Pride , UFC fights dominated by Latins...

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
AMAR420
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Pride , UFC fights dominated by Latins...

Unread post by AMAR420 » March 21st, 2005, 6:56 pm

tito ortiz, vanderlei silva , vitor belfort , the shamrock brothers (part mexican/native) the brazilian cage fighters....and this massive dude called cabbage guerrera...who beat down this big fat skinhead honky..etc

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Pride , UFC fights dominated by Latins...

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 21st, 2005, 7:04 pm

AMAR420 wrote:tito ortiz, vanderlei silva , vitor belfort , the shamrock brothers (part mexican/native) the brazilian cage fighters....and this massive dude called cabbage guerrera...who beat down this big fat skinhead honky..etc
it might have to do with it being based out of LA, and free-form fighting styles such as kick boxing and various brazilian katas are just no holds barred. I never actually noticed that because ive seen quite a few black and white guys as well as people from other backgrounds. Though latinos dominate the sport the white guy randy coutore is the current champion in the light-heavy division. dan severn has the most titles but i guess theres so many latinos in it beacuse ya do that shit in ya backyard. in harlem we just shoot haha

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » March 21st, 2005, 10:54 pm

Are you talking about Cabbage Correira? I thought that dude was a Hawaiian, he is from Hilo and he had a grip of tribal tattoos, plus I remember Cabbage coming out with BJ Penn during a fight who is another Hawiian guy form Hilo. But you might be right because Cabbage's last name does sound Latino. As for the Shamrock brothers, I had no idea that they were part mexican.

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » March 22nd, 2005, 4:09 am

Its alot of Brazilians in MMA because it is their #1 sport, it is not as popular in other areas of the world besides Japan, who also has alot of champions, the Shamrocks aint even real brothers one or both is adopted

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 22nd, 2005, 4:21 pm

I agree they tend to produce the bost talented fights, espcially the Brazilans. But i wouldn't say they dominate all aspects:

UFC:
Heavyweight: Andrei Arlovski (Belarus)
Light Heavyweight: Randy Couture (USA)
Welterweight: Matt Hughes (USA)
Middleweight: Evan Tanner (USA)

Pride:
Grand Prix 2005 and Heavyweight Champion: Fedor Emelianenko (Russia)
Middleweight: Wanderlei Sliva (Brazil)

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » March 22nd, 2005, 4:33 pm

even when the UFC was still new, there was a black kickboxer that ran shitt for a while. Then there was some other black guy that was champion for a while that had dyed blond hair. I think you're delusional. no one race dominates it.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 22nd, 2005, 7:15 pm

I think you mean Maurice Smith and Kevin Randleman Panik and you are right.

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » March 23rd, 2005, 11:17 am

jboogie wrote:Are you talking about Cabbage Correira? I thought that dude was a Hawaiian, he is from Hilo and he had a grip of tribal tattoos, plus I remember Cabbage coming out with BJ Penn during a fight who is another Hawiian guy form Hilo. But you might be right because Cabbage's last name does sound Latino. As for the Shamrock brothers, I had no idea that they were part mexican.
he's probably a Pinoy since Pinoys have spanish surnames. and lots of Hawaiians are actually Pinoy by blood.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » April 26th, 2005, 9:25 am

AMAR420 wrote:tito ortiz, vanderlei silva , vitor belfort , the shamrock brothers (part mexican/native) the brazilian cage fighters....and this massive dude called cabbage guerrera...who beat down this big fat skinhead honky..etc
#1. MMA is HUGE in Brazil, so thats where alot of fighters come from.

#2. Cabbage Guerra is a b*tch. And that "fat skinhead" that you are refering to was Tank Abbott. Hes not a skin head. Hes Irish. How do I know? I'm f*ckin related to him, so watch your f*ckin mouth, cause if you ever talked that sh*t to the man's face, hed break it for you.
The reason I say Cabbage is a b*tch is because of that fight. Tank had a cut on his eye, and they MADE him stop. The ref said it was too big of a cut. He was pissed, and our whole corner was pissed. Cabbage then started dancing like he actualy knocked him out or something. Tank got pissed, a guy in our corner threw a water bottle at him, and his corner jumped in the ring, so we jumped in too. Our team was fined, and so was Cabbage's.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » April 26th, 2005, 9:29 am

By the way, it not Guerrara, its Correira. Hes from Hawaii. Hes NOT hispanic.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » April 26th, 2005, 12:56 pm

No one can touch the Gracies. Rickson Gracie is the king of NHB fighting.

tony
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tony » April 29th, 2005, 7:13 am

Wanderlei Silva is the boss

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » April 29th, 2005, 11:11 am

He is great.^

PREACH
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PREACH » June 19th, 2005, 3:22 pm

i just wanna get this out there. a hawaiian is not pinoy by blood as playalagra says. i should know, im native hawaiian.

cabbage is actually part native hawaiian and part portugese. hence his last name corierea ( how ever u spell it)
theres a gang of portugese fools out here with that same last name.

but yo bj penn is the truth to bad he aint with ufc no more.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » June 19th, 2005, 3:29 pm

Helms wrote:No one can touch the Gracies. Rickson Gracie is the king of NHB fighting.
all of the gracies are insane. alot of them are undefeated too

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 21st, 2005, 9:45 am

I was in Brazil with Tank when he was defeated by Pedro Rizzo.
Pedro was just better that night. I met him afterwards backstage. We had a translator with us since we dont speak portugeese. Hes a good guy. He also shows alot of respect to everyone he talks to.

UFC is HUGE in Brazil, and if anyone gets a chance to go there, go see a mixed martial arts show. Its realy different down there.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 21st, 2005, 9:53 am

MICK wrote:

#2. Cabbage Guerra is a b*tch. And that "fat skinhead" that you are refering to was Tank Abbott. Hes not a skin head. Hes Irish. How do I know? I'm f*ckin related to him, so watch your f*ckin mouth, cause if you ever talked that sh*t to the man's face, hed break it for you.
The reason I say Cabbage is a b*tch is because of that fight. Tank had a cut on his eye, and they MADE him stop. The ref said it was too big of a cut. He was pissed, and our whole corner was pissed. Cabbage then started dancing like he actualy knocked him out or something. Tank got pissed, a guy in our corner threw a water bottle at him, and his corner jumped in the ring, so we jumped in too. Our team was fined, and so was Cabbage's.
By the way, I just got the dvd of this event. (UFC 45 10th anniversary)
and in the cabbage/Tank match, you see me alot. Both when I walk in with Tank, during the brawl, but the best shots of me are after the brawl.
If anyone has the DVD, I am wearing a POW/MIA leather vest and a blue bandana on my head. After the brawl, Tank walks over to me, right in front of the camera, and gives me a five for taking his back so quickly. Right when there was a guy from Cabbage's team that jumped over the cage to get to Tank, and I crossed him in the jaw. Unfortunanty, you dont see that, because they do not want to portray UFC as an unproffesional event. Infact, Joe Rogan (the announcer) was saying the whole time that "this is bullsh*t, and its not what UFC is about".

Anyway, look for me.

~Mick

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » June 21st, 2005, 12:03 pm

Cool Mick. I'll try to check it out for sure. I've been a Tank fan since he first entered UFC. F*ck Cabbage. The guy's a joke.

I'd love to go to Brazil. Some guy's I train with are going down this month for some BJJ camps. I can't afford it this year, but it's an annual thing so maybe next time.

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » June 21st, 2005, 4:32 pm

The absolute best NHB fighter is Chuck Liddell. He beat Coture. The Gracies are old news. You all just dont want to face facts, the best fighters and the strongest guys are all white boys....And I got news for ya, all my classes are getting fuller and fuller with young white guys and girls and Im not bragging when I tell you there is some lion hearts coming up...

http://www.power-viking.com/

http://www.strengthathlete.com/

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/

http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/WSL/ ... inals.html

Look whos on the cover of the UFC homepage....

http://www.ufc.tv/

http://www.ufcfightnews.com/

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » June 21st, 2005, 4:40 pm

You think Brazil is crazy, check the fights in Tijuana and Ensenada! THEY DONT STOP THEM PERIOD. Anyone can enter, we go down about once every 2 months and blow off some steam. I FUCKING LOVE IT!

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » June 21st, 2005, 9:43 pm

AcmeWhiteBread wrote:The Gracies are old news.
old news but legends. 2pac n big are old news 2 but there legends

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 21st, 2005, 11:55 pm

Hey ACME, your a trainer? I didnt know that. So am I. Where is your gym at?

PREACH
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PREACH » June 22nd, 2005, 1:21 am

man i dont care whut race is holdin ufc down. i support anyone doin the damn thang. im just a fan of the sport.

shadoworder
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by shadoworder » June 23rd, 2005, 12:30 pm

you are confusing race and culture.A lot of these "latins"racially are white.and ken shamrock is italian,his bro is part mexiacn/native american.whites dominate MMA.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 23rd, 2005, 7:58 pm

^That clown was already banned. He was a retard.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 15th, 2005, 7:35 pm

MICK wrote:

Heres a VERY rare photo of that water bottle incident that caused the post fight brawl. Thats Joey Varriano, one of my trainers and best fighters, as well as my childhoos friend, throwing the water bottle at Cabbage.
Cabbage was being a smartass about the whole incident (started doing the cabbage patch dance) Joey told him hes a p*ssy, Cabbage gave him the finger, and Joey returned with a water bottle to the head.
One of Cabbage's trainers jumped over the cage and came at Joey and I crossed him in the chin. I then tried to get at Cabbage, but referees and officials were crowding around him and Tank to keep them in their corners. I walked out with a bump on the forehead cause one of Cabbages guys punched me, and before I could return a hit, my brother crossed him in the eye. When I turned around, some little prick ran around the cage and jumped over it onto Tank's back. I grabbed him and pulled him off Tank and threw him on the ground, and then security was all over and it was pretty much F*ck you's and middle fingers from each corner. Anyway, here is Joey Varriano's imfamous bottle throw that started it all.

http://www.ironlife.com/mag/issue5/images/stepback3.jpg

Ryan O'Reiley

NoPeace
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NoPeace » July 27th, 2005, 1:46 am

you the dude was wearing the bandana and leather?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 27th, 2005, 6:38 am

Yea. The MIA/POW jacket and blue bandana.

you saw me?

NoPeace
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NoPeace » July 27th, 2005, 11:06 am

haha yeah man, you're a big dude. i wanted to see you get busy on that dude chuck liddell was talking to. i'm just a youngin but i've beenfighting for a few years. im sidelined with a broken ankle right now though. its cool talking to a guy involved in the buisness.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 27th, 2005, 12:33 pm

Yea, thanks brother. Chuck Liddel jumped in the cage only to break things up. He actualy wasnt on anyone's side. Chuck is a cool guy. GREAT fighter. In my opinion, the best UFC has right now.

So you'se been fighting for a few years? How old are you?
Whats your style?

How'd you break the ankle brother?

NoPeace
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NoPeace » July 27th, 2005, 2:10 pm

i'm only 19 but i've got a few fights under my belt. i've trained in a few styles. i started back when i was a little kid with Gojy Ryu karate and then moved on to kick boxing and BJJ, and now i've just got a nice blend of those basic styles that i work with. i broke the ankle in a street fight, got jumped by three dudes and during the fight somehow it broke, my adrenelaine was flying though and i didnt notice it till it was all over. and i agree with you about liddell, he's a really talented dude. amazing fighter.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 27th, 2005, 4:35 pm

I know how the adrenilene thing goes.
I got stabbed in the leg in a bar when I was about 23, and kept fighting, and ended up winning. The doc told me it severed a nerve and I had to undergo surgery. He told me the adrenaline was also the thing that saved me from bleeding to death, it helped my blood clot quicker and tighter.

I have many adrenaline storys. hahaha. Its natures drug.

Well you sound pretty well versed in your styles. Whats your standings?

If your ever in the Chicago area, I have a gym here you are welcome to check out. We have both boxing and UFC rings, so feel free to stop in brother.