Gangs & Racial Stereotypes in Long Beach Hate Trial

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » January 17th, 2007, 7:03 pm

by Earl Ofari Hutchinson

When the tall thin black teen with a ponytail took the stand to testify in his defense, the prosecutor loudly shouted at him from across the courtroom, "You're a naughty nasty gangster Crip." :shock: (maaaan, white folk, lol) His attorney hit the roof and the judge admonished the prosecutor to tone it down.

But the charge that Anthony Ross is a predatory gang member hung heavy in the courtroom air. Ross is the sole male defendant in the Long Beach Hate Crimes trial in which he and nine teen black teen girls are charged with beating three white women on Halloween night in Long Beach, California. The trial drew national attention when prosecutors slapped the teens with an added racially motivated hate crime charge.

But the added tag on Ross as a violent gangster raised yet another troubling issue in the explosive, racially charged case. That issue is whether black males are reflexively typed as gang members no matter their background. Ross is a clean-cut young man with no prior criminal record. There's no hint, other than the prosecutor's name calling, that he's had any gang involvement. The prosecutor's gang affiliation accusation could be easily dismissed as a routine case of a prosecutor engaging in courtroom theatrics to score points with the judge and to get a conviction.

But it's much more than that. The gang label is a legal tactic that more prosecutors are using in courtrooms across the country to help win convictions against young black male defendants especially in murder and assault cases. They haven't stopped with simply gang typecasting. They use violent rap lyrics found on or written by black defendants to also gain convictions. The prosecutor went one better with Ross. She cited his MySpace page and insisted that the letters in his space name were a secret code for Crip Killer. :shock:

Prosecutors say rap lyrics, and in the case of Ross's MySpace name, show their gang affiliation, and provide motive, intent and the state of mind of the defendants that commit violent crimes. Defense attorneys dispute this and say this confuses art and life and doesn't establish motive or intent. They say that prosecutor's use of rap lyrics is a subtle play on the prejudices of largely middle-class juries to get convictions.

Prosecutors get away with the tagging of young men such as Ross as a gangster in part because more young black males than ever are winding up a courtroom docket and many of them do have gang ties. The plague of gang killing and violence and murders in Los Angeles and other big cites has fueled even more intense public fear and a backlash against black lawbreakers.

But the gang tag against Ross sticks neatly in even greater part because of the relentless media and public tagging of young black males as gangsters. When some young blacks turn to gangs, guns and drugs, and terrorize their communities, much of the press busily titillates the public with inexhaustible features on the "crime prone," "crack plagued," "blood stained streets" of the ghetto. TV action news crews routinely stalk black neighborhoods filming busts for the nightly news.

The explosion of gangster rap and the spate of Hollywood ghetto films convinced many Americans that the gang lifestyle is the black lifestyle. They had ghastly visions of the hordes of gang members heading for their neighborhoods next. The overwhelming majority of the victims of gang attacks are blacks, and the violence almost is exclusively confined to battles over drugs and turf control in poor urban neighborhoods. But with public panic over gangs, and with few accurate numbers on just how many urban youth are actually gang members, some police and city officials play fast and loose with the numbers. In Los Angeles, police claim that more than 700 gangs with 40,000 members ply the streets of the city committing murder and mayhem. Police and city officials have tossed similar colossal figures on gang affiliation around in other big cities.

The gang numbers, whether real or wildly inflated, stir even greater public clamor for lawmakers, police and prosecutors to clean the streets of violent gang members. That includes using gang sweeps, court injunctions, stiff adult prison terms and incarceration for teens, and holding accused teens indefinitely in juvenile jail detention. The Long Beach defendants have been held without bail since Halloween night.

The gang tag on Ross, though there's no proof that he is a gang member, was more than enough for the prosecutor in Long Beach to try and toss the book at him. He and the other defendants vigorously protest their innocence, and there is much doubt whether some or even most of them actually took part in the attack. But if the judge convicts them, that almost certainly will trigger even more debate over whether they were convicted because of a vicious hate assault or because they fit a vicious racial profile. In the end, it could be both.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Re: Gangs & Racial Stereotypes in Long Beach Hate Trial

Unread post by 'X' » January 17th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Earl Ofari Hutchinson wrote: She(prosecutor) cited his MySpace page and insisted that the letters in his space name were a secret code for Crip Killer.

The youngsta has the F word spelled with two C's on his screen name and she saying that means "Crip Killer"... :?

straight bs...

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » January 17th, 2007, 7:29 pm

(maaaan, white folk, lol)
If you are going to say it AT LEAST have the balls to SAY IT. Reminds me of an ex of mine that had "fuck the popo" written over a tattoo in little tiny letters about that small too. Fuck it.......say that shit!!!!!!

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 18th, 2007, 10:08 pm

'X' wrote:Gangs & Racial Stereotypes in Long Beach Hate Trial
by Earl Ofari Hutchinson

When the tall thin black teen with a ponytail took the stand to testify in his defense, the prosecutor loudly shouted at him from across the courtroom, "You're a naughty nasty gangster Crip." :shock: (maaaan, white folk, lol) His attorney hit the roof and the judge admonished the prosecutor to tone it down.

..... She cited his MySpace page and insisted that the letters in his space name were a secret code for Crip Killer. :shock: [/b]
um...........WTF?????????????????????

I don't even know this dude but wtf?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 18th, 2007, 10:09 pm

how are they gonna say he's a "naughty nasty gangster Crip" AND a "Crip Killer" at THE SAME TIME??

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 18th, 2007, 10:28 pm

look at the first voice comment on his myspace page, it's by a white girl, which he supposedly hates?

DK
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by DK » January 25th, 2007, 2:14 am

'X' wrote:But if the judge convicts them, that almost certainly will trigger even more debate over whether they were convicted because of a vicious hate assault or because they fit a vicious racial profile. In the end, it could be both.[/b]
Most likely the latter.

DK
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by DK » January 25th, 2007, 2:20 am

'X' wrote:
Earl Ofari Hutchinson wrote: She(prosecutor) cited his MySpace page and insisted that the letters in his space name were a secret code for Crip Killer.

The youngsta has the F word spelled with two C's on his screen name and she saying that means "Crip Killer"... :?

straight bs...
LOL The problem with this kind of stuff is in the minds of a jury, or in this case, a judge, is that whether the defendant has gang affiliations or not, just the mention of possible affiliation automatically creates perceived guilt because they've been brainwashed by law enforcement that anything associated with the word "gang" is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » January 25th, 2007, 2:52 am

Christina Marie wrote:
(maaaan, white folk, lol)

LOL!

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 14th, 2007, 12:13 am

you guys get too technical the prosecutor's claim is on point regardless of all that shit about black stereotypes of gangs and blacks. the dude had the word "F U CC" on his myspace so he obviously does have some Crip gang influence, they just messed up and said crip killer and not blood killer.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 14th, 2007, 12:13 am

you guys get too technical the prosecutor's claim is on point regardless of all that shit about black stereotypes of gangs and blacks. the dude had the word "F U CC" on his myspace so he obviously does have some Crip gang influence, they just messed up and said crip killer and not blood killer.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 14th, 2007, 12:56 am

so, who gives a fucc.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » February 14th, 2007, 3:22 am

dudes be seemin to give a fucc

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 15th, 2007, 6:39 pm

you dudes never got anything to say when blacks commit injustices but your quick to point out injustice against black.

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff

Unread post by Aquafresh » February 15th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Who got a link to this dudes myspace.........

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » February 15th, 2007, 8:29 pm

LOL @ Myspace... yall some loosers.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 16th, 2007, 6:13 pm

if u talkking about me i dont have my space. second of all you sound like your on there alot asking for links nshyt. get a life.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 17th, 2007, 10:02 am

see thats why it's hard to trust certain latinos, look at you streets, you come on here talkin bout you chill with blacks knowin all the black hoods, they activities, and history but then you be spittin some bias shit, not givin a fuck if a black person is hurt, shot, or fucked up, but if it some other people and the perpetrator is black you on niggas nuts to condemn that black person. You seem like a bias backstabber. Thats why niggas can only try to trust they own, everyone else is too caught up in the white supremacy institution. Go chill with the "niggas" in CPT but continue to talk shit about em on the net.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 17th, 2007, 6:20 pm

im not backstabbing no one P. their guilty and you know this shit. What u think Long Beach in 2006 is like misissipi in 1966? Your trippin, when u see something that aint right then you gotta call that out. Your backing up these people on what basis??

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » February 17th, 2007, 6:42 pm

streetsIswatchin wrote:if u talkking about me i dont have my space. second of all you sound like your on there alot asking for links nshyt. get a life.
i ain't even referrin' to u nigga.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » February 17th, 2007, 9:54 pm

me either mane i was reffering to aquafresh

lexmark6364
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lexmark6364 » February 17th, 2007, 10:53 pm

does the east side of long beach hav a lot of blacks still or does the north hav a lot of blacks either

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 18th, 2007, 2:04 am

streetsIswatchin wrote:im not backstabbing no one P. their guilty and you know this shit. What u think Long Beach in 2006 is like misissipi in 1966? Your trippin, when u see something that aint right then you gotta call that out. Your backing up these people on what basis??
nigga aint backin shit up but askin you how you flip floppin, talking bout you cool with niggas then shit talkin on the race as a whole. I dont respect that shit...some mexicans and other latinos act up, but Im not here talkin on latin peoples as a whole cause that shit is twisted.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 8th, 2007, 10:03 pm

I was just in a laundromat and that b*tch was there. The one who falsely testified against five of the girls in this case was in the same laundromat as me, she was talking to some hippy white guy about her testifying against them and saying how it was so hard for her to "stand up for justice" and the guy was like "oh you're such a brave firl, we need people like you, keep changing the world, we need that." Apparently this was the first time he heard about the case.

I really wanted to walk over and do something but it's a girl I can't do nothing physical and since the case is over but being appealed if she claims she was threatened in the meantime it won't help anything. That was a crazy ass coincidence, sh*t feels surreal. I really wanted to at least tell the people she was tricking the truth about what she really "saw" and how full of sh*t she was, only wanting to get credit and attention from white people, and from the looks of it she actually got that scholarship that those sorry white people were pushing for her.

It's a small world.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 9th, 2007, 6:07 am

She has a lot of nerve to be talking about all that out in public

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 9th, 2007, 8:12 am

Christina Marie wrote:She has a lot of nerve to be talking about all that out in public
She had a lot of motive to ("Hey look I'm a hero") with little chance of repercussions - I guess she moved because I'm not in Long Beach and I think she thought no one would know about the case there. Hell I was surprised to find her.

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by pistolslanga » August 9th, 2007, 10:42 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:She has a lot of nerve to be talking about all that out in public
She had a lot of motive to ("Hey look I'm a hero") with little chance of repercussions - I guess she moved because I'm not in Long Beach and I think she thought no one would know about the case there. Hell I was surprised to find her.

mannnnn, you shoulda been like "shut the fukk up you liar" and told the real, you cant just be walkin with ya head down in silence. shoulda also told her that with her big mouth walkin around someones destined to shoot her.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 9th, 2007, 12:44 pm

pistolslanga wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

mannnnn, you shoulda been like "shut the #%@& up you liar" and told the real, you cant just be walkin with ya head down in silence. shoulda also told her that with her big mouth walkin around someones destined to shoot her.
I really, really wanted to but the last time some people called her out she turned it around and used that to say that she was being threatened by "their gang." This thing affects other people more than me, I won't be responsible for ruining their case appeal. But damn this is one of the few times I was really tempted to smack a woman

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 9th, 2007, 5:47 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
pistolslanga wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

mannnnn, you shoulda been like "shut the #%@& up you liar" and told the real, you cant just be walkin with ya head down in silence. shoulda also told her that with her big mouth walkin around someones destined to shoot her.
I really, really wanted to but the last time some people called her out she turned it around and used that to say that she was being threatened by "their gang." This thing affects other people more than me, I won't be responsible for ruining their case appeal. But damn this is one of the few times I was really tempted to smack a woman
Good call

necio
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by necio » November 1st, 2007, 10:18 am

at least they learned a lesson which is it all comes back,