L.A GANG Movies, Los Angeles gangster films

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

L.A GANG Movies, Los Angeles gangster films

Unread post by bgcasper » July 6th, 2003, 8:58 pm

menace 2 society was all about grape st watts i was wondering how they did all those shootings in jordan down without gettin jack

boys in the hood was all about some young hoodstas in the creenshaw area ,it was obvious that the bad guys were from the stones because of that chicago bull logo .but the scene on the rails was shot in rollin 60's hood who is cut with a rail in the midle and they use to hang on those rails, them avenue 60's use to hang on hyde park blvd on the block were the rails touch the streets i think its between madden and 2nd av or something like that

iv' heard kody scott is going to shoot the moovie monster is there anybody with more infos about that ?

baby boy was shot in leimert park area home of the rollin 40's
but were was the park were the tinys got checked

C-rum
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by C-rum » July 7th, 2003, 7:15 pm

I heard they cancelled the Monster movie messed up though that wouldve been a killa movie. Another bomb g-flicc was AmericanMe an S.A. film

C-rum
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by C-rum » July 7th, 2003, 7:20 pm

Also in Menace II Society was they AgC's or GSC cuz I saw 116 hit up in there thats Avolon Gansgta aint it?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » July 7th, 2003, 8:50 pm

i didn't saw they hangin in 116 st and avalon on menace .and anyway you are right the only set who claim 116 as hood number is them avalon gangstaz ...but the whole movie was purple ...
i saw american me and it was the best jail gang movie i saw all in this movie was fucking true execpt that acording to la eme veteranos cadenas who named santana in the movie never got raped and never raped nobody .thats one of the reason why all people involved in this movie got killed .the first part of the movie was suposed to be duel vocation center were la eme started .the white guy really existed his name was peg leg
he was with cadenas the founding father of la eme ,and it may be the reason why la eme always was neutral towards arian brotherhoods and in conflics with black people .

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

how about

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » July 15th, 2003, 9:12 am

Anybody see "Boulevard Nights"? It's set in East L.A., 2 hoods going at it...VGV Varrio Grande Vista vs. 11st. It was cool. It showed the eastLos lowrider scene back in the 70's. Also showed the classic barrio warfare, but also went into the story of Chuco, who was a youngster putting in work. His older brother was from his hood too, but stopped hangin with the homeboys and concentrated on working at an auto shop and being with his old lady. So there was conflict between older brother(vet) and younger brother(peewee). I think that one's a classic too.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » July 15th, 2003, 9:27 am

cuzzz ,boulevard night is a classic !!!! i wish i could see it .....

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » July 15th, 2003, 4:52 pm

Maybe a lil off the subject, but do you remember in school filling out those bubbles under "race/ethnicity"...some Hispanics put themselves down as White/Anglo. I know some cats that are straight up white-washed, but their blood-line is pure Chicano/Mexicano. I think the older generation has strong views on race. I don't understand why they side with the aryans, but they do nonetheless.

Another movie, but I thought was dumb was that "Blood in Blood out" and "AngelTown". Those were just way 2 dumb to even consider as gangster movies.

gtrip

Unread post by gtrip » July 15th, 2003, 10:14 pm

the original gang movie that started it all COLORS im showing my age :lol:

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: L.A GANG MOOVIES

Unread post by wcrockets » July 18th, 2003, 12:49 pm

Colors only started it for your age group. There have been many gang movies over the years. Older people than you might say The Warriors started it all. Older people than them might say West Side Story started it all. Etc..

DRACC

Unread post by DRACC » July 18th, 2003, 8:24 pm

yo cuzz colors was some bullsh** if you ask me. i mean i didnt produce the movie or direct it. i guess in general it showed an overall view of the violence of l.a. gangs but cuzz that shi** pissed a lot of "those other guys" hoods off cuzz cause all it showed was the b-puppies gettin rode on . american me was a pretty tight movie. that movie blood in blood out was alright too.
but check this, does anybody remember " the life and time of sonny carson" the name might not be exactly right but it was' i think' it was about like vice lords in the chi or some hood up there. that movies was some real sh*&!

Unread post by Guest » July 21st, 2003, 1:48 am

A DOG WHAT YOU MEAN THE B-PUPPIES GETTIN RODE ON. I KNOW YOU DON'T MEAN B-DOGS BECAUSE DON'T GET IT TWISTED WHATEVER HAPPEN IN THAT MOVIE HAPPEN ON THE MOVIE, IT DON'T HAPPEN ON THE STREETS.

vt
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by vt » July 21st, 2003, 9:24 am

dracc, i think the movie you might be talking a bout is FIRST TIME FELON, THAT IS ABOUT A VICE LORD IN CHICAGO, IT STARRED OMAR EPPS, AND TRENCH WHO PLAYED A GANGSTER DISCIPLE...

Rossonero
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Rossonero » July 23rd, 2003, 6:50 am

I thought "Blood In Blood Out" was pretty good.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » July 23rd, 2003, 7:22 am

yeap the vatos locos esse !!!! the white boy was a bit too hollywood i prefer the white boy in american me anyway it was a remake of american me who was way more realist and way more hard core ...see in american me they use real varrios name like you had varrio hazard grande remember when they went across the wrong hood ,that was shot in ramona garden with real hazard gang members , and la primera is an old varrio who use to exist ,and in the pn they claim la eme wich is fuck!ng real who ever heard of that bullsh!t onda lol it was so real that they had real beef after that movie with la eme ....

Rossonero
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Rossonero » July 23rd, 2003, 8:20 am

Damn, real beef after a movie...I know a lotta the scenes there were shot from Quentin with real inmates. Have you ever done time there, or I'm sure summa your homies have been up there?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » July 23rd, 2003, 9:58 am

lol i have homies in most correctional facilities ... but lets move foward what i'v been thru is not the topic here lol...yes real beef ... they have executed most of the people who were from a gang and helped as gang counselor and directed the movie ,the actor and productor olmos is still on the run ,they had the autorisation to film that movie under one condition ,they wanted that movie to be real dark to keep the teens away from gangs.so they'v modified few points in the script ,and the original member of la eme wasn't happy with few points ...

civil_thor
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by civil_thor » August 2nd, 2003, 12:18 am

A movie I haven't seen anybody mention yet is Mi Vida Loca.. It was a independent film about Echo Park.. It didn't get too deep into the gang bangin side of things, but it focused on the females in the barrio. Wasn't all that exciting, but it was pretty real and fairly interesting. Salma Hayek was in it before she ever did anything big.

For all its flaws, Colors was at least entertaining. There's alot of truth to the conflict between Sean Penn's character and Robert Duvall's.. The young cop thinking he can take on the world and the more experienced cop knowing you have to do things a little differently, have "rapport", to get anything accomplished.

While I'm at it, the WORST gangsta movie I ever saw was (I think) called Kingpin.. Took place in Houston and was one of those cheezy stories where every banger was a kung fu master, every fight scene a corny Jackie Chan imitation. Don't bother watching it unless you're in the mood to bag on a crappy story with even crappier acting.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » August 2nd, 2003, 12:44 am

worth bangin moovie i saw was ,well the list is long ,so lets stick to major rotation moovies ,i think dangerous mind was one of the fakest chit i ever saw about gangs ,with that fake italiano chicano with travoltas face with a rockers look and that fake baiiach trying to educated those fake ass student ,the only good about this moovie was coolio song ...vida loca was good ...but talkin about independent moovies did yall saw eastsidaz ???? LOLOLOLOLOLOL WHAT A FAKE MOOVIE ABOUT FAKE TWINKSTERS ACTING LIKE THEY BALL ....LOLOLOL

MID TOWN

Unread post by MID TOWN » August 2nd, 2003, 12:27 pm

they filmed part of baby boy in the mid city area, same with boyz in the hood

Bulls Fan
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Bulls Fan » August 5th, 2003, 6:21 pm

I just saw Gang Tapes last night...

all i can say is "wow." I'd have to say my favorite quote from the movie is..

"What color is the flag? Red, White and Blue. What color did we pick? Red and Blue...whats left? White....see, we're just killing ourselves."

Another interesting part was when Kris was talking to the guy at the rail road tracks...

Anyway, good movie...very raw...i think EVERYONE who thinks life is peachy and everything will always go there way because they have money (i.e. rich kids from Orange County...lol) should watch this...

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » August 6th, 2003, 2:56 pm

That was a false sweeping generalization. Lot's of gang members in Orange County (especially Santa Ana). I'm trying to find that study that ranks Santa Ana third in number of gang members in California. It goes Los Angeles County, then City of Los Angeles, then Santa Ana.

Also check http://home.netcom.com/~fjobrien/stats.html

Bulls Fan
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Bulls Fan » August 6th, 2003, 8:49 pm

well sorry, what i mean was kids in Yorba Linda, Laguna, Irvine, etc. I just heard recently that some white kids started a racing crew/gang..."Yorba Linda Gangster Crip." Im not a crip or anything, but i cant help but think that their whole image is funded by the doctor/lawyer parents. Theyre wearing Express jeans, Armani polos, with a blue rag hanging out and they take off in their parents lexus...kinda ridiculous. At the same time, however; i cant really blame them because the glorification of gangsterism has reached suburban america through rap videos, movies, etc. "Everyone thinks its cool to C-Walk!" But if you ask half of the rich kids who do it, they dont know what the "C" stands for. Like I said, i dont speak on behalf of any real crip/bloods in here, and im not trying to pretend like i understand anything about gang lifestyle, im just saying my opinion. My point is, I think a lot of these kids with wealthy parents should just stay in school and get an education and be successful. They are lucky enough to have such priveledge. Many people in Compton, Watts, SC, etc etc...dont have that great opportunity...and its just sad to see someone who DOES...waste it.

I dont know if any of you know anyone from Yorba Linda, Irvine, or Laguna area, but its mostly republican, high income, white people. I just think that THOSE people should watch this TYPE of movie in order to gain somewhat of a better understanding. Obviously, they/I will never know what its really like, and only the real g's do...but still...nothing wrong with educating people on the perils of gang life as well.

oh and by the way, I apologize if is offended any real gang members from the Santa Ana area or Tustin area or whatever.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » August 6th, 2003, 9:32 pm

lol yorba linda gangsta ?? lol i think its just for fun lol i wonder if one of them got busted they gonna throw him in the county crip module ???lololol
you know they have a grave yard crips set in santa monica ,but they are victims of other hoods
but i think its good that those rich kids start crippin then i'm gonna start a south side beverly hills crips and recruit sons of lawyers,bankers ,movie star ...

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » August 7th, 2003, 5:28 am

24, 1996 Gang targeted actor, court documents say Los Angeles Times LOS ANGELES - Actor Edward James Olmos, whose film "American Me" angered the Mexican Mafia, was allegedly the target of an extortion plot by prison gang members. Although there have been long-standing suspicions that Olmos was targeted by the prison gang, it's the first time he's been named in a public document. The documents identify Olmos as a victim in one extortion count. Federal prosecutors declined to comment this week on whether Olmos gave the prison gang any money or property or whether he will be called as a witness. As for Olmos, court records state that he was targeted by reputed Mexican Mafia members in at least two 1994 meetings at which an FBI informant, Ernest "Chuco" Castro, was present.

olmos the autor of american me have a green ass

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » August 7th, 2003, 9:23 am

Bulls Fan, yes you are right about those areas. I see your point from your last post and agree with it. I've never seen any serious graffiti in those areas. The citizens won't tolerate it. Any problems they just call 911 and guess what; the police come fast when they call.

I've also heard a couple college students tell me that there were supposedly a multitude of gangs at UCI.. lol. Now that is all about fronting, chasing girls, and partying. Then getting up and going to class the next morning. If it were say, USC, it might make more sense.

Bulls Fan
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Bulls Fan » August 7th, 2003, 7:13 pm

wcrockets wrote:Bulls Fan, yes you are right about those areas. I see your point from your last post and agree with it. I've never seen any serious graffiti in those areas. The citizens won't tolerate it. Any problems they just call 911 and guess what; the police come fast when they call.

I've also heard a couple college students tell me that there were supposedly a multitude of gangs at UCI.. lol. Now that is all about fronting, chasing girls, and partying. Then getting up and going to class the next morning. If it were say, USC, it might make more sense.

Yeah the one at Irvine...i heard about that lol...they are trying to start an (exact words from these kids i met) "a crip CHAPTER at Irvine." ha! go figure. Maybe they should change it to "Chi Rho Iota Pi."

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: how about

Unread post by GIBBY » August 8th, 2003, 2:43 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:Anybody see "Boulevard Nights"? It's set in East L.A., 2 hoods going at it...VGV Varrio Grande Vista vs. 11st. It was cool. It showed the eastLos lowrider scene back in the 70's. Also showed the classic barrio warfare, but also went into the story of Chuco, who was a youngster putting in work. His older brother was from his hood too, but stopped hangin with the homeboys and concentrated on working at an auto shop and being with his old lady. So there was conflict between older brother(vet) and younger brother(peewee). I think that one's a classic too.
Yeah Blvd Nights is OG. They filmed it all up in the neighborhood and especially in The Hole. VGV was based on WF and 11st was based on VNE. Other movies filmed in the nieghborhhod have been COLORS, MI FAMILIA, AMERICAN ME, BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT,BREAKIN 2, GOTCHA, DUKE OF EARL etc

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » August 8th, 2003, 11:18 pm

i never saw boulevard night i really wanted to see that movie but couldn't find it ...

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » August 9th, 2003, 11:26 pm

A gang movie from the late 70's that's hard to find is "Walk Proud". It's about cholos from the Venice area. It's pretty good actually. They got the look of cholos from that period right on, better than "Blvd. Nights".

nemesi
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by nemesi » August 12th, 2003, 3:49 pm

If y'all like details: back in the day I caught a John Singleton interview.
He said the Furious' house (Boyz N the Hood) was placed on 5911 Cimarron Street (Rollin' 60 hood).
To me I thought it was a slight error, because you can read the number 5918 in front of the house (when Tre's rakin' the frontyard).
Then, they claim to be in Compton but listen: when Furious speaks about "what happened in black hoods" I can see a "W 27th ST" sign behind the gangsters...
You know there ain't a 27th Street sign in Compton!!!!
Ok, it's a movie, but... based on reality.
And about Training Day, like Casper said, the Damu hood was Jungle-Stones: PALMWOOD DRIVE to be precise.

Later, Nemesi.

Bulls Fan
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Bulls Fan » August 12th, 2003, 8:15 pm

i thought it was Imperial Court...or is that just the name of the community

nemesi
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by nemesi » August 13th, 2003, 12:28 am