Who out there used to box ?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Impala
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Who out there used to box ?

Unread post by Impala » March 4th, 2004, 11:44 pm

Who used to box?

I'm not talking street-fighting, I mean amatuer at the park, in the gym, with headgear and gloves...go to tournaments..win trophies etc.

Or pro even..tell the truth, no story-tellers..

I'll go first,

I started out boxing for Pico Rivera Boxing Club when I was a kid then went to stay with my sister and trained and boxed for Santa Ana Boxing (called ORCO Orange Co. Boxing Club back then) then boxed in the Marines for the 1st Marine Division Boxing Team.

I didn't start out so good with 4 straight losses my first 4 fights; then I got the hang of it and ended up doing O.K.

Record 12-8 from 80 to 88 (off and on not 8 yrs straight)

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Who out there used to box ?

Unread post by stateraised2000 » March 5th, 2004, 1:19 am

in soledad in '77 i use to box a taste in the gym on north facility. i had a thousand sparring sessions but no actual fights on record. but dammmmm, almost every one of them sparring sessions were serious. back in them days in soledad the OFFICAL boxing team from soledad use to fight outside squads from the marine base and other people and they had inter-instutional cards. like north facility vs central or north vs south...
also back then if you had a beef with someone there was always the option of taking it to the gym. you had to get em up undercover cause if the co's got wind of it it was all about that 128 or 115 (write-up's)...

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » March 6th, 2004, 11:46 am

IM CURENTLY A THAI BOXER AND I FIGHT IN THE SOUTH OF THAILAND .

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » March 6th, 2004, 12:24 pm

hey now, whats up homie...hey casper do they have very many light heavyweight or heavyweight fighters in thailand? seems like most of them thai fighters are in lighter divisions. by the way, whats your record casper? peace homeboy...

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » March 6th, 2004, 9:24 pm

MOST OF THAI FIGHTERS ARE LIGHT DIVISION THEY RARELY OVER 120 POUNDS
BUT A LOT OF VETS AND RETIRED BOXER FIGHT FOREIGNERS AT WHATEVER WEIGHT .... I USE TO FIGHT IN BANGKOK BUT NOW IM KIND OF RETIRED I DONT FIGHT SO OFTEN IM IN THE SOUTH MAKIN MONEY WITH DIVING ....MY REC 48 W\ 2 L\1D BUT MOST OF THE TIME IM DOIN SHOWS IN BARS AND FAKE FIGHTS IM TOO OLD FOR TRU FIGHTS I DID MY LAST ONE FEW MONTH AGO ...I TRAIN IN A BOXING CAMP AND IM MORE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RINGSIDE GIVIN ADVISES AND COATCHIN YOUNG BROTHAZ ...

Blues
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Blues » March 7th, 2004, 6:13 pm

Whut ya mean by fake fights?anyway you style of fighting uses punches,elbows,and kicks,am I right?Keep up the good work though.

Past
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Past » March 7th, 2004, 10:18 pm

I box at Wildcard Boxing Gym in Hollywood, California . I will go to Ameature boxing in summer. I should of went last summer but stuff didnt go out right.

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » March 7th, 2004, 11:14 pm

I been training a little with my brother lately. It clears your mind and gives you focus, more people need to start taking care of their bodies cuzz it helps your mind. He into the MMA stuff. He do some muay Thai, wrestling and kempo. He trained in kempo under Donnie Williams and Steve Muhammed the dudes who started the BKF, he was in the bkf for a while. Casper did you train out here first.

Unread post by Guest » March 8th, 2004, 12:38 am

casper u do muay thai? or regular american boxing

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » March 8th, 2004, 3:48 am

I do NHB MMA competitions...I hold a blk belt in Taekwondo Aikido and Juijistu... I started when I was 7yrs old and have been fighting nhb for 6yrs

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 8th, 2004, 12:43 pm

I trained jiujitsu with the Gracies and before that Okinawan Karate.

I think boxing or Muay Thai and Judo or Jujitsu or Brazilian Jiujitsu is the best combination in my opinion but everyone seems to have a different one.

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » March 8th, 2004, 7:04 pm

wcrockets wrote:I trained jiujitsu with the Gracies and before that Okinawan Karate.

I think boxing or Muay Thai and Judo or Jujitsu or Brazilian Jiujitsu is the best combination in my opinion but everyone seems to have a different one.
alot of the MMA fighters train in MT for strikes, Greco Roman wrestling for takedowns, Juijitsu for submissions and grapples... crosstraining is the key for success...

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 9th, 2004, 12:47 pm

Speaking of cross training; in the real world (not just the ring) some folks crosstrain in knife fighting and gunz too.

I've also seen folks try to master everything and not be very good at anything. I've also seen those who seem to know all the moves right out the book but have no deep technique acquired from a true authentic source.

I saw you claim a black belt in jiu-jitsu. That's no joke at the Gracie academy. A lot of other schools hand them out much faster.

Impala
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Impala » March 10th, 2004, 1:15 am

Question for Digital_Designs:

I've been thinking about getting into Aikido. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks, Impala

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » March 10th, 2004, 1:16 am

wcrockets wrote:Speaking of cross training; in the real world (not just the ring) some folks crosstrain in knife fighting and gunz too.

I've also seen folks try to master everything and not be very good at anything. I've also seen those who seem to know all the moves right out the book but have no deep technique acquired from a true authentic source.

I saw you claim a black belt in jiu-jitsu. That's no joke at the Gracie academy. A lot of other schools hand them out much faster.
I earned my belts, Ive been doing BJJ for about 9yrs and TKD and Aikido for 17yrs. Im not saying Im a master, but Im very comfortable with my skills when it comes time for a fight. You cant get in the cage/ring and be a pure striker (MT/TKD/AKB etc.) and expect to win consistantly. As soon as the fight hits the ground you are gonna get eaten alive. Just like if you are a ground fighter (BJJ/GRW etc.) if you cant get a takedown you will forced to standup and will get KTFO; thus the need for crosstraining ;). Which Gracie did you train under? I was at a seminar Rickson did a few years back and had the chance to roll with him. Needless to say he had me in a Kimura in about 5minutes and I was sore for about a week from im cranking the he11 out of my arm :(

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » March 10th, 2004, 1:29 am

Impala wrote:Question for Digital_Designs:

I've been thinking about getting into Aikido. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks, Impala
Instead of focusing on punching or kicking opponents, its teaches you to use an opponents own inertia/energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you. It is not a static art, but places great emphasis on motion and the dynamics of movement. Alot of women/smaller men /older people prefer it for that very reason.. (ex. why would a 5'2 102lb woman want to slug it out with a 6ft 250lb man when she could manipulate a throw and get a nerve lock in and have the man p1ssing in his pants :) )

Impala
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Impala » March 10th, 2004, 2:09 am

Your answer is just what I thought Aikido was; confirmed by you and I'm convinced to seriously go check out a Dojo here in the L. A. area.
Just to observe, then decide to commit.

Thanks again, Impala

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 10th, 2004, 10:21 am

Digital_Designs wrote:
wcrockets wrote:Speaking of cross training; in the real world (not just the ring) some folks crosstrain in knife fighting and gunz too.

I earned my belts, Ive been doing BJJ for about 9yrs and TKD and Aikido for 17yrs. Im not saying Im a master, but Im very comfortable with my skills when it comes time for a fight. You cant get in the cage/ring and be a pure striker (MT/TKD/AKB etc.) and expect to win consistantly. As soon as the fight hits the ground you are gonna get eaten alive. Just like if you are a ground fighter (BJJ/GRW etc.) if you cant get a takedown you will forced to standup and will get KTFO; thus the need for crosstraining ;). Which Gracie did you train under? I was at a seminar Rickson did a few years back and had the chance to roll with him. Needless to say he had me in a Kimura in about 5minutes and I was sore for about a week from im cranking the he11 out of my arm :(
That is the right time frame. You've got real skills then. Above and beyond. Funny thing about BJJ is there are some purple belts out there that can put it down. You don't often see that in other disciplines. I trained at the Ralph Gracie Academy. Rickson gets a lot of criticism from "internet warriors" because he doesn't choose to enter the ring that often but every single person who has ever rolled with him says exactly what you just said. You with the Machado's? PM me with it if you don't want it on the forum. Peace.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 10th, 2004, 10:25 am

Impala wrote:Your answer is just what I thought Aikido was; confirmed by you and I'm convinced to seriously go check out a Dojo here in the L. A. area.
Just to observe, then decide to commit.

Thanks again, Impala
Don't commit until you also check out BJJ Impala. You might find the environment and style more to your liking.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 10th, 2004, 10:33 am

That's a good ring record bgCASPER. Honestly, I think your life would make a great book. Peace.

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » March 11th, 2004, 12:29 am

wcrockets wrote:
Digital_Designs wrote:

That is the right time frame. You've got real skills then. Above and beyond. Funny thing about BJJ is there are some purple belts out there that can put it down. You don't often see that in other disciplines. I trained at the Ralph Gracie Academy. Rickson gets a lot of criticism from "internet warriors" because he doesn't choose to enter the ring that often but every single person who has ever rolled with him says exactly what you just said. You with the Machado's? PM me with it if you don't want it on the forum. Peace.
Im not with the Machados anymore.... Im training with Grappling Unlimited (team out of Hawaii). I was up in Iowa for 2weeks with Militech doing alot of work with Tim Silva for his UFC HW title defense in April.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » March 14th, 2004, 7:56 am

[quote="purplepeopleater"]casper u do muay thai? or regular american boxing[/quote]

IM INTO MUAY THAI ... AND THANKS ROCKET BUT AS U ALREADY NOTICED IM NOT A GOOD WRITER LOLOLOL

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 22nd, 2004, 5:50 pm

Your good enough. Papillon wrote his book in like several months while living in South America (he couldn't go home to France because he was an escaped convict in France) and he didn't know how to write any better. He just wrote it down, submitted it to a French Publisher and bam: book and movie.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » March 22nd, 2004, 6:35 pm

damm good book too. i read papillion about 20 years ago and still remember. that was a cold leper colony huh crockets?

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 23rd, 2004, 9:58 am

OMG StateRaised! Whoa. That place was Hell on earth. And he walked in there to get his business done. I don't know if I personally could sacrifice all to go there and encourage them but I know some people that could. That was a heavy place for sure.

juniorx
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by juniorx » July 31st, 2004, 6:09 am

i been Training Muay Thai / Kick Boxing .. Started off Boxing for a few years before i started Muay Thai.. which ive been doing for around 3-4Year.. all up Training Boxing/Kick Boxing about 5-6 Years.. was when i was around 11-13.. somewhere in there was when i started going to the Gym.. then all else followed from there