"He's a good black kid."...Racist?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

"He's a good black kid."...Racist?

Unread post by Invincible » May 2nd, 2005, 12:29 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2051357

Longtime Sooners baseball coach resigns

Oklahoma baseball coach Larry Cochell resigned Sunday after reports surfaced of alleged racial remarks he made during an off-camera TV interview, likely ending his 39-year career.

Cochell used the slur after praising African-American freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan before Tuesday's game against Wichita State, which was carried on ESPN2 and ESPNU. Later, in an interview with color commentator Kyle Peterson, Cochell also said, "Dunigan is a good black kid."

Oklahoma President David Boren had met with athletics director Joe Castiglione and campus minority leaders Sunday and also spoke with Dunigan's parents.

Cochell is the fifth-winningest baseball coach in Division I history with more than 1,300 victories, including a national title.

The longtime coach submitted a letter of resignation to President David Boren, who had met hours before with athletics director Joe Castiglione and members of the university's African-American community on the matter.

Boren accepted the letter and said Castiglione has designated Sunny Golloway as interim head coach for the rest of the season.

Cochell had issued an apology and repeated the sentiment in his resignation letter Sunday.

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university. Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people," the letter released by the university read.

"This is a university which celebrates diversity as a source of strength. ... The word that was used has a long and painful history in our nation and deserves unqualified condemnation," Boren said Sunday before Cochell resigned.

Dunigan, African-American teammate Chuckie Caufield and former African-American players at Oklahoma had decried Cochell's comments but said they were out of character.

Cochell, a native of Lebanon, Ore., who played at Arizona State, led the Sooners to the College World Series title in 1994.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: "He's a good black kid."...Racist?

Unread post by NW10 » May 2nd, 2005, 12:46 pm

I can see how it can be looked upon as racist. Some people may think the context of it sounds like hes saying not many african-americans are good so he highlighted the fact he was black or similarly hes good and black and its uncommon. And also people would say it is racist because he mentions his ethnicity. to be correct and un-racist he should have said he is a good kid. regardless of color

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » May 2nd, 2005, 1:24 pm

"There's no n----- in him."

up until he said that everything was fine. it pisses me off that we cant say black, white, or anything like that without being assaulted for racist remarks. there is no problem with these words.

but "theres no n----- in him" takes it over the edge.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » May 2nd, 2005, 1:40 pm

Just read the article. I didnt realise he also said theres 'no n---- in him' A similar thing happened with a football (soccer) manager in England he used the word n---- off air whilst commentating a match. He too also resigned after his comments.

People should think before they speak instead of speaking then having to deal with the consequences. It is obvious that if you use the term n---- when it is un-necessary you will be frowned upon and dealt with. Why say it in the first place, thats what i dont understand, its uncalled for.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » May 2nd, 2005, 1:44 pm

i just herd on ESPN the two black players did not want the coach to be kicked off. just something else to add onto this topic

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » May 2nd, 2005, 3:42 pm

I don't think the comment was appropriate for someone in his position but like it or not a lot of people think this way both black and white. They classify "good" people as black and white and the "bad" people are niggers and poor white trash. The whole incident should have never happened. A person in a position of power like that should be able to use better judgement.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 2nd, 2005, 4:09 pm

simple and plain racism in your face

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » May 3rd, 2005, 8:04 pm

just cause your poor doesn't mean your bad.. being rich doesn't mean your good either... neither does color of skin...
i don't wanna say that being a criminal makes you a bad guy, but it really does, when you get down to it... i might be a good kid inside but ive got assault charges, theft charges and all that other shit...
when people say "ohh hes a good kid, but hes just gotten into trouble" that usually means he is a sociopath, charming with good manners. so i can convince some one that im a good kid but i just as likely to turn around and steal their wallet and cut their throat.. ya know?

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 4th, 2005, 9:30 am

do you love someone WHITEBOY
-try on other occasions as well
-I would like to be your friend ,we would meet now and then,so that my hair could dry faster with your hot steamy air comments.
-virtual means nothing
-if you show your opinion here,saying it is not that bad actually,....where is my wallet?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » May 4th, 2005, 10:16 am

se11 wrote:"There's no n----- in him."

up until he said that everything was fine. it pisses me off that we cant say black, white, or anything like that without being assaulted for racist remarks. there is no problem with these words.

but "theres no n----- in him" takes it over the edge.
^EXACTLY. PEOPLE NEED TO TOUGHEN UP. PUSSIES....

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » May 4th, 2005, 10:18 am

Mraka wrote:do you love someone WHITEBOY
-try on other occasions as well
-I would like to be your friend ,we would meet now and then,so that my hair could dry faster with your hot steamy air comments.
-virtual means nothing
-if you show your opinion here,saying it is not that bad actually,....where is my wallet?

WHAT!!!???? MRAKA, PLEASE DONT MAKE POSTS ANYMORE!!!!

NOTHING YOU EVER SAY MAKES ANY SENSE BROTHER!!!!!1

Kab
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Kab » July 15th, 2005, 10:47 am

purplecityhello wrote:simple and plain racism in your face
No doubt.

But some of the you seem to not understand how I/some feel. Like saying "He's a good kid " is fine but "He's a good black kid" is unacceptable.

The 2 players who don't want their coach gone maybe feel they will be held some how responsible in a twisted form. Maybe they should understand they're the ones who were betrayed by someone they trusted.

I've been inactive too long.