Reggaeton rap

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
cashville
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Reggaeton rap

Unread post by cashville » March 27th, 2005, 6:11 pm

anybody like dis shyt or not?daddy yankee is iight cant half way understand what he sayin but he's iight NORE's tryin 2 start a label on def jam for reaggaeton artist i dunno well see how big this thing blowz up in the us.

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Reggaeton rap

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 28th, 2005, 6:08 am

cashville wrote:anybody like dis shyt or not?daddy yankee is iight cant half way understand what he sayin but he's iight NORE's tryin 2 start a label on def jam for reaggaeton artist i dunno well see how big this thing blowz up in the us.
If you were latino, you wouldn't be asking this question. Of course those who aren't fluent in Spanish won't necessarily like this genre of music because they won't be able to understand what is being said. People will like the catchy beats and background music. Understand that this is a movement that will open up alot of doors for hispanic artists of all nationalities. This has been an underground movement for years and now it's blowing up. It's good to finally see alot of hispanic artists getting the credit they deserve for all the hard work they've been putting in.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 28th, 2005, 7:27 am

reggaeton is wus poppin right now, i might pump that Tego Calderon every once in sec. dont sleep, them cats got talent

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 28th, 2005, 7:38 am

purplecityhello wrote:reggaeton is wus poppin right now, i might pump that Tego Calderon every once in sec. dont sleep, them cats got talent
What you know bout that Tego! HAHA That boy is crazy.. Straight up BORICUA! Went to see him here in H-Town and he is off the chain. He is on everyones shit with the remixes.

mamlook
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mamlook » March 29th, 2005, 11:47 am

I was chilling with Tego and then 2 weeks later got to hang with Lito & Polaco on Miami Beach ... ironic huh? hehe Tego is a real dude, he is more smarter than people think.

Yeah I told everyone reggaeton was gonna hit the US mainstream, now Im just smiling! :wink:

BlueCadillaC167
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueCadillaC167 » March 29th, 2005, 1:13 pm

I don't like it but from time to time I might hear somethin aiight. I'm Latino myself and sometimes I can't understand what some artisit be sayin. It be soundin ingorant sometimes.

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 29th, 2005, 2:40 pm

BlueCadillaC167 wrote:I don't like it but from time to time I might hear somethin aiight. I'm Latino myself and sometimes I can't understand what some artisit be sayin. It be soundin ingorant sometimes.
If you don't speak "Spanish" fluently it makes no sense. If you're latino what's with the ebonics? "... I can't understand what some artists BE sayin" or "It BE soundin ignorant" that shit sounds ignorant homie. If you're latino then be latino. You can't speak street slang spanish and expect to understand the music. It's deeper than just some words, you have to understand old "refranes" in order to know what they are talking about.

Take Tego Calderon for example. That man is highly educated. He looks like a common thug, but don't get it twisted homies. His dad is a politician in PR and his mom is a school teacher. If you listen to his rhymes, the words he chooses are not common words that are used in everyday conversation. You have to really know the language in order to relate.

To Mamlook.. West up Boricua?? There is a big MEGATON concert here on 4-10. Everyone is gonna be there.

BlueCadillaC167
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueCadillaC167 » March 29th, 2005, 9:53 pm

Yo ?? Shady?? for the record I am Blacc and Latino. I'm from the bronx and I know Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, and cats from all over the place who speak English language just like me. You can be latino and speak in ebonics. No matter what way you put it we all the same. So there isn't a proper way to speak no matter what your race. And if I can't speak slang spanish and listen to that music then tell what fucc gasolina is cuzz I know gasolina aint spanish for the gas people buy at gas stations.

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 30th, 2005, 7:05 am

BlueCadillaC167 wrote:Yo ?? Shady?? for the record I am black and Latino. I'm from the bronx and I know Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, and cats from all over the place who speak English language just like me. You can be latino and speak in ebonics. No matter what way you put it we all the same. So there isn't a proper way to speak no matter what your race. And if I can't speak slang spanish and listen to that music then tell what fucc gasolina is cuzz I know gasolina aint spanish for the gas people buy at gas stations.
Of course some of the lyrics are in slang, my point was that if you arent fluent in the language you will not understand the lyrics. Speak how you like homie. The way you choose to speak just shows what you choose to identify with. You say that you are from the bronx, cool homie, I have family all over the bronx and brooklyn. You say you can be latino and speak in ebonics... listen to yourself. Go to PR and speak like that and see what happens and how the people react to you. Don't just say you are latino, understand your own culture then homie, cuz if you did you wouldn't be speaking that way.

BlueCadillaC167
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueCadillaC167 » March 30th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Now what you takin bout. How we go from reggaeton to understanding cultures. Don't worry about me knowing my culture. I know who I am.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 30th, 2005, 4:59 pm

alotta rican cats i know dont speak any spanish, and for the most part reggaeton is good in doses at a party or sumtin. but too much of it sends me into a bad place haha

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 31st, 2005, 6:27 am

purplecityhello wrote:alotta rican cats i know dont speak any spanish, and for the most part reggaeton is good in doses at a party or sumtin. but too much of it sends me into a bad place haha
Hey homie a rican cat that doesn't speak spanish is not a real Boricua. That is an americanized person who's family thinks they need to adapt the white culture in order to succeed. How sad.

mamlook
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mamlook » March 31st, 2005, 7:30 am

??Shady?? wrote:
purplecityhello wrote:alotta rican cats i know dont speak any spanish, and for the most part reggaeton is good in doses at a party or sumtin. but too much of it sends me into a bad place haha
Hey homie a rican cat that doesn't speak spanish is not a real Boricua. That is an americanized person who's family thinks they need to adapt the white culture in order to succeed. How sad.
Ull be suprised...more and more families are not pushing their kids to learn spanish like they use to. Alotta Ricans here in Florida know spanish, but areas north tri state area got lots of em who dont know no spanish. And even Chicago.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 31st, 2005, 9:32 am

nah the ricans i know are in NY - inner city slums homie- i doubt they tryna be white

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 31st, 2005, 7:57 pm

??Shady?? wrote:

HOW YOU GONNA SAY SOMEONE THAT CAN'T SPEAK SPANISH ISN'T A REAL BORICUA?

MANY OF YALL PUERTO RICANS IN THE UNITED STATES AINT REAL BORICUAS CAUSE YOU AINT FROM THERE YOU WERE BORN IN AMERICA SPANISH IS JUST A LANGUAGE PRESENTE BY YOUR COLONIZERS IT BE NO DIFFERENT IF PUERTO RICANS SPOKE ENGLISH INSTEAD OF SPANISH AND THEY CAME HERE AND NOT SPEKAING ANY ENGLISH.

AMERICAN CULTURE IS NOT WHITE CULTURE IT KIND OF CONSIST OF AFRICAN AMERICANS, NATIVE AMERICANS AND EUROPEAN WHITES AND THEIR DECENDANTS

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » March 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm

100 wrote:
??Shady?? wrote:
You would have to be a straight up Boricua to even feel what I'm saying. And when I made the comment about some adapting to white culture I meant "White", not american. The reason I say that is that many families now believe they must shed anything that will have them classified as hispanic in the corporate world in order to succeed. Families push their kids to speak proper english and look certain ways because of this belief. I am not saying this because it is a belief of mine, rather I have family members and friends' families that behave in this way.

HOW YOU GONNA SAY SOMEONE THAT CAN'T SPEAK SPANISH ISN'T A REAL BORICUA?

MANY OF YALL PUERTO RICANS IN THE UNITED STATES AINT REAL BORICUAS CAUSE YOU AINT FROM THERE YOU WERE BORN IN AMERICA SPANISH IS JUST A LANGUAGE PRESENTE BY YOUR COLONIZERS IT BE NO DIFFERENT IF PUERTO RICANS SPOKE ENGLISH INSTEAD OF SPANISH AND THEY CAME HERE AND NOT SPEKAING ANY ENGLISH.

AMERICAN CULTURE IS NOT WHITE CULTURE IT KIND OF CONSIST OF AFRICAN AMERICANS, NATIVE AMERICANS AND EUROPEAN WHITES AND THEIR DECENDANTS

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » April 1st, 2005, 2:23 pm

TEGOS INTERVIEW1
Esta página no está disponible en español.

Associated Press Newswires

Q&A: Tego Calderon, The Reggaeton King

By NINOSKA MARCANO M.

26 October 2004
Copyright © 2004 Associated Press Newswires. All rights reserved.

NEW YORK (AP) - Tego Calderon is big in New York and Miami. He's huge across Latin America. And in his native Puerto Rico -- forget about it.

So why is his upcoming album titled "The Underdog?"

Maybe because Calderon is king of "reggaeton," a rebellious new style of Latin music composed of rap and dancehall reggae with a Latin twist. And Calderon's political messages, inventive profanity and drug references have enraged many older listeners -- much the way rap once did in the States.

Still, Calderon was nominated for a Latin Grammy in 2003, and has collaborated with superstar rappers like 50 Cent and on the remix to Fat Joe's smash "Lean Back." Now, at age 32, this father of two expects to continue mixing Latin dance tunes with social messages on "The Underdog," his third album, expected sometime next year.

Speaking by telephone from Puerto Rico, Calderon talked in Spanish with The Associated Press about the beginnings of reggaeton; his popularity and unpopularity; and the content of his lyrics.

AP: Can you define reggaeton?

Calderon: Reggaeton is the new way the youth here (in Puerto Rico) express themselves, mainly it was a form of expression among the poor. It started out the same way as hip-hop did. Initially it was totally underground. In a 10-year span people got used to listening to our music, and the music earned a space in radio shows ... but the very few radio programs that aired our music were canceled.

AP: What has been your biggest contribution to reggaeton?

Calderon: When I first started with all these salsa elements, and this different style of flow, everyone criticized me, and laughed at me, saying I was crazy. After the first record, I included drums, bomba, salsa, and now more people are open to experiment, and the same people that critiqued me are now following my trend.

AP: Has salsa lost flavor among young listeners because of reggaeton?

Calderon: It is a mistake to think that way. Young listeners have always listened to music that their parents oppose. Once it was the Beatles, rock, heavy metal, Elvis Presley, and so on. And we are the (new) rebels, but salsa is irreplaceable.

AP: Why do you think your music genre is so unpopular?

Calderon: Because we were coming from the underground, and our message was not so responsible. In the beginning nobody was listening to us, we were only recording so that our buddies in the barrio would listen to our music. All of a sudden everyone was listening to our music. At least here in Puerto Rico, it was playing in the rich neighborhoods, and that's how this campaign against us began. I think there was also prejudice. Most of us (rappers), many of us have had problems with the law, most of us don't have the best education in the world, we don't come from rich families, and we have had to struggle to make a living. We represent the undesirable. I represent the undesirable ones with great pride. But just like (the rich) perceive us as undesirable, we view them as undesirable as well. But now, they have to buy our records.

AP: Why do you think YOU are so popular?

Calderon: Most rap singers came out (in their videos) with expensive cars, and stuff. I come out on a bicycle, and I portrayed someone who was working changing tires. I offered a different angle to life, and I talked about social justice in my lyrics while making people dance.

AP: Do you think the language barrier has held reggaeton back?

Calderon: I have never said this before, but what has made it easier for Tego to actually do the crossover without really intending to, is my skin color. I think that if the African-Americans in the U.S., if I were a person of another race, the same person, the same lyrics, but of another race, I would not have had the same support. Of course there is common ground, for instance my song "Loiza." They understand what I am talking about. For black people this (understanding) is very important and this why they have embraced me. They understand that we are fighting the same war the only thing that is different is the language, and this fills me with satisfaction and pride.

AP: How do you plan to handle the topic of drugs in your songs, so incidents like the ones in Dominican Republic where your show was canceled last March (due to the song "Bonsai") don't happen again?

Calderon: I plan to visit Dominican Republic soon, before the year ends. And when the time comes, I will decide if I will speak to the Dominican Republic press or not. My responsibility in Dominican Republic is with its people, and my fans. And those who don't like my presence in the country will have to present proof of my wrongdoings. You get me? I am simply writing my music for the people, not for the leaders.

AP: What are you going to do about the drugs?

Calderon: What do you mean what am I going to do with the drugs? In my show I don't use drugs, my shows don't induce drug use, that just happened, and that's the end of it. The live shows of Tego Calderon are not about drug usage.

AP: Many people wonder how can someone who is the father of two children feel comfortable about writing songs that have lyrics that include violence, sex, and drugs?

Calderon: Newspapers are violent, and they thrive and live from violence, and journalists have children too. Politicians are violent, and are corrupt, and they lead our countries. Tego Calderon is just another human being, some human beings don't like to show their dark side, but Tego is sincere and allows people to see both sides of him. Since this is not common, I understand that this may cause fear among those that like hypocrites. I am blunt, and I don't have to hide. My son and my daughter are the most important people in the world, and I am the greatest of dads to them. I am better than any of those opposed to my lyrics because I guide them. Parents should first have to deal with soap-operas which teach our young people about sex, adultery, infidelity, aggression, plots to kill people. No one seems interested in fighting against actors.

AP: Now that the music has become international, how do you write responsible lyrics?

Calderon: I have always tried to be what I believe is true to who I am. I can't stop being myself. I didn't ask to be used as no one's role model. I didn't ask for children to like me. I have become more responsible with my personal life ... that is going to be reflected in my music, because I will sound more responsible, but there are still atrocities happening in our world, and I feel my responsibility is to report them, and bring a message to the young ones in a way and a language that they are going to understand it.

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » April 2nd, 2005, 7:45 am

Good post 100..

Sh3LLz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Sh3LLz » April 6th, 2005, 11:27 am

Reggaeton is the WORST shit on the radio right now...

its annoying as FUCC..as if all the latinos didnt have enough music to blast from they damn hondas...

now i gotta hear one of my fav music style get turned into some gwala gwala shit???

if i was carribean id clacc a shot into any gwala i seen perverting my music...

Sh3LLz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Sh3LLz » April 6th, 2005, 11:28 am

and just for emphasis

REGGAETON IS BOOTY!!!!

CARDENAS
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by CARDENAS » April 7th, 2005, 2:53 pm

cashville wrote:anybody like dis shyt or not?daddy yankee is iight cant half way understand what he sayin but he's iight NORE's tryin 2 start a label on def jam for reaggaeton artist i dunno well see how big this thing blowz up in the us.

I Think that shit is weak...but yea most meexicans like me dont like that shit.

mamlook
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mamlook » April 9th, 2005, 4:06 am

Mexicans bout to join reggaeton soon...Reggaeton concerts in Mexico are getting bigger crowds than anyone would believe...Reggaeton going into deep Mexican areas like Cali, Arizona and Tex...

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » April 9th, 2005, 6:41 am

CARDENAS wrote:

I Think that shit is weak...but yea most meexicans like me dont like that shit.
Ey Cardenas don't be so quick to put your race into a stereotype like that. You are speaking from a personal opinion, which you have a right to. But to say "most" mexicans, you have no clue. Out here in Tex the Kumbia Kings are into the reggaeton and call it Reggea Cumbia. The Reggaeton movement is gonna open up the doors for alot of hispanic artists to be able to blow up.

DeaD-SouL
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DeaD-SouL » April 11th, 2005, 6:25 am

Yea i listen to reggaeton sometimes good music when im tired of rap

dippset
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dippset » April 11th, 2005, 1:30 pm

i have seen daddy yankee's song on BET which i dont think belong there i mean dont get me wrong i have no problems with "reggaeton" but if the TV station is Black Ent TV, Y do they have a spanish speaking rapper on that channel and rappin in spanish. I sure u go to a spanish channel they dont have no 50 cent or Jay-z on there.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » April 11th, 2005, 1:33 pm

dippset wrote:i have seen daddy yankee's song on BET which i dont think belong there i mean dont get me wrong i have no problems with "reggaeton" but if the TV station is Black Ent TV, Y do they have a spanish speaking rapper on that channel and rappin in spanish. I sure u go to a spanish channel they dont have no 50 cent or Jay-z on there.
true but they got reggae on there airing as well, and carribean dialect might as well be anutha language. Its hip hop influenced and i mean if BET isnt gonna air it? who is.... telemundo doesnt reach too many people outside of the hispanic consumer base

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » April 11th, 2005, 1:35 pm

the rec center i go to to work out is 80% PR and Dominican. They play this shit non-stop so even though I was feeling some of that Reggaeton at first, I'm sick of that shit now. Because it's nothing but Reggaeton and bad radio joints.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » April 11th, 2005, 2:04 pm

I aint gonna front and i DJ reggaeton is my selection - too much of it will drive you bananas

SAVAGE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SAVAGE » April 11th, 2005, 4:55 pm

MAN REGGAETON SUCKS

I RATHES LISTEN TO SOME NWA THAN THAT SHIT

??Shady??
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ??Shady?? » April 11th, 2005, 5:19 pm

dippset wrote: I sure u go to a spanish channel they dont have no 50 cent or Jay-z on there.
Ey homie put on Mun2 and you will see whatever hip hop artists happen to be hot at the time. It is not about skin color or race, it's about the music. Why shouldn't BET carry the music. You have no problem looking at our women why not get down with the music too.

KrazieShadow
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by KrazieShadow » April 14th, 2005, 4:49 pm

daddy yankee has some perty nice songs

kverdugazo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kverdugazo » June 11th, 2005, 2:53 am

Man I wish reggaetón would go back to the underground where it used to be but a la vez I wanna see my homies get paid. Ya 'toy harto de Daddy Yankee...It was cool back in the day but now u hear the S.O.S. on the radio. La emisora aki en Dallas es una m**** They got some mariconazos runnin' the station here that don't know sh*t about the music... like alot of people nowadays that listen to it. People keep jumpin on the bangwagon...I guess it's something for los mexicanos, centroamericanos,peruanos, etc... pq su musica vale verrrr** jaja no se ofendan! Alot of these latinos ridin' the bachata bandwagon too.

"Aprendí sin pistolas a sobrevivir
Dandome cuenta que el tecato tiene la razon
Aprendí que porque la gallina coma maíz No significa que cague popcorn"