Someone who knows about Koreans?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Someone who knows about Koreans?

Unread post by Tyrant » May 20th, 2006, 11:20 am

All right so them Japanese ran Korea during WW2 (hope i got it right) then they changed the C to a K. Since Coreans control their own country now how come they will not change it bakc?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 20th, 2006, 4:00 pm

The C 2 K thing is sort of a rumor/urban myth.....

Seriously, the name of our country is Hanguk and the old name for our country is Chosun.

Either way, it's not even close to "Coryo/Corea/Korea"

It was called "corea/korea" because that was the kingdom when outsiders first came.

It's sort of like how people spell "Iraq." Technically it's al-Erâq, but there's nothing Iraqis can do to control how other spell their name. In Mexico they spell it "Irak" even

So whatever.

GWUN TWO
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GWUN TWO » May 28th, 2006, 6:59 pm

^ Actually there are still a lot of historians debating whether its an urban myth or not.

The official name is 'Dae Han Min Gook' which translated to Republic of Korea. Hanguk is just a shorter version of it. Choson/Josun was its name until 1897, then it changed to Korea/Corea so it could feel some kind of independence from Japan. Lot of Japanese still refer to Korea as 'Chosen' and this is where 'Chosenjin" comes from (deragtory word for Koreans)

GWUN TWO
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GWUN TWO » May 28th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Slakcs: Forgot to say in my last post that they did change the official spelling to Corea in 2003. http://www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/LPRU/newsa ... rt2657.txt

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » May 28th, 2006, 9:06 pm

GWUN TWO wrote:Slakcs: Forgot to say in my last post that they did change the official spelling to Corea in 2003. http://www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/LPRU/newsa ... rt2657.txt
is Corea suppose to be used internationally? cuzz i see Korea around like everywhere still

GWUN TWO
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by GWUN TWO » May 28th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Actually a lot of European and Spanish speaking countries have been using Corea for a while now.. for example, Korean is Coreano

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 29th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Slakcs n a Tshirt wrote:
GWUN TWO wrote:Slakcs: Forgot to say in my last post that they did change the official spelling to Corea in 2003. http://www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/LPRU/newsa ... rt2657.txt
is Corea suppose to be used internationally? cuzz i see Korea around like everywhere still
You can't force other countries on how to spell stuff, like EEUU is the USA in Mexico

Mexico I know says Corea.

Chosun is still used in North Korea but it really doesn't matter

lol interesting note technically it's more accurate to translate it to HanGook, but the "Gook" sorta changes in tranlsation.. :lol:

As for whether or not the c/k thing is urban myth or not.... whatever, HanGuk is my people no matter what the country's name is!

thonkoboy2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Harbor Area

Unread post by thonkoboy2000 » March 25th, 2008, 2:36 pm

used to be c but now its just k