"Home of the Body Bags" by Terrell Wright (2005)

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » August 22nd, 2005, 4:49 am

Can someone give me the ISBN number of the book so i can order it?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 26th, 2005, 9:05 pm

you can read the first chapter of this book on line at:

http://www.streetgangs.com/bibliography/gangbib.html

just scroll to the bottom and look for Wright, Terrell and click on "Chapter 1"

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » August 30th, 2005, 1:20 pm

oh, you are crazy, he depiction of prison life, from the gang module in the county, to being in the whole, to the penitiarary yards, to fighting with Mexicans, etc.
Monster did the same thing already...wut wuz new here?
This book was a bit more passionate, and more broader than Monster's book, and it is certainly not a rip off. That's like saying Loko ripped off his life from someone else. No way partner.
i didnt think so, saying the book is a rip off is no way saying loko ripped off his life from someone else, i'm saying the style in which it was written and the way the subject matter is discussed is in my opinion a rip off of monster kody's book, the way he compares gangs to an organized army and such and using military tactics like a general when in reality gang warfare is not really that organized, the romantized way its written is similar to monster and in my opinion somewhat unreal compared to how it really goes down...........

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 30th, 2005, 1:50 pm

do you think Monster invented talking about gangs with military references? Thats is old. Monster was the first to write a book about la gangs as a gang member. But Loko didnt rip anything off.

In fact, Loko has been around just as much as Monster Kody, and has actually served more time in prison and been to more prisons. I think Lokos insight on prison life was much more detailed, from the juvenile, YA, County, to the Pen. that's because he has spent so much more time in prison and he is currently serving a life sentence now. Loko may never come home.

They are both good reads though. Also, Monster made up names in his book and throws off the history of certain events. Loko used real names and actual events. Many things in Monster's book cannot be verified because according to some, they never happed. Lokos book is more passionate, because everything thing in his book was real. The publishers of Monster's book probably wanted to added drama.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » August 30th, 2005, 5:35 pm

i read both and honestly

monsters's book couldnt hold my attention
it seemed fictional in most accounts
an old man embelishing stories of his glory days
reminded me of donald goines

Loko's book was real grit and grime
it took you to the scene of the crime
it was real

and thats what we all want now isnt it?
realism...someone who can prove their war stories
and thats what this is

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » August 31st, 2005, 12:57 am

the most interesting part of this book is when the tensions with the hispanic gang Harpys wuz discussed, this wuz something that wuznt around in Monsters time...., most of this book is written about recent events compared to monsters which is mostly about the late 70s and early 80s

J-Hogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-Hogg » September 15th, 2005, 6:17 pm

this is a autobiography right?

i like those kind book more then them other books about gangs by someone who never banged a day in their life & is jus talkin a bunch of BS.

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Word » September 18th, 2005, 10:07 am

I just ordered my copy from SG today.

How long will it be before I recieve it?

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Word » September 23rd, 2005, 1:07 pm

I just got my copy last night and I'm on page 90-somethin' despite school. This is a page turner for sure.

Anyone know where a picture is of OG Loko?

SkoobyDoo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SkoobyDoo » September 23rd, 2005, 3:27 pm

Word wrote:Anyone know where a picture is of OG Loko?
I thought there was a picture of him on the Rollin 20's page, but i don't see it anymore.

youngwun
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngwun » October 15th, 2005, 4:57 pm

Two things...
why cant bloods and crips be all over america? gangster disciples are all over the place and vicelords are all over the plcae but you dont see them b-tchen about it. why not be proud that your nation has grown? i take that sh-t asd a big compliment that bloods and crips are in other states and countries we know some are fake off brands and the thing i dont like is the ones that clame the exactly same sets as cali for example
This aint the right topic for this, but I gotta respond. GD's and VL's were/are supposedly about the improvement of the black kommunity, kreating something strong and positive, i.e. the whole Growth and Development thang. It's okay for that to be worldwide because if niggaz is true to it, shit will ckhange and grow, but of kourse it's just a koverup for kats hustlin and killing. The forefathers of that game are sick of the violence and wanna talk down on these young kats but they started it and let it grow. Like it or not, this Bloodin and Krippin thang started to protect OUR neighborhoods... LA's neighborhoods. We lookin out for ourselves and it all started because of shit that went down IN LA, not anywhere else. I kant say yall niggaz might not be able to relate, thats fine, but it's specific to our streets. We aint about the improvement of our streets. We about keepin niggaz out of our neighborhoods, pushin their shit and makin our money and shooting our homies and family. Don't get it twisted. We live and die for the blocks we were born on, this aint no game, and it aint about making any of us a star, but just keeping what's ours ours.

As far as "Home of the Body Bags" goes, I liked it a lot better than "Monster", which is still a good read. Terrell Wright's insight on gangbanging kame across a lot more human than Kody Scott's. Dude showed weakness, fear and never tried to kome off as invincible. When he did feel invincible, it was more a lack of kare for what happened to himself than truly thinking he was unstoppable. His admitting to the kountless times he tried to get out of the drug and gang game is admirable... a lot of niggas, especially OG's wouldn't dare say anything like that. Dude didn't kome off like a mark either... he kame off like anyone with a heart and a brain. Definately the best book I've read on the topic... better than "Monster" and much better than "Do or Die".

So he's doing life for that jail heist? That's some heavy shit. Life without parole or 25 to life?

T~

Unread post by T~ » October 15th, 2005, 6:38 pm

yeah i agree with what you said about the book youngwun, but i got kinda bored reading about his women and the prison stuff got a bit boring towards the end too...

youngwun
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngwun » October 16th, 2005, 7:21 pm

I hear you, but I think all the detailed information about the women and what not was just him trying to put himself back in that place mentally... it's obviously been a long time since he's been with a girl, so I kant blame him. Let him focus and dwell on it if it's gonna make his stay go by faster.

poohman

bloods and crips in prison

Unread post by poohman » November 5th, 2005, 8:17 pm

When i was reading loko's book (home of the bodybags) i was amazed by the fact that bloods and crips had to unite in prison because of the mexicans and the white boys this is the second time i heard this,og bruno from 62 brims talk about this topic in the 1992 book uprising pg165 quote "all before i got to folsom i was gang banging fighting crips then as soon as i get to folsom line all the og homiez was saying "we don't gang bang in here it's all about fighting mexicans and white boys we need each other".I go to my cell and say damm this doesent make any sense we have all these young brothers messing up their lives getting life sentences behind killing each other and then when you go to the pen top level youre told by yo people there's no bangin".end quote. my take on this is if bloods and crips can get along in the pen why not in the streets.

Anonymous20

Re: bloods and crips in prison

Unread post by Anonymous20 » November 6th, 2005, 11:21 pm

jdub wrote:When i was reading loko's book (home of the bodybags) i was amazed by the fact that bloods and crips had to unite in prison because of the mexicans and the white boys this is the second time i heard this,og bruno from 62 brims talk about this topic in the 1992 book uprising pg165 quote "all before i got to folsom i was gang banging fighting crips then as soon as i get to folsom line all the og homiez was saying "we don't gang bang in here it's all about fighting mexicans and white boys we need each other".I go to my cell and say damm this doesent make any sense we have all these young brothers messing up their lives getting life sentences behind killing each other and then when you go to the pen top level youre told by yo people there's no bangin".end quote. my take on this is if bloods and crips can get along in the pen why not in the streets.
Bloods and Crips uniting in prison is old, and goes back to the 1980s especially for those in Level 4. So many are so shocked to know that Bloods and Crips have to get along in prison, because they are so brainwashed by what they see and hear in the media and from ignorant sources.

poohman

Unread post by poohman » November 7th, 2005, 10:11 am

Thats true alonzo but don't you think if all the ygs out there that have never been to prison killing for the hood knew this would think about their gang life in a different light.

Pom

Unread post by Pom » November 24th, 2005, 8:53 pm

I am presently reading a copy of the book, bought from this site, which I am finding very interesting. I do remember Monster to be a little more exciting given the detail of all his exploits, but then I would prefer to read the truth, which "Home of the Body Bags" seems to be.

One thing though, I don't know who proof-read the book prior to publishing, but they didn't do a very good job.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Loko: Home of the Body Bag

Unread post by xxx » January 2nd, 2006, 6:20 pm

im gonna play book critic today, since a ran through these books........

I was disappointed in this book and had doubts, at first, on this dudes stories....

I look for history, and dude had none. Dude wasnt old enough to enlighted the reader on any true history on NHB/20s, its orgins, or how the clicks developed and spread to Mid City, but he could of ran some stories passed on to him from older heads .

After reading Monster / Tookie, the bar is raised a little higher for gang members writing books. Took and Monster spoken on historical events in the gang world, Loko did not.

The book is more centered on him and his girl friends. He speaks too much on his female relationships.......

As far as his gang stories go, I thought he had extras with all that calculating talk, especially his jail stories. He mention some names that i knew and mention times and dates he was in L.A county.

To my surprise, his stories were real and not extras. Niggas i know, that were in there with him and his crimmees,say he was that type of dude in the system and the streets.................

Its alright book, not a must read if your into History............

guardsman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Washington
What city do you live in now?: Seattle

Unread post by guardsman » January 3rd, 2006, 5:37 pm

I'm a white boy from Washington State and was really liked both Monsters & Loko's books.

I don't like reading at all, but yet I could not put these books down. I guess it's because I grew up in such a different atmosphere and never seen what true gang banging was like.

I would say if anyone wants to know what true gang banging is about, Monster & Body Bags would be good reads!

exsdustynig
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by exsdustynig » April 25th, 2006, 12:05 am

is it as good as monsters book

youngwun
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngwun » May 12th, 2006, 6:31 pm

The only thing I dug a bit more about Monster's book was the time period.

Villian

Unread post by Villian » May 20th, 2006, 10:57 pm

i thought monsters book was better...I couldnt put it down and even Cee loc's book "inside the crips" was better. Both of those books were more fast paced. I also liked how monsters book evolved because he started talkin about the CCO and thats some shit you dont ever hear anyone talkin about. Not to dog on "home of the body bags" I would definately buy another book if he wrote one.

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » November 10th, 2006, 8:26 am

Home of the Bodybags is amazing,much better then Monster or Inside the Crips.When i started reading it i couldn't stop.I read the whole book in four days.If there ever must be a movie about gangsters then here is the perfect script for a movie.It had everything in the book from betrayel to loyalty,from hate to love to sex,action reaction,every aspect of emotions was flying in this book..Can't wait for the sequel.

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dinky » January 21st, 2008, 2:38 pm

Home of the bodybags is a good read and refreshing to see from the red side of the color bar.I've read monster and inside the crips and if i had to put them in best read order it would be MONSTER first,BODYBAGS second and INSIDE crips third as it is just a blatant ripoff of monster.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » January 24th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Word wrote:I just got my copy last night and I'm on page 90-somethin' despite school. This is a page turner for sure.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » January 25th, 2008, 1:11 pm

alexalonso wrote:
Word wrote:I just got my copy last night and I'm on page 90-somethin' despite school. This is a page turner for sure.

thats the same pciture in Allhood Magazine, Issue 3.

FLUID
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by FLUID » January 25th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Naw Loko's book wasn't all that good to me like Monster's shit.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm

whens part 2 commin out?

Word
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Word » January 25th, 2008, 8:59 pm

NikexCortez wrote:whens part 2 commin out?
There's a book by him called Revelations of an Ordinary Childhood... Dunno if it was recently released or what?!?! But I just finished reading it about a week ago... Goes into more depth about his childhood (more than Home of the Body Bags). A good book--talks about his fights (King of the Block/School status), moving around the neighborhood, his daily life, the mischieviousness he got into as a kid, how he became infatuated w/ the gang members, how he met and joined NHB, and some missions he did while in the gang, and how he got sent to camp.

leonr
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

home of.....

Unread post by leonr » April 15th, 2008, 11:10 am

is he going or he already published his second book; I used to read this forums a couple of years ago, can somebody tell me about this, will be apreciated. Thank You.

moblack

Unread post by moblack » April 15th, 2008, 7:10 pm

I just purchased on Amazon.

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: home of.....

Unread post by dinky » June 5th, 2008, 11:45 am

leonr wrote:is he going or he already published his second book; I used to read this forums a couple of years ago, can somebody tell me about this, will be apreciated. Thank You.
Second book is already published.