Mid 1990's Study: Koreans Perception of Blacks and Latino's

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Mid 1990's Study: Koreans Perception of Blacks and Latino's

Unread post by Common Sense » July 26th, 2004, 4:16 pm

This was a study I read a few years ago. I thought it would be interesting to share this study with those who are willing to take the time to read it. Some parts of it is actually disburbing, but is seem relevant to what's being discussed on the forum lately.

WHO IS MY NEIGHBOR? KOREANS PERCEPTION OF BLACKS AND LATINO'S AS EMPLOYEES, CUSTOMERS, AND NEIGHBORS.

BY IN -JIN YOON, PH.D

The purpose of the study was to explain why Korean store owners receive greater hostility and rejection from the Black community than from the Latino community. The study was conducted in December 1993 and March 1994 of 198 Korean store owners in Koreatown and South Central Los Angeles.

http://sociology.snu.ac.kr/isdpr/public ... 20Yoon.pdf

Tell me what you think?

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Mid 1990's Study: Koreans Perception of Blacks and Latin

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 26th, 2004, 5:37 pm

Damn. Them fools hate black people.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » July 26th, 2004, 6:28 pm

^^^
What's new?? Go into a liquor store or market and see this for yourself.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 26th, 2004, 9:28 pm

I think the situation is pretty F'd up and it DOES GO BOTH WAYS. The blacks in my opinion make themselves look stupid and jobless when they stand in front of a Korean store and boycott all day. If they (the blacks) truly wanted to be effective and have class....why not try a "silent boycott" and solicit black owned businesses that are competing with the Koreans? Then with the loss of business the Koreans may be a little more respectfull of the Blacks. I saw this same BS happen in NY and all that happened was that the blacks made a lot of noise and turned the public sentiment toward the "poor Korean immigrants".
My contact with the Korean immigrants was always a positive one. If you act like a scumbag they will see you as a scumbag....if you are an honorable MAN then they treat you with respect and HONOR.

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 27th, 2004, 12:48 pm

^^^^Some truth but mostly Bullsh!t. The immigrants when the are briefed in U.S. customs are taught that most blacks are criminals and not to trust them. And most are very damn rude as hell towards us. It aint got shit to do with us acting stupid and such many elder black people go to these stores for groceries and stuff and the the time the be selling us expired food some immigrants wont even give you your change back in your hand they'll just throw it on the counter. I agree with the silent boycott though because we stopped supporting a racist Korean up here and went to an Arab down the street who treated us with respect and put the Korean out of business. And they do got alot of damn nerve acting like that towards us. If it wasnt for us marching and protesting in the 60's and 70's alot of these immigrants wouldnt even have the rights and oppurtunities that they have to open up a store and such

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 27th, 2004, 2:09 pm

G bka C.rum wrote:^^^^Some truth but mostly Bullsh!t. The immigrants when the are briefed in U.S. customs are taught that most blacks are criminals and not to trust them. And most are very damn rude as hell towards us. It aint got stuff to do with us acting stupid and such many elder black people go to these stores for groceries and stuff and the the time the be selling us expired food some immigrants wont even give you your change back in your hand they'll just throw it on the counter. I agree with the silent boycott though because we stopped supporting a racist Korean up here and went to an Arab down the street who treated us with respect and put the Korean out of business. And they do got alot of damn nerve acting like that towards us. If it wasnt for us marching and protesting in the 60's and 70's alot of these immigrants wouldnt even have the rights and oppurtunities that they have to open up a store and such
Some older Koreans feel (according to the 10 year old study) that some blacks are arrogant, demanding, disrespectful, lazy, shiftless, and constently trying to pull nationalistic rank on them. They don't understand how Blacks are consistently a$$-ed out, when they speak fluent english, U.S. citizenship, and have all of the opportunity America has to offer. They feel they do much better with no english, no citizenship, and have come from another country.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 2:28 pm

Common sense. Wuts ur ethnicity? Are u a white boy?

Korean Black relations improved significantly after the 1992 LA Riots, where Korean store owners lost BILLIONS of dollars in burned down stores. Nowadays, you will find in almost every Korean liquor store that they hire at least one Black or Hispanic person. And the attitudes have improved significantly after 1992 Riots. Most of what Koreans know about Blacks is from the white media unfortunately. The common perception afterwards among black and korean leaders were that the white media pitted Blacks and Koreans against each other during the aftermath of the LA Riots where hundreds of people died.

Are you white COmmon Sense? If you avoid this question, I will presume you are.

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 27th, 2004, 2:34 pm

Of course they were nice when money was involved. After what happened they couldnt afford not to. We support about 70% of thier business so of course they started showing more respect later because their livelihood was on the line. The korean who we stopped supporting started trying to be cool to after we showed his a$$ we didnt need his store and he started going broke

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 2:38 pm

The tactices u use Common Sense is similar to how Chinese railroad workers and Irish workers were pitted against each other so that the white man could get cheaper wages. Subsequently, the discriminated Irish and CHinese killed each other, while the white man sat back and laughed all the way to the bank. This is a true story. Go look it up.

I don't think any Black person would ever be sick enough to try to pit Japanese and Koreans against each other even tho Koreans used to be slaves of Japanese up till 1950's. Fuck u white boy. Your tricks are as old as the devil himself.

BTW, I respect the opinions of Blacks on this board. Much has changed since 1992 LA Riots where over 2000 stores were burned to the ground. But it has all come with the efforts of Black and Korean leaders working together, and I doubt the leaders of that movement would trust the white man to improve the situation further. Only Korean-Black dialogue can improve the situation.
Last edited by never die inside on July 27th, 2004, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 27th, 2004, 2:43 pm

G bka C.rum wrote:Of course they were nice when money was involved. After what happened they couldnt afford not to. We support about 70% of thier business so of course they started showing more respect later because their livelihood was on the line. The korean who we stopped supporting started trying to be cool to after we showed his a$$ we didnt need his store and he started going broke
That is the thing to do C. rum. If you feel you are getting bad service from a merchant....don't do business with that merchant. The bottom line in business is....... the almighty dollar.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 27th, 2004, 2:47 pm

Saddam wrote:The tactices u use Common Sense is similar to how Chinese railroad workers and Irish workers were pitted against each other so that the white man could get cheaper wages. Subsequently, the discriminated Irish and CHinese killed each other, while the white man sat back and laughed all the way to the bank. This is a true story. Go look it up.

I don't think any Black person would ever be sick enough to try to pit Japanese and Koreans against each other even tho Koreans used to be slaves of Japanese up till 1950's. #%@& u white boy. Your tricks are as old as the devil himself.
Sadaam: My ethinicity doesn't have anything to do with your learning. Secondly, If you are offended by my tactics of making you think, you may want to consider not reading my post. I write for those that are willing to think rationally not emotionally.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 2:54 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Saddam wrote:The tactices u use Common Sense is similar to how Chinese railroad workers and Irish workers were pitted against each other so that the white man could get cheaper wages. Subsequently, the discriminated Irish and CHinese killed each other, while the white man sat back and laughed all the way to the bank. This is a true story. Go look it up.

I don't think any Black person would ever be sick enough to try to pit Japanese and Koreans against each other even tho Koreans used to be slaves of Japanese up till 1950's. #%@& u white boy. Your tricks are as old as the devil himself.
Sadaam: My ethinicity doesn't have anything to do with your learning. Secondly, If you are offended by my tactics of making you think, you may want to consider not reading my post. I write for those that are willing to think rationally not emotionally.
BS. Of course ur ethnicity has everyhthing to do with it. If a black person posted that topic, I would feel that it is genuine. But you are not black. You are white. Your own intentions are the central to this topic.

BTW, once again I state that Black Korean relations can only improve with dialogue between Blacks and Koreans. Why would a white person want Black Korean relations to improve?

JRatta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JRatta » July 27th, 2004, 3:01 pm

saddam u make me laugh....grow up u dumb fuck.

as for U.S. Customs teaching them to not trust black people.. thats just bullshyt. some people think that asian storeowners in L.A. dislike the black community simply because during the riots hundreds of asian-owned stores were looted and burnt to the ground....alot of them lost everything they had.

...I saw this shit on the news a while back where an asian storeowner was workin a register, and a black lady came up to the cash register with a carton of orange juice resting on her purse(in plain view, not like she was tryin to hide/steal it). the asian clerk pulled out a revolver and started to yell at her "you dont steal. dont steal!".. the black lady threw the orange juice on the counter and said "i was gunna pay for it u stupid b*tch" and started to walk out the store...the asian clerk shot the black lady IN THE BACK as she was walking out of the store, she didnt live.

...fucked up isnt it?....
Last edited by JRatta on July 27th, 2004, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 27th, 2004, 3:02 pm

Everything I post on this forum is genuine Sadaam. My reason of being here is genuine. I'm not here for entertainment or to "net bang". I'm here to pass on useful information and give a clue to the clueless.. popular or not. My comments and post are for the personal growth of the reader.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 3:04 pm

Common Sense wrote:Everything I post on this forum is genuine Sadaam. My reason of being here is genuine. I'm not here for entertainment or to "net bang". I here to pass on useful information popular or not. My comments and post are for the personal growth of the reader.
So... let me ask you then. Is the improvement of Korean Black relations or relations between Asians and Blacks as well as all minorities including Hispanics and Native Americans, and Arabs etc.. in your interest?

Is the issue of minority empowerment in your interest? Or not? Why cant u answer like a man? just say YES or NO. Stop acting like a girl when u ask her how many guys she slept with. ANSWER THE DAM QUESTION!

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » July 27th, 2004, 3:08 pm

JRatta wrote:I saw this stuff on the news a while back where an asian storeowner was workin a register, and a black lady came up to the cash register with a carton of orange juice resting on her purse(in plain view, not like she was tryin to hide/steal it). the asian clerk pulled out a revolver and started to yell at her "you dont steal. dont steal!".. the black lady threw the orange juice on the counter and said "i was gunna pay for it u stupid b*tch" and started to walk out the store...the asian clerk shot the black lady IN THE BACK as she was walking out of the store, she didnt live.

the situation between blacks/koreans could be changed tho
That was not a Black lady, that was a little (14 year old) Black girl. That also led to most of the anger that was exhibited during the 92 uprising.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 27th, 2004, 3:16 pm

Saddam wrote:
Common Sense wrote:Everything I post on this forum is genuine Sadaam. My reason of being here is genuine. I'm not here for entertainment or to "net bang". I here to pass on useful information popular or not. My comments and post are for the personal growth of the reader.
So... let me ask you then. Is the improvement of Korean Black relations or relations between Asians and Blacks as well as all minorities including Hispanics and Native Americans, and Arabs etc.. in your interest?

Is the issue of minority empowerment in your interest? Or not? Why cant u answer like a man? just say YES or NO. Stop acting like a girl when u ask her how many guys she slept with. ANSWER THE DAM QUESTION!
Good racial relations is good for the country in general.

What do you mean by minority empowerment? I believe every individual has the means to empower his or herself.

Stop acting like a girl? Your being sexist again!!!!

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » July 27th, 2004, 3:19 pm

Common Sense wrote:Everything I post on this forum is genuine Sadaam. My reason of being here is genuine. I'm not here for entertainment or to "net bang". I'm here to pass on useful information and give a clue to the clueless.. popular or not. My comments and post are for the personal growth of the reader.
^^^
There you go again ComSen, making folks think...pushing all the right buttons.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 3:19 pm

JRatta wrote:
...#%@& up isnt it?....
funny how u changed that last line. You admitted ur a white boy in an earlier post. Care to explain why u changed that last line twice??

Youre just another minority white boy in California. Sooner u accept your status, the sooner we can go on with our lives. Cracka biyatchhhhh!

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 27th, 2004, 10:48 pm

G bka C.rum wrote:^^^^Some truth but mostly Bullsh!t. The immigrants when the are briefed in U.S. customs are taught that most blacks are criminals and not to trust them. I agree with the silent boycott though because we stopped supporting a racist Korean up here and went to an Arab down the street who treated us with respect and put the Korean out of business.
Where's most of the BS from my statement? You just proved the point I was making.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 27th, 2004, 10:54 pm

Who gives a shit if Commonsense is white ,black, yellow, brown, or red? If he is making sense then what the fuck is wrong? The dude makes a lot of sense.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 27th, 2004, 11:20 pm

NYorker wrote:Who gives a stuff if Commonsense is white ,black, yellow, brown, or red? If he is making sense then what the #%@& is wrong? The dude makes a lot of sense.
Because Bush made a lot of sense in his case to go to war in Iraq. Just because someone makes sense, doesn't mean his intentions are good.

If commonsense was Black and had a bad experience with a Korean liquor store owner, then I would undestand.

Now if Commonsense was white, and wanted to divert attention away from the recent white bashing done by ME and others by bringing up the the LA Riots which happened TEN YEARS AGO, then I would say, he's bein shady. You don't deal with a bad economy by bringing up war. You dont deal with backlash against whites by bringing up 10 year old riots. Don't run away from me, deal with my arguments directly. Stop being such cowards, cmon its like 15 of you nazi's against me. Are u guys running out of ammunition that fast?

JRatta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JRatta » July 27th, 2004, 11:54 pm

Saddam wrote:
JRatta wrote:
...#%@& up isnt it?....
funny how u changed that last line. You admitted ur a white boy in an earlier post. Care to explain why u changed that last line twice??

Youre just another minority white boy in California. Sooner u accept your status, the sooner we can go on with our lives. Cracka biyatchhhhh!
i actually changed it once, but for some reason its the way it was the first time i posted it. when i changed it the last line was something about how alot of stores owned by asians were burnt down in the L.A. riots. i didnt realize that this story i posted happened before the riots.

by the way i'd like to know what u mean by my status huh? i'd like to know what race u are. so what if i'm white? does that change the way u read my posts? where are you from saddam? where did u grow up? ...cuz i'd like to know where bytchmade mutherfuhckers like u come from.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 28th, 2004, 12:56 am

Jratta:
My ethinicity doesn't have anything to do with your learning. Secondly, If you are offended by my tactics of making you think, you may want to consider not reading my post. I write for those that are willing to think rationally not emotionally. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRatta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JRatta » July 28th, 2004, 1:08 am

Saddam wrote:Jratta:
My ethinicity doesn't have anything to do with your learning. Secondly, If you are offended by my tactics of making you think, you may want to consider not reading my post. I write for those that are willing to think rationally not emotionally. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't know where to start with this one....
the reason why i asked u ur ethnicity is because u called me a cracka.. if u wanna make this sumthing of race i simply wanted to find out what urs was.

u need to make up ur mind about ur standpoint on things.. how u gunna "teach" me something when ur dumbass contradicts things u have said with every new post.

secondly.. u ignored my question on where ur from and where u grew up.

JRatta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JRatta » July 28th, 2004, 1:13 am

actually u ignored all my questions and u have ignored all the questions ive asked u in other posts... maybe ur startin to realize that ur a dumb bytchmade mutherfuhcker who cant get shyt straight...javascript:emoticon(':D')

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 28th, 2004, 1:19 am

I dont bang no more, I grew up in LA most my life. Lived up in the yay for a coupla years when my folks sent me there so I can get away from some shiet down here. My homies up there take care of ish for me, and I take care of ish for them down here in LA. Thats why I said wat I said earlier.

I dont wanna live anywhere else but LA. I been to NY and Chicago, and nah... it aint for me. The bay area is a cool place, its good to go there and
get lit up when u get sick of LA lifestyle...

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » August 2nd, 2004, 3:07 pm

Please man. Who runs the media and creates stereotypes put upon Blacks/Asians and others???

White people feed the stereotypes via the media to the rest of the world. Ever had a tourist come to your town and act paranoid around the Black people who live in your town???

Its not cuz Koreans or whoever were implanted with a "hate gene" against Blacks. ITs cuz in Asia, the most exposure to Blacks they get is from White business men and the White media they watch on t.v

I'm sure if more Blacks visited China and the rest of Asia and presented themselves to The Orientals rather than have their White business partners talk for them things, would be a bit better and different concerning the race relations between Blacks and Orientals/Asians.

So instead of watching Boyz in the hood and listening to 50cent, it would be cool to have Oriental people in China/Japan/Korea/Vietnam/etc etc meet up with Black people who are doctors, business people, nurses, teachers, actors, musicians, writers, journalist and many other positive roles.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » August 2nd, 2004, 4:17 pm

Saddam wrote:
NYorker wrote:Who gives a stuff if Commonsense is white ,black, yellow, brown, or red? If he is making sense then what the #%@& is wrong? The dude makes a lot of sense.
Because Bush made a lot of sense in his case to go to war in Iraq. Just because someone makes sense, doesn't mean his intentions are good.

If commonsense was Black and had a bad experience with a Korean liquor store owner, then I would undestand.

Now if Commonsense was white, and wanted to divert attention away from the recent white bashing done by ME and others by bringing up the the LA Riots which happened TEN YEARS AGO, then I would say, he's bein shady. You don't deal with a bad economy by bringing up war. You dont deal with backlash against whites by bringing up 10 year old riots. Don't run away from me, deal with my arguments directly. Stop being such cowards, cmon its like 15 of you nazi's against me. Are u guys running out of ammunition that fast?
^^^Good points Saddam, LOL Especially the devil(I mean Bush) comment
(oh hell, devil IS the right word for bush) He did make a good case for war huh? But like you said, what was his intentions?? Good point Saddam.

SUPPORT REPARATIONS!!!!

D.X.

SK

Unread post by SK » October 2nd, 2004, 2:44 am

interesting article man. its always been a subject i wanted to kno about.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » October 2nd, 2004, 9:34 am

SK wrote:interesting article man. its always been a subject i wanted to kno about.
It's a trip isn't it. You know there is a black rapist with a blue rag on his head going assulting women in Korea Town. He greet them in their native language, robs them, then get's his sexual assault on.

That really helps the black korean relations. Koreans already think black people are shiftless, stupid, and a bunch of savages. Now here comes homie.

If you read that article (i know it's long as hell), they say it's never the whites or the mexicans. It's the black people. That's why they have zero respect.

disclaimer: that doesn't represent the views of all koreans, so don't go rioting in the streets.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » October 2nd, 2004, 1:22 pm

Asian racism against blacks has little or nothing to do with the white media in my opinion. It 's a deep rooted cultural bias against non-Asians. I'm not saying there's a "hate gene" in Asian people but they're pretty damn racist!