Who Do You Think Is A Media Whore?

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Who Do You Think Is A Media Whore?

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 2:58 pm

What do I mean by this? A person who is always trying to get high volume publicity for themselves (usually by jumping on others peoples band wagon or by doing nothing at all).

Here are my top four.

1. Gloria Allread
2. Paris Hilton
3. Al Sharpton (presently re-reviewing his history)
4. Pimp Master Don Juan
Last edited by Common Sense on May 26th, 2005, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » May 26th, 2005, 3:06 pm

i agree with the paris hilton, why the fuck is she famous for? ive done more shit in my life than that bitch, why is she famous, because she is a rich ditsy blond

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 3:30 pm

You're right. She hadn't done a damn thing. Her goal in life is just to be on TV and get worshiped for doing nothing.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » May 26th, 2005, 4:11 pm

and shes a talentless bitch now gettin movie roles and shit, why not give struggling actors that actaully need money and have talent a shot rather then a bithc that has lots of money and no talent

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 26th, 2005, 4:42 pm

I disagree with Al Sharpton; he does alot that is overlooked by the media. Heard about that guy in compton who got shot at 120 times by the police because they THOUGHT he was someone else? Al Sharpton only uses the media for protest means and a way of spreading a posotive message and informing --- hes far from a whore - he isnt trying to be famous; hes actually one of the few black leaders we have right now ---- far from a whore

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 5:02 pm

^^^Good points. Maybe he's more behind the scenes that I know, I'm just waiting for him to step up to the plate on more sensitive issue's that's less sensationalized. I just think he can use his notoriety more by helping the oppressed be more responsible for themselves.

Everytime I see Al in the media, he is always pointing the finger first.

Good example, when Bill Cosby came out. He wasn't looking for publicity, but he said some sensitive and very truthful things in the media about young people today. He's all about cleaning up his backyard first, before going public and pointing the finger at someone else.

MLK was way before his time. Even today I don't think many knew just how brillant he was. He was not a media whore, but he knew how to use the media.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 26th, 2005, 5:25 pm

seriously what do you know about Al sharpton? this nigga was an ordained minister when he was like 12. He started the National Youth Movement and the NAN in Harlem back in the 70s (action net). He is the voice for people in Brooklyn and black people in all ghettos when they dont have one. He was next to MLK when he got shot if you didnt know --- hes up there with them and just as important when it came to the civil rights movements

remember Louima -- he was there
remember when he protested the Navy iin PR and got locked up in 2001
remember the 1985 Bernard Goetz case
homie theres way too much to bring up on here - i can type for hours but trust Rev Al Sharpton does everything he can do within his powers and he gets the utmost respect from me ---- pointing fingers, its called protesting, its called justice, its called man-ing up for your responsibilites, the government and others taking blaim for their actions --- he will be up there with Mega Evers, Malcolm X, and MLK when he passes on

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 6:27 pm

Good history Purple City, I'll read up on him.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » May 26th, 2005, 6:38 pm

fistfullofboomstick wrote:i agree with the paris hilton, why the fu-- is she famous for?
heard on the news that she had a sextape that was launched threw the internet
lol i also heard it was in nightvision

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » May 26th, 2005, 6:43 pm

^^you can get it off kazaa, limewire, whatever. shes real fuckin ugly too, no butt, no boobs, thin as fuck, 100% rich cracker food fed. shes a real rich daddy's girl, the real whore types that dont know what to do in life u know.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 6:44 pm

Yea I saw it, she has a cheek full. I'm surprise she got so popular after the fact.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » May 26th, 2005, 6:46 pm

people should stop watching the simple life until she comes out with another tape. and that other bitch on there needs to get off. shes uglier and has a worse body than paris.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 6:49 pm

se11 wrote:and that other bitch on there needs to get off. shes uglier and has a worse body than paris.
LOL...you talkin' about Lionel's baby girl...LOL.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » May 27th, 2005, 12:42 am

Al Sharpton is a joke. His whole persona takes away from the seriousness of some of the very issues he is trying to protest. The one episode I love is the undercover FBI video of him discussing a major cocaine deal with former mobster Michael Franzese. The Tawana Bradley incident was found to be a hoax but Sharpton still maintains his position that she was a victim. As far as the Bernard Goetz case goes the guy was a victim of a strong arm robbery plain and simple. He did not randomly shoot 4 black guys because of prejudice. He was surrounded by 4 guys who asked him for money. More than one had previous robbery convictions. He had a gun and used it. If he hadn't reacted maybe he would have ended up being a victim of a brutal beating or worse.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 27th, 2005, 11:40 am

Red Kelly wrote:Al Sharpton is a joke. His whole persona takes away from the seriousness of some of the very issues he is trying to protest. The one episode I love is the undercover FBI video of him discussing a major cocaine deal with former mobster Michael Franzese. The Tawana Bradley incident was found to be a hoax but Sharpton still maintains his position that she was a victim. As far as the Bernard Goetz case goes the guy was a victim of a strong arm robbery plain and simple. He did not randomly shoot 4 black guys because of prejudice. He was surrounded by 4 guys who asked him for money. More than one had previous robbery convictions. He had a gun and used it. If he hadn't reacted maybe he would have ended up being a victim of a brutal beating or worse.
George Bush.... is that you?

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » May 27th, 2005, 2:32 pm

I almost forgot his memorable performance on Saturday Night Live!

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 28th, 2005, 11:48 am

all that ish u posted is nothin more than propaganda from the republicans for Sharpton page --- its crazy that you can even dispute his contribution to civil rights ; obviously youre white -- not to seem racist - I just know you are

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » May 28th, 2005, 11:55 am

i have nothing wrong with al sharpton, but he van be a media whore sometimes.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » May 28th, 2005, 1:23 pm

I came up with all that off the top of my head. I have never seen or heard of a Republican page about Sharpton. I never disputed his contribution to civil rights because I have no idea what he has contributed.
I give hime credit for raising awareness on certain isssues and situations but at the end of the day he is no different than most politicians. He doesn't want to rock the boat too much and wants to maintain the status quo.

I am white and it does not make my opinion any less valid

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » May 28th, 2005, 4:33 pm

The Media Lies. Along with the Industry. All Lies. And Its so sad that people fall into these traps they set. The weak, The Vulnerable. Rebel From Babylon.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 30th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Red Kelly wrote:Al Sharpton is a joke. The one episode I love is the undercover FBI video of him discussing a major cocaine deal with former mobster Michael Franzese.
(AP) The Rev. Al Sharpton has criticized the release of a 19-year-old FBI surveillance tape of him discussing a drug deal, claiming the recording is part of a campaign to smear his name.

"This is nothing but some dirty tricks from some law enforcement officials," the civil rights activist said from Cleveland on Monday night.

The tape, to be aired on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" on Tuesday night, was recorded as part of a government investigation into whether boxing promoter Don King had ties with organized crime.

Sharpton said the taped conversation dated to 1983, when self-described mobster Michael Franzese and an undercover FBI agent posing as a Latin American businessman approached him to discuss promoting boxing matches and musical events.

Sharpton, 47, said that during the course of the conversation, the undercover agent began discussing a cocaine deal. The tape shows Sharpton being offered thousands of dollars to arrange the sale of cocaine.

"The guy had come to me. In the middle of conversation he started talking about how he could cut me in on a cocaine deal," Sharpton said. "I didn't know what this guy was on about. I didn't know if he was armed. I was scared so I just nodded my head to everything he said and then he left."

A message left with the FBI was not immediately returned late Monday.

Sharpton said he didn't hear anything more about the conversation until months later, when federal law enforcement officials confronted him with the tape.

A 1988 report in the now-defunct New York Newsday, citing unnamed sources, said that once confronted with the evidence Sharpton became an informant for the government, at times wearing a wire tap, a charge Sharpton called ludicrous.

"This was investigated over and over again," Sharpton said Monday. "They all admitted nothing had happened and no charges were ever filed."

Sharpton said he believed the tape had been leaked by law enforcement officials to disrupt his potential presidential run in 2004. He scheduled a press conference for Tuesday morning.

"It's a cheap smear campaign, but I think it will end up generating sympathy for what I have been fighting for all these years against government abuses in trying to bring down successful minority businesspeople," he said.

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » May 30th, 2005, 10:00 pm

You expect him to to come clean and tell the truth about a situation where they are not charging him. I saw the tape and Sharpton knew exactly what the hell was going on. He even says something about the man he's with being interested in more than the guy first mentioned. Anybody who has ever been in a room where drugs are being discussed could tell what was going on. To top it all off you got Bryant Gumbel convinced something fishy is going on and you can't get any more liberal than that so that throws the Republican angle out the window. Whether you want to believe it or not behind closed doors Al Sharpton sits at the same table with the same men he defies in front of t.v. cameras and when they say jump he says how high. It's not a black and white issue it's an upper class vs. lower class war thats been raging for hundreds of years.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 31st, 2005, 10:15 am

Red Kelly wrote:It's not a black and white issue it's an upper class vs. lower class war thats been raging for hundreds of years.
Agreed.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 1st, 2005, 1:00 am

Hilton

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 1st, 2005, 1:01 am

Common Sense wrote:
Red Kelly wrote:It's not a black and white issue it's an upper class vs. lower class war thats been raging for hundreds of years.
Agreed.
YES. VERY TRUE BROTHER.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 14th, 2005, 8:59 am

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20050613/111869706000.html

It sucks we have to wait two years. Why cant this b*tch walk now?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 2nd, 2005, 7:41 am

Tom Cruise...Enough already.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 2nd, 2005, 8:18 am

Im sick of how people act like celebs are f*ckin gods and sh*t.
They have TV channels dedicated to their lives (the E channel).
Every time Im in the grocery store, theres magazines that are all over them.... "BRAD PITT WAS WEARING A RING AT THE RED CARPET!! IS HE GONNA TIE THE KNOT WITH WHATS HER F*CK!?" Come on man, get off their nuts. Who f*ckin cares. I remember the funniest thing I saw on TV. My wife's little sister, who is about 15, was watching this show called
"The Fabolous Life Of..." You ever seen this sh*t? Its a show about all the stuff celebs have, or could have with their money.
For example, when I walked in on the show while my wifes little sister was watching, they were saying that Brittney Spears spends an average of like 3,000 a month on coffee. Because she likes a "special" coffee and its worth it for her. And how she bought her sister a car to match an outfit she has. :shock:

They should just change the name of the damn show to "Things that rich people have, and you never will"

Or how about, "people who are better than you"

For christ sake......... GET OFF THEIR NUTS!!!!

WHAT IS WITH THIS F*CKIN OBSESSION WITH FAMOUS PEOPLE!?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 2nd, 2005, 9:45 am

I'm with you on this Mick. Celebrities in general don't do anything except work on T.V. Most if not all are media whores, that's why they went into the business to begin with. Many of them are F'd up people with really good day jobs.

I also feel the average person would donate to worthy causes if they had excess cash.

People are obsessed and impressed by people who are on T.V. who do nothing more than anyone else to elevate humankind.

Who cares if Tom Cruise loves what's her name!

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 2nd, 2005, 6:31 pm

Exactly Common.

Whenever Im channel surfing, and I stop on some E hollywood channel show, where they are all over some celebrity's nuts, I think.... Who would sit and watch this crap? Who gives a f*ckin sh*t what J-Lo and Ben Afflek are doing for thier summer vacation? Who cares if the kid from Dawson's Creek is dating someone? Why would someone sit and watch others lives?
LIVE YOUR OWN!!!!

And I'll tell ya somethin else, if I was famous and I had some sh*thead paparazzi takin pictures of me while I'm out with the wife, Id f*ckin stab him.

Anyway, that life can be acheived, but you wont get there by watching it. You gotta chase it.

~Mick

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » July 2nd, 2005, 6:52 pm

Ever notice thats somethin they fail to mention?

They show kids all the great sh*t their idols have, but never push the fact that with a little hard work, they can have it too.

I'll tell ya another show thats great is MTV's CRIBS.

A show where these celebs give a tour of their incredible houses, and try to act half assed about it as they show you the million dollar sh*t they have. Master P points to a room made of gold, and says.. "Aint no thang"

:shock: IF IT "AINT NO THANG", LET ME HAVE IT!!! ILL PAWN THE SON OF A B*TCH AND PUT MY KID THROUGH COLLEGE!!!

People like tours of houses huh? Here I got somethin for you retards...

How you doin? Im Ryan O'Reiley, this is my downtown Chicago flat, located in working class Wrigleyville. Watch the dog sh*t on the carpet on your way in. Hate to have ya step in that. This is it.....thats my TV I got for 20 bucks at the goodwill, Thats the sofa that used to be my great uncles. Only thing the cheap bastard left me. Thats my son Dallas, he's playing with a G.I. JOE/Ninja Turtle. Whenever his toys break, we glue the different peices together. Thats why Leonardo the turtle has a crew cut and an M16 assault rifle, and Sargeant Stone has a sword and some ninja stars. Lets move to the kitchen shall we? ROACHES ROACHES ROACHES ROACHES!!!!!! Look at em all!!! Hey, theres wiggles! we named him wiggles cause I tried to kill him, but just broke off his back legs, so now he runs funny.
In the fridge... Milk, Beer, Beer, Lunchables, and hey! Another beer!
Whats upstairs? What the f*ck you think this is? the playboy mansion? Just one floor retard! And theres the door again! Dont let it hit you in the ass on the way out!

See, Im celebrity material right?

GrooveStreet
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GrooveStreet » July 6th, 2005, 11:45 am

Paris Hilton