Schwarzenegger Can Redeem Tookie — But Will He?

There is a rich history in our urban streets and many articles and documentaries are discussing these guys. Post your thoughts here about those O/Gs, Veteranos and other historical figures from the past.
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Tookie's Apology

Unread post by Common Sense » April 12th, 2004, 5:54 pm

Yea, Yea, I know many of you had already read his apology, but I felt it warranted it's on own thread for those that never read it. You never know it might do something for somebody out there.

The Apology

Twenty-five years ago when I created the Crips youth gang with Raymond Lee Washington in South Central Los Angeles, I never imagined Crips membership would one day spread throughout California, would spread to much of the rest of the nation and to cities in South Africa, where Crips copycat gangs have formed. I also didn't expect the Crips to end up ruining the lives of so many young people, especially young black men who have hurt other young black men.
Raymond was murdered in 1979. But if he were here, I believe he would be as troubled as I am by the Crips legacy.

So today I apologize to you all -- the children of America and South Africa -- who must cope every day with dangerous street gangs. I no longer participate in the so-called gangster lifestyle, and I deeply regret that I ever did.

As a contribution to the struggle to end child-on-child brutality and black-on-black brutality, I have written the Tookie Speaks Out Against Gang Violence children's book series. My goal is to reach as many young minds as possible to warn you about the perils of a gang lifestyle.

I am no longer "dys-educated" (disease educated). I am no longer part of the problem. Thanks to the Almighty, I am no longer sleepwalking through life.

I pray that one day my apology will be accepted. I also pray that your suffering, caused by gang violence, will soon come to an end as more gang members wake up and stop hurting themselves and others.

I vow to spend the rest of my life working toward solutions.

Amani (Peace),

Stanley "Tookie" Williams, Surviving Crips Co-Founder,
April 13, 1997

irdogg00
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Tookie's Apology

Unread post by irdogg00 » April 12th, 2004, 5:59 pm

An apology is not enough

nobody

Unread post by nobody » April 12th, 2004, 6:11 pm

why didnt he apoligize to the families of the people he killed?

T~

Unread post by T~ » April 12th, 2004, 8:28 pm

An Apology can never chage what he has done... but at least he has changed

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 13th, 2004, 12:25 am

Well at least he trying to help others not go down the path he has gone that right there out weighs his apology.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 13th, 2004, 12:26 am

Well at least he trying to help others not go down the path he has gone that right there out weighs his apology.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » April 13th, 2004, 2:55 am

damm, give the man a lil credit...he's been taking it a lil farther than just appologizing. hes putting that appology into action by trying to make some wrongs right. too bad theres NOT more of us who have been part of madness trying to help the lil homies NOT go where we been...

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 13th, 2004, 4:44 pm

stateraised2000 wrote:damm, give the man a lil credit...he's been taking it a lil farther than just appologizing. hes putting that appology into action by trying to make some wrongs right. too bad theres NOT more of us who have been part of madness trying to help the lil homies NOT go where we been...
Exactly!

Unread post by Guest » April 14th, 2004, 10:37 am

stateraised2000 wrote:damm, give the man a lil credit...he's been taking it a lil farther than just appologizing. hes putting that appology into action by trying to make some wrongs right. too bad theres NOT more of us who have been part of madness trying to help the lil homies NOT go where we been...
4 REAL! Let em know State!

XRAY2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by XRAY2 » April 14th, 2004, 11:41 am

THATS REAL,

WHAT HAPPENIN, HAPPENIN. THERE NO CHANGIN THAT
BUT GIVE HIM HIS RESPECT FOR AT LEAST PUTTIN EFFORT
TO AT LEAST APOLOGIZE EVERYONE ABOUT ALL OF THIS
EVEN THOUGH ITS OUT OF CONTROL NOW

irdogg00
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by irdogg00 » April 14th, 2004, 9:36 pm

What he started is genocide in the minority community that sh*t is like terminal cancer incurable! He better pray till he takes his last breath!

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 15th, 2004, 3:33 am

irdogg00 wrote:What he started is genocide in the minority community that sh*t is like terminal cancer incurable! He better pray till he takes his last breath!
Yo man understandable. But dude did not think it would spread as it did, and you cant judge a man until you wwalk in his shoes. We all may have done things we wish we can take back. and dude is standing up for his wrong doing, he cant change the world but at least he apologize and is helping lost souls turn there life around. What more can you expect. Remember God is a forgiving God he don't hate nobody, he see dudes heart.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 15th, 2004, 9:54 am

Tookie - RESPECT. Though the man did what he did, he ain't resonsible for the thousands after him. Yes, he made a monster alright, a frankenstien of the streets BUT - the man has found his redemption. He doesn't need to pray till he dies. He redeemed for sure. And thats the truth - any gangmember can follow his lead, his heart and guts. I respect the man, he has made a monster, realised and then turned away. What else can he do but try to communicate his apologies? He ain;t responsible for the modern Frankenstein....We need be inspired by his conversion.

XRAY2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by XRAY2 » April 15th, 2004, 9:59 am

Noog wrote:Tookie - RESPECT. Though the man did what he did, he ain't resonsible for the thousands after him. Yes, he made a monster alright, a frankenstien of the streets BUT - the man has found his redemption. He doesn't need to pray till he dies. He redeemed for sure. And thats the truth - any gangmember can follow his lead, his heart and guts. I respect the man, he has made a monster, realised and then turned away. What else can he do but try to communicate his apologies? He ain;t responsible for the modern Frankenstein....We need be inspired by his conversion.
THATS REAL TALK NOOG!

caineIsignz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by caineIsignz » April 23rd, 2004, 5:48 pm

Is he in jail now?
for life?

lb516
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by lb516 » April 23rd, 2004, 5:51 pm

caineIsignz wrote:Is he in jail now?
for life?
yes he is on death row

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » April 23rd, 2004, 6:07 pm

irdogg00 wrote:What he started is genocide in the minority community that sh*t is like terminal cancer incurable! He better pray till he takes his last breath!
'

Who passed you the right to judge the next man? What ever shall come to pass for Took will come to pass...that is between that man and the Most High.

What should or shouldn't happen to him ain't for you or me or anyone but GOD to decide.

If you harbor anger towards the an for his deeds then by all means be angry, that is your right. His part in gangs doesn't make him the ultimate responsibility for gang banging...let's be real. Those of us that chose to participate and grow the infection made our own choice to do so...all that man did was plant a seed and the rest of us nurtured it, watered it, and made it grow.

To place the brunt of the blame on him for what the state of affairs is in these streets would be no different than placing the blame on Adam & Eve for populating the earth and thus giving roots to serial killers, or hitler, etc...

Judge not lest ye be judged....each one take responsibility for their own actions. Those that stand afar and point fingers and condem are just as guilty for not taking a stand and making a commitment to boost some damn change.

Miss me with the overzealous religious condemnations.

caineIsignz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by caineIsignz » April 23rd, 2004, 6:09 pm

lb516 wrote:
for life?
yes he is on death row
so hes in a texas joint??

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » April 23rd, 2004, 6:12 pm

No. ^ he is in california...San Quinten Prison....death row

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » April 23rd, 2004, 7:16 pm

Tatta wrote:
'

Tata....preach brother!!! You are right. Blacks say that the white man shipped crack to our communities...but they didn't put guns to our head to deal it to our brothers , sisters,fathers and mothers!!! WAKE UP BLACK AND BROWN AMERICA!!!! WAKE UP Love your people.....but most important love yourselves and yo family!!!!

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 24th, 2004, 7:32 pm

lb516 wrote:
for life?
yes he is on death row
Dam. Did not know that.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » April 24th, 2004, 10:25 pm

Hopefully no one who reads this forum regularly, will have to go to death- row to find redemption.

Maybe if streetgangs forum or something similar was around during Tookie's time he would have fiqured it out somehow.

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 4th, 2004, 9:04 pm

I was very surprised at the number of people who had very negative comments about Tookie's apology. You should kno that his apology is just one of the things he has done. He has writtin, and continues to write children books that by my sight have changed lives of many children and kept many children out of gangs. He has also created a very well writtin peace treaty. In my opinion if we printed that out, we wudnt even have to change all that much about it to create another treaty these days. He has also writtin adult books. One of his new ones called "Blue Rage, Black Redemption" is comin out early May. I advise every body reading this to go buy that. I'm sure itll be very interesting for all. He also has had enoug ideas to create a movie called "Redemption" which I have seen a few times and it is very good and very insightful. For all who doubt the movie is the real thing, just know that every word spoken by Jamie Foxx (taking the role of Tookie) is exactly what Tookie himself said.

If u listen to sum of Tookie's radio broadcasts, interveiws, and books, u will find that hes not just apologizing for what he has created, but he asks GOD to forgive him. That is the single most important thing for him to do. God is the final judge, not the courtroom.

For all the big homies,older men in here. Try your best to keep any lil homie u kno out of the life of gangs. The OG's and other big homies that the lil homies look up to are the ones who are goin to be the most impressionable. The ones who have seen and felt the streets. Peace lies within each one of ourselves!

1 LOVE
WORLDWIDE
GANGWIDE

PEACE!

Dosborn
Location: Coming to a hood near you (but only for research purposes!)

Unread post by Dosborn » May 5th, 2004, 7:18 pm

Kids start gangs all the time, how was he to know it would turn into what it did? I'm from England so obviously have little idea of the reality of it all but my 'hoods beginning to be overrun by white gangs and their getting pretty big and pretty organised. If it escalates into similar gang culture (which i doubt it will) then i wouldn't blame the founders cos they have no idea what their starting. They're just kids looking for an identity and have listened to too much gangsta rap- unfortunate but reality.

Azn Gook
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Azn Gook » May 5th, 2004, 7:48 pm

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYY

TAADOW
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TAADOW » May 5th, 2004, 9:28 pm

SouLja4LyFe wrote:I was very surprised at the number of people who had very negative comments about Tookie's apology. You should kno that his apology is just one of the things he has done. He has writtin, and continues to write children books that by my sight have changed lives of many children and kept many children out of gangs. He has also created a very well writtin peace treaty. In my opinion if we printed that out, we wudnt even have to change all that much about it to create another treaty these days. He has also writtin adult books. One of his new ones called "Blue Rage, Black Redemption" is comin out early May. I advise every body reading this to go buy that. I'm sure itll be very interesting for all. He also has had enoug ideas to create a movie called "Redemption" which I have seen a few times and it is very good and very insightful. For all who doubt the movie is the real thing, just know that every word spoken by Jamie Foxx (taking the role of Tookie) is exactly what Tookie himself said.

If u listen to sum of Tookie's radio broadcasts, interveiws, and books, u will find that hes not just apologizing for what he has created, but he asks GOD to forgive him. That is the single most important thing for him to do. God is the final judge, not the courtroom.

For all the big homies,older men in here. Try your best to keep any lil homie u kno out of the life of gangs. The OG's and other big homies that the lil homies look up to are the ones who are goin to be the most impressionable. The ones who have seen and felt the streets. Peace lies within each one of ourselves!

1 LOVE
WORLDWIDE
GANGWIDE

PEACE!
WORD to that!...
1 LOVE Worldwide Gangster LOVE...
New Zealand..

T~

Unread post by T~ » May 6th, 2004, 8:19 am

Dosborn wrote:Kids start gangs all the time, how was he to know it would turn into what it did? I'm from England so obviously have little idea of the reality of it all but my 'hoods beginning to be overrun by white gangs and their getting pretty big and pretty organised. If it escalates into similar gang culture (which i doubt it will) then i wouldn't blame the founders cos they have no idea what their starting. They're just kids looking for an identity and have listened to too much gangsta rap- unfortunate but reality.
now thats the truth, how was he to know what kids are gonna do .

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 6th, 2004, 8:42 am

He didnt create crips with the expectations of it goin out of the naybahood. Let alone nation. He created it for his own protecton and the protection of his homies against other gangs around him. They rarely even killed each other wen it first started, they didnt even carry guns. All they did was fight with their fists like real men handlin their business.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » May 6th, 2004, 10:00 am

SouLja4LyFe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouLja4LyFe » May 6th, 2004, 10:25 am

Ive listened to those, they are from his site. I think he needs to put more out on the radio and recordings on hiss ite for ppl to listen to.

MS PFUNK

Unread post by MS PFUNK » May 8th, 2004, 6:16 am

Everyday when you wake if your mind, body, soul, and spirit, are that of a free nature then for the most part u are going to do what u want to do that day. Some people are easily led, some people easily lead. Depending on the situation and circumstances in your life and environment the choices that are put before you can be anywhere from blessings to curses. I'm sure given the circumstances of his life at the time when he decided to start his own "gang" he was definitely responding to his environment, not thinking about creating a worlwide environment of tragedy and negative notoriety. No one told the individuals who chose to become crips a month later or 15 yrs later to enter into a cypher of madness based on one mans vision because his vision was not known even to him at the time. And once he did become aware of what he had created, and once America became aware of what he had created; the hatred, the violence, the terror, the intensified union of bangin'; who in thier right mind would say thats something that I want to be a part of. I want to become a Crip and possibly get gunned down prematurely because Tookie started this and I wanna be down with him. NOONE. WHY? Because most of us that are gangmembers are living with situations and in environments that require some type of "stability" in order to cope with the day to day drama and insanity. What has proven to be most stable in the inner city and urban communities? Gangs. 20-30 years strong already for most sets and thats a good track record for any foundation or organization, just as it is a reliable track record for a gang. Thats what draws kids and even other nations and cultures to want to know more about and possibly be a part of. Whether you need the "family" attention, the feeling of belonging, the sense of being unfadable, or possibly just curious as to whats really going down, these and tons of other factors are the reasons why the Crip nation is still prevelant. Not Tookie, not in 2004. So try thinking with your logical mind instead of your devil mind. He no longer needs to pray until he takes his last breath, although I'm sure he will. What needs to take place is you getting down on your knees and submitting your mind and spirit to the real "Creator" for trying to do His job. You dont have that right and you never will, and as long as you maintain those destructive opinions and harbor within yourself obvious contempt for this mans role in life than you will never know the peace that even he has today, living on death row and all. And another thing I hate to inform you that u are in the extreme minority when it comes to this man never being able to right his wrong. It's funny how he was Nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Maybe you should shoot him a kite and ask him what did he have to endure and what type of compensation did he give back to the World not just LA, in order for him to be recognized for such an esteemed acknowledgement of moral value. You never know it might be what u need to redeem your soul and get right with Jah. Dont ever ridicule a man because he has decided to make ammends and right what ever wrongs he fill he has done, because when the time comes for the gavel to come down, the bible tells us, he will look away from u and say "I have never known you," and you will forever be condemed. On the other hand you could look at Tookie and see that he transformed his soul and his intentions in a positive manner. Even though the judge banged his gavel and sentenced him to life he will truly began to live after death despite what he founded. Because you see the only other thing the Father will say when he passes your eternal judgement is "You have done well, come home my child to the kingdom of heaven." And that is really all that matters. Not what u think of him, what I think of him, his victims, or his judges. In the end there is only One Judge, who passes one of two judgements, which reveal if we are truly going to "live" in vain or not. Get of your high horse before he knocks you off.

- TO THE REST OF THE FORUM I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH OF MY POST BUT SOME PEOPLE JUST NEED TO KNOW THAT BEING AN IDIOT CAN BE A ETERNAL MISTAKE.

Groove On
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Groove On » June 2nd, 2004, 9:07 pm

Salute the General. Because he's beeen their and one to talk about it