Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas influences crime?

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas influences crime?

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 20th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Have you heard of the person that killed a few cops and they believe that he learned how to assault police through the game, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas? There is a lawsuit against the game for alleging that the game teaches and influences violence. I received the message below from someone that is studying this.

------------------
I am giving a presentation on the dangers of gang-related video games,
more specifically Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I was hoping for
some feedback about this game and the challenges you might have faced
when dealing with kids that play this game or other games similar to
it. How has law enforcement and those woorking with gangs been
responding to this problem? what is the impact of these specific
video games on our youth? Do you or your agency try to implement any
programs or discussions about gang-related videos?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 20th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Well even though I enjoy playing the game on free time, I understand it's full of stereotypes and just enforces the bad image of blacks in general. Just like with gangsta rap, I mean you got all those fools rapping about negative BS glorifying it (stupid materialism, pimpin, blablabla most of the time without even having lived through and through, empty lyrics), plenty of people believing everything word for word and thinking it's cool to copy and imitate. Makes me think about that movie I just saw recently on TV 'Hollywood Shuffle', it's the exact same thing over again only now it's through videogames as well. I gotta admit it's the first game though I'd classify like that but it deserves its spot.

69_glock_rocker_69

Unread post by 69_glock_rocker_69 » June 20th, 2005, 5:36 pm

i saw a stripper in San Andreaas so i decided to become one
now i make $400.45 an hour, plus all the pearl necklaces i want

BlueCadillaC167
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueCadillaC167 » June 20th, 2005, 11:08 pm

The Cat that went out and assaulted cops is a knuccle head. Children with the game should be able to differentiate between real and fake. You just can't blame the game its just that that kid is stupid.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 20th, 2005, 11:47 pm

Havent ever heard of anyone gaining behavioural changes from GTA San Andreas overhere, however, a young teenager in Leicester, England killed a friend of his after being obsessed with the Manhunt videogame.

ogcjm
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ogcjm » June 21st, 2005, 1:15 am

69_glock_rocker_69 wrote:i saw a stripper in San Andreaas so i decided to become one
was that really called for but it was funny LOL

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

german

Unread post by Mraka » June 21st, 2005, 7:52 am

In "germany" a 12 (or so) grader went to his school and killed 15 poeple.
He shot many teachers :He was armed heavily.Killed himself ,too.
He possesed gun equipment legaly as he was a gunclub member,and about to fail class in school.(hppened in ERFURT)
Afterwards there was a big discussion about wargames,cause him was addicted to play Counterbrike.
-Homie told me that the brain canhardly handle the amount f colours BS2 can produce,so read and follow the instruction of it.

-There are times when playing is better than running amok,but Army tries to recruit teen with their own simulations on pc,so I think they are sure about the knowledge they share.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 21st, 2005, 3:40 pm

69_glock_rocker_69 wrote:i saw a stripper in San Andreaas so i decided to become one
i dont know if you are being sarcastic...what is your point.? thanks

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 21st, 2005, 4:20 pm

My students (around 10-11 years old) tell me that there parents let them play the game because they know the kids are mature enough to handle a game like that and that they would NEVER do anything that they see in the game.

The students who are not allowed to play the game easily overcome thier parental obstacles - they go to a friends house or simply borrow the game. Many have paid a friend's older brother OR EVEN PARENT to buy the game for them since their parents refuses to do so.

I haven't noticed a behavior change, but I have noticied that their language has changed. This is also due to other factors, but the kids who repeatedly play San Andreas, in my opinion, are more likely to use vulgar language in inappropriate places and have a predisposed attitude towards authority.

RestInPeaceBigT
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by RestInPeaceBigT » June 21st, 2005, 7:59 pm

alonso wrote:
i dont know if you are being sarcastic...what is your point.? thanks
STFU

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » June 23rd, 2005, 7:49 am

It's hard to say. I would like to think that people aren't impressionable enough to be influenced by a video game, but then again there's some pretty stupid people out there.

My first reaction is to say no, people won't be influenced by games like Manhund and GTA, but I also have to realize that the people I know who play these games (myself included) are in their mid 20's. I suppose I don't know the long term effects on the mind of an 8 year old. Hopefully kids can differentiate between fantasy and reality.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 29th, 2005, 3:33 pm

^^^theres been a few incidents in England where videogames and tv have been blamed on young children committing violent crime, dont know if they proved it though?

I think that if you can be influenced to copy something like a game or film then you already must have something wrong with you, but at young ages its hard to say: example

Two 10 year old boys in Liverpool England lured a child away and murdered him, however the were deemed fit enough to re-enter society under new identities at the age of 18

Another boy, 14, influenced by manhunt (or obsessed) in Leicester England killed a friend of his Manhunt style. This is the type i mean must already have something wrong with them.

The former example however is harder to say seeing as though the court system thought they were OK to be let back into society. (costing £500,000 of tax payers money to give new identities etc...)

Interested
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Interested » June 29th, 2005, 6:16 pm

I know for a fact i had to get someone over 18 to get my game for me. If the parent bought the game, its the parents fault for the killings not the kids. My 4 year old nephew plays the game alot and is better thatn me (NO FUCKING LIE!) but i had to stop him because he was cussing like crazy!

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 29th, 2005, 10:43 pm

here is a response I read on a gang news list:
--------------------
How many acts of violence have children seen watching cartoons?
I can remember seeing kids acting out cartoon violence. I think
it comes down to the fact that a child will act out in an
antisocial behavior if that is his nature. It takes extreme
effort to change someone's inner makeup for behavior such as
this. Restrict a child's access, I agree, but if there was no
stimulus, the same rotten little antisocial tike will be the
same rotten little antisocial tike.

I have known bangers that would drop you in a heartbeat if it
would benefit them, but have extreme levels of care and compassion
for younger kids and their own children.

In San Antonio, there are multigenerational gangs. I'll say that
lots of them have never played any video games. So where was
the antisocial behavior learned? At home, out on the street, only
as a self preservation model?

I don't have answers to all of this, but I'll sure not blame
antisocial behavior on video games any more than I will blame
rape on Playboy.

Don White
Seguin, Tx
Bexar County SO

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 30th, 2005, 12:24 am

alonso wrote:In San Antonio, there are multigenerational gangs. I'll say that lots of them have never played any video games. So where was
the antisocial behavior learned?
Thats like i mentioned, despite the blame on videogames, there must already be an influencing factor for a person to commit these crimes, i fail to see how/why a child would copy a videogame to the extent of commiting a violent act.

VybzKartel
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by VybzKartel » July 1st, 2005, 5:39 am

I f a person is stupid enought to commit a crime.. I he watches a movie or listens to a song or played a game, he can get influenced by them.

GrooveStreet
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GrooveStreet » July 6th, 2005, 11:51 am

But then he got to do ALOT to get influced by.. but wtf there are 1000 of gun shoting movies and games out

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » July 11th, 2005, 11:45 pm

in a way yes, it influences the kids.

promotes guns
sex
money
drugs
fighting
killing
driving
crashing to other cars
etc.

u know that. or not..

vboyz

Unread post by vboyz » July 19th, 2005, 12:18 pm

shits still fun no matter what..

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » July 20th, 2005, 2:08 am

Yeah i find the game very enjoyable and relaxing the only thing i find a annoying is these little bitch Kids who run around shoutin "GROVE ST 4 LIFE" and i even saw GROVE ST hit up near the underpass down the road from me other than i havent seen any bad problems come out of the game.

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » December 8th, 2005, 2:27 am

Its ridiculous to blame anyones actions on anyone or anything other than the person who commits them.

Obviously there are weak minded, impressionable individuals that can be influenced by anything they see, that is not the fault of the video game industry or anyone else. Thats just how it is.

People like to blame games for other peoples actions because they dont want anyone to do anything they themselves dont approve of. How many adults that proclaim violent video games causes children to misbehave play those games themselves? Not many. This is the same old lame argument that has existed for thousands of years. The nosy conservative "I-want-everything-to-stay-the-same" people will rally and fight and biccer and everything else to keep anything new out of society. Its no cooincidence that the disgustingly evil midieval catholic church WOULD BURN PEOPLE ALIVE for making music they didnt like. There are still people that think books are evil.

G.L.J
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by G.L.J » March 7th, 2006, 9:39 am

North Face wrote:in a way yes, it influences the kids.

promotes guns
sex
money
drugs
fighting
killing
driving
crashing to other cars
etc.

u know that. or not..
Actually it doesn't promote drugs bnecause GSF is against drugs so it makes people think that drugs isn't cool.

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » March 7th, 2006, 11:23 am

That is very well pointed out. The Grove Street Families bang on the other hoods primarily because of their "pusher" tactics, and even settrip on their own Families as a result of the same thing. crack dealers are highly frowned upon by the primary allies of the game, and (not to give anything away to those that havent played yet) causes some rucus between well respected GSF members.

Dregsta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Dregsta » May 27th, 2006, 9:36 am

you cant put all the blame on one specific game even do it might promote gang voilence.It takes time to brainwash a child or a adult.Check disney movies or looney toons when they kick someone in the arse they laught at that.Little doses like that will throughout time eventually graduate to something worse and the media aint helping either.

BlueCadillaC167
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueCadillaC167 » June 1st, 2006, 10:01 am

Word up^

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » June 3rd, 2006, 10:48 am

San Andreas doesn't infulance crime. Stupidity does. :wink:

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » June 5th, 2006, 3:54 pm

So do teletubbies. They tell my children to eat people.

Dregsta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Dregsta » June 17th, 2006, 11:38 pm

teletubies is like a acid trip for children.

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » June 18th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I found a teletubby runnin around in Las Colinas in San Andreas. It was invisible, but it told me to cook and eat my parents. Im afraid of teletubbies now. Me and CJ cant even stroll thru Las Colinas without the fear of an invisible teletubby and its visible army swarming us and making us chant stupid shitt to kids, I think theyre tryin to recruit us.....

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 21st, 2006, 8:48 am

ANOTHER CRAZY QUESTION WHY CANT YOU TAKE OVER OTHER HOODS IN OTHER THE OTHER AREAS OF SAN ANDREAS

I SWEAR I SAW A PICTURE ONLINE GAME SITE IN SAN ANDREAS WHERE THE ASIAN GANGS AND SOME OTHER MEXICAN GANGS WHERE AND THERE WAS A RADAR INDICATING BROWN FOR THAT ASIAN GANG AS IF YOU CAN TAKE THAT OVER LIKE WHEN YOUR YOUR ORIGNAL CITY TAKING OVA BALLAZ AND ETC HOODS

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » June 21st, 2006, 5:01 pm

Hellyeah, they shoulda made it so you could take over hoods everywhere, I guess that woulda stretched system resources too far though. Id like to see a remake (perhaps a genuine Bloods/Crips/Folks/Peoples game) for the next gen systems.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 22nd, 2006, 11:47 am

Comatose wrote:perhaps a genuine Bloods/Crips/Folks/Peoples game.
NO