, the Farm, or Lacy can verify my status the last time in 2004. I didn;t have the keys, but everyone knew about me because that kind of thing spreads quick. Hell, I can even send you a copy of my jail paperwork from classification. Brown hair, green eyes, race: Black. Had to classify me as a black inmate so that I went to the right cells on the way to court and shi-. suck ass, and quit tryin to earn striped net bangin on a whiteboy with more heart than you got.
Well it seems like PC PANIK Kool-aid lips is getting caught in his lies. Right here this pc'er said he didnt have to the "keys" to the "Black Car", but if you look at his post from March 7 2004 he said

viewtopic.php?t=2855&start=0

"I'm from a black gang, but I'm not a crip. And yeah, I been to county a few times, never prison. My first time in county I really didn't know if the blacks would accept me, especially becasue when I went in, 75% of the blacks in the Theo Lacy (orange county jail) were not from O.C., they were mostly from LA, IE, and San Deigo. So when I first went in, the woods came over to me and I told them I was not a wood, told them I gong banged and wanted nothing to do with them. They got with the southsiders and had a meeting, then came at me again askin me if I was rollin with the blacks and I said that I was rollin with myself, and I was from Family gang, and they could respect that, or jump me. I had me a shank and just told them that if they jumped me that I was stickin somebody, and if they got me, when I got out of the nurses office I would tell the guards to put me right back in the same dorm. And I still wouldn't be a wood. They went and talked to the blacks, and some older guy from 112 Hoover came over and hit me up. I told him where I was from and he asked who I was with in jail, I told him I was on my own and fuc- it. then he told me that I was gonna be part of the black car in there, and that was that. BY THE END OF MY STAY, I WAS HOLDIN THE KEYS TO THE CAR AND HAD NO PROBLEMS. aAll the esses and woods knew about me and didn't say another thing to me. A couple times someone in another dorm or mod would say somethin and I would go tell the wood or southsider rep in my area to shut them up or it would be funk in our dorm, and word got passed and whoever was talkin shi- would get shecked or taxed. Since then, whenver I go to jail, that's the first thing I do is fall in with the blacks. But, I will say that I am the only one that I have heard of doing this in the OC jails. There is a white crip from my enemy hood, and I know he tried this a couple years ago and got smashed on by the blacks. But for me there was no problem. Just got a lot of shi- from the sheriffs. They were callin me kunta kinte and shi-, or sayin asalam alaykum (however it's spelled) every time I walked by. A couple times they would pull me out and put me in a cell with a bunch of woods or southsiders, but nobody ever really tripped. THey would hit me up to see if I would falter or change my story, but once they were convinced I wasn't bullshi--in, they backed off.

SO WHICH ONE IS IT PC BOY, DID YOU HAVE THE KEYS TO THE BLACK CAR OR NOT BECAUSE YOUVE ALREADY CONTRADICTED YOURSELF SLIM SHADY ???? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 10th, 2005, 3:29 pm

maybe if english was your first language, you would have understood my post. I had the keys in 2002, but not this last time in 2004, but in all cases I ran with the blacks. Even when there were none. In 2004 they had be in a 100 man barracks with 1 black guy that was 40 years old from Sacramento. Our car was 2 deep. All the rest were southsiders and woods, and ask any one there about me. I let it be knows day in and day out what was up. Put the hood up on the walls and bunks aournd me, on my shower shoes, tatted up, and not puttin up with no southsider or wood BS. Check my file, and hit the ROP for some reading classses.

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » March 10th, 2005, 3:49 pm

Panik wrote:maybe if english was your first language, you would have understood my post. I had the keys in 2002, but not this last time in 2004, but in all cases I ran with the blacks. Even when there were none. In 2004 they had be in a 100 man barracks with 1 black guy that was 40 years old from Sacramento. Our car was 2 deep. All the rest were southsiders and woods, and ask any one there about me. I let it be knows day in and day out what was up. Put the hood up on the walls and bunks aournd me, on my shower shoes, tatted up, and not puttin up with no southsider or wood BS. Check my file, and hit the ROP for some reading classses.
Nice comeback

NOT

Your one confused whiteboy. You think your black. You PC'up with blacks. You had the keys to the car. You didnt have the keys. You dont know if your coming going leaving or staying do you. SO when you didnt have the keys there was 2 of you and some old man was riding for your "black" car. Yeah right kool-aid. Nobody buys your BS lies slim shady

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » March 10th, 2005, 4:36 pm

and no body cares about your lame azz skwabble,
get over it and grow up,
this is the internet formally known as the "world of lies"

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » March 10th, 2005, 8:12 pm

Panik wrote:striped tube socks, yeah everyone wore them. I'm talkin the plain ass white soccer socks. Y'all just playin dumb. MOST cholos I see wear soccer socks, plain white. They are not regular tube socks. Tube socks dont go up quite as high, and they have a tendency to slide down. Soccer socks are a little longer with a lot more elastic. Y'all are frontin.
It doesn't matter because you're probably biting the cholo style right now. heh!

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » March 10th, 2005, 8:36 pm

GIBBY wrote:
Panik wrote:
Nice comeback

NOT

Your one confused whiteboy. You think your black. You PC'up with blacks. You had the keys to the car. You didnt have the keys. You dont know if your coming going leaving or staying do you. SO when you didnt have the keys there was 2 of you and some old man was riding for your "black" car. Yeah right kool-aid. Nobody buys your BS lies slim shady
Gibby: Don't waste your time on that fool man. All the real vatos know whats up. Think about it...how's it gonna look rolling around in the dirt with some Okie from orange county? LMAO.

spensa! lol

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 11th, 2005, 8:58 am

gibby, you're an idiot. when it's me and a 40 year old smoker, nobody has the keys. He was a non participant, SO I was basically alone. Get a life, and again, all you can do is try to make white jokes. But you know what, y'all are the real white jokes. The woods are laughing their ass off they got the little southsider mudpeople doing their dirty work, fukkin nazi dikk riders. Again, all you can do is babble nonsense. I have said in the past, check me out. It ain't hard to do. There are thousands of cholos down here. Ask around, if you can. Or are you a just scared little hook on your computer screen? Don't know any real bangers? My file is intact and can be verified. and 64, quit givin gibby a reach around homie, y'all ain't locked up, find a girl.

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » March 11th, 2005, 11:08 am

Panik wrote:gibby, you're an idiot. when it's me and a 40 year old smoker, nobody has the keys. He was a non participant, SO I was basically alone. Get a life, and again, all you can do is try to make white jokes. But you know what, y'all are the real white jokes. The woods are laughing their ass off they got the little southsider mudpeople doing their dirty work, #%@& nazi dikk riders. Again, all you can do is babble nonsense. I have said in the past, check me out. It ain't hard to do. There are thousands of cholos down here. Ask around, if you can. Or are you a just scared little hook on your computer screen? Don't know any real bangers? My file is intact and can be verified. and 64, quit givin gibby a reach around homie, y'all ain't locked up, find a girl.
Im and idiot??? Get a life???Chale slim shady. Im a very sucessfull businessman. YOU ARE A WHITE WANNABEE FROM THE OC WHO IS ON PROBATION bwaahahahahahahahah. WHo has a life. Oh yeah fuck the racsist woods. This isnt county or the pen foolio. Think I give a fuck about a wood LOL WHen the fukk have you ever heard me talk about prison politics??? I aint never done a goddamn thing for a wood and I never will eminim. Do I know real bangers ahahaha. I actually know people from this board who can confirm who I am, DO YOU?????? Didnt think so slim shady. I'm a confirmable vato from a 70+ year old varrio who made something of himself. Your whiteboy from OC who emulates Snoop Dog haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » March 11th, 2005, 11:42 am

both you guys are being idiots,
the only person you can hurt on here is yourself,
the lies you tell with come back to hurt you, plus do you really want to have some stupid internet forum argument stiring around in your mind at your idle moments?
well dwell on it and when you get hypertension and hemeroids just remember that its your fault.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 11th, 2005, 12:56 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:both you guys are being idiots,
the only person you can hurt on here is yourself,
the lies you tell with come back to hurt you, plus do you really want to have some stupid internet forum argument stiring around in your mind at your idle moments?
well dwell on it and when you get hypertension and hemeroids just remember that its your fault.

kick rocks homie. ain't nobody lyin bout shit. Gibby just mad cuz he from a 70 year old hood and ain't never done nothin. And businessman? What are oranges goin for these days?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 11th, 2005, 1:03 pm

this is getting stupid now.
This is what I have been talking about. People might come one here to read an interesting string about kneww high tube socks, and by the time they get to the end of it, it sounds nearly like my kids going at it. If any one wants to start another post on this topic feel free.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » December 26th, 2015, 11:29 pm

SILENCIO wrote:To wear shorts with the knee high socks, cause ive seen some asians doing it but i thought that was mostly a hispanic thing, just wanna know who started that.
thats when Tube sock were common. Now there are so many sock styles. But whomever popularized the tube socks may have started it.
Attachments
tube-socks.jpg
tube-socks.jpg (4.4 KiB) Viewed 10948 times