Proof from D12 shot dead

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Proof from D12 shot dead

Unread post by perongregory » April 11th, 2006, 8:42 am

Proof's dead. these niggas in the hood doin the same ol thangs.

D-12's Proof Shot and Killed in Detroit
Rapper Proof of the hip-hop group D12 was shot and killed this morning at an illegal afterhours club on Eight Mile, police said.

Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, was dead on arrival at Conner Creek Medical Center in Detroit, according to a spokeswoman for St. John Health System. He was 32.

Proof befriended Eminem long before he was a houshold name, and was a nearly constant presence as the rapper rose to superstardom. He toured with Eminem as his on-stage hype man, was a member of his group D12, had a bit role in the "8 Mile" movie and served as the best man at his wedding in January.
An unidentified 35-year-old man, who was shot along with Proof, is in critical condition at Detroit's St. John Hospital.
Police were called to the shootings around 5 a.m, following reports of a fight and shots fired.
The club where it occurred is called 3C, and it's at 8 Mile near Hayes. The club isn't illegal but it was operating illegally after hours.
This is the second shooting involving Eminem's entourage in three months.
Another Eminem affiliate, Obie Trice, was shot and wounded New Year's Eve while driving along the Lodge Freeway.
Anyone with information on the shootings is asked to call Detroit Police at 313-596-2260.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 11th, 2006, 11:34 am

wtf man....

Bo$$
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Bo$$ » April 11th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Never thought that nigga proof would be shot someday. Sad shit..may the brotha rest in peace.

3rdcoasta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 3rdcoasta » April 11th, 2006, 1:50 pm

R.I.P ayo cuzz was nice on the mic and a real nigga

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 11th, 2006, 6:00 pm

that was some sad shit to hear, its gonna be a bit weird watching the toy soldiers video after this....

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 11th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Tayshaun22

Unread post by Tayshaun22 » April 11th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Music, reality... sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » April 11th, 2006, 10:41 pm

I wonder if it had something to do what was going on with him royce the 5'9?

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 12th, 2006, 1:43 am

as far as i heard, that royce and D12 shit was squashed more than a year ago, even though it was squashed , the two of them didnt just kiss and make up and started doing collabs, they just stoped the dissin and did their own thing but yeah

NateDogg
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by NateDogg » April 12th, 2006, 4:31 pm

yeah I heard about this too apparently he got in a fight with a bouncer at a club the bouncer was shot in the head by proof apparently and then anither bouncer shot proof4 times and killed him r.i.p to dude he was nice on the mic :(

Burgundy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Burgundy » April 13th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Update: Proof Murder Suspect Surrenders, Shooter Related To Other Victim

A suspect in the killing of Proof surrendered himself to the Detroit Police yesterday afternoon (April 12).

Mario Etheridge, a 28 year-old bouncer at the Triple C's nightclub, is currently in police custody. According to his lawyer, Randall Upshaw, Etheridge is the cousin of the other victim in the early Tuesday morning shootout, 35 year-old army veteran Keith Bender Jr.

As SOHH previously reported, Angel Bender, Bender's sister-in-law, revealed to the Detroit News that Proof (born Deshaun Holton) and Bender got into a heated exchange of words which lead to Proof shooting Bender. Proof was then shot by someone else.

Authorities confirmed Bender's story and later divulged that Proof pistol-whipped and shot Bender after an argument over a pool game. Proof was then gunned down as he stood over Bender.

According to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, Proof was shot three times in the head and the chest. He was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Conner Creek Village in Detroit. He was 32 and survived by his wife and five children.

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/8739

...over a pool game?

Guage12
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Guage12 » April 13th, 2006, 6:04 pm

DAMN... :shock: Where there goes him being shot "innocently"....

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » April 13th, 2006, 7:14 pm

MTV report: “Proof had it coming” Eyewitneses say he shot 1st

According to a spokesperson for the Detroit Police Department, evidence indicates Proof shot first and then suffered a gunshot wound to the head around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday he was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Holy Cross Hospital. A second victim, who has been identified as 35-year-old Detroit resident Keith Bender Jr., remains in critical condition at St. John Hospital and Medical Center. He also sustained a gunshot to the head.

Police were dispatched to the scene shortly after 5 a.m. Tuesday. The club — which was operating illegally, after hours — had been cleared out by the time they’d arrived. The club did not have a video surveillance system. Several witnesses have come forward to discuss the incident with investigators, but police had no suspects Tuesday night. Police located several shell casings in a parking lot across the street from the club.

Fans have left tributes to Proof (real name: DeShaun Holton), a founding member of the Eminem-fronted Detroit hip-hop collective D12, around the CCC Club (see “Proof: ‘Eminem’s Best Friend’ And A Vital Member Of Detroit’s Hip-Hop Scene”). On a telephone pole in front of the nightspot, fans left stuffed animals and personal messages, and according to The Detroit News, “RIP Proof” was scribbled in red ink at the bottom of the club’s sign. The CCC Club was closed Tuesday night while police continued to comb for evidence and clues.

The CCC Club has been a troubled spot for more than 10 years, according to police spokesperson James Tate, who told the The Associated Press that officers have responded to 18 incidents there since 1996. The most recent visit by police came in December, when members of the city’s vice squad raided the bar and slapped its owners with six violations, most for serving alcohol to minors.

Several of Bender’s relatives spoke with The Detroit News, claiming that Proof shot Bender, and was then shot by someone else. “Some words were exchanged. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time,” Bender’s sister-in-law Angel Bender told the News. “We’re still putting the pieces together.”

Bender, relatives said, is a retired Army staff sergeant and a veteran of Operation Desert Storm. Both he and Proof were at the CCC Club with friends, police confirmed. Authorities have not released any information on what may have led to the altercation, but believe two guns were used during the shooting.

According to ABC News affiliate WXYZ, Bender’s brother, Kyle, was one of the many visitors to the CCC Club Tuesday night. “What I don’t want to happen is for [Proof] to be glorified as another fallen rapper hero,” he told them. “It’s senseless violence that’s right here in our community and we can’t get rid of it.”

“I just don’t know how to feel right now,” D12’s Denaun Porter, known within the group as Kon Artis, told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s crazy because we’re suffering all these losses. We lost Bugz,” an original member of D12 who was shot and killed in 1999 during a picnic at Detroit’s Belle Isle Park. “Now we lost Proof. I just don’t know, you know what I mean? We’re all so messed up. Whatever happened, whoever this dude is, is still around. This is just crazy.”

In a statement released Tuesday, Proof’s label, Interscope, said Tuesday that memorial-service arrangements were still being made and asked that people respect the privacy of Proof’s family and friends. The Associated Press reports that Proof’s family and friends gathered inside a home on Detroit’s Northwest side Tuesday afternoon. Proof is survived by his wife and five children.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 13th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Guage12 wrote:DAMN... :shock: Where there goes him being shot "innocently"....
seriously wow wtf is that

I thought he was supposedly a calm dude? Man.. this isn't gonna look good at his funeral, gonna be kinda awkward

IBFLIPINCHIKENS
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by IBFLIPINCHIKENS » April 14th, 2006, 12:01 pm

it just go's ta sho heer is another young brotha im sure with kids killed by another black man in his prime and fo what its a shame wake up black people or go down with the slave master

rummy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rummy » April 19th, 2006, 1:49 am

On behalf of all the GreenHuis Family in Amsterdam Holland and all the Jhook town boys in Peckham R.I.P Proof.

Benito Miranda

Unread post by Benito Miranda » April 19th, 2006, 8:53 am

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 19th, 2006, 3:08 pm

EVN - I'm just me... wrote:

I thought he was supposedly a calm dude? Man.. this isn't gonna look good at his funeral, gonna be kinda awkward
well im guessin of course the family are gonna say he shot first, so he gets off on "self defense" but yeah

im in the club to beef, you betta murda me there - proof -40 0z

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 19th, 2006, 5:04 pm

afakasi wrote:

well im guessin of course the family are gonna say he shot first, so he gets off on "self defense" but yeah

o crap, that's scary he said that..... :shock:

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » April 21st, 2006, 1:29 pm

well, who is next, 32 years old, too young to go. I know that I dont need to be at an after hours club at 5:00am.

good ol watts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by good ol watts » April 21st, 2006, 1:48 pm

On behalf of all the GreenHuis Family in Amsterdam Holland and all the Jhook town boys in Peckham R.I.P Proof.
:lol:

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 22nd, 2006, 5:10 am

afakasi wrote:

o crap, that's scary he said that..... :shock:
yeah and it'll be kinda weird watching the "toy soldiers" video now

but yeah shit, there goes another great rapper, who lives too fast and died so young

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 22nd, 2006, 1:42 am

alonso wrote:well, who is next, 32 years old, too young to go. I know that I dont need to be at an after hours club at 5:00am.
I wrote this article last month about PROOF's death.
http://www.streetgangs.com/magazine/060106proof.html

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 22nd, 2006, 1:54 am

alonso wrote:
alonso wrote:well, who is next, 32 years old, too young to go. I know that I dont need to be at an after hours club at 5:00am.
I wrote this article last month about PROOF's death.
http://www.streetgangs.com/magazine/060106proof.html
Great article Al and excellent advice.

BxMilitia
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BxMilitia » July 23rd, 2006, 8:59 am

man if niggaz start pullin out n popped my brother i would of shot the nigga up 2, no disrespect ta proof, i kno real niggaz gotta put it in when it's tyme, it aplies ta any street soldier, but u cant blame the nigga that shot him up...

BxMilitia
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BxMilitia » July 23rd, 2006, 9:01 am

pardon me, i meant cousin or however the bouncer wuz related 2 the victim

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 6th, 2006, 3:50 pm

BxMilitia wrote:pardon me, i meant cousin or however the bouncer wuz related 2 the victim
was this a question

YoungHustla
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by YoungHustla » August 8th, 2006, 4:03 pm

RIP PROOF. the media makin it look like he some type of Cold Blooded nigga. im pretty sure he shot him cuz the dude was prolly makin threats and in the 313 threats aint to be takin likely. i dont think a Rapper witta Million dollars to be made would just merk a nigga off GP. im pretty sure boy was poppin off sayin he would do dis and that so proof shot the nigga b4 he can get hit. and if any of yall niggas is from the streets you know that is Kill Or be Killed. i would of shot the mothafucka too. but then again the bouncer was justified for merking proof cuz if my cousin was in that position im sure that i would have shot him on the strength that proof was about to give it to em again. OH YEAH they said the nigga that prrof shot died? is that true?

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » August 13th, 2006, 9:27 am

Holy crap!

That really happened???

Damn...

Ok then what did Eminem say bout that?!

Cigguh

Unread post by Cigguh » November 15th, 2006, 11:12 am

RIP
He was my fav from d12.
He had his own style of flow and look, dunno how to tell, but something like snoop, pac,dre have, no matter where u are and where u from you're always surrounded by people who like dem.

casalem
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

RIP PROOF

Unread post by casalem » January 5th, 2007, 6:19 am

Im verry sorry for his murder,i think he was the best d12 rapper,except eminem,n this is a sad loss for hip hop fans.I remember that in the video of the eminem song "Like toy soldiers" he pretended to be shot to death n last april it really happened to him.
RIP Proof n have fun in the ghetto heaven with Pac,Biggie n all the others.